Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#626291 - 11/29/20 03:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT.
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

WISH #1. PG PLEASE CHANGE THE CHORUS CONCEPT (for biab 22.).
when i took music theory ages ago, a chorus was defined way differently than how biab thinks of a chorus in its biab world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

i dont know who thought up the odd biab chorus concept and the original rationale,at pg, but it is "odd" per music theory.

in the world of biab chorus it might include "anything" from a C.d,C.d repeated to a bunch of bars that might include intros/verses/choruses/leads/outtros etc etc.

this feature has been in biab for ages. and i feel is due for a major overhaul /modernisation of biab.
it must also be odd for a music teacher useing biab as a teaching tool, only to explain that in the world of biab, the word chorus can have various different connotations.
please rethink for 2022.

for example i think of chorus as "we will rock you " repeated or "hallelujah" repeated. or "i love you" repeated. or a refrain .
this topic has frustrated and bugged me for ages in useing biab.

best.
muso.

Edited by justanoldmuso (11/29/20 03:09 PM)

#626293 - 11/29/20 03:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

In today's world verse, chorus, etc, are more common then BiaB's chorus nomenclature. But back in the day a chorus was one complete pass through a song. It was quite common to play the melody in choruses one and three and jam during the second chorus.

But I agree a intro, verse, chorus, etc, would be more in line with today's world.

+1.

{edit} typos

Edited by MarioD (11/29/20 07:40 PM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#626320 - 11/29/20 05:03 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

+1

Why do I want more mixer tracks that support more RT's / RD's?
Mainly for this reason! Since there are no specific parts for intros, outros, bridges, breaks / fills etc...

If more mixer tracks are present that support RT/RDs you can use these to bring parts of completely different styles or elements to build these "missing" parts of song structure.

Unfortunately new "Utility" tracks will not do that.

Given there is already a huge accumulated library of RT/RD's, I think only additional mixer tracks that support chord/bar changes will give a choice of variation and familiar workflow to build stronger and more creative song structure.

#626326 - 11/29/20 05:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

+1

This ancient standard is annoying to those of us who understand why it is like that. It must be very frustrating to new users and potential new users to discover this fossil feature! laugh

#626357 - 11/29/20 06:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

BIAB was originally developed to play jazz fakebook tunes. In jazz, a chorus was once through the song. Still is.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam sub & monitors

#626414 - 11/29/20 10:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Maybe those with older hardware need the old way ?

I have been through all this wishing for too many years,...
Until I found Reaper and scripting, no waiting 10 years, no constant nagging, no yearly xmas time disappointment.
If you need something just script it or ask someone and they will.

We might now be able to get the Plugin to generate your frozen saved SGU
instantly without any wav files in the SavedTracks folder.
Having a lot more tracks in the Plugin than Biab, all will be able to generate and play instantly without rendering wav's.
Could you use this ???? or would you still need something in Biab ????
Tittle Generator ?? Conductor ?? Jukebox ??

That's how I see it.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

#626427 - 11/30/20 12:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I played most styles including Jazz for many years, and including working in Cabaret and Big Bands. We always referred to the parts of a song being Verse and Chorus, (sometimes Refrain as well).

It was only when I came to BiaB that I found that here, a Chorus meant Verse and Chorus. I had never used that terminology before. Maybe it's a regional thing. Just sayin'
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#626480 - 11/30/20 05:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: VideoTrack]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

humbly thanks for the +1's support.
much appreciated.
i will be posting a wish every other day or so.
things that have bugged me for ages. and impact my creativity.
and i can only hope other users will agree and offer support.

the sad part is biab/rb could dominate the music software niche if certain things occurred. and moved into the future.

re chorus biab concept.
i had never encountered this till i came to biab.
and ive hung out in the past with way more able musos than i am. really serious pro musicians.
that knew every darn chord structure and inside chord and extension , and flatted this and sharpened that. lol.
these people technically blew me away. learnt a lot from them.
however we all thought a chorus meant the same thing.
so maybe it IS a regional thing.

once again, i really appreciate the support.

best.
iamasillyoldmuso.

#626500 - 11/30/20 06:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I do support having the choice. In my work I arrange for many non-jazz musicians and I have to use their terms. It would be great to have verse, chorus, bridge etc. as an option of how you lay out and label a song.

