Print Thread
Go To
#622923 11/12/20 03:37 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ah, the audio chord wizard.

Would someone be willing to play along here and replicate what I did? If YOU get correct results then I am doing it wrong.

I downloaded the audio from the MP3 at THIS LOCATION. It's Diana Krall's cover of I Can't Give You Anything But Love. I imported that file into Real band. The tempo is way off, but that's okay for now because that's not the issue.

Once that file was in Real Band I ran the famous Audio Chord Wizard, which, if I understand correctly, is supposed to create a chord chart of what it hears. I watched it populate, then picked a style, and generated the song. It sounded like 3 cats running back and forth inside a piano. It is nowhere close to the song file. Either I am doing it wrong, or it just doesn't work.

So, would someone go to that link, grab that file (you DO know how to capture audio from a Youtube video, right? If not, PM me and I will send you the extracted MP3.) and run it through the ACW and see if it comes up with anything close for you. I may just not know how to use it, but it seems really straightforward so I don't know what there is to do wrong. I actually laughed out loud when I played back what Real Band heard and wrote.

Actually, here's the link to that file on my Google Drive. I SO want to do a version of this song with a country swing with fiddles and horns feel and I can't get the thing to print out a good chord chart.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ft0VyrxqQs33B9H-vjs8MCnqGshaXisG/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/12/20 03:40 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #622928 11/12/20 04:10 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I ran the famous Audio Chord Wizard, which, if I understand correctly, is supposed to create a chord chart of what it hears. I watched it populate, then picked a style, and generated the song. It sounded like 3 cats running back and forth inside a piano. It is nowhere close to the song file.

I tried ACW once or twice and got fairly useless results. Way faster to just enter the chords myself.

eddie1261 #622929 11/12/20 04:11 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not what you asked for but it is so quick to use so I just gave it a shot. Riff Station is my go to to grab chords from an audio file. Takes about 10 seconds. My experience with ACW is similar to yours so I don't use it much.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (49.67 KB, 160 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #622956 11/13/20 02:53 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
eddie.
the acw has worked pretty ok for me.
some tips.
1. ensure you cut out any dead space at beginning of audio. IMPORTANT !
2. if audio is noisy use a noise reducer. (i use reafir in reaper.)
3. remember to SET BAR 1 in the acw, which if youve cut out beginning
dead space is easy in the acw extreme left.
4. remember to set correct key and tempo in biab.
5. remember to mute original imported audio in biab audio trak.
6. when you see the final biab chord screen from acw.
listen carefully to the chords. you might have to make some adjustments.
THEN start choosing the RT's you want from the real traks picker etc.

i dont have lots of time right now, but i like a gonzo challenge, so i'll import that krall tune later if you tube has it, and have a go with acw.

failing all else. chords for most popular songs are all over the net.
if your stuck. but i dont like to cheat. i figure it out.
your an experienced musician so any song should be a doddle.
as an old gifted muso friend of mine from years ago used to say.
"the bass gives ALL THE CHORDS away"lol.

best.
oldmuso.

ps re the song. thats a good old oldie.
my parents who were musicians (sadly gone now) loved that tune. ok versions are on you tube.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/13/20 03:02 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
DrDan #622962 11/13/20 03:42 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Not what you asked for but it is so quick to use so I just gave it a shot. Riff Station is my go to to grab chords from an audio file. Takes about 10 seconds. My experience with ACW is similar to yours so I don't use it much.

Likewise here I can't praise Riffstation enough, good at basic chord detection and even better when you want to learn a song, load the song, slow it down loop a section.

Brilliant app. I have uploaded the exe to google drive as its free software anyways

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RxFt_2kfFk5yUzTRuQIWckI-T_R8RwOe/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Riffstation.jpg (182.79 KB, 122 downloads)
Last edited by musiclover; 11/13/20 04:07 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
eddie1261 #622981 11/13/20 04:59 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was looking for a backing track for There Will Never Be Another You and found this on Youtube. The channel is called Backingtracks JAZZ. Do we know who this might be? It was obviously done in RB. Some of these chords and voicings make it above my pay grade to catch the flavors and such of jazz tracks. This may have been entered from a fake book or something since it's a standard, but still.... I should probably buy a Real Book and a Fake Book.

