Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
WISH #1. PG PLEASE CHANGE THE CHORUS CONCEPT (for biab 22.).
when i took music theory ages ago, a chorus was defined way differently than how biab thinks of a chorus in its biab world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

i dont know who thought up the odd biab chorus concept and the original rationale,at pg, but it is "odd" per music theory.

in the world of biab chorus it might include "anything" from a C.d,C.d repeated to a bunch of bars that might include intros/verses/choruses/leads/outtros etc etc.

this feature has been in biab for ages. and i feel is due for a major overhaul /modernisation of biab.
it must also be odd for a music teacher useing biab as a teaching tool, only to explain that in the world of biab, the word chorus can have various different connotations.
please rethink for 2022.

for example i think of chorus as "we will rock you " repeated or "hallelujah" repeated. or "i love you" repeated. or a refrain .
this topic has frustrated and bugged me for ages in useing biab.

best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/29/20 01:09 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
In today's world verse, chorus, etc, are more common then BiaB's chorus nomenclature. But back in the day a chorus was one complete pass through a song. It was quite common to play the melody in choruses one and three and jam during the second chorus.

But I agree a intro, verse, chorus, etc, would be more in line with today's world.

+1.

{edit} typos

Last edited by MarioD; 11/29/20 05:40 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1

Why do I want more mixer tracks that support more RT's / RD's?
Mainly for this reason! Since there are no specific parts for intros, outros, bridges, breaks / fills etc...

If more mixer tracks are present that support RT/RDs you can use these to bring parts of completely different styles or elements to build these "missing" parts of song structure.

Unfortunately new "Utility" tracks will not do that.

Given there is already a huge accumulated library of RT/RD's, I think only additional mixer tracks that support chord/bar changes will give a choice of variation and familiar workflow to build stronger and more creative song structure.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
+1

This ancient standard is annoying to those of us who understand why it is like that. It must be very frustrating to new users and potential new users to discover this fossil feature! laugh

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB was originally developed to play jazz fakebook tunes. In jazz, a chorus was once through the song. Still is.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Maybe those with older hardware need the old way ?

I have been through all this wishing for too many years,...
Until I found Reaper and scripting, no waiting 10 years, no constant nagging, no yearly xmas time disappointment.
If you need something just script it or ask someone and they will.

We might now be able to get the Plugin to generate your frozen saved SGU
instantly without any wav files in the SavedTracks folder.
Having a lot more tracks in the Plugin than Biab, all will be able to generate and play instantly without rendering wav's.
Could you use this ???? or would you still need something in Biab ????
Tittle Generator ?? Conductor ?? Jukebox ??

That's how I see it.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Song-Parts.png (54.31 KB, 225 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I played most styles including Jazz for many years, and including working in Cabaret and Big Bands. We always referred to the parts of a song being Verse and Chorus, (sometimes Refrain as well).

It was only when I came to BiaB that I found that here, a Chorus meant Verse and Chorus. I had never used that terminology before. Maybe it's a regional thing. Just sayin'

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
humbly thanks for the +1's support.
much appreciated.
i will be posting a wish every other day or so.
things that have bugged me for ages. and impact my creativity.
and i can only hope other users will agree and offer support.

the sad part is biab/rb could dominate the music software niche if certain things occurred. and moved into the future.

re chorus biab concept.
i had never encountered this till i came to biab.
and ive hung out in the past with way more able musos than i am. really serious pro musicians.
that knew every darn chord structure and inside chord and extension , and flatted this and sharpened that. lol.
these people technically blew me away. learnt a lot from them.
however we all thought a chorus meant the same thing.
so maybe it IS a regional thing.

once again, i really appreciate the support.

best.
iamasillyoldmuso.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I do support having the choice. In my work I arrange for many non-jazz musicians and I have to use their terms. It would be great to have verse, chorus, bridge etc. as an option of how you lay out and label a song.

+1

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I, too, like the verse, chorus, bridge/refrain idea. Those ascriptions, I would think, are the most commonly used terminology in the contemporary environment.