+1
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam sub & monitors

#633726 - 01/01/21 01:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
I, too, like the verse, chorus, bridge/refrain idea. Those ascriptions, I would think, are the most commonly used terminology in the contemporary environment.

+1

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#637098 - 01/18/21 04:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: Al-David]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

more chorus "quirks" that bug me in bb.
(feel free to tell me if i'm missing something. i'm prepared to look stoopid lol.)
1. lets say i have a song with 2 choruses, and in chorus 2 at bar 11 i want a different chord than chorus 1 bar 11, any new chord entry i make in chorus 2 bar 11 ALSO is reflected in chorus 1 bar 11. WHICH I DONT WANT. i only want the chord change in chorus 2 bar 11. NOT IN CHORUS 1 bar 11.
(yes i realise i can do the "unfold trick" to make changes. sigh. and YES ive been futzing around with F5 to no avail.)
2. what is the point of haveing a max 40 choruses in bb ?
if unfolding it would be huge. would it not ?
its enough just dealing with a few choruses, let alone 40 !
can someone please enlighten me via a song case study where i might use 40 choruses, particularly given point 1.
whereby a bar chord change in one chorus impacts others ?
OR am i missing something ?.
3. when i'm in various choruses, as well as knowing the current bar no being played in that chorus,(per currently.) it might be nice to know how many bars have elapsed total since beginning of song bar 1 chorus 1.
for example lets say i'm in chorus 10 bar 11, i have to figure out manually total bars since bar 1 chorus 1.
see what i mean ?

best
maybe i'm stoopid muso.
(but i have a worthless advanced degree lol.)

Edited by justanoldmuso (01/18/21 04:40 PM)

#637111 - 01/18/21 05:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
For # 2 part of the answer is so students can learn a part or become more proficient.

The first chorus generally is set at a slow tempo and the tempo increments higher by a small amount each chorus. This allows the student to concentrate on the mechanics in the beginning and build muscle memory with each pass.

Another example is to set each chorus at a different tempo or key signature so the student does not lock into one "favorite" tempo or key signature.

For # 3 there is a bar graph across the top of the chord sheet that indicates relative position within the song with a line to indicate each bar, a color for each part marker and a walking black color to indicate bar position within the song.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#637182 - 01/19/21 05:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: Jim Fogle]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

jim.
re #3.
with 40 choruses that position bar at the top gets mighty
crowded lol.
its ok for clicking on i guess for rough positioning.
thats all i use it for. but pretty hit or miss in a complex
song.
re #2.
ok good point eg music teachers might use it.

#647144 - 03/17/21 03:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

> yes i realise i can do the "unfold trick" to make changes. sigh. and YES ive been futzing around with F5 to no avail.)

If your entire form doesn’t repeat, just set the chorus to one, and you then have a linear form, and are not affected by the (jazz) term “chorus” at all. It isn’t just a “trick” to unfold the song, it turns the song into a linear song, which addresses many of the issues you’re talking about.

And how do you get into the position of needing to unfold a song anyway? If you don’t like the idea of a song form repeating, and instead want a custom form, why wouldn’t you set the # of choruses to one to begin with? If you always set your songs to one chorus, how would the term “chorus” ever come into play?

#647176 - 03/17/21 07:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Lloyd S Offline
Veteran

I use Peter's reasoning.

I always set my song to one big "chorus".
I always have the "Bar Lyrics" layer turned on, which I use (if I don't need lyrics) to make note
of "Verse" ("a" substyle - blue) and "Chorus" ("b" substyle - green).
If I need additional substyles, say for "Intro", "Bridge", "Instrumental", "Extro" etc.,
it's now a simple matter of just right clicking an existing bar number,
hit the "Define substyle" selection, and you can make any required additional substyles.

If I need to create a piece for printout, I save my BIAB file with a suffix to the name
and do any mods to make it look right on that file.

In short, I just ignore the whole "chorus" concept.
YMMV
LLOYD S

#647356 - 03/18/21 07:19 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: Lloyd S]
Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Dave Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I haven't used the multi chorus facility for years. My songs start as a single chorus and are built, usually, with copy from bar to bar. Adjust melody, and chords as needed, and add lyrics. I then use 'repeats/endings' to print the song. The chorus option was just too limiting.