And down the Amazon rabbit hole I go!

EDIT: And down that hole I find SIX volumes of Real Book! And no index to see what songs are in each volume. At least not on Amazon. So off to find the original web page where that index might be available. And THIS scatterbrained ADHD course of action is how I live.

Every.
Single.
Day.

"Got to get this lawn mowed to chew up the leaves that have fallen from all these.... Oh look! That cloud looks like a donut." And off to Dunkin' Donuts I go. And on the way to Dunkin' Donuts I pass a bus with an ad on the side of it, and it's something I may be interested in so I take a pic of it with my phone, and I pull off to call the number. Which leads to a 15 minute conversation that somewhere includes sneakers, so off to Sketchers I go to look at new sneakers. But that is next door to a Dollar Tree and I remember I need something for what I plan to make for dinner. But I can't find it there so I go to another store and as I walk around that store I find 7 other things and toss them into the cart and never buy what I went into the store for. And then the dog starts whining to go for a walk so off to the park we go... and still didn't get the donut or the sneakers.

And on and on exactly like that. For about 17 hours a day until I go to bed at 11 only to lay awake thinking like that until 1 and then a big dog wakes me at 8 to let him out and feed him. It is REALLY difficult living this way. And somehow, the VA says I am NOT afflicted with ADD! I seriously understand why I have a dozen half started pages of lyrics, song files that are either a verse or a chorus that I never get back to.... In this case 2 songs that are priority are in Volume 1, so....

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/13/20 05:43 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
musiclover #622989 11/13/20 05:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover

Brilliant app. I have uploaded the exe to google drive as its free software anyways

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RxFt_2kfFk5yUzTRuQIWckI-T_R8RwOe/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the reference. Every Musicians computer should have this little app for when the need arises. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #622993 11/13/20 05:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Every Musicians computer should have this little app for when the need arises.

THIS musician will be buying it. After the 30 day trial does it just quit working or nag you to buy it? Just using it for 3 songs I see it is a great tool. VERY close on chords and the only chords I have had to change are those ambiguous chords like how an Em7 could be interpreted as a G major kind of thing.

eddie1261 #622995 11/13/20 05:48 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Eddie, go to Note Norton's site, http://nortonmusic.com/
and look at the fake and real book disks that he has listed. Buy one of them and then buy the corresponding fake and/or real book.
He has the chords and a style in the BiaB format so all you have to do is to play along. I find them to be a great time saver and I highly recommend them.

Note that I do not work for Notes, I just like these fake disks.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
eddie1261 #622997 11/13/20 05:59 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Every Musicians computer should have this little app for when the need arises.

THIS musician will be buying it. After the 30 day trial does it just quit working or nag you to buy it? Just using it for 3 songs I see it is a great tool. VERY close on chords and the only chords I have had to change are those ambiguous chords like how an Em7 could be interpreted as a G major kind of thing.

If you donwloaded it form my drive link then maybe I had uploaded it when it was actually a pay for, which I did do at the time, but was made free a few years ago.

I have a few version on drive, try this one.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1j29HpLC1hF7roeGq_CKl8MP1SVZEyQWh?usp=sharing.

Hope that one is the free one.

Last edited by musiclover; 11/13/20 05:59 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
musiclover #635977 01/12/21 08:04 AM
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: musiclover

If you donwloaded it form my drive link then maybe I had uploaded it when it was actually a pay for, which I did do at the time, but was made free a few years ago.

I have a few version on drive, try this one.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1j29HpLC1hF7roeGq_CKl8MP1SVZEyQWh?usp=sharing.

Hope that one is the free one.

Thank you Musiclover - great app and works a treat from your link :-)

All the best.

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199