Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL

I have been trying to install one of those buttons on my guitar!!

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/16/20 11:32 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I ordered one of these but it never arrived.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep, I hear you. I been working hard at that idea.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
There are other things I am doing on the computer beside music. Video for one thing.
...I don't know what I may want to do with a computer in the near future so I set a budget of around $2000 and want the best machine I can build for that amount of money.

I was in a similar situation. I've mostly got Dell refurbs for years and wanted to upgrade my Dell Precision T5400 Engineering Workstation a couple of years ago. I too do video editing and also fly flight simulators (Big resource hog). It would take about 30-45 minutes to render a 5 minute 4K video even though the specs were good. I got real lucky on Ebay and found a Dell Precision 7920 Engineering Workstation (basically a server in a PC case) that had stacked features in which it would have cost about $10K at retail price. I found it from a reputable seller and was able to get it for $3K. That 5 minute 4K video now takes only about a minute or two to render. Lots of time saving. Going from 8 to 64 cores really helped on that. Needless to say that flight simming and music production are a breeze on this monster. Once the pricing comes down a little, I could even expand on the CPUs but I think I future proofed it by getting what I did. I shouldn't have to upgrade for years.

Basic specs:
128 GB RAM
(2) Intel Xeon Platinum 8153 CPUs @ 2 GHz each, 16 cores each processor for 32 cores total, 64 cores including logical.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics card - Barely wedged that in the case.
C:\ 1TB SSD - Operating System & Apps
D:\ 2TB HDD - Media Storage
E:\ 250GB SSD - Working drive for music/video projects

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
CPUs.jpg (141.62 KB, 119 downloads)
64 processors baby!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
There are other things I am doing on the computer beside music. Video for one thing.
...I don't know what I may want to do with a computer in the near future so I set a budget of around $2000 and want the best machine I can build for that amount of money.

I was in a similar situation. I've mostly got Dell refurbs for years and wanted to upgrade my Dell Precision T5400 Engineering Workstation a couple of years ago. I too do video editing and also fly flight simulators (Big resource hog). It would take about 30-45 minutes to render a 5 minute 4K video even though the specs were good. I got real lucky on Ebay and found a Dell Precision 7920 Engineering Workstation (basically a server in a PC case) that had stacked features in which it would have cost about $10K at retail price. I found it from a reputable seller and was able to get it for $3K. That 5 minute 4K video now takes only about a minute or two to render. Lots of time saving. Going from 8 to 64 cores really helped on that. Needless to say that flight simming and music production are a breeze on this monster. Once the pricing comes down a little, I could even expand on the CPUs but I think I future proofed it by getting what I did. I shouldn't have to upgrade for years.

Basic specs:
128 GB RAM
(2) Intel Xeon Platinum 8153 CPUs @ 2 GHz each, 16 cores each processor for 32 cores total, 64 cores including logical.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics card - Barely wedged that in the case.
C:\ 1TB SSD - Operating System & Apps
D:\ 2TB HDD - Media Storage
E:\ 250GB SSD - Working drive for music/video projects

This is a really good idea when buying a used machine. There are a lot of corporate places selling off machines of this type. A lot of times the want to move off the Microsoft platform and go to something much more professional like UNIX. If it is mission critical it is probably not running on Windows.

A good idea I had not thought of for a while.

THanks,

Billy

Steve, check this one out. https://www.ebay.com/p/2286707950

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/16/20 07:06 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, impressive screen capture. Very impressive grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
sslecta.
omg WELL DONE .
do me a favour would you ??
call it tech curiosity. pretty please. lol.

please open up realband and action>> test audio performance.
tell me how many traks that beast will do reported by rb will you ?? i bet its huge.

re unix.
i would love to see a baby distro OS that ran biab/rb/reaper.
well actually what i want is the two major win/apple
platforms OS's to be way leaned down to be offered as a pro
audio OS. as an option. get rid of everything else but audio support.

i'm jealous of you fly boys lol.

best.
muso.
ps at the other end of the scale lol.
35 buk raspberry pi. notice 32 traks.
reaper and traktion waveform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5is7XBdvgbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MTUpji8Uw
on above skip intro ads.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/17/20 03:30 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I never knew that was there! I just looked and on this i3 with 16gb of RAM it said 137.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting Muso. Never knew that this function was available in RB.

