Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There may be some serious downsides to the internet but in general for most of us the internet is a fantastic device to experience a vast amount of exposure to a world of music.

I can go to youtube and listen to just about anything that has ever been recorded. That is pretty amazing!

For some unknown reason I did some research into the history of Doo [*****]. Think Little Anthony and the Imperials, Tears On My Pillow. If you are under fifty it is entirely possible you have never listen to that song.

Pretty deep university level explanations of music theory are available and are generally accurate and free.

Obviously, this post is a function of an internet forum which a bunch of us really like. Sometimes we act like children and get angry with one other, which is pretty normal I guess. We should all try to be kinder to each other.

The issues that we have all had to deal with in 2020 would have been more difficult to to get through without the internet.

I am glad to be here and thanks for putting up with me!!

Cheers,

Billy

EDIT: I had to laugh an the software not letting me write Doowop....lol Doo-[*****] (also spelled doowop and doo [*****]) is a genre of rhythm and blues music....lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/01/20 01:40 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm 100% Italian-American and Doo-W0P doesn't bother me.

In the very late 1970s I was in the house band at a big hotel show-bar on Miami Beach.

On the weekend "past their prime" but still big stars came in and did two sets, we played before between and after. The Shirelles, The Blue Notes, many others and Little Anthony.

Little Anthony was a great singer, a great showman, had a small but well rehearsed touring band, and he was a heck of a nice guy.

Just wanted to share that.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm 50% Italian American and Doo-W o p doesn't bother me either. It is the name of a music genre and not a slander against Italians. However I don't know if people in Italy take the term offensively.

Last edited by MarioD; 12/02/20 04:13 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Didn't that word originate from immigrants coming over without documentation? Meaning With Out Papers?

I remember an Italian guy I knew when I was young being called the name that sounds like "day go" and we thought it was a bad thing. We found out later in life that it literally just means "James". A slang pronunciation of "Diego".

Welcome to the wonderful world of political correctness. Which appears to apply to everything but that angry, sexist, racist rap music that use the dreaded "N work" in every line.

But let ME say it even once....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I understood why the software flagged the word. I also understand that the algorithm used to flag words is not designed well enough to distinguish when something is in another context.

A certain subset of people have become so sensitive to language that they are actually incorrectly interpreting the meaning in context for words. They sometimes become so involved in looking for words to construe as denigrating that they take on the stereotypical image's of the "homeowners association police". These people wrongly assume that we all react the same way to the words in question. This is simply not true as you can tell from the comments of Mario and Notes who are both intelligent enough to understand that the word that was flagged were not used to denigrate Italians.

The end results of all this is that it's become a real distraction and cause unnecessary polarization and anger and separation between people. We would all probably be better off if we "lighten up" a bit.

I think it is fabulous that Notes Norton was able to meet and experience live, people like Little Anthony. As wonderful as the internet is, it simply can not produce the same experience as having been there.

I have lived during a time that I got to see in person many iconic musical acts. Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, just to name a few.

The internet does provide a way to remind me what it was like. Cool stuff!

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Didn't that word originate from immigrants coming over without documentation? Meaning With Out Papers?

That old saw has been in circulation for years but if you spend just a minute thinking about it, then everyone who arrived without papers or without a passport would be a have that term hung on them, not just the Italians. And an additional minute or two of thought should convince you that the majority of Italians would have arrived with proper papers, so why call all of them that?

The actual source of the term is from the Sicilian word guappo which meant a stud or a dandy but eventually came to mean a swaggering thug on this side of the pond.

Welcome to the wonderful world of political correctness. Which appears to apply to everything but that angry, sexist, racist rap music that use the dreaded "N work" in every line.

But let ME say it even once....

