Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I've found that in Options/Preferences/Overrides, I can uncheck the "Vary Style in Middle Choruses" box if I want to change the way the style shifts during a song, but unfortunately this sets the song so that the way the Style plays in Choruses 1 and 3 is also played in Chorus 2. I would like to achieve just the opposite of this.

OK, full disclosure, I'm still using v2017 on my laptop because for now it doesn't have room for anything else. So if this is a feature that's been included in later versions, please just say that.

You've probably run into this before -- I have a lot. You're browsing through the styles and you find a number that are just, for lack of a better word, flat boring in the first Chorus. But then the song hits the second chorus and everything wakes up. The drums are getting into it and some instrumentation that's been laying out during the first chorus jumps in, and all of a sudden it's a pretty cool sounding Style. Then Chorus 3 hits and things go back to sleep. Kinda frustrating.

The workaround I've been using for this is I export the tracks into Cakewalk and then just cut and paste what I want. This works fine, but it would be nice if I could do this internally with BiaB. I'm curious if anyone else feels similarly.

Veteran
Veteran
If I'm understanding correctly, you can probably achieve something similar if you unfold the song to be one long chorus, and then use type B part markers (green) throughout the entire song.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
This should play all three choruses with the upbeat B style you appear to like to hear. Give it a try.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (70.55 KB, 129 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Okay, I'd forgotten about the part B markers.

So, MusicStudent, you're saying to uncheck varying, correct? Makes sense.

Hey, I'll give it a try.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just a quick follow-up here. Unchecking "varying" and setting the whole tune to use Part B markers works well for my uses. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just another follow-up. I got to thinking about this. My original request was how to expand the second chorus to the whole song. Part B is not the same as what happens typically with a second chorus in a three chorus song. I've verified this. So I'm kinda back to my original question. Now, in most cases, Part B can suffice, but sometimes what happens in the 2nd chorus is nice and needs to be followed up on. I don't see an answer to this given the way BiaB is structured. I think the easiest way for me to expand the second chorus, if indeed I prefer it over Part B, is just to copy and paste inside full-blown DAW software, like Cakewalk. Simple, easy, effective. But it would be nice to keep everything inside BiaB.

Veteran
Veteran
Why not unfold the song? I always have the number of choruses set to 1. That way I can have any configuration I want such as having different chords in sections, different number of measures in a section, different styles and versions (A-B-etc), etc anyplace. YMMV

{edit} The only problem you may have is if you have over 255 measures.

Last edited by MarioD; 11/08/20 06:17 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, but by setting your choruses to 1, you'll never have the variation that occurs in the second chorus. I've even confirmed that, in a song with two choruses, the second chorus variation doesn't occur. A song needs a minimum of three choruses in order for the second chorus variation to occur. That's because the program is set up to provide the variation in a middle chorus. Inserting different styles and Part B's just skirts around the issue. It may work brilliantly constructing a piece of music this way, but it doesn't change that simple fact.

I have unfolded songs before, but I did so because I had a complex melody that never repeated. Otherwise, I see little point when I can cut and combine stuff in Cakewalk.

Speaking of multiple styles, here's another little trick I do with cakewalk. I will import a tune multiple times into cakewalk, each occurrence set to a different BiaB style. Then I will pick and choose instruments from the various styles and assemble my own style from them. I've been able to pull off some pretty remarkable stuff doing this. I've also been able to grow my number of BiaB instruments from five or six to fifteen, twenty, or more where I'll usually change out the instrumentation patches just so things don't sound monotonous. Not all playing at once, of course, but using them interleaved. Often I will modify the notation so that it all works together. Works very well.

I have yet to compose a piece of music that has more than 200 measures, much less 255. So this isn't something that I'd be worried about just yet.

Last edited by cooltouch; 11/08/20 08:14 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
To give extra emphasis, consider not just using B type part markers, but intersperse A type part markers is parts immediately before a B type part marker. The part markers generally introduce a fill on the preceding bar, and changing from a type A to a type B might contribute to the desired effect.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, this is another way to cleverly modify a style. But often in a second chorus, it's not just drum fills, it's the way various instruments are played. For example, in Chorus one, a piano part might be laying out mostly, hitting the occasional chord, where in the Second Chorus, the arrangement is much fuller. Or, another example, you'll often see an instrument that lays out entirely in CHorus one, but which comes to life in Chorus two. I don't think part markers would make a difference with something like this.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Yes, but by setting your choruses to 1, you'll never have the variation that occurs in the second chorus. I've even confirmed that, in a song with two choruses, the second chorus variation doesn't occur. A song needs a minimum of three choruses in order for the second chorus variation to occur. That's because the program is set up to provide the variation in a middle chorus. Inserting different styles and Part B's just skirts around the issue. It may work brilliantly constructing a piece of music this way, but it doesn't change that simple fact. >> << But often in a second chorus, it's not just drum fills, it's the way various instruments are played. For example, in Chorus one, a piano part might be laying out mostly, hitting the occasional chord, where in the Second Chorus, the arrangement is much fuller. Or, another example, you'll often see an instrument that lays out entirely in Chorus one, but which comes to life in Chorus two. I don't think part markers would make a difference with something like this. >>

I've confirmed this as well in the past.