Ran mine at 44.1K and the app reported 332 tracks with the MOTU ASIO driver for the average of 3 runs. Switch over to the Steinberg driver (v2.04 that came with the Yammy Montage) and got 322 on the average of 3 runs.

I am running a MOTU 828MK3 interface but not sure if the difference in ASIO drivers is significant or not. Does that mean that the MOTU driver is more efficient?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Please open up realband and action>> test audio performance.
tell me how many traks that beast will do reported by rb will you ?? i bet its huge.

...using Focusrite 18i20 ASIO drivers...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (20.16 KB, 81 downloads)
My Tracks

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are a lot of corporate places selling off machines of this type. A lot of times they want to move off the Microsoft platform and go to something much more professional like UNIX. If it is mission critical it is probably not running on Windows.

That's odd. I've worked for several large financial companies in St. Louis and they tend to be mixed. I've never seen more than 50% Linux machines in server environments around here.

Extremely jealous, much better price and rackmount. There you go. EDIT: Just noticed no CPUs/Memory. Those CPUs will cost you.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those CPUs will cost you.

Back 20 years ago the law firm I was at for a few years ran rack mounted servers that had dual core Zenon CPUs. They bought like 25 of those servers at one time and the team doing the installs opened a few to look at them assuming that if 3 or 4 were okay, they would all be okay. Well, maybe not. On one of them the heat sink came loose during shipping, but the server room was so loud we didn't hear it banging around in the case. We powered them up one at a time, and that one was like 23rd in line, so we powered those last few up almost at the same time and walked out to let them run for an hour. In about 6 minutes we heard an alarm and went in to find that one server freaking out from heat. I sweat you could have cooked on that CPU. And THEN we had to hear about it from the bosses about why we didn't inspect EVERY one before powering them up. (And they were right, We were just being lazy.) Fortunately they had thermal protection so the thing shut down when it got to the same temperature as the SUN and the CPU didn't burn up, but wow, that was a lesson. Those Zenon's at the time were so expensive they required a mortgage and they would have been perfectly right to make us pay for the replacement. Remember, we couldn't prove the heat sink came off in shipping because we didn't inspect anything. (Though of course would could have lied... but that's not me. And the largest law firm in Ohio doesn't lie.)

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice story Eddie. I did replace the Xeon CPUs on that last Dell I had the T5400. The price wasn't too bad on them since it was an older machine, processors. I did see lots of notes on being very careful on getting the processor properly seated before fastening it all down. Luckily, I had no issues and those processors ran well right up to selling the machine.

If I want more cores and processor speed for my machine, nearly $32,000 for the pair..... Not gonna happen. LOL

Untitled.jpg (37.47 KB, 75 downloads)
Expensive??

Steve

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
MountainSide

wow, thats a really really good report. that many traks.
impressive.
as i didnt program rb or the interfaces i really dont know the driver impact. but your test certainly implies there IS driver impact.

sslecta.
thanks for that. those intel processor prices are crazy.
we need more processor manufacturers. more competition.
i refuse to pay more than 1k for a computer.
also i refuse to use usb protection dongles.

but i pay for everything.

my i5/ssd reports 191 traks. steinberg drivers.

----------------------------
basically i use the rb test to give me a basic idea when testing out refurbs and new machines at the pc store.
i take along the ultrapak drive with me and do a test in rb.
i dont think its a perfect test. but usefull.

perhaps you good folks could vote +1 on my post in the realband wishlist forum where i argue for a expansion of the basic rb audio performance test app. (please give it a read.)

