Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
NEW MACS ??/NEW ARM PROCESSORS ???ANY INFO ??

reading on the net bout this topic.
maybe an announcement this month ?? anyone got info. ?? processor speed etc etc.
it would be interesting if a mac mini arm based was priced for budget buyers.
4 ghz processor plus ssd for 700 bucks say.
with thunderbolt etc.
would be a big sales item imho.

the problem is budget buyers can buy xeon desktops (top intel processor.) based refurbs with win 7 or 10 on , which a user can stuff in multiple ssd's for around 6 or 700 bucks.
these xeons will run a slew of traks and plug ins .
trouble is these powerfull xeon refurbs sell fast.

anyhoo is there an apple announcement in november ??

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/05/20 07:20 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We have one of those ARM development systems in the office (Mac Mini) and we have been doing some testing on it. Can't say a lot about it as I haven't used it myself, but from what I hear BB 2020 is working fine on it.

*edit* I believe these are the specs for it: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-developer-transition-kit-dtk-specs.html

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 11/05/20 10:15 AM.

I work here
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon. respect and thanks for the reply.
i fully understand if you can only give so much info out.
(eg an NDA in place.)
but my interest is "piqued".
some q's. / metrics that interest me.

1.from totally cold boot, (not sleep mode), how long to boot to desktop in secs.
2. how long in secs to boot from the desktop into biab ?
3. how long in secs to boot from the desktop into apps like garageband and logic pro ?
4. assuming a biab song 3 and a half minutes long with every trak an RT (no plug ins.)
how long to export the stereo song wav , once biab is instructed to do so.
5. is everything snappy and fluid ??

respect.
oldmuso.

simon re dda console more respect lol.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/05/20 11:19 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Here is a cheap way https://www.tonymacx86.com/ why pay more for the same Intel hardware.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
pipeline.
re arm macs.
i'm just trying to keep an open mind.
you make a valid point. i just wish apple would see
the huge untapped market for affordable power machines.
10 ghz mini. lol.

my problem is i see these amazing xeon refurb deals that will blow the doors off for most project studios cos you can load them up with ssd's/ram etc.
example.
https://www.staples.ca/products/2980177-en-hp-refurbished-z440-workstation-gaming-desktop-35-ghz-intel-xeon-1630-v3-500-gb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-16-gb-ddr3-windows-10-pro
600 to 700 bucks.
also hp and dell and lenovo have sometimes amazeing deals
on refurb xeons and i7's etc on their web sites.
this type of machine (as your a reaper/biab/rb user) will be superb for that daw combo, or any daw combo for little money for that matter. they also have 1 yr warranty often.
just gotta test before buying.
you prolly know the mainboards are "industrial quality "often , compared to normal retail fare.
it amazes me that more pg users havent discovered these xeons (or i7's for that matter), and just go buy any old computer
which often costs way more.

see my dilemma ??

btw. thanks for that link. interesting info.
respect.
oldmuso.
ps pg should give you an award for your help on these forums.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/05/20 02:38 PM.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
pipeline.
(your the man.)
wait. are you saying that people are running mac os on those cheap refurb xeon beasts per your link ??
i was of the understanding people were doing that on new custom pc builds with expensive processors.
(per GS forums.)

what is really odd is any refurb ive bought ive had no win problems with.
my suspician is the people doing the refurb know their stuff.
very fast cold boots also.
that particular hp beast i linked to, i would replace the one non ssd drive with an ssd drive.
so it had 2 ssd's. i think certain refurbs will take 4 ssd's, depending on config.
that xeon has 8 usb 3 ports .

its amazeing. i'm seeing even under 200 buck i5 refurbs.
perfectly good for running biab/rb/reaps as long as one dont go nuts with a slew of over the top cpu hogging plug ins.
ie 250 traks, 250 plug ins lol.

i do like the mac mini. its cute. like the PI.
i'd just like to know some performance metrics.
whats your rig ?(i7/ssd ?)

btw i was reading up on slate digital.
new interface, custom chip engineering ?
one millisecond latency ? kinda knocked me for six.
but outta my budget.
it seems more sub 3 ms interfaces are starting to come out ? good times coming.
whats your read on usb4 ?? wicked transfer speed.

best.
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/06/20 02:27 AM.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i5 SSD 16GB
SSD makes the main difference.
Refurbished are fine, plenty of room in that for more drives, you can multiboot any OS on it.
That will be fine for Biab.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
simon. respect and thanks for the reply.
i fully understand if you can only give so much info out.
(eg an NDA in place.)
but my interest is "piqued".
some q's. / metrics that interest me.