<< I have yet to compose a piece of music that has more than 200 measures, much less 255. So this isn't something that I'd be worried about just yet. >>

Considering the 255 limit, if your project can be completed using less than 84 measures, you can repeat it 3 times and remain below the limit and then use that pleasing 2nd Chorus as your song. 84 X 3 = 252

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Speaking of multiple styles, here's another little trick I do with cakewalk. I will import a tune multiple times into cakewalk, each occurrence set to a different BiaB style. Then I will pick and choose instruments from the various styles and assemble my own style from them. I've been able to pull off some pretty remarkable stuff doing this. I've also been able to grow my number of BiaB instruments from five or six to fifteen, twenty, or more where I'll usually change out the instrumentation patches just so things don't sound monotonous. Not all playing at once, of course, but using them interleaved. Often I will modify the notation so that it all works together. Works very well. >>

Programming with Multi Styles is something BIAB does really well and it's a feature that's been around for a long time. I'm reposting my comment to a discussion on a BIAB Facebook page that revolved around BIAB being only good for jamming, simple songs, and scratch ideas and that anything more complex requires exporting BIAB generated tracks over into a DAW.

I'll repeat to you what I stated in that discussion, that I don't suggest you need to change your current workflow or that anything you are doing is wrong in any way, but I'm sure you will be amazed with the speed and ease you can replicate what you're currently doing with assembling your own custom styles using Cakewalk and even more, entirely within BIAB. It's easy to create custom Multi Styles and any project can have up to 24 Part Markers, each with two variations. PG Music staff has also created RealStyles that use the same instruments but each style will add a different soloist instrument. Many variations can be found in the Campfire Styles. For instance, you can start with a style that offers only a strumming acoustic guitar or fingerpicked guitar, the next style offers those same guitars in their own style. The style after that adds a fiddle, another may replace the fiddle with a mandolin, then another replaces the mandolin with a dobro and so on. Part markers can be replaced in any measure and as many times as desired and each offers an A and B variation the same as the Blue and Green Part Markers we are all familiar with.

In an attempt to help and inspire BIAB users. I want to correct some misconceptions of the ease of programming BIAB and its prowess as an alternative to a DAW.
The screen shot I've posted below is comprised of and executes four Styles, 20 Style changes, 8 guitar parts, some rhythm and two soloists, 2 saxophone soloists, 3 drum styles and 4 bass styles.
I calculate it takes 35 individual tracks to generate and export before you would even begin to cut and paste the tracks and create your arrangement to replicate this single render BIAB Chord Chart in a DAW.
It took about 3 minutes to write this Chord Chart, insert the part markers and generate. That's an impossible time to match with tracks exported from BIAB, opening and then importing them into a DAW and as stated, there's still all of the arranging of the tracks to do with a normal DAW workflow.
There's some pre-Chord Chart preparation in auditioning the Styles, selecting soloists and the other individual instruments but all of that has to occur regardless of whether the song is rendered in BIAB or moved to a DAW.
I'm not suggesting anyone should change any workflow you may be using, that's successful for you or that anything is wrong with what you're doing. All I'm saying is that BIAB can create a multi instrument, multi style, multi soloist complete song arrangement in a 3 minute programed, single first generation render.
All this is done with the tools and techniques you use every day and on every project but just doing in a way you haven't learned yet. The three video links attached provide all of the information necessary to those that may not know how to save a RealStyle, understand and apply Part Markers and how to audition Styles and RealTrack instruments for a song project.
Making Your Own RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a813VaOUNZM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows: Part Markers Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmcbwJDl1oA&t=146s
Band in a Box "How To Get A Fuller Sound Tutorial" Henry Clarke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjx_WMXwAs&t=71s

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Multi Styles.JPG (282.99 KB, 55 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cooltouch
Yes, this is another way to cleverly modify a style. But often in a second chorus, it's not just drum fills, it's the way various instruments are played. For example, in Chorus one, a piano part might be laying out mostly, hitting the occasional chord, where in the Second Chorus, the arrangement is much fuller.. I don't think part markers would make a difference with something like this.

Incorrect, The B Section will always play up-beat compared to the A section. So setting a B part marker will always wake up the band in some fashion.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK, color me impressed. It sure doesn't look like all that's going on just from looking at that image. I'm not following much of what you mention, so in my case I figure it would take me hours of study to finally manage to put together that piece in three minutes. Good to know, for sure, but for now, it's quicker for me to do it the way I've been doing it.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< so in my case I figure it would take me hours of study to finally manage to put together that piece in three minutes. >>

Not really. You already know 'how' to do it but just didn't know before now it could be done. You know how to assign Part Markers and what Part Markers do. So after you decide what instruments you want in a Style, what soloists and fill instruments you want to add to the Style you've chosen or created, it's a simple matter of saving the Style variations as custom Styles that are used throughout your song by assigning and placing them to come in and out using Part Markers. If you want two (or more) instruments to play simultaneously, it's just the matter of saving a custom Style with all the additional instruments to play and when they play. You can use existing Styles without any modifications or modify every existing Style in any configuration you want.

<< It sure doesn't look like all that's going on just from looking at that image. >>

You're right. You're giving instructions to BIAB and it executes it all in the background.

E
E
I've have the same problem. I have to wait through several boring choruses until I get to the cool-sounding one. Also, contrary to what some people said here, not all the b sections are cool. You have to get through several of them to get to the variation you want. Now I make "throwaway" choruses that repeat enough times to get to the good one. I start the playback at the measure right after the throwaways.

Agree that this solution is not great, and it would also be nice to be able to hear all of the variations in the stylepicker.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,111
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185