Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
ive been researching new usb audio interfaces.
one problem is STill for certain dynamic mics there is not enough mic pre gain in the interfaces.
thus one has to buy an in line preamp like a fethead or a martiaudio etc.
the only interface ive seen so far with more gain is the
ssl 2/2 plus usb interface with 62 db of gain in the mic pre.
with some interfaces. i'm haveing trouble finding the mic pre gain specs. some interfaces only offer up to 55 db gain.
thats ok for 48v condensor mics.
SO does anyone know new usb audio interfaces with strong mic pre gains over 62 db ?

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I've used my vintage SM58 quite a bit with my Emu which spec'd at +60db gain and the Motu M's spec is the same so I don't expect any difference. If it's a problem for you, get a separate mic pre to go before the interface. Depending on what you're doing and what you're finances are of course - you really don't have to spend a bunch unless you want to. I don't use a separate preamp and I've never had to turn up the gain more than 2 o'clock. Here's a song of mine using the SM58. Hope that helps.

https://youtu.be/-8xUqX6ke7w

Last edited by Sundance; 12/03/20 07:41 AM.
Expert
Expert
My sm58 records fine with my behringer umc204hd which also works fine with a condenser mic. Plenty of volume.

Veteran
Veteran
Focusrite interfaces have good mic pres built in. I've had no issues plugging in dynamic mics and getting enough signal. Their prices are pretty good as well.

Focusrite USB Interfaces

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
thanks everyone for your comments.
much appreciated.

useing a seperate mic pre into the usb interface is typically what ive done in the past when ive needed more gain.

one problem is when one is out trying to capture delicate nature sounds that are faraway. rather than in studio doing a belter of a song.
in the last few years ive used condenser mics for my vocs in studio. i like them.

i think most usb interfaces today are pretty decent , its a very competitive niche.

RME brand are the tops of course , due to their drivers. but rather expensive.
but with rapid tech change i'm leery spending a lot cos ive been burnt before on higher end products. and of course most interfaces today are pretty decent.
also frankly i'm tempted to wait to see what behringer are up to with regard to them putting a team together to develope a new daw.
i suspect the daw might be a disruptor/game changer and will be given away with any new interfaces they bring to market.

(as an aside if any one has the new 2021 biab version.
a question. cos i'm thinking of upgradeing my ultrapak with
just the 2021 plus pak for 99 buks.
i rather like the "standalone" biab version plug in.
but my 2020 version has no mixer. which i found odd.
so no way to change vols or pans.
has the 2021 version incorporated a mixer ?
i'm not talking normal biab chord view , i mean standalone version of plug in. thanks.)

merry xmas to all.
muso.
ps nice song sundance.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
OK, that's a specialty application, to record distant nature sounds. Perhaps you want a shotgun mic designed for that.

I agree, any of the common interfaces should work with a dynamic mic, and even better with a condenser, for 'normal' recording. I like the Focusrite mic pres but hate their software so I switched to Presonus interfaces, with a similar mic pre.

My ribbon mic, totally wrong for your use, has a different chain. It goes into a Royer mic dBooster, then into a stand-alone preamp by UA (the 710 Twin Finity, which is a blend of tube and solid state) then into the audio interface as a line level signal completely bypassing the audio interface mic pre. Something like the UA 710 Twin Finity would provide tons of gain, though, for you regardless of the mic you used.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I have no probs with a Shure 57 or a Sennheiser e609 into my cheap Focusrite 2i2o.
It may be a case that "certain" mics aren't up to the specialized job.
A specialized mic will get you what you need rather than the added noise that a massively pumped simple dynamic will offer.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Another vote for the Behringer UMC204hd.
The preamps are designed by Midas and are ridiculously good for the price.
Good construction as well - I've been using two of these running all day for
years without any problems.

ROG.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
well, after much analysis, and its only temporary anyway for a year.
(cos i want to see what new interface/daw behringer comes out with. i have a sneaking suspicion it might be a disruptor.)
i think i'm going to try the new audient evo interface.
its v inexpensive , great specs, and comes from the manufacturer of the legendary audient mixing consoles.
also latency is low.
one never knows of course till one tries it.
heres one review.(more on you tube.) with audio examples.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1307424-audient-evo-4-a.html
lol. my dear wife said she would buy me an rme for xmas.
but i want her to get some nice things for herself instead.