Well, I know that like myself you are of Slovenian extraction (my mother was an Ulle). I grew up listening to my family and the folks around the SNPJ lodge refer to each other as Hunkies and Bohunks but let someone outside of the Slovenian community call them that and that person better have good dental insurance. Don't act like its any different.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I was a kid, some of the others called Italian-American kids w0p or 'day-go' and it never bothered me. I took it as a badge of honor, as I was proud of my Italian heritage.

BTW, my last name of Norton was an effort to sound "American" when an uncle ran for Mayor in a town where anyone with a vowel at the end of their name couldn't even be elected to dog-catcher.

It seems to me in this day and age of people eager to take offense at a term, turning it around and being proud of that name defuses any stressful feelings. It's all about choice in your own mind.

On the other hand, if you know someone is sensitive to a term, be kind and just don't use it.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Well, I know that like myself you are of Slovenian extraction (my mother was an Ulle). I grew up listening to my family and the folks around the SNPJ lodge refer to each other as Hunkies and Bohunks but let someone outside of the Slovenian community call them that and that person better have good dental insurance. Don't act like its any different.

My youth was in a neighborhood comprised of every kind of Slavic ethnicity, so we heard them all. Slovenians, Croats, Serbs, Czechs, Hungarians, Romanians, Polacks, Austrians... that whole area was represented. And the term others called all of those ethnicities was "DPs", for "displaced persons". One of my old Italian pals had a father named Tony, and he told us, with his perfect Bob Newhart deadpan face, that Italians were all named Tony because when they were herded onto ships to come over they had a piece of tape stuck on their shirt that said ToNY, meaning "To New York". And we bought that! I mean we were little kids. In our hood all the Italians that had "2 part" names, like LoPresti, LaRocco, DiBello, DiLisi, DeGeronimo.... we just called them all "Deuce" because they had 2 names. I later learned that Slovenians were called "Grinders" and there was much folklore about that, ranging from the love of polka music, which led to accordion players being called organ grinders, to the prevalence of Slovenian immigrants taking jobs in machine shops that did a lot of industrial milling and such, which was called grinding. The Wiki version is that grinder is a derivative of a German word "Krainer", meaning someone from the German area of Krain, near the Hungarian border.

Most of my education about ethnicity came when I joined the Army and met people from all over the country. On those late nights late in the month when nobody had money we would buy cheap beer and sit around the barracks drinking and talking about such things. I remember Mike Gilhooley, who we all though was Irish, telling us that his family roots were in England. And a guy named Wright, with flaming orange hair, was a Native American. He used to laugh saying "Apparently mama got around." Those conversations were really interesting. Etymology of any kind is fascinating stuff. Words, people, sports, music....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith, did you not tell me once that you are from PA originally? SNPJ is HUGE up around the Great Lakes. We got that SNPJ newspaper at our house every month, and a quick search shows it is still being published. Man, THAT is a flashback right there!

My ancestry is from Ljubljana. My sibling and I were not permitted to speak Slovenian, or attempt to. We were told that we were born in Ohio and we were AMERICANS, and Americans spoke English, not Slovenian. My parents spoke fluent Slovenian and every time they did we knew it was about us. LOL! Cut my drinking teeth on Rolling Rock, and my music life started with polka and waltz because that's what little Slovenian boys did, play the accordion. That only lasted until the Beatles came around, but it was a good foundation to learn about rhythm and harmony. My first teacher was an old school German man who was strict in his musical discipline, and later in life I was grateful for everything I hated him for then!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Keith, did you not tell me once that you are from PA originally? SNPJ is HUGE up around the Great Lakes.
Yes, before I went off to college, I lived in the Johnstown area of PA which is a big time Slovenian stronghold, especially the East Conemaugh section. I'm still a member of SNPJ and got my 50 year membership pin in the mail on my 68th birthday. There is absolutely no SNPJ presence in the South but I've maintained my membership because my Grandmother took out a life insurance policy with them for me when I was a kid and she would roll over in her grave if I let it lapse.

