Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
For the past 6 - 7 years I’ve done all my work on a now 7 years on Windows laptop Asus K55. It’s done quite well with its limitations. I have around $500 US budget and I’m looking for a Windows desktop. Don’t really need a monitor, mouse, keyboard so I don’t want to pay extra for them in a package deal but if a good desktop deal includes them that would be okay.
Main purpose: BIAB, Reaper, recording, mixing, multi tracking, midi tracks, audio tracks, multiple VST and VSTi running at the same time, rendering, etc,... probably should have plenty of USB ports.
Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Are you looking for sources or specs?

For sources, Staples and Best Buy sell just the CPU box and often have good deals. I like being able to view the back of what I will be buying (although this does not apply to me; I have built all my own computers since 1983).

For specs, this is the rank of importance for what you want to get, and where you should budget your money, ranked STEEPLY from most to least important: CPU, disk (must have an SSD), RAM (8 GB or more), laser mouse, Graphics. I'm assuming you will use Windows 10; Home version is sufficient unless you have an extensive home network.

If you ask a more specific question, I and others can give better answers. Cheers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
tobias.
REFURBISHED ALL THE WAY.
if you dont believe me. ask on the reaper forum.
(i'm a reaper/biab user.)
i was on the reaper forum other day and noticed yet another user extolling virtues of refurbs.
he said will last another 20 years. its so powerfull.
just start a thread on the reaper forum "what do you think of refurbs ?"
ive seen perfectly good i5 refurbs go as low as 200 buks.
xeon beasts for 700 buks with ssd's.
eg
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-z440-workstation-xeon-e5-1620v3-3-5ghz-4-cores-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-quadro-k2200-4gb-win10-pro-refurbished/14348023
just needs a second ssd.
three CAVEATS.
1. try and test with realband in store. if they let you.
my store will. in rb action. >> test audio performance.
i get with i5/ssd 191 traks reported in rb.
my system cost couple of hundred buks.
2. get a warranty for a year.
3. make sure you can return pc if probs. eg your audio interface dont like it.

if you anticipate heavy cpu use libraries and slews of plug ins.
get the most powerfull processor you can afford.
i7 or xeon.

best.
muso.
ps search pg forums for more of my comments on refurbs.
eg in the mac threads.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/28/20 07:27 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Okay, to be more specific; What do I need? It will be a DAW machine. I don’t know much about specs. That’s why I’m asking. I can use my current mouse and keyboard and monitor and have spares of those. I have an Audio/ Midi interface. I’ve done around 80 with BIAB and around 30 of those have gone into Reaper for adding audio tracks, editing, mixing, etc. I’ve been recording on and off for 35 years or so. Started way back on 2 track Reel to Reel, then many 4 track cassettes, then big console to ADAT, then to DAW some 18 years ago.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with the refurbished option. I have purchased a number of them for others from TigerDirect with no problems. Out of around ten purchases only one was DOA and TigerDirect immediately replaced it. All have warranties and you get a more bang for your buck withe refurbished computers.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The most important spec by far for BIAB will be the CPU. justanoldmuso mentioned an Intel i7 CPU, and I agree.

For Reaper or another DAW, the speed and size of the storage drives becomes very important. I recommend an SSD for Windows, and I use a second SSD for certain programs including BIAB, audio editing, DAW and video editing. Then I have a very large fast Western Digital Caviar conventional drive for storage, plugin libraries, etc.

Your comment about recording for 35 years made me realize I've been recording for 55 years.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The most important spec by far for BIAB will be the CPU. justanoldmuso mentioned an Intel i7 CPU, and I agree.

For Reaper or another DAW, the speed and size of the storage drives becomes very important. I recommend an SSD for Windows, and I use a second SSD for certain programs including BIAB, audio editing, DAW and video editing. Then I have a very large fast Western Digital Caviar conventional drive for storage, plugin libraries, etc.

Your comment about recording for 35 years made me realize I've been recording for 55 years.

Jeezzs Matt, and I thought I was getting old!! You still got a Intel 4004?...lol

Happy Holidays Matt

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, after some research I think I'll be looking for;
SSD Solid State Drive 500 or bigger.
Intel Core i7
16 gb or more memory
Might go refurbished.
Anything else important?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
With a budget of $500
Refurbished Dell
i7 Intel processor
8 gigs of at least DDR3 ram
250 gig SSD with a SATA 500 gig drive (best case would be a new Samsung 1 TB SSD and whatever the computer came with)
some sort of interface to plug a guitar or mic into.

I looked on Amazon...

From Amazon for $429. This looks likes a pretty solid machine. Needs a bigger drive. Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM) on sale, black Monday $99.

Dell Optiplex Gaming PC 3020 SFF Computer - Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz, NVIDIA GT 1030 2GB, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HDMI, DVI, VGA, DVD-ROM Drive, Keyboard, Mouse, WiFi, Windows 10 Professional(Renewed)

This will run most anything and there are ways to deal with the limited amount of ram.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those look like just about what i use, that is four years old. It will be fine.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Changing out the RAM for 16 gigs of DDR3 ram would be about $50

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I mostly agree with what others have mentioned. In the case of using BIAB, best bet is to prioritize the CPU, followed by SSD. In the case of using any other program you have, RAM first. I've personally got 48gb of ram for my music machine - the more the better.

