Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
C
cesmith Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello,

I am looking to obtain a good set of speakers to use for play-along with BIAB. I have a Dell XPS laptop and the built in speakers are not sufficient for what I want to do.

I am a jazz double bassist and would like to play along with speakers blue-toothed to my computer. I am looking to mostly practice playing melodies and soloing along with backing tracks of chord changes.

Given the instrument I play standing up, plugging in or microphoning through headphones may be a bit more difficult, but I'm open to suggestions. What is a good audio configuration with BIAB for a stand-up double bassist?

Thank you!

Veteran
Veteran
Cesmith,

Older laptops were notorious for having very poor soundcards and the recommendation was to upgrade your soundcard for improved system sound. This has been greatly improved in recent years.

I have Barry MS-40s that I highly recommend. They are near-field monitors so take a bit of getting used to. They are fully capable of peeling paint or wallpaper so they should handle your bass adequately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IKSIOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

We need to know your budget.

Any size restrictions?

You probably know, there are powered and unpowered speakers. We generally call the powered ones monitors.

I highly recommend getting a modest audio interface such as a Focusrite 2i2 that connects to your laptop via USB. It bypasses the laptop audio (although Don is right, they are getting better) and it bypasses those horrid little headphone mini-jacks on laptops.

Since you play bass, can we assume the low end response is not as important for you?

What genre do you favor? The answer for classical might be different than for heavy metal or disco.

And, what's your budget!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I use Pioneer S-DJ50X powered (Active) monitors with BiaB and find them perfect for my purposes.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2020-12-27_10-51-22.jpg (29.84 KB, 177 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
cesmith Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Size: It'd be nice to have the speakers on a desk or table if possible. If the speakers would need to go on the floor, I would want them able to be tucked away somewhat when not in use.

Low-end response: While I do play bass, and intend to use the speakers for play-along, it might also benefit me to use the speakers for listening and transcribing as well. So, it would be good to have a decent low-end response. For play-along, I would mostly be doing jazz standards (piano/guitar + drum BIAB backing track). For listening and transcribing, I also like a lot of 60s/70s Soul + R&B in addition to jazz.

Interface & Budget: I hadn't thought of getting an interface at this time, but it may be worthwhile for recording purposes as well. Would it be possible to acquire the interface and speakers for around $400-500? If you have possibilities in mind that are a bit outside this range, please do suggest them as well.

Thank you.

Veteran
Veteran
With the laptop, I would recommend that you buy several things.

1. A USB external interface running ASIO.

2. A pair of powered, studio reference monitors.

Depending on what you buy, you're looking at a budget of around $500 for these items. They will, however, allow you to do so much more with your music and recording.

Connect the interface to the laptop and plug the speakers into the interface and you're ready to go

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/27/20 04:13 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
With the laptop, I would recommend that you buy several things.

1. A USB external interface running ASIO.

2. A pair of powered, studio reference monitors.

Depending on what you buy, you're looking at a budget of around $500 for these items. They will, however, allow you to do so much more with your music and recording.

Connect the interface to the laptop and plug the speakers into the interface and you're ready to go

Great advice. While it's possible to spend TONS of money on an audio interface and powered monitors, you might want to consider a quality, entry-level bundle. Here's a terrific one for $310.

PreSonus AudioBox 96 Ultimate Bundle

Available from many suppliers. Here's an Amazon link:

AudioBox 96 Ultimate Bundle from Amazon

The bundle also includes a license to Studio One Artist ($99 value). Great DAW. I use Studio One 5 Pro instead of Real Band.

Last edited by TheMaartian; 12/27/20 05:58 AM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
C
cesmith Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looks like a great package. Thanks very much!

Veteran
Veteran
Pioneer S-DJ50X powered (Active) monitors should be about US$300 (pair). I did a fair amount of research and a lot of listening to various products before settling on these.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
One thing to consider is the speaker's frequency range.

I have a friend who got the aforementioned Presonus kit, but has yet to get the computer to hook it all up to, so I look forward to hearing it but can't comment yet.
I did note these speakers only go down to 80Hz ..

The ones mentioned by VideoTrack and Don go down to 50Hz, which is a little better but still not quite what I personally need for monitors.

In my research you need a little bigger woofer to get down farther in the lower range.
However these take up more room, so there is always a tradeoff.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's part of the reason I mentioned the PreSonus bundle. I've got excellent 8" monitors, but even those won't fully cover a double bass. The OP can always upgrade the monitors in the future, using the same audio interface. The bundle will still be a significant upgrade in audio over his built-in speakers.

Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Veteran
Veteran
This is an interesting discussion and got me thinking. As Rharv suggested, speakers with a bigger woofer would be helpful, but wouldn't a sub accomplish the same thing?

I ask because I find myself in the same situation wondering about my KRK 8's.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Journeyman
Journeyman
A sub can be helpful, but good ones (for mixing) are pricey. A VST like Fundamental Bass from W.A. Productions is useful when mixing low freq material.

Fundamental Bass VST

Last edited by TheMaartian; 12/29/20 05:38 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, I have KRK 8s in my larger room for play-along. They work fine and bring good volume if needed. I would not use them to mix. The OP asked for speakers to play along with, and I think they are great for that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
OK, thanks for commenting Matt. I do sometimes wonder about the low end.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
"KRK 8s", "KRK 8's"
The above is kinda ambiguous. (sorry)

There is apparently a KRK 8s (subwoofer) and KRK (Rokit) 8" monitor and other possible interpretations.

Which do you guys use?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Good catch Bob. You won’t like my answer. I use both in that room. I don’t think I ‘need’ the sub but sometimes it gives just a tiny boost.

Veteran
Veteran
I just have two KRK 8" speakers, no sub. I've always wondered what the KRK sub would do for my system. Since my current 8's speakers themselves apparently go down to 36HZ (+/- 3db), the sub 10" sub apparently goes down a bit further to about 30hz.

Didn't seem to offer much bang for the buck. Their 12 incher apparently goes down to 26Hz but far outside my budget.

Jeff

Veteran
Veteran
If I hadn’t already had a sub I would not have bought it to use with the KRK 8 monitors. When it’s on, yuh feel it shaking the room more than hear it.

Veteran
Veteran
A "2+1" computer speaker system (2 treble speakers plus 1 sub woofer speaker)likely will match your need and budget. This +++ Logictech Z407 Computer Speakers +++ system is Bluetooth, micro USB and 3.5 mm capable, comes with a wireless rotary controller, 40 watts RMS of power and is $80 US at BestBuy. A 20 watt RMS system is $40.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195