Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
New BIAB user, first post, please have mercy if my questions are laughable.

After entering a few songs from the Real Book to practice with I began to wonder about key changes. Does BIAB AI recognize these changes on its own and act accordingly or must I alert the program to them? And is this possible?

If so please let me know. You don't have to define the procedure if its doable. Just let me know that it is and I'll figure it out.

Thanks!!!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can (and should) set the initial key signature on the main chord sheet, and yes, using F5, you can change it at any measure.

I’m not entirely sure how the program’s AI uses this but I do know it makes a major difference in notation. When you enter notation, the key signature determines the enharmonic spelling of a note (for example, is it G# or Ab). Some folks never change the key signature from the default key of C and the program plays a song with any chords. Whether or not it plays it ‘better’ using the right key signature, I really don’t know. I just write it correctly anyway.

Does that help?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome also.

Yes, good advice above.

Select the bar that you wish to change the key signature, press function key <F5> and you are presented with a list of options that you can adjust from that point forward for the song.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2020-11-22_23-07-30.jpg (48.38 KB, 132 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks guys for the welcome and the advice. That F5 key tip is appreciated. I always make sure I set the proper initial key for the chord sheet.

The thing I'm getting at is that though jazz lead sheets give you the key that the song starts in, they don't show the key changes that often occur within the tune.

With analysis of the chords a musician can figure out where these key changes happen and use the F5 function to insert the changes. It's a chore but it can be done.

What I'm really asking is whether BIAB is doing this chore on its own when you press Generate.

Sorry if the question makes no sense smile

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think it will make any diff at all in the way it will sound or play. But that is just my experience with it.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is getting more interesting.

First, it is normal that a jazz song does not use frequent key changes. It’s expected that there may be frequent modulations. The bridge key may change but not elsewhere.

Increasingly, I see more complicated compositions just written in C concert, with no attempt to reduce the accidentals by key signatures.

As my earlier reply indicated, I don’t know if it makes a difference for you to enter frequent key signatures in BIAB. The program does use AI but it’s proprietary how it works. We are pretty sure it has a ‘look ahead’ capability to see the possible key change just from the chord progression.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Scott1578, Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box or BiaB for short.

BiaB relies on the selected style for much of the arrangement feel of a song similar in manner to the way a musician will feel his or her way through a song the first time they are playing an unfamiliar song. Additionally BiaB uses artificial intelligence and a look ahead feature to better interpret the chord sheet. Last there has been some observational feedback from users that midi data in the Melody and/or Soloist tracks is read by the program and used to influence how the BiaB program interprets a chord chart.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks for that Matt. I think there is some general confusion amongst musicians about what constitutes a true key change. Some think any modulation can be considered a change of key. But I think after reading your comment this isn't necessarily so. Ha ha, you've got me scouring the internet for knowledge on the subject. To date I can't find a dispute to your argument.

Also thanks for the reassurance that BIAB AI looks ahead and I don't have to worry if it will get things mostly right. It's a load off my mind to know that I can just enter my lead sheets and go with it.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks MusicStudent, I think you're right.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. You pretty much echoed Matt's response to my questions. And I take that from yours's and Matt's considerable number of "tweets" that you both understand the program very well. So I trust in what you say. It puts me at ease.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott1578
Thanks for that Matt. I think there is some general confusion amongst musicians about what constitutes a true key change. Some think any modulation can be considered a change of key. But I think after reading your comment this isn't necessarily so. Ha ha, you've got me scouring the internet for knowledge on the subject. To date I can't find a dispute to your argument.

Also thanks for the reassurance that BIAB AI looks ahead and I don't have to worry if it will get things mostly right. It's a load off my mind to know that I can just enter my lead sheets and go with it.
Don't give up so easily. I may not be correct about it making no difference in BIAB whether you set many key changes or not. This really merits further testing.

As for those who would consider any modulation a change of key, I do understand. I think this stems from the way jazz theory is taught now, with an emphasis on scales and modes. "In my day" - the early 1960s - we learned it more organically.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Well if you've been playing since the 60's and you think BIAB is doing a decent job at interpreting the changes, that's good enough for me smile By the way I love the jazz that came out of the 60's and I agree it sounds very organic.

As for needed further testing you may be right, but it's not gonna be done by me. I don't want to work. I just want to to bang on the drum all day laugh

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Enjoy! I know I do. Every song I’ve written in the last 28 years has been composed using BIAB.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks buddy. That testament is good enough for me! BIAB all the way.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I look forward to hearing what you come up with. As Peter Gannon (PG in PG Music) says, have fun.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
grin!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195