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619721#Post619721

the reason being ive see on various recording forums people
running into problems with useing a computer that just wont meet their REAL needs. the idea is a small test app.
ideas like an early warning system and sandboxing are also mentioned.

best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/17/20 06:14 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for that. those intel processor prices are crazy. we need more processor manufacturers. more competition. i refuse to pay more than 1k for a computer. also i refuse to use usb protection dongles.

I agree on the processors. You just need to wait until they become the right age and the prices drop down quickly. It will be a while in my example above. As far as dongles, no biggie here. Luckily, all my software uses the same iLOK one and there's no issues. Pro Tools, Melodyne, etc. I just plug it in when I fire up the tools.

basically i use the rb test to give me a basic idea when testing out refurbs and new machines at the pc store.

Good idea, another tool you could add to that drive is LatencyMon. It's been referred by Matt and others here in the forums for a few years. It's only a 2 Mb .EXE file.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The only thing about running tests like these is that they are kind of moot. If your system is not performing, do you have to know how much your system is not performing to know you need a new computer or just THAT you need a new computer?

I mean, do you need to know how much you weigh to know you gained weight when suddenly your everyday jeans don't fit?

This comes from a guy who has not work his everyday jeans in a really long time, and never skimped on a computer purchase. Overbuild, overbuy. Don't buy the car with the V6 to pull your motorhome because you think it might be enough car only to find out somewhere 157 miles from nowhere that it isn't. And then pay for a transmission or engine rebuild that cists more than what you would have paid for the V8 to start with. When I built that Pro Tools computer I went right to an i7 (which at that time was the highest "i") and 64 MB of RAM. If I never need that horsepower, great. I want it if I have it. What's 3 or 4 more monthly payments to do it right the first time?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I went right to an i7 (which at that time was the highest "i") and 64 MB of RAM.

You got a nice processor but skimped on the RAM? Running for cover....

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There are a lot of corporate places selling off machines of this type. A lot of times they want to move off the Microsoft platform and go to something much more professional like UNIX. If it is mission critical it is probably not running on Windows.

That's odd. I've worked for several large financial companies in St. Louis and they tend to be mixed. I've never seen more than 50% Linux machines in server environments around here.

Extremely jealous, much better price and rackmount. There you go. EDIT: Just noticed no CPUs/Memory. Those CPUs will cost you.

Yes the processors are pretty pricey.

What I meant about the servers was there seem to be more used windows servers for sale. Sometimes a company will try to run something on windows and find that OS is not robust enough and go to UNIX or Linux. I guess all that depends on how big the company is and if they run their own network.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes a company will try to run something on windows and find that OS is not robust enough and go to UNIX or Linux.

Billy, got it, thanks. I believe the Dell Engineering laptop I have is from one of those big batches of company-returned equipment that they offered cheap as a refurb.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes Steve, all kinds of crazy things happen in large companies. Many companies have subcontracted out there IT needs.

IBM came into a large bank and ripped out all the ethernet cable and installed Token Ring when they got the management contract. When the bank got fed up with IBM another company ripped out all the Token Ring and reinstalled ethernet. All the IBM servers and workstations were replaced with Dell. All IBM routers and switches were replaced with Cisco.

This sort of thing happens a lot and all that used equipment gets sold off to people who refurbish it and re sale it.

The idea of getting a $10,000 dollar machine for $3500 is a logical risk.

I got to seriously thinking about buying that sort of refurb. I then decided to go back to the original idea and just build a new machine.

The savings for using a AMD Ryzen does not mean anything to me. They may be better processors but I have never had anything but problems with them. There is certainly nothing wrong with intel.

I have made up my mind to use a i9 intel so the only real question is which motherboard and is the case I had in mind big enough to hold the radiator I want to use.

The other stuff is straightforward...Samsung SSD's DDR4 Cooler Master power supply. Some decision about the best video card for my needs.

Building computers is not rocket science. And anyway, the first thing I always do when I get a name brand computer is format the drive and get rid of all the bloatware.

As to the issue with the current computer, who knows, It is running without issue now, and has for the most part given me no trouble for over 10 years.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/17/20 09:48 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,778
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189