My ancestry is from Ljubljana.
Small world. That is where my Great Grandfather, Joseph Ulle lived before he moved to Pennsylvania. I only learned a few words of Slovenian from my Grandparents because they were reluctant to teach me and my great grand parents could only swear in English.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
On the other hand, if you know someone is sensitive to a term, be kind and just don't use it.

That right there is the answer. Just be kind to everyone.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Everyone would benefit from "Just be kind to everyone"

In terms of language that means I should try not to use words that would offend anyone. It also means that others should assume I don't know everything and kindly inform me when I inadvertently use some offencive word.

Kindness works best when it is a two way street. There needs to be some ballance.

I don't have the experience of having grandparents or great grandparents or even great great grandparents who were born in some other country. I have been told that family before that came from Scotland. It certainly never occurred to me to identify as Scottish American.

I speak several languages and have lived in a couple of other countries. This has probably caused me to be less nationalistic. I have driven my car around in Rome enough that I know the city better than Miami. I love that country and the people there. I would be very happy to be Italian. The same goes for France and driving in Paris.

I live in Miami now so I speak the language of the people here, Spanish. I have even developed a Cuban accent...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have always taken offense to people born in the USA putting their ancestral ethnicity in front of American. If your people from 250 years ago came from, let's just use Italy, you are not an Italian American. You are an American Italian. Born in America makes you American. If that person goes into the military it's to defend America, not Italy.

But also know that I think "proud" is a stupid word. When people say "I'm proud of my Mexican roots." I ask "Why?" You are proud to come from one of the dirtiest, nastiest places on the planet that is so corrupt and disgusting that Mexicans are willing to risk death and imprisonment to escape from there at any cost? What is there to be proud of? And what does proud even mean?

When I was young, I was a really good baseball player. Colleges were recruiting me (until they saw my grades) so pro teams came to visit me. The whole time my father wanted to be overly involved because he was "proud" of his little boy. And one day in front of a recruiter it came to a head when I told him "Why don't you leave the room? This doesn't involve you. What is it the YOU are proud of? Because I worked so hard to get to this place? This is my life and my decision. Take your proud talk somewhere else." He didn't run all those miles. He didn't lift those weights. He didn't take all that extra batting practice. I worked one summer on a garbage truck for $2.20 an hour because that was 5 hours every day lifting full trash cans and dumping them onto the truck. My chest and shoulders were never stronger. I did all of that. "Proud" is just a stupid concept. In any context. Be happy for someone else's success. And yes, you could say "proud" is exactly that, but it goes deeper. So to be "proud" of heritage.... Are Germans proud of a heritage that includes Adolph Hitler? If you are American, be American. Just American. I am interested in my heritage, but proud? Why? What did Yugoslavia do that evokes any sense of pride? Send us a really bad car in the early 80s? I want to go see the country, yes. It's a beautiful place. Ljubljana Castle in particular. But proud to be descended from Slovenian grandparents, 3 of whom I didn't know? Why?

Wow was THAT a tangent!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am not an Italian American. I also am not an American Italian. I am an American, period!

My ancestry includes Italian, my father's side, and German, Irish, Scottish, English,and native American from my mother's side. Thus I am a typical American.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I find all the labels of ethnicity don't really convey much information . A lady I know on the next block is from Italy. We talk to each other, sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish, sometimes in French, sometimes in Italian to the extent we both know those four languages.

She is more or less only identifiable as Italian because she was born there, a few typical Italian cultural characteristics and I guess because she can speak the Italian language.

She lives in an American house, drives a Japanese car, buys food at the same store I do and is married to a cuban man. Ninety nine percent of her life has nothing to do with Italy.

We both enjoy speaking to each other about things we remember from past experiences in Italy. It is pleasant to reminisce. This type of conversation only represents a small fraction of our communications with each other. The other things we talk about are in the here and now having nothing to do with where she is from.

If you are happy to be from a certain place, then fantastic. If you are identifying as a certain ethnicity to exclude others that has a very negative effect on the community you live in.

