Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
For the piddling sum of only $299 a month and if you live in certain areas of Georgia and Tennessee, you can get a 10,000 MBPS internet connection...lol

For that kind of speed I would do that in a heartbeat.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Then you would have to answer your phone before it rings Eddie...lol

But then I thought I set the world on fire when I could send and receive Morse Code at five words a minute.

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/19/20 09:57 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Not to mention fire safety.

The only thing that stays on here is the fridge.

Your fridge is actually more of a fire hazard. Your fridge has a compressor that kicks in to keep the temp constant. That compressor has moving parts in it. Just for sake of supposin', let's say that compressor has a bearing in it that seizes and the motor keeps trying to turn it. The causes friction. Friction causes heat. Heat causes fire.

Inside a computer there are thermal shutdown protection mechanisms that will shut the computer off if it exceeds a specific threshold. I have had computers running 24/7 since the middle 80s. If I haven't had a fire yet I won't likely have one now. Not caused that THAT anyway.

Maybe from my fridge....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There have not been any real fire hazards at my house after Richard Pryor stopped coming around...lol

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Not to mention fire safety.

The only thing that stays on here is the fridge.

Your fridge is actually more of a fire hazard. Your fridge has a compressor that kicks in to keep the temp constant. That compressor has moving parts in it. Just for sake of supposin', let's say that compressor has a bearing in it that seizes and the motor keeps trying to turn it. The causes friction. Friction causes heat. Heat causes fire.

Inside a computer there are thermal shutdown protection mechanisms that will shut the computer off if it exceeds a specific threshold. I have had computers running 24/7 since the middle 80s. If I haven't had a fire yet I won't likely have one now. Not caused that THAT anyway.

Maybe from my fridge....

I know the fridge is a fire hazard, but for obvious reasons I can't turn it off, else I would do it.

I have had experience of a fire in an electric shower, while a member of my family was using it, so you might understand where I am coming from.

But six computers on all night, plus all the attached devices and maybe tv's on standby probably eat up 5-10 dollars a month in electricity I would guess, but then its you who is paying the bill, not me.

Still think its a fire hazard, but as you say, you feel safe so I guess that is ok for you.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Once again... I <sigh>

MY network cable does not alter the speed of my internet connection from the outside of my house to a far end pinging server. It would alter the speed in which my data is transmitted from my Linksys router to my client computers. WHAT gets displayed is not at the mercy of HOW it is displayed.

My in house wired speed is 1gb.

My in house wireless speed is 866.7.

Note that neither of those has anything to do with my internet connection speed.

There is a difference between what goes from end to end and what you see in house. What you see in house is from your router to your clients. What a speed test calculates is your terminus to their terminus. So your (insert ISP name here) hardware to the speed test point. And please do NOT call that box a "cable modem". By definition, a modem converts analog signal to digital. Cable and fiber is digital from end to end. There is no MOdulate/DEModulate process involved.

This is all early level MCSE testing stuff. Like test 2 if not 1. (It has been many years since I took them. 22-23 years maybe.) Your WAN speed has zero to do with your LAN speed. Your inhouse cabling is LAN, not WAN. Your ISP does not provide your LAN speed.

I can't STAND all the advertising and the false claims. "We're fastest!" "Our call clarity is better." Really? So if I am too far from a tower on ATT and the call has echo on it you are telling me that at the same distance from a Verizon tower the call would NOT have that echo on it? This is ALL math and physics. Branding changes nothing.

I remember when I accepted an interview with then Time Warner. I took it mainly to get a free lunch out of them. (Hey. I was unemployed! He DID look at me funny when I ordered a steak!) I asked him to sell me their products as if I was a new customer. "Phil" went on and on about how they were faster than ANY other internet provider in the known universe. As I finished dessert (strawberry shortcake), I said "Can I ask YOU some questions now, Phil?" He said "Sure." "Can you explain to me how if Bob to my left has Time Warner and is provisioned for 12mbps and Joe to my right is also provisioned for 12mbps but with another ISP that Bob's connection is going to be any faster than Joe's?"

He immediately went all deer in the headlights and tried to doubletalk his way around it.

I gave him a "Talk to the hand" gesture and said "Just stop. I don't know how close you read my resume but you are flat out lying to me and asking me to do the same. 12 meg is 12 meg no matter who it comes from. Your claims about faster wireless are also not true. Your in house wireless is subject to things like distance from the router and density of the walls. YOU don't make Linksys routers. YOU have nothing to do with wireless speed inside a house on a home network. And to be honest, I only took this interview to work you for a steak lunch. I am WAY too good for you, Phil. Take it easy." I absolutely HATE how internet providers put out misinformation to a public that will believe anything. They have confused the public to a level where the average guy doesn't understand that wifi is NOT data. Wifi is a wireless connection that connects to a wired connection. What you get on your cell phone away from your home network is data, not wifi. But the public is generally uneducated about this stuff and will believe whatever hype/crap TV ads feed them.