+1

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
more chorus "quirks" that bug me in bb.
(feel free to tell me if i'm missing something. i'm prepared to look stoopid lol.)
1. lets say i have a song with 2 choruses, and in chorus 2 at bar 11 i want a different chord than chorus 1 bar 11, any new chord entry i make in chorus 2 bar 11 ALSO is reflected in chorus 1 bar 11. WHICH I DONT WANT. i only want the chord change in chorus 2 bar 11. NOT IN CHORUS 1 bar 11.
(yes i realise i can do the "unfold trick" to make changes. sigh. and YES ive been futzing around with F5 to no avail.)
2. what is the point of haveing a max 40 choruses in bb ?
if unfolding it would be huge. would it not ?
its enough just dealing with a few choruses, let alone 40 !
can someone please enlighten me via a song case study where i might use 40 choruses, particularly given point 1.
whereby a bar chord change in one chorus impacts others ?
OR am i missing something ?.
3. when i'm in various choruses, as well as knowing the current bar no being played in that chorus,(per currently.) it might be nice to know how many bars have elapsed total since beginning of song bar 1 chorus 1.
for example lets say i'm in chorus 10 bar 11, i have to figure out manually total bars since bar 1 chorus 1.
see what i mean ?

best
maybe i'm stoopid muso.
(but i have a worthless advanced degree lol.)

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/18/21 02:40 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
For # 2 part of the answer is so students can learn a part or become more proficient.

The first chorus generally is set at a slow tempo and the tempo increments higher by a small amount each chorus. This allows the student to concentrate on the mechanics in the beginning and build muscle memory with each pass.

Another example is to set each chorus at a different tempo or key signature so the student does not lock into one "favorite" tempo or key signature.

For # 3 there is a bar graph across the top of the chord sheet that indicates relative position within the song with a line to indicate each bar, a color for each part marker and a walking black color to indicate bar position within the song.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
jim.
re #3.
with 40 choruses that position bar at the top gets mighty
crowded lol.
its ok for clicking on i guess for rough positioning.
thats all i use it for. but pretty hit or miss in a complex
song.
re #2.
ok good point eg music teachers might use it.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> yes i realise i can do the "unfold trick" to make changes. sigh. and YES ive been futzing around with F5 to no avail.)

If your entire form doesn’t repeat, just set the chorus to one, and you then have a linear form, and are not affected by the (jazz) term “chorus” at all. It isn’t just a “trick” to unfold the song, it turns the song into a linear song, which addresses many of the issues you’re talking about.

And how do you get into the position of needing to unfold a song anyway? If you don’t like the idea of a song form repeating, and instead want a custom form, why wouldn’t you set the # of choruses to one to begin with? If you always set your songs to one chorus, how would the term “chorus” ever come into play?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I use Peter's reasoning.

I always set my song to one big "chorus".
I always have the "Bar Lyrics" layer turned on, which I use (if I don't need lyrics) to make note
of "Verse" ("a" substyle - blue) and "Chorus" ("b" substyle - green).
If I need additional substyles, say for "Intro", "Bridge", "Instrumental", "Extro" etc.,
it's now a simple matter of just right clicking an existing bar number,
hit the "Define substyle" selection, and you can make any required additional substyles.

If I need to create a piece for printout, I save my BIAB file with a suffix to the name
and do any mods to make it look right on that file.

In short, I just ignore the whole "chorus" concept.
YMMV
LLOYD S

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I haven't used the multi chorus facility for years. My songs start as a single chorus and are built, usually, with copy from bar to bar. Adjust melody, and chords as needed, and add lyrics. I then use 'repeats/endings' to print the song. The chorus option was just too limiting.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> The chorus option was just too limiting.

Yes, the multiple chorus setting it is really intended for people practicing a song, or playing a song where the entire form repeats (mostly jazz or blues songs), but not pop/country. So as you say, just have the choruses set to 1 and lay the song out linearly, and use the repeats and endings features to print a typical leadsheet with 1st/2nd endings etc.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: duselton
I am new to BIAB. I am used to thinking in terms of Intros, Verses, Choruses, Bridges and Outros. How come this only seems to want to support intro, outro and chorus? No versus, no bridges, I must be missing something.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Here is what I am now doing with song form markers: It is important that your songs are unfolded. I assign song form makers a little differently than ABC etc. I use the following letters:
I=into
V=verse
C=chorus
B=bridge
P=prechorus
E=ending

This way I can think in terms of verse, chorus, etc. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
+1

@Mario

Isn’t there this conductor possibility, which lets you change the order of up to 6 different song parts, using markers?

It can be triggered by midi, changed up and down, you can skip parts, repeat the verse as many times you want. Too lazy to look it up, though, :))

Maybe it could be an idea to update the conductor, cause the original question of Justanoldmuso makes sense. I feel I can already do most of what he asks for, but updating the flow is a great idea.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195