Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#332695 01/22/16 09:12 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No, not me, I'm not old enough (or rich enough). It's a piece of equipment that has served me faithfully for over 40 years.

Back in 1975, I was young, and had little money. I'd moved out of home and badly needed something to play music on. I scrimped & saved and finally got enough money together to buy myself a "sound system." I opted for a Sanyo system, that included an AM/FM radio (FM virtually unheard of in those days,) a turntable, and two (count 'em) TWO speakers. And a microphone input AND headphone jack. It was a piece of furniture- imitation wood grain and imitation brushed stainless steel. (these days it would be called a gramophone.) The following year I saved up & bought the tape (cassette) deck that was part of the "system."

Over the next years I used it at every opportunity, playing vinyls, cassettes, recording, and listening to the radio.

Over the years, the tape deck died, as did the turntable, and I replaced the speakers with better ones. But the tuner still worked fine.

Years later when I got back into music and got into Band In A Box, I used the tape deck input as an amplifier. When I finally bought a "real amp" I only used the Sanyo to listen to the radio, or to listen to TV (a stone age "theatre system.")

However, today I decided to put it out to pasture. I had a spare sound system that I installed into my music room, hooked it up to the TV, and can now listen to the radio without any static or hum.

But I couldn't bring myself to toss it into the rubbish (just yet?) I put it into my rack where it can sit & enjoy its retirement.
Sentimental... yes
Hoarder yes.
But every time I look at it I can remember the many hours that it has served me so well.

Enjoy your retirement, Mr Sanyo.

Has anyone else got any old equipment that they use regularly? (pre 1970 Fenders or Gibson's don't count grin)

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith, I haven't got anything to put to pasture, but I sure can understand your feelings. That little system cost you a lot of hard earned savings, you loved it - and still do, and it gave you pride that you worked hard to purchase it and own it.

Sadly, we live in a 'chuck-it-out' world now. Too expensive to repair of maintain anything, and there's a better design right on the shelf.

Eventually, you might need the space. In the meantime, it's absolutely fine to leave it in the rack and when you look at it, reflect on all those great years of enjoyment it gave you. One day, but doesn't have to be today.

The other interesting thing is that if you can keep it long enough, one day it will be a collectors item.

I've got a few 1930's fully restored valve mantle radios and a fully restored valve radiogram (pre-war). All are in perfect working order. I don't ever use them, but I love what they do, and how their inventors shaped the technology we enjoy today. They were "inventing the future".

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I have two in storage that still play that I don't discard because they play 8 track cassettes too. There's two boxes of 8 track cassettes to explore one day.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
No, not me, I'm not old enough (or rich enough). It's a piece of equipment that has served me faithfully for over 40 years.

Back in 1975, I was young, and had little money. I'd moved out of home and badly needed something to play music on. I scrimped & saved and finally got enough money together to buy myself a "sound system." I opted for a Sanyo system, that included an AM/FM radio (FM virtually unheard of in those days,) a turntable, and two (count 'em) TWO speakers. And a microphone input AND headphone jack. It was a piece of furniture- imitation wood grain and imitation brushed stainless steel. (these days it would be called a gramophone.) The following year I saved up & bought the tape (cassette) deck that was part of the "system."

Over the next years I used it at every opportunity, playing vinyls, cassettes, recording, and listening to the radio.

Over the years, the tape deck died, as did the turntable, and I replaced the speakers with better ones. But the tuner still worked fine.

Years later when I got back into music and got into Band In A Box, I used the tape deck input as an amplifier. When I finally bought a "real amp" I only used the Sanyo to listen to the radio, or to listen to TV (a stone age "theatre system.")

However, today I decided to put it out to pasture. I had a spare sound system that I installed into my music room, hooked it up to the TV, and can now listen to the radio without any static or hum.

But I couldn't bring myself to toss it into the rubbish (just yet?) I put it into my rack where it can sit & enjoy its retirement.
Sentimental... yes
Hoarder yes.
But every time I look at it I can remember the many hours that it has served me so well.

Enjoy your retirement, Mr Sanyo.

Has anyone else got any old equipment that they use regularly? (pre 1970 Fenders or Gibson's don't count grin)

That Sanyo gear from the 70's was excellent, as were their speakers. If it were me, I'd look for a pair of matching Sanyo speakers and a used good condition turntable. They can be had cheap at garage (boot) sales, and your vinyl will never sound better. I have tons of 70's gear, and it still sounds fantastic.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Know what you mean about that older equipment. Had a tape deck, tuner, equalizer, turntable all with wooden sides...actual real wood! Used to rub 'em down with teak oil every week! Nothing like electronics encased in wood. Those were the days.

As you can see from my sig below, I've still got a Yammie DX7II. Have to admit, I lust after the Motifs and that new Montage that was just announced, but in my heart just can't see myself ever giving up the DX...kinda display it like a badge of honor...I was there back then...but...we're just both antiques now.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I actively use a much greater percentage of my older equipment than my recent equipment.

The older stuff, like my stereo system that hasn't changed since I set it up in 1976 in the dining room, sounds and works perfectly. A lot of stuff I bought for computer production of music is now in the storage room for lack of drivers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If I have it and it still works, I still use it.

