Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
... Nothing more than a sheet of paper is needed to write a song if you are a highly trained and skilled musician. ... Billy
A pen or pencil helps! whistle

Sorry Billy, I couldn't resist.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
... Nothing more than a sheet of paper is needed to write a song if you are a highly trained and skilled musician. ... Billy
A pen or pencil helps! whistle

Sorry Billy, I couldn't resist.

You forgot about my most used tool the undo, I mean eraser wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I believe that if you like it and you're proud of what you created, that's all that matters. Music should be a audio representation of you and your emotions. Let a couple of your friends listen to it and see how they feel cause yes constructive criticism is great but again, make music for you.

That's my two cents! Bad advice, probably :P

Couldn't agree more!! That's EXACTLY what I subscribe to. I make music for me. If someone likes it fine. if they don't that's also fine. As far as critics I could care less.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I believe that if you like it and you're proud of what you created, that's all that matters. Music should be a audio representation of you and your emotions. Let a couple of your friends listen to it and see how they feel cause yes constructive criticism is great but again, make music for you.

That's my two cents! Bad advice, probably :P

Couldn't agree more!! That's EXACTLY what I subscribe to. I make music for me. If someone likes it fine. if they don't that's also fine. As far as critics I could care less.

That makes three of us who feel the same way.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
When it's a song you're looking forwarding to revisiting six months from now and you know you'll still like it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
If I could find my pen I would write you guys a note but...

If I go back and listen to a song I recorded ten or fifteen years ago and I still really like it then it was a good song but perhaps only to me.

I have a few CDs in my truck, 90% are my own recordings. I like recording and creating music. Some of the crap I have created was as much fun as the good stuff.

It is none of my business what you think of my songs. If you get to hear them and they please you wonderful. If they irritate you change the channel...lol

Well, at least I now know why I had so much trouble getting songs down on paper...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
C
C
Hi
Just my thoughts

- the lyrics one writes are like brush strokes of your paint brush carefully following the direction of your emotional thoughts on a painters canvas telling a story with each colorful stroke of the brush

- every word you write tells a story from the heart

- when your song has a home in your heart you have a song

- if writing lyrics come easy for you, you have talent

- the connection of the song with the performer enlightens the 7 colors of the rainbow

Songwriting
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Roger, I see you are associated with NSAI so I'll give my take and see if you agree.

I joined NSAI back in 2017 and spent the first year sending in my songs for evaluation and I was disappointed when all of the feedback was about unclear lyrics and dated melodies. Once I got over the initial shock I started to incorporate their input into my songs and, lo and behold, the quality of my songs started to improve. By the time 2020 rolled I was able to pen 9 "One to Watch" songs as designated by NSAI evaluators. Does that mean I'm a pro songwriter? Of course not, but since my goal has always been to have others record my songs I knew that had to appeal to today's market, which I am getting better at. Regardless of whether a publsiher ever picks up one of my songs or not, I can say I am enjoying much more success (and the entire process as well) now then before NSAI.

Hey Dewey, I joined NSAI back on Jan 1 of this year. I agree, NSAI is a great resource. The videos from the pros alone are worth the price of admission. I am very curious to hear how you are using BIAB in your process, and checked out your page at NSAI as well as your Sound Cloud page! I live in Jax, but just affiliated with your Mid-Michigan chapter!

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
If I may, I'll add a bit more. I "know" it's a good song when it fills the space in my head not taken up by what MUST be thought about. When I "hear" it walking to the market or pulling weeds. When I'll miss a meal to work on it. When my wife thinks I *might* have a mistress because there's a little extra spark there.

And if the song isn't "good", at least that feeling is.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
You'll know you've written a good song when people are singing it at Karaoke night.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
When sources beyond the usual circle of family and close friends tell you it’s good. Our best source of affirmation has been highly respected forum members and licenses. FWIW.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
What Bud said reminded me of one of my best sources of affirmation.

A young lady gave me a five dollar food stamp as a tip in a juke joint in South Central LA. It very possibility could have been the only thing she had of value. Ment more to me than dealing with Bruce Iglauer.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
You know you have written a good song when you play it and sing it live and it gives you cold chills.

And you know you have written a good song when you perform it and people are crying around you.

C.Dan

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Goodness yes!

A friend released a song that included the line "I cannot imagine life without you in it." My sister and I went to see him that day play at a local bar. I brought her along because her husband went missing 3 days before and thought she could use some cheering up. (Husband's body was found a year later.)

When he sang that song it was heart wrenching.

Yes, it is a good song and a great line.

...Deb

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
When sources beyond the usual circle of family and close friends tell you it’s good. Our best source of affirmation has been highly respected forum members and licenses. FWIW.

Bud
Yep.

The affirmation of family and friends is meaningless to me as to whether or not a song is any good. They'll always be nice so that cannot be trusted.

I never announce my own songs unless a showcase where I'm supposed to talk about them. If they stand up to the rest of the material I'm doing, I'll know soon enough.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It's been a few years ago now.... maybe 6 or so. I don't play out live much anymore since the last band I was in, a house band, broke up. A few years in a church band, a couple of backyard BBQ jams.... but really nothing much to speak of. I spend my energy and time here, in the studio, writing and recording.