#647357 - 03/18/21 07:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

> The chorus option was just too limiting.

Yes, the multiple chorus setting it is really intended for people practicing a song, or playing a song where the entire form repeats (mostly jazz or blues songs), but not pop/country. So as you say, just have the choruses set to 1 and lay the song out linearly, and use the repeats and endings features to print a typical leadsheet with 1st/2nd endings etc.

#648220 - 03/23/21 09:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: duselton
I am new to BIAB. I am used to thinking in terms of Intros, Verses, Choruses, Bridges and Outros. How come this only seems to want to support intro, outro and chorus? No versus, no bridges, I must be missing something.

#648245 - 03/24/21 05:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: Pipeline]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Here is what I am now doing with song form markers: It is important that your songs are unfolded. I assign song form makers a little differently than ABC etc. I use the following letters:
I=into
V=verse
C=chorus
B=bridge
P=prechorus
E=ending

This way I can think in terms of verse, chorus, etc. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#649913 - 04/03/21 07:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: WISH#1 FOR 2022. CHANGE THE BIAB CHORUS CONCEPT. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Europe
Dzjang Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Europe
+1

@Mario

Isn’t there this conductor possibility, which lets you change the order of up to 6 different song parts, using markers?

It can be triggered by midi, changed up and down, you can skip parts, repeat the verse as many times you want. Too lazy to look it up, though, :))

Maybe it could be an idea to update the conductor, cause the original question of Justanoldmuso makes sense. I feel I can already do most of what he asks for, but updating the flow is a great idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Windows (on sale until May 31st - learn more here)!

We've also updated the Song Titles database, resolved user-reported issues for various drum features, and more.

Learn more & download the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 833 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили 80 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 стиля RealTracks, новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), записи профессионального живого исполнения (Artist Performances), поставляемые в качестве бонуса отдельные инструменты RealDrums (RealDrums "Singles"), транскрипции стилей RealDrums, набор мультистилей MultiStyles PAK 1, набор экстра-стилей Xtra Styles PAK 10 и др.!

новых | Пакеты

Just Released - Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

We've added 200 exciting new RealStyles with the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - 50 each for Jazz 11, Country 11, Rock & Pop 11, and Half & Double Time 1!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

XTRA STYLES PAKS ARE ON SALE UNTIL MAY 31st! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until May 31st, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Get To Know the Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings

Want to customize your Band-in-a-Box® song? Head into the Song Settings window to adjust settings for endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, chord embellishments, and more!

To access Song Settings in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows, use Ctrl+N or choose the Edit | Song Form | Settings (for This Song) option.

Looking to mix up the styles playing for each chorus? You can do that!

Want Pedal Bass in your middle chorus? You can do that too!

Hoping to fade the ending to your song? Also an option from within this window!

There are additional Ending options, RealTracks options (including half-time/double-time, 'bluesy' solos, Natural Arrangements, etc.), and more!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Documentation Today!

Download the latest Update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows to access the updated PDF manual and updated help file.

We've also addressed user reported concerns regarding Plugins Options, Drum Kit window MIDI events, the 2 bar lead-in for exported MIDI files, read-only Audio tracks, and more!

The latest update is available for FREE to all Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows users.

Learn more and download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Estamos ocupados e adicionamos 80 novos recursos e uma coleção incrível de novos conteúdos, incluindo 202 RealTracks, novos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudos Instrumentais, Performances de Artistas, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", transcrições de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 e mais!

Novas Funções | Pacotes

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Spanish for Windows is Here!

En PG Music tenemos el placer de anunciar la disponibilidad de Band-in-a-Box 2021 en Español. Despues de arduo trabajo hemos agregado, entre otras cosas, 80 funciones nuevas y una gran colección de nuevas incorporaciones y contenido que incluyen 202 RealTracks, nuevos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudios Instrumentales, Interpretaciones de Artistas, RealDrums 'Single' adicionales, transcripciones de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 ¡y mucho mas!

Nuevas características | Todos los Paquetes

Forum Stats
34373 Members
67 Forums
69408 Topics
596826 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
gdb999, MiaMartin, StarbucksStew, Amanda - PG Music, Trev77

34373 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 206