1.from totally cold boot, (not sleep mode), how long to boot to desktop in secs.
2. how long in secs to boot from the desktop into biab ?
3. how long in secs to boot from the desktop into apps like garageband and logic pro ?
4. assuming a biab song 3 and a half minutes long with every trak an RT (no plug ins.)
how long to export the stereo song wav , once biab is instructed to do so.
5. is everything snappy and fluid ??

respect.
oldmuso.

I can't comment at all, because I haven't used it at all myself. There are a few benchmarks floating around though: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/mac/apple-arm-powered-mac-mini-benchmark-developers/
A thing to keep in mind though is that since it's an ARM chip, any existing apps that aren't developed for ARM are gonna be running through Rosetta 2, and that can slow things down (much like Rosetta when Apple moved from PPC to Intel) as now you're having to emulate a CISC architecture on a RISC chip.

simon re dda console more respect lol.

Word!

Regarding refurb computers, every refurb I've ever bought has been well worth it. Refurb Mac computers, refurb HP desktops and laptops, refurb Lenovo, always good, and much faster and cheaper than something brand new.

Regarding USB4 for audio interfaces, I don't believe it's necessary. Companies have made sub-3ms interfaces on USB2 over a decade ago (Fireface UC as an example)! Certainly the higher data speed is good, but lets do the math - one channel at 24-bit 192khz is around 4.6mbps, and USB 2.0 is around 480mbps, so that's not an issue for a few dozen channels. Going further, at 480mbps a single 24-bit sample takes about 50 nanoseconds to transfer. USB 3.0 cuts those figures by 10, and USB 4.0 would cut it again by 8.

Realistically, you can expect USB2 to have a lot of overhead which can slow things down a little, but the big bottleneck with latency is always gonna be drivers and CPU.

I work here
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
1.as always spot on.
nice to meet a kindred refurb spirit.
cant beat them.
2.re dda. mic pre's.
its fun to try and build ones own mic pre's.
(on gearslutz is geekslutz forum. )
lots of vintage schems on net .
i just stay away from tubes cos they scare me lol.
for fun google the 5 dollar mic pre schematic.
then go to gearslutz, put in 5 dollar mic pre in search.
hilarious thread where it fooled some engrs in tests
against expensive pre's.
3. usb4. yup good points.

best.
oldmuso.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
simon.
1.as always spot on.
nice to meet a kindred refurb spirit.
cant beat them.
2.re dda. mic pre's.
its fun to try and build ones own mic pre's.
(on gearslutz is geekslutz forum. )
lots of vintage schems on net .
i just stay away from tubes cos they scare me lol.
for fun google the 5 dollar mic pre schematic.
then go to gearslutz, put in 5 dollar mic pre in search.
hilarious thread where it fooled some engrs in tests
against expensive pre's.
3. usb4. yup good points.

best.
oldmuso.

The DDA mic pre uses nearly the same chip as the 5-dollar mic pre (I think the INA217 or similar), just with a bit more filtering and a good power supply (the PSU is in my rack and does all the AC-DC conversion so the board doesn't have any 60hz AC anywhere near it).

I actually built a handful of the 5-dollar mic preamps (with the SSM2019 chip rather than the INA217, but similar enough), but rather than running from a stack of 9v batteries I built some beefy +-15v power supplies and added a switchable pad and high pass - then built them into a couple shielded enclosures (shielded with foil tape on the inside - added nearly 20db noise reduction), and eventually rackmounted a stereo pair with a fat toroidal power transformer.

We put the 4 of them up against everything we had in the studio (which included a pair of API 512C, an LA-610 MKii, an Avalon 737, a Drawmer 1960, a TL Audio CL-1, and the preamps in an SSL Duality) and - there was no winner. They were all equally good. Popular vote were that my slightly-more-than-five-dollar preamps were the most similar to the Avalon, interestingly enough!

Attached a pic of my "5-dollar" preamps.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Image from iOS.jpg (326.52 KB, 45 downloads)

I work here
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
holy moly. i used to do diy.
my wife says "do the dishes" lol.
uber nice.
yeh the thing that drove me nuts was the bi polar op amp
power supplies. i think there are chips to do that now.
ps did you see my latency thread and the fact slate digital
under 1ms ??. outside my budget.
best.
oldmuso.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks! The power supplies I designed for these are a fairly standard dual linear supply, from a centre tapped transformer, 7815 and 7915 regulators and an LM317 for +48v. Nothing too fancy, just trying to make them as clean as possible without introducing any switching noise. I measured EIN at around -120db, which is similar to the aforementioned Avalons and APIs.

Just saw your thread about latency, I'll have a proper look tomorrow.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195