I have the tuner I bought back in 1970. And the speakers on it I bought from a buddy in the Marine corps when he was headed home and didn't have the room in his car for them. They are working out in the shed.

FM virtually unheard of in 75? Where were you living?

At that time, FM was in it's heady days of "album cut" rock stations here in the USA. I can remember finding WMMR FM in Philly on my transistor radio as a pre teen guitar player somewhere around the late 60's and realizing that they were playing the album long version of the songs as well as album cuts not heard in the top 40. I was hooked.

I kinda wish I still had many of the old amps I went through.... some were turds, but some are classics. Even the turds were cool in some way or another.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #333253 01/25/16 08:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Australia I assume.

Back before that a buddy bought a "quadraphonic" system. We all thought we were going to have to buy 4 speakers instead of two.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Kenwood tuner I bought in 1974 is still fantastic. I chose it for extreme selectivity specs. I live two hours north of New York City (got no snow!) and, with an FM antenna and booster on the roof, could pull listenable FM from Boston and Philadelphia on that Kenwood.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
DrDan #333856 01/28/16 04:45 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Australia I assume.

Yeah, from what I recall we got FM radio commercially from the early 1980s. Keep in mind that we didn't get colour television until 1973.

And prior to getting cars in 1969 we used to ride kangaroos to work..... grin

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith,

This is not a slam against "The Outback" but Tommy Emanuel said in an interview that he had to be prepared for either AC or DC mains when he was gigging in Oz. Is that still the case over there?

Worse, the outlets were seldom marked resulting in his "letting the smoke out" of several amplifier.

Don

Don Gaynor #333876 01/28/16 07:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Don,
No, I've never heard that. Of course they use generators for some open air gigs, but to the best of my knowledge they would be AC.
Having said that, with the amount of time that Tommy has spent on the road over the last 50 odd years (he started on the road at age 6)he played at some pretty remote places in the outback.

We're really quite civilised now. wink

Cheers,
Keith
Don Gaynor #333877 01/28/16 08:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Keith,

This is not a slam against "The Outback" but Tommy Emanuel said in an interview that he had to be prepared for either AC or DC mains when he was gigging in Oz. Is that still the case over there?

Worse, the outlets were seldom marked resulting in his "letting the smoke out" of several amplifier.

Don

Don, it ain't as bad as people might lead you to believe.

There sure isn't any DC Mains and never has been. That was an Edison thing - Tommy's pulling your leg.
(Well, I confess that there was some DC distribution way back when for a few building with elevators that had DC motors, but that was a special dedicated supply into some high-rise buildings).

All domestic outlets here are 240V 50Hz single phase. No exceptions. Yep, some lower-voltage gear might have smoked, but somebody would've had to cut the plug off and fitted another, because every domestic 240V outlet in Australia is exactly the same.

And there's nothing worse than letting the smoke out... I hate that.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-01-29_17-04-51.jpg (38.85 KB, 174 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #333929 01/29/16 08:43 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We're really quite civilised now. wink!

Keith,

You were doing so well up to that statement. (chuckle)

After 4 pints of "Tooths" this wee Irishman became very uncivilized (or so my mates reported later).

Wow!

Don

AudioTrack #627511 12/04/20 04:42 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Sadly, we live in a 'chuck-it-out' world now. Too expensive to repair of maintain anything, and there's a better design right on the shelf.

The shop near me, unfortunately also one of the best in the area and they are always loaded with work because of it, wants a $65 DEPOSIT just for the intake. It was $25 at first, then $40, now $65. As people bring stuff in, and they repair it, far too often the repair costs are close to what a new unit costs, and the customer just abandons it.

From the customer side, why pay $185 for a repair when a new item with a year warranty is $225? If I pay the $185 I have my 12 year old thing back or I pay $40 more and have a new one.

From the shop's side, we just put in $58 worth of parts and 6 man hours into this thing and now he doesn't want it? On to the resale shelf it goes.

That's good for us because that makes for some affordable used gear. But your premise is exactly right. The microwave mentality has really taken over.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Does a 1925 King Alto Sax count?

Yamaha TX81z?

Roland MT-32?

Akai S-900?

Old Carvin PA speakers serving as the speakers for my CD/LP stereo system at home?

I've got a cassette deck and tons of cassettes I just can't throw out. I may digitize them some day.

I still have a lot of vinyl LPs and a turntable hooked up to my stereo. There are titles that you can't get anymore.

I have a closet full of sheet music and music books. Some I'll never play but can't part with.

That's about it.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
some of my old stuff that has retired seems to be appreciating much faster than my pension fund.

i paid £70 for my sound city 50 plus valve amp in the 80s. ebay now has them on for £5-600.

roughly the same time i paid £35 for an ibanez mostortion stompbox which now goes for ten times that on ebay.

not sure my late 90s peavey stage wedges have gone up like that. seems like there is a watershed after which new stuff just depreciates

as to gibsons i had a friend in the 60s with a prewar J45 but he never let on it was pre korean war.............

Last edited by Bob Calver; 12/08/20 07:01 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Time to sell, bro! Then you WILL be able to retire!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/08/20 09:57 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195