A few years ago.... I was invited to participate in a songwriter event by a friend who knew that I wrote and recorded. Several other writers and singers where there and the deal was we got to sing a couple of our creations and the others would jam along if they felt capable of following something they didn't know.

This is one of the songs I selected to play that evening.

Footsteps in the Hall

I don't think anyone followed along, choosing instead to simply listen. At the end of the set, a big burly guy came up to me and told me that the song about the footsteps in the hall, hit a place in his heart and it made him shed a tear.

I think, that's probably as good of a compliment as one can expect.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
No offense guys but I think I'm in my own lane on this one. It seems like a lot of folks in the forum think a "good" song is a "Sad" song. In my view nothing is further from the truth. I think a good song is a song that resonates with the audience. Generates a "connection" whether that be Happy, Sad, Argumentative, introspective, etc... When you've written a song where the listener sings the "Hook" subconsciously as it's playing. Not the verse but the hook. There are lots of uptempo songs that are GREAT songs played worldwide. Think Earth Wind, Fire, Chicago, Hall and Oates, etc... Those musicians still generate thousands in royalties every year because they make folks feel good when they hear them. And "NO Pianobilly, I respectably disagree. I think you need more than a pencil and paper and musical education to write a good song. That may work in your genre but there are lots of genres where its just not the case. Some songs are great because of the drum beat, guitar riff, horn section, etc.. and of course if the song is vocal driven nothing makes a song resonate like a great vocal performance. You can have the best lyrics in the world (which few listeners really care about) but if the vocal stinks the song stinks. That's just sad but true. There's that old American Bandstand adage ... "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it" :-)

I have a song that's trending worldwide on iTunes, Deezer, and Amazon and Spotify right now. It's not BIAB. The vocals are flat and not balanced, the mix is average, the song is a bit silly but it's resonating purely because of the hook and the positive energy. I've received a lot of great comments. I thought the song was ok but audiences are connecting and telling me they think it's pretty good.

http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1454291240?ls=1&app=itunes

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-With-It/dp/B...lMMIbLzEEbkZmyw

https://open.spotify.com/track/4ZVYqEGzUOJTgGyOcWEE6q?si=4a1f8327225c4f3b

Because of the response I "think" I've written a good song :-) Hope this message doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. It's just an opinion from another perspective.

Songwriting
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Hi there!

I know through my gut feeling. Failsafe method for me. I am a very intuitive person anyway but when I get that certain feeling of a deep, deep satisfaction down in my belly/solar plexus, then I know I have written a good song. I just instinctively know it's finished and it's worth while. If I don't have that feeling, the song never sees the light of day or is re-worked until "it" happens.

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think your absolute sure when you standing on stage accepting a small object that looks strangely like a shiny disc. Muttering the words “ I’d like to thank....”

Just saying!

Oh and Herb I have to point out that you my old friend have written several very nice song. I have really enjoyed listening to your work as it progressed through the years.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
No offense guys but I think I'm in my own lane on this one. It seems like a lot of folks in the forum think a "good" song is a "Sad" song. In my view nothing is further from the truth. I think a good song is a song that resonates with the audience. Generates a "connection" whether that be Happy, Sad, Argumentative, introspective, etc... When you've written a song where the listener sings the "Hook" subconsciously as it's playing. Not the verse but the hook. There are lots of uptempo songs that are GREAT songs played worldwide. Think Earth Wind, Fire, Chicago, Hall and Oates, etc... Those musicians still generate thousands in royalties every year because they make folks feel good when they hear them. And "NO Pianobilly, I respectably disagree. I think you need more than a pencil and paper and musical education to write a good song. That may work in your genre but there are lots of genres where its just not the case. Some songs are great because of the drum beat, guitar riff, horn section, etc.. and of course if the song is vocal driven nothing makes a song resonate like a great vocal performance. You can have the best lyrics in the world (which few listeners really care about) but if the vocal stinks the song stinks. That's just sad but true. There's that old American Bandstand adage ... "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it" :-)

I have a song that's trending worldwide on iTunes, Deezer, and Amazon and Spotify right now. It's not BIAB. The vocals are flat and not balanced, the mix is average, the song is a bit silly but it's resonating purely because of the hook and the positive energy. I've received a lot of great comments. I thought the song was ok but audiences are connecting and telling me they think it's pretty good.

http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1454291240?ls=1&app=itunes

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-With-It/dp/B...lMMIbLzEEbkZmyw

https://open.spotify.com/track/4ZVYqEGzUOJTgGyOcWEE6q?si=4a1f8327225c4f3b

Because of the response I "think" I've written a good song :-) Hope this message doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. It's just an opinion from another perspective.

The funny thing Henry is.... I went to a songwriting forum in LA back in 2009 I think it was....it was put on by TAXI and it's done yearly. It's called the Rode Rally and one of the things they did in one of the many classes there was to examine the hit, meaning #1 songs of the past year. They broke them down by tempo, key, topic etc.... to get a feel for what the people were listening to and liking, so that we as writers had a better idea what we should be writing.

For years, I've heard it said.... you need to write uptempo happy songs. Stay away from the sad slow stuff and especially the ballads. Don't write ballads because no one wants to sing them or listen to them. Well, this survey decided that the majority of the last years #1 hits for that year were in fact over 50% ballads and a number of those were sad songs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195