(by the way i nearly went for ssl2+ cos they are includeing
a bunch of interesting plug ins on special.)

best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/03/20 04:26 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Awww, That is so sweet. My top three contenders were the audient, the scarlett and the motu.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
the audient evo is being shipped.
after testing in depth i'll report back on this thread.
sometime look up their big studio mixing consoles.
just beautifull.

best.
muso.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Your first line in the opening salvo is that there isn't enough gain in USB interfaces for dynamic mics. You stated that was a certain thing.

I heartily disagree. Every external interface I've had: PreSonus Firebox, Tascam US-800, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, has had plenty of gain for my dynamic mics for my use in my home studio.

Capturing nature sounds outdoors is an entirely different beast and you will find that people that do that are often using shotgun mics, and other specialized mics - nearly always condenser mics, and using portable recorders with specialized pre-amps.

I've seen them also use the parabolic reflectors.

Here's an article on Bernie Krause, my favorite field recordist for nature sounds - he's got a unique rig.

https://hookeaudio.com/blog/3d-audio-talks/3d-audio-talks-audio-ecologist-bernie-krause/

A different article on the tragic loss of his equipment in a fire in 2017:

https://www.kqed.org/arts/13811269/bernie-krauses-equipment-decades-of-musical-memorabilia-lost-in-fires

you might consider making yourself a Jecklin disk and using a couple of PZM on each side of the disc, to get some enhanced L/R separation. I used to do binaural recording with Head Acoustics HMS III, and really got spoiled by them. You can also record, some what decently, with Countryman and other small element mics taped to your own head with the element placed at the entrance to the ear canal. I have several NOS countryman mics for sale that I bought in an estate sale. Hit me up with a PM if you would like me to direct you to them on the Sweetwater used gear store. Thes are mostly NOT the super small elements you see on many head-worn mics.

-Scott

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Your first line in the opening salvo is that there isn't enough gain in USB interfaces for dynamic mics. You stated that was a certain thing.

I heartily disagree. Every external interface I've had: PreSonus Firebox, Tascam US-800, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, has had plenty of gain for my dynamic mics for my use in my home studio.

I've got an old RME Fireface 800 and a MOTU 828 MK3 - preamps in both units have enough gain for me to use my SM7B's without issue. I previously had a Scarlett 2i2 mk1, and didn't have many issues there either except with very soft singers (but then we used one of those inline preamps similar to a Cloudlifter or Fethead and it was fine).

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Scott/Simon.
obviously you are both very knowledgeable people.
it depends of course often on the source. rageing guitar amp no problemo. lol.
i was purely reflecting the fact that , it seems, perusing various recording forums
some people seem to need way more pre gain for dynamics on certain sources.
(i'm a belter of a singer anyway so it dont matter to me.) ssl make a point that their interface has up to 62 db of range.

an interesting company is https://www.sounddevices.com/product/usbpre-2/
above my pay grade. but a lovely unit.

anyhoo i'm going to see how good the audient mic pre is.
lots of people seem very very happy with it.

merry xmas to you both.
and thanks scott for the field recording info etc.
muso.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Scott/Simon.
obviously you are both very knowledgeable people.
it depends of course often on the source. rageing guitar amp no problemo. lol.
i was purely reflecting the fact that , it seems, perusing various recording forums
some people seem to need way more pre gain for dynamics on certain sources.
(i'm a belter of a singer anyway so it dont matter to me.) ssl make a point that their interface has up to 62 db of range.

an interesting company is https://www.sounddevices.com/product/usbpre-2/
above my pay grade. but a lovely unit.

anyhoo i'm going to see how good the audient mic pre is.
lots of people seem very very happy with it.

merry xmas to you both.
and thanks scott for the field recording info etc.
muso.

Yeah, you don't need gain on a raging guitar amp, but you'll probably need a 20db pad! Or at least my 1995 Rivera Knucklehead will for sure, it's beastly loud!

My Fireface preamps have ~60db gain, which is "enough" for most sources. If I'm recording someone very quiet, I have a collection of preamps I've bought or built over the years that can do "better" than the RME - the best in my collection surprisingly are either an old Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster (60db preamp and another 10db output gain) and an equally old Digidesign Pre 8-channel (69db of very quiet gain on 8 channels!).

Always had great sound quality with all the Sound Devices stuff I ever used - better than just about anything! Priced accordingly of course...

Audient makes great stuff too, I've been happy using their products.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
audient arrived. will report back in new year how i like it.
merry xmas.
muso.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Looking forward to hearing all about it! I've always been a fan of Audient stuff, or really anything that Davies and Dearden have worked on (DDA and old Soundcraft). Fantastic products for the price.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199