Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you for confirming - so GarageBand can access it but not Band-in-a-Box. I'd like to check another third party program... could you check Reaper? You can download a free trial version. All you need to do is go to the Insert menu | Virtual Instrument on New Track and see if it's listed there.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
In addition to checking if Reaper can see the DLSMusicDevice, can you please navigate in Finder to /System/Library/Components, and compare the contents to my screenshot here:

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
M
I just purchased BIAB 2020 mac yesterday and have the exact same issue. Unfortunately for me NONE of the solutions worked.

Things I tried in addition to the items outlined in this thread --
1.Looked on 2 additional mac computers for the sf2 files. Could not be found on any of the machines, or user accounts -- non even on a machine running Mojave
2.Re-download all sound libraries using logic/garageband
3.Download public SF2 files and added to the DLSMusicDevice

I can confirm i can use the DLSMusicDevice in Logic with the publically downloaded sf2 files -- however its not detected in BIAB

In response to the above, I only see the following on my machine:

AppleScript.component
AudioCodecs.component
AudioDSP.component
AUSpeechSynthesis.component
CoreAudio.component
JavaScript.component

M
M
I just purchased BIAB yesterday and also am only able to use it with midi being routed to GarageBand or Logic to playback sounds. (I'm on MacOS Catalina)

I can confirm that creating a new user account allows me to use BIAB in that account, however, this is a very disruptive workaround and not really a solution for my current use-case.

Originally Posted By: Olivier H.
I am pleased to see that I am not the only one with this DLS problem.

Among the proposed solutions, there is only one that worked for me : create another user session.
But this is not very satisfactory for the workflow because my Logic Pro work sessions are on my main session. It makes you juggle from session to session. It's annoying.

To help understand all of this, I bring the following informations.
Under my main session, I still get the message "APPLE DLS ...". Therefore "Apple DLS" is never available in the midi input / output options.
However, if I first launch Logic Pro X (with an APPLE / DLSMUSIC / DEVICE instrument track), by setting the midi outputs of Band In A Box (option> midi input / output ports) to "BIAB Virtual Output" and selecting only the midi styles, I get the sound. But I don't have any sound at all if I select the Real Tracks styles.
And if I close LOGIC PRO X, the sound stops immediately in Band In A Box.

If I set the midi outputs (option> midi input / output ports) to "Midi Plugins", I have no sound, either for midi styles or for Real Tracks styles.

Does PGMUSIC at least work on these issues?

I was hoping the move to MacOs Big Sur would unlock something. But it is not.

I also tried to reinstall Band In A Box. But it didn't work either

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I can confirm i can use the DLSMusicDevice in Logic

Can you test out Reaper? It does sound like on the systems with this problem, Apple software (GarageBand, Logic) can see the AU plugin (DLSMusicDevice), however I am curious if other third party software aside from Band-in-a-Box can. Could you download Reaper to test? You don't need to learn new software, all you need to do is go to the Insert menu | 'Virtual Instrument on New Track' and see if it's listed there.

It would be great if you could provide a screenshot showing the Band-in-a-Box Plugin window (as I did above), and also the Reaper window. Command+shift+4 takes a screenshot. You can attach to your post using the File Manager link.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
M
Yeah, no problem -- i actually use reaper.

FYI - It shows up as an Aui instrument -- not in the Au instruments.

Screenshot added.

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:
I can confirm i can use the DLSMusicDevice in Logic

Can you test out Reaper? It does sound like on the systems with this problem, Apple software (GarageBand, Logic) can see the AU plugin (DLSMusicDevice), however I am curious if other third party software aside from Band-in-a-Box can. Could you download Reaper to test? You don't need to learn new software, all you need to do is go to the Insert menu | 'Virtual Instrument on New Track' and see if it's listed there.

It would be great if you could provide a screenshot showing the Band-in-a-Box Plugin window (as I did above), and also the Reaper window. Command+shift+4 takes a screenshot. You can attach to your post using the File Manager link.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Aui.png (787.88 KB, 10 downloads)
Aui
M
M
And in addition to the below, here's the screenshot I see in BIAB.

You will notice all the Apple plugins are missing from the list -- however 3rd party plugins are found and work.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB.png (980.59 KB, 9 downloads)
BIAB mac
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you for the information and for posting those images, we'll continue to look into this. It is very strange that this affects only one user account on the system. Can you also post the details of your mac / OS.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
M
No problem. Also for reference, the other user account, the AUi Apple Plugins show up fine in the plugin settings of BIAB, but in my main user account the AUi plugins do not appear correctly in BIAB -- I see Aui_______ blank (what I assume are the missing Apple plugins).

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,3
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB

Thank you for the information and for posting those images, we'll continue to look into this. It is very strange that this affects only one user account on the system. Can you also post the details of your mac / OS.

O
O
Thank you for confirming - so GarageBand can access it but not Band-in-a-Box. I'd like to check another third party program... could you check Reaper? You can download a free trial version. All you need to do is go to the Insert menu | Virtual Instrument on New Track and see if it's listed there.

I installed Reaper. When I insert a new track with Virtual Instrument, the apple plugins are there. And by playing on the virtual midi keyboard, we hear the basic sound in Reaper.

O
O
In addition to checking if Reaper can see the DLSMusicDevice, can you please navigate in Finder to /System/Library/Components, and compare the contents to my screenshot here:

By doing this, I can only see the following components :
- AppleScript
- AudioCodecs
- AudioDsp
- AuSpeechSyntesis
- CoreAudio
- JavaScript

But I can't see the others that are on your screenshot

OH

O
O

For information, my MacBook Pro is
- MacBook Pro 16" 2019 (bought in 2020) With BigSur (11.0.1)
- CPU intel i7 6 cores, 2667 Ghz
- Ram : 16 Go
- SSD : 2 To
- Graphics : Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 Mo
- Cache L2 : 256 ko
- Cache L3 : 12 Mo

O
O
Hello
I have a new item to report, to help understand the problem.
Surprisingly, following a bad manipulation, the second user account, created to use Band in a box, relaunched as if it was installed for the first time (a longer launch, like a reinitialization). So, when logging in to this user account, MacOs asked me to redefine the settings as if I were opening this session for the first time.
And this is where it gets interesting because I launched and could use band in a box, without needing to have previously opened Garage Band or Logic Pro (with an Apple DLS instrument track).
Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this with my main session. I forced the shutdown of my main session (long press on the on/off button). Then I restarted. But Apple DLS music was still missing when Band in A Box opened.

M
MGB Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Did anyone ever resolve this problem? l have the same problem. Literally happened overnight. Apple DLSMusicDevice is nowhere in sight. I'm running Big Sur 11.2.2. BIAB 2020 (421). I've tried all the suggestions with no joy.

BIAB 2020 Mac Audiophile
Logic Pro X

iMac Late 2015, Retina 5k, 27-Inch
macOS Monterey v12.4
Proc 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel CORE I7
RAM 40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Apogee Element 88
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
MGB - If you're unable to see DLSMusicDevice in the plugin list, click on the Options button in the Plugins window, then click Exclude MIDI Plugins and uncheck <AUi> Apple: DLSMusicDevice.

Also please install build 423: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm#2020_423

I work here
O
O
Hello

I just installed the latest update.
And I am very happy to say that the problem is solved with this update. Everything is working again.
to all the team : you did a great job
Thanks

Sincerely,

Olivier H.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Glad to hear you're up and running again Olivier! You're very welcome!

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199