Now that I have the reborn TWC as my provider, I am sure that every monitor in the building has my phone number on it with a note that says "If this guy calls, DON"T answer. He is a PITA!" On the extremely rare occasion that I need to call an ISP I don't need some minimum wage phone answering clerk telling me they are going to schedule a tech visit. I know how to use Sam Spade network diagnostic software better than they do. If I have speed issues I can find the IP of the router where the problem is. And it ISN'T at my house.

Now if AT&T comes through with fiber in my area, I will be their first customer. All they have on my street is 1.5 mbps DSL and it will be a cold day at the Equator before I ever have copper phone wire carrying my internet. I must be 15000 feet from the CO if that's all they can offer me.

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/19/20 10:42 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
All they have on my street is 1.5 mbps DSL and it will be a cold day at the Equator before I ever have copper phone wire carrying my internet. I must be 15000 feet from the CO if that's all they can offer me.

I think that's why phone companies are putting these boxes in neighborhoods now so that you don't have to be in range of that old timey downtown phone company. As far as how they route cabling/wires to these boxes, I do not know.

See: Remote Concentrator

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I had hopes that I would never see the acronym DSLAM again! For 3 years I worked for maybe THE worst DSL provider in the history of DSL. Granted it was a big company but every day the first thing we were told to do was review the outages so when people called from those areas we knew why they were down. The lists got as long as 10 and 12 pages! The company's business growth model was to buy failing small phone companies and grow the customer base that way. However, they also never put money into upgrading any of the infrastructure, so the reasons they sucked as the old company, the reason they were failing, came right along with the acquisition. And so many customers assumed that being passed along to a new parent company equated to the service getting better. I'll take "Wrong assumptions for 600 Alex." Landline phones should really just go away. They serve no purpose at all.

Part of it was that the customers they were picking up were from these rural areas that weren't even on maps yet! The box where the wire went into the house (called the NID) would fail a lot because of brutal rain and wind.

We had an area outside of Houston and when the hurricane (Ike?) blew through in 2010-ish I got a all from a woman screaming about her internet being down. It went liek this.

Me: Okay. First of all, please calm down and bring your voice down about 30 decibels. Yelling isn't going to get things fixed any faster. Now, you are calling on your cell phone, right?

Her: Yes.

Me: And why is that?

Her: Because the house phone is dead.

Me: Okay. Now knowing that your DSL internet comes in on the same wires as your phone, how can you expect that your phone could be dead but your internet would be working?

Her: Oh. When when do you think it will be fixed?

Me: Well, is there a lot of traffic on the streets right now?

Her: No. The roads are impassible.

Me: Do you know if FEMA is in the area?

Her: Yes. They are staging on the edges of town.

Me: Okay. When FEMA allows our trucks to go in, our people can start replacing all the wiring that was torn down by the rain and 100 mph winds. Until then, there is really nothing we can do since the trucks can't get into the town.

Her: Oh. Well, when you explain it like that....

Me: Ma'am, I am thinking you should be grateful that you are alive and that the cell phone towers made it through the winds or you wouldn't even have call phone service. Maybe you want to call any family that lives elsewhere and tell them you are okay while you have battery power. I can't imagine you have electricity and I'd even guess that your car is under water and won't start so you can't use the car to charge the phone. I am glad to know you are okay and rest assured we want you back up and running as much as you do so we don't have to get a phone call like this from every subscriber in the city.

Her: I can imagine you may get a lot of these.

Me: Yeah, well, it comes with the territory. In a little while there will be an automated message that will reply to all calls from your area. Please stay safe and we'll get this fixed as soon as we can.

WHY do people think that JUST that one aspect of technology is so bulletproof that when everything else is down the internet should work?

3 days later the winds from that hurricane made it to Ohio. We had gusts in the 80s, and we NEVER have that here. The wind blew over a tree, which fell into a power transformer, which set the tree on fire, the flames from which burned every wire it touched. And my luck? That building where it happened was the Time-Warner switch that fed my area. I was down 3 days. And just an aside, for those who complain about TWC now Spectrum... I have had them for 15 years, and counting those 3 days I don't think I have had 10 days total where I was down completely.

There was also a day when any browsing going west would drop my connection and I had to power cycle their box, but I was able to trace it to a hub in Chicago with some diag tools, and I called them, got some guy in Toronto named Patrick, told him the IP of the router that was down, and when he couldn't ping it they sent some routing changes to the hop before it to take it out of the loop while they replaced it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So, this is what I get from AT&T for $25 a month. AT&T offers fiber in this area for $25 a month with a one year contract and $10 a month equipment fee but ... they bypassed my street. frown

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (85.88 KB, 62 downloads)
AT&T Speed Test Results

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Our Internet cable was installed about 30 years ago. It is a buried wire so upgrading it is not easy. You guys with fast times are very lucky. Here is what I get.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
speed test .jpg (63.77 KB, 56 downloads)
Last edited by MarioD; 11/19/20 02:50 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Funny story, Eddie.

