Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
floyd jane #636160 01/13/21 01:58 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I really like this one. Lot's of fun elements to soak in - The song to me has a real 'Brooks and Dunn' feel throughout and you did a great job with the loops. Vocals and the vocal/BG arrangement was outstanding. It would be fun to hear you and Mr. Henry Clarke team up on a vocal production - wink

This song has a good dose of everything it needs - Excellent write, production, performance and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen and wondering if that video from a few months back has been beneficial and influences your current writing workflow?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #636189 01/13/21 04:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, it certainly gave Janice “happy feet” and she was singing along happily too - irrespective of the bit of sadness in the lyric!

Your production genre expansion over the last 7-8 years has been remarkable. You are blessed to have not only the skills to do that but also the vocal chops.

Both Tyminski and Lake Street Dive come to mind ... that’s a good thing for us.

The separation of bass and kick tracks is very effective.

The harmonies with the third below added are nice as are counterpoint vocals.

We liked the old “cows come home” juxtaposed with the modern production.

Expand on mr jane and have fun doing it!

J&B

Gary Weder #636238 01/13/21 10:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, as usual you have another hit on your hands.

Nice use of the VST and loops. I gonna have to try that.

Thanks, Mario.

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Floyd.

Berklee college is just reinventing the wheel with the cute and clever "topliner" moniker to drum up some buisness.
The modus operandi of music writing/making has shifted from humans to machines. Want a particular sound or sequence ? No problem , there are a zillion free acid loops on the net to cut and paste to your hearts content.
Berklee said “long-term success in this business comes from being able to change with the times….songwriters need to understand that music is always changing.>”
At least Berklee got that right .
Floyd wrote <"Top-line writing" (we did not grow up doing that.... many of today's writers have)>"
I repectfully dissagree . Who hasn't "tapped" the table (beats) while singing a melody in their head?

As for "I'll be gone" , my usual superlatives apply to my favourite songsmith but I will add that you are heading in the right direction smile
respect
Gary.

Gary - Thanks. Berklee did not come up with the term. It has been around for a while. Their site just happened to be the first to come up when I googled the term in case folks were not familiar with it.
Here is another:
https://www.musicgateway.com/blog/how-to/topline-writers-definition-how-to-start-toplining

floyd jane #636249 01/13/21 11:40 AM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Floyd,

Creative approach to songwriting. Catchy sound and rhythm to this. I always thought it harder to write lyrics to pre-existing music, having always written them somewhat simultaneously (or adding the music to someone else’s lyric). Having done it now a few times, I think it’s not quite as challenging as I had imagined, and actually frees you a bit in some ways. This is your usual stellar write, fitting just perfectly with the sound you've created—and maybe therein that’s one advantage to the approach. Very slick tune!

From a production standpoint, don’t think I’ve ever used loops, Definitely worth exploring more.

Best regards,

Deej

floyd jane #636268 01/13/21 02:04 PM
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Hi Floyd.
I sincerely appologise for over reacting. I had never heard the term before and it just struck me as a gimmick.
respect
Gary.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
That was very catchy. Well written tune. Music fits the bill perfectly. Good work.

Thanks, jpt....

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, the rhythm is very infectious!

Great song, floyd, that chorus especially stays with you.

Love what you did at the end smile

