Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
There are several updates I think make upgrading worthwhile. Here are some that come to mind:

10) You can now copy and move audio from track to track the same as you midi.

This one seems pretty basic. Only achieved now with 2021?

Quote:
Especially when it comes to audio, there is much less reason to move to a DAW other than personal preference. Many things users previously used DAWs for can now be done in BiaB. Not only is there more audio functionality but rendered audio and audio playback will sound better.

Do you feel RealBand is now on par with or better than Reaper?

A BIAB user for more than 30 years (if you can believe it) !
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Compare RealBand to Reaper? Why? How? They perform different jobs.

RealBand compliments Band-in-a-Box. RealBand offers features Band-in-a-Box doesn't have while Band-in-a-Box has features RealBand doesn't have. Both RealBand and Band-in-a-Box work with PG Music content like RealTracks and SuperMidi.

Reaper includes programming by script which allows users to mold the DAW to fit particular case uses and extend it's features.

I don't see how it's fair to either product to compare them. And, the question veers off topic.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
So, that clearly begs the question: what's the workflow that one should use to avoid going back and forth between BIAB and RB?

In my opinion, for accompaniment users, there's little if any benefit to move a project to RB. A very complex arrangement consisting of dozens of instruments mixed, panned and audio leveled can be programmed and rendered taking little time to complete. Constructing a song in BIAB by programming the arrangement similar to how one contructs the song form and chord progression into the Chord Chart yields a professional quality render that the BIAB algorithm has anticipated instrument changes such as solo intro's and endings, instrument mutes and return to normal status, the same as the Chord Chart anticipates and reacts to shots, holds, rests, drum fills, Part Markers and chord changes. The result is that BIAB selects part appropriate audio or midi and provides smooth transitions, avoids abrupt beginnings and cut off's and also many other automated actions and create nice, complex arrangements that normally don't require any post editing.

The same is true of composing except users have developed a workflow that prompts them into thinking they have to have a high degree of individual instrument manual control.

Originally Posted By: Funkifized
How does one make up for the fact that RB doesn't do anything with Multistyles and won't import frozen tracks?

Complete those actions in BIAB and export the audio out to RB.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/11/21 01:27 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
just thinking out loud but what happens if...........

you freeze tracks in BIAB
open the file in RB - tempo and bars should match
delete all the regenerated tracks (which would leave the chord sheet and part markers i think!)
re-open BIAB and select DAW mode and drag and drop the frozen tracks (and multi style changes) into the RB song...........

would that work? you'd still have to add reverb etc to the tracks in RB but would that be a simple workaround?

can't see any need to go back to BIAB if it works

Bob, there's a better method that requires less importing/exporting back and forth between you may want to try.
There are steps to create a BIAB song and open the saved file in RB with the individual frozen tracks saved with or without Fx applied to the tracks.
The process freezes the track, names the track and saves the track to the song file folder. In versions of BIAB prior to 2021, the Mixer tracks display both the blue snowflake symbol and also the changes the track color to orange. It's possible to confirm the saved track is identical to the current BIAB Mixer track. The saved tracks can be imported into any DAW that can use WAV or WMA audio files.

There are additional benefits to opening the BIAB song file in RB. In versions prior to 2021:
The saved files are named to match the Legacy BIAB Mixer Channels. (Bass, Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody, Soloist and Audio)
In RB, the first 8 BIAB can be converted to regular tracks and the frozen saved files can be imported to the matching RB first 8 BIAB tracks at the top of the tracks sheet.
In RB, the chords and part markers are imported correctly.
In RB, the underlying midi tracks are imported.

Opening a BIAB project in RB that's been prepared and saved in the BIAB project before opening it in RB provides the following in order:

The first 8 tracks will have the frozen and saved BIAB project tracks and they will be loaded in the BIAB Legacy Name order. (B,P,D,G,S,M,S,A)
The tracks starting at track 9 will have the new generated instruments from the BIAB project followed by
The underlying MIDI instrument tracks.

This isn't a workaround but a BIAB feature that's been available for recording audio since at least 2014 when I became aware of it. It works with both Windows and Mac systems.

Best of all. It literally is no harder to implement than freezing tracks. All of the freezing, naming, saving and track marking (snowflake and color change) are automated by BIAB.

Individual tracks can be selected from a single track to all of the BIAB Mixer tracks. In 2021, Utility Tracks can also be selected with a bit of effort.
This process works with MIDI, RealTracks or Audio.
This process allows the creation of Stems and sub-mixes from within BIAB with no requirement of a DAW.

To use this process:

Once a track is ready to be frozen and ready for export, rather than freeze the track in the normal manner,

Right click on the track: Track Actions| Save as Performance File (WAV,WMA)

That's it for BIAB. BIAB automates all of the rest of the actions! I've added a Screenshot of the BIAB project save folder. Note the files are saved in the BIAB Legacy Name format and in their listed order.

In RB, converting the BB tracks to regular tracks and importing the frozen saved tracks are the only additional actions that are necessary for the initial project setup to be as I described above.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2021-01-13 073621.png (67.86 KB, 73 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/13/21 03:26 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You save your RB SEQ files in the same folder?
Your image shows a SEQ file created a half hour later than the others .. just curious how it got there

Also, what's a 'terst'? (ducks and runs)

./\../\../\../\... made it this far, I don't think he can reach me now

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Terst is a level 2 test that is erased once a folder is dropped into a thread to demonstrate an action.

All of the files in the folder were created in BIAB and can be imported into RB or any other DAW that can accept WAV or WMA files...
The files in this folder were imported into RB after I opened the BIAB file in RB.

I saved the RB SEQ file into my Terst folder to make erasure a single click process.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/14/21 12:41 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195