As others have mentioned, refurbs are a good bet. I've got an 11-year-old computer that runs BIAB perfectly. Certainly a newer computer could do better, but because I was able to maximize my RAM and install an SSD, it's MUCH faster than even many brand new computers.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I mostly agree with what others have mentioned. In the case of using BIAB, best bet is to prioritize the CPU, followed by SSD. In the case of using any other program you have, RAM first. I've personally got 48gb of ram for my music machine - the more the better.

As others have mentioned, refurbs are a good bet. I've got an 11-year-old computer that runs BIAB perfectly. Certainly a newer computer could do better, but because I was able to maximize my RAM and install an SSD, it's MUCH faster than even many brand new computers.

Ditto ... I run 32gb and that allows me to keep BiaB open (and other apps) while running multiple instances of effects on Logic tracks. And a long mastering chain.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The issue with all of this is the cost. 32 gigs of RAM is generally more useful than 16 gigs. Not all RAM is created equal...better RAM more money. Faster processors, more money. In terms of BIAB and DAWs in general only a certain amount of RAM/Processor speed is useful. Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz, and 32 gigs of fast DDR4 and pro SSD is what I have in my current machine. You can still buy that same i7 new today. I can have more stuff open than I can deal with.

The OP mentioned a budget of $500.00. There is an obvious limit to what can be had for that amount of money.

In considering what to use in a new machine I want to build I am finding going to a Intel Core i9-9900k 8 cores with clocking up to 5.o GHz does not result in better performance in my DAW than an i7-9700k 8 core 4.7Ghz. It would only result in better performance in video and gaming. I don't play games at all and I am not doing a lot of video stuff so it is a bit hard to justify the additional cost.

A pretty good refurbished machine can be had for five or six hundred dollars. That machine will run BIAB and any DAW without issue. It will not let you have your DAW, fifty vst's 100 tracks deep, BIAB all open at the same time. It may be possible to get 100 tracks deep with that limited of a machine if you know how to manage resources.

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/01/20 05:16 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
In considering what to use in a new machine I want to build I am finding going to a Intel Core i9-9900k 8 cores with clocking up to 5.o GHz does not result in better performance in my DAW than an i7-9700k 8 core 4.7Ghz.

Why the performance to the eye is not any better, the processor is not working as hard to accomplish the same task. Why buy lesser and overclock when you have the resources to buy mo' bettah?

My 4 cylinder turbo Jeep Renegade can keep up with the Corvette next to me as we both go 90, but that Corvette's engine isn't working nearly as hard to do it. And if you can afford the Corvette, you can also probably afford the speeding tickets and higher insurance costs....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
I'm running a Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz (had it for a lot of years) and 16 gigs of ram. I've never had any problems running BIAB. I can't remember it ever crashing.

Where I do have problems once in a while is in Cakewalk by Bandlab. Reaper is a lot more stable but even that has crashed, but rarely.

I've just recently started using just vsts - SampleTank 4, Addictive Drums 2 - and blame that for the odd glitch. I'm using these vsts because I can't figure out how to get my Ketron SD 2 working. What's supposed to be a simple hookup has given me many frustrating hours. mad

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
In considering what to use in a new machine I want to build I am finding going to a Intel Core i9-9900k 8 cores with clocking up to 5.o GHz does not result in better performance in my DAW than an i7-9700k 8 core 4.7Ghz.

Why the performance to the eye is not any better, the processor is not working as hard to accomplish the same task. Why buy lesser and overclock when you have the resources to buy mo' bettah?

My 4 cylinder turbo Jeep Renegade can keep up with the Corvette next to me as we both go 90, but that Corvette's engine isn't working nearly as hard to do it. And if you can afford the Corvette, you can also probably afford the speeding tickets and higher insurance costs....

There is actually a lot to be said for your comments. You are definitely on track Eddie. I have rarely if ever been unhappy with buying "better" stuff" no matter if it was computers or cars.

I have a new Honda that gets about forty miles to the gallon and a 2008 Nissan Titan with 160,000 miles on it that gets 12 MPG. If I go to the store tomorrow I will drive the truck. Why, because I like the truck...go figure.

I think you have helped me make a decision I have been vasalating on for a while now. So thanks.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I have a new Honda that gets about forty miles to the gallon and a 2008 Nissan Titan with 160,000 miles on it that gets 12 MPG. If I go to the store tomorrow I will drive the truck. Why, because I like the truck...go figure.

Plus.... trucks are cooler! My best male friend just bought a Chevy Avalanche 4WD with the Z71 package. He bought it from his brother in law's boss, who is a finnicky guy about car care and that trucks has been treated better than a lot of children for its whole life. Oil changes done 500 miles EARLY. 6 month inspections. Bedliner, tonneau cover, front grille and headlight protective bumper, chrome running boards. Absolutely beautiful. He stopped by with it Sunday and it is so quiet I didn't even hear him pull in. But he left as I was taking the dog for a walk and when he stuck his foot into it, it ROARED. He needs a truck to pull a rather large boat. (We get to fish again this year!!)

Same logic. Instead of buying minimum, he spent a few thousand more and overbought. I believe in overbuying. That flied directly into the face of my cheap Slovenian heritage, but there's a time to save and a time to spend.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Well, if it makes you feel any better I just ordered a i9-9900...lol
Also a Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11AC Wi-Fi plus other stuff I probably don't really need. It's called transcendental consumption, and while it does exist in other cultures it is a basic American idea...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You will be happy in a year when lesser components become obsolete and yours don't!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195