My USA passport says I was born in the USA so I assume that means I am American no matter if I like that or not. My French passport also says I was born in the USA, so I can't claim to be French...lol I can say when I live in France people who know me well consider me to be more French than American, mainly because I speak the most widely excepted dialect of French I think. I am no different when I am there than the Italian lady is here. When I am there Ninety nine percent of what I do relates to France and not the USA. So why would I try to identify as an American first?

The truth is we are all just people, hugely more alike than different.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We weren't taught the Italian language. My parents used it as a 'secret code' so they could talk without us knowing what they were saying.

They told us we were "American" and have no need for the language of the old country.

That's a shame because as an adult I struggle with Spanish. I can get by with 'baby talk' Spanish, and translator on my phone.

Eddie, I respectfully disagree with your concept of Mexico. There are indeed dirty, impoverished sections and cities, but we have a few of those ourselves. IMO the border towns are not the best Mexico has to offer.

I spent some time in Merida, Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Mexico City, and Cozumel. I found these cities to be as clean as ours, the people friendly and civilized, the food good, and they were as safe or safer than any US city of comparable size.

My grandparents came to the USA for a better life, so I can't fault others for doing the same. I think if we put the penalty on businesses that hire illegals, instead of the illegals themselves, the problem would be solved. If you hire an illegal you get a warning. Second time you lose your business license.

If the low wage jobs weren't here, they wouldn't come. The poor and destitute will come to where there is an opportunity, and brave dangers to do so.

I worked on cruise ships for 3 years, with people from over 30 countries in the crew. Many of them are making money and sending it home to feed a family in a place where there is less opportunity.

They slept 4 to a tiny cabin, shared bathroom down the hall, worked long hours, sent all their money home, and kept their dignity. That is quite a sacrifice to feed their families.

We are lucky to be born in the USA, others are lucky to be born in other countries with opportunities, and some are not.

IMO we have to quit thinking about anyone who isn't like us as 'the others'. I've been to over 40 countries on every continent but Antarctica and I find that at least 90% of the people just want to raise a family and make the world a little better for their children than it was for them.

After all, we Europeans in the Americas are 'the others' to the people who were here before us.

I also find the music from all these different countries and the immigrants that came here have shaped our American music in the most delightful way. I hear elements of many other countries integrated into rock, pop and our jazz music.

When asked what my heritage is, I call myself an Italian-American because I have no better way to describe it succinctly. But I consider myself American because I was born here. I've been to Italy, loved it, met my cousins, loved them, but I'm glad I was born here.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The idea that people are Japanese-American, Italian-American or German-American instead of just American is what led to American citizens of Japanese heritage being removed from their homes, losing their livelihood and being forced to live in interment camps during World War II.

Just another shameful piece of America's past. The USA has a lot of good in it and a lot to be proud of but the way we sometimes treat our own citizens does not always accurately reflect our core beliefs. Inclusive in principal versus inclusive in practice turns out to be much more difficult than it should be.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Like almost every country, we have our good and bad points. In spite of the things we have gotten wrong, I still feel lucky to have been born here.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Like almost every country, we have our good and bad points. In spite of the things we have gotten wrong, I still feel lucky to have been born here.

Amen brother, Amen.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Having access to the United States by whatever means is a real advantage, if you were born here or got here by some other means. There are some things that are just less difficult to do here. I find this one of the top two or three countries in the world to easily make money.

What I find less appealing about the United States is the attitude of "living to work" instead of "working to live".

I like working here best but I like living in Europe best. Playing live music in Europe is much more fun than here in the smaller venues. Playing in huge venues to me is more or less the same everywhere.

There are other great places in the world. Melbourne Australia comes to mind. Melbourne always ranks in the top ten best places to live in the world.

Every country has its own set of issues. No place is perfect. The United States has plenty of opportunity for a very wide variety of people.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/09/20 11:51 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,621
Posts735,184
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185