Jim, that's dreadful. The federal minimum standard for broadband is a meager 25 Mbps download, 3 upload. You are far below that.

Mario, unfortunately your ISP can claim you are adequately served (ridiculous, but true). However, I have to say, your Ping speed is either wrong or tremendously fast. Anything below 20 ms is considered really fast.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt, what is on the horizon for better internet access in rural and underserved areas and who will pay for it?

I read 40% of school kids are getting school over the internet. I don't have much of a feel for the current number of people working from home. The number must be pretty high.

Kids will most likely all go back to brick and mortar schools at some point. Cost to home school and babysitting is very high. They will still need access to the internet.

A certain percentage of people working from home will never go back to an office after Covid-19 even if the pandemic is well controlled by vaccine. The recent vaccine news is pretty positive which gives some hope for the future. No matter what happens, we are a long away from controlling the pandemic.

Money is not necessarily the controlling issue for access to internet to at least middle class neighborhoods. It took five years after the subdivision I live in was built before I had access to cable internet and seven years before AT&T fiber. This is a middle class neighborhood in a major city.

I also own a house in a high end neighborhood with no cable or fiber. That property could be considered semi rural I guess. I have internet there but it is Satellite Internet plus the cell phone connection, both of which are pretty unreliable.

This is what the satellite people say "HughesNet Gen5 is fast with 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps Upload speeds, and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast. It’s also available in Alaska and Puerto Rico." I guess it is better than nothing...

If we are going to send kids to school over the internet we need to provide that connection no matter what the cost or who has to pay for it. It is my belief that education will be the greatest factor to continued prosperity in the United States.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Mario, unfortunately your ISP can claim you are adequately served (ridiculous, but true). However, I have to say, your Ping speed is either wrong or tremendously fast. Anything below 20 ms is considered really fast.

Yes, it looks as though Ping was pinging localhost, not the remote address.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I would agree that a Ping < 1ms is not really an accurate representation. Ping is not really a good measure of service. Ping has a number of dependencies including the number of steps to the pinged device. How links handle ping. The packet size of the ping. For example pinging from a Cisco Router can deliver a different result than ping from a PC which can be different than pinging from a Unix based system. Why, I here you ask, each has different packet size.

The best way to measure performance is by performing a package download from a known server on a known path. I see a number of people here use OOKLA this is most likely a pretty fair measurement but it is probably best to ensure it is measuring via the correct server (usually this is ok but not always).

That was my experience and teachings but I am getting old and have been retired for over 7 years.

Incidentally: using Ookla to one server I get a ping of 12ms download 53Mbs Up 18Mbs (not bad for a 50Mbs link). Go to another server a ping of 13ms and speeds between 51 - 52Mbs Down but Up however is 8.8Mbs. These figures pretty much explain what I’m getting at.

My two bobs worth

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 11/19/20 08:31 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
20 mps down / 2 up. No hopes for more. Welcome to rural America.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How times have changed though, at least no one or not many have dialup now.

I remember getting my first computer in 2000 and logging into AOL remember them? You found their cd software everywhere.

An exciting time it was too, hearing the hum of the modem as it dialled in, and the aol desktop software appearing on screen, wasn't that bad either.

At least it was all for a fixed monthly fee, previous to that you had to pay the ISP a monthly fee over here, and in addition to that you had to pay the telephone company for time spent online.

Used to love a little bit of software called Bit Magic that delivered cartoon type material every day.

Last edited by musiclover; 11/20/20 03:23 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
We came a very very very long way in a very very very short time...

Not to say that performance couldn't be improved, but generally it is lightning fast now compared to just a few short years ago.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I pay $68.50 a month for 120mbps down and 12mbps up. Of course I would like better, but by comparison, I am fortunate. The tradeoff is a small house (1100 sq ft) on a small lot (60x135) and neighbors 8 feet to either side of me.....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
What is on the horizon for better internet access in rural and underserved areas and who will pay for it?

Google Fiber?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Fiber, yes. Fiber is needed to connect 5G towers, too.

Starlink et. al. for rural satellite reception. Trials in the northwest up to 170 Mbps download. -1 for astronomers, with 30,000 low orbit highly reflective satellites whizzing around.

Paying for it? First, establish the need. I think we are there. Second, get politicians onboard. Many are. Third, get them to do something. We are not there yet. Public/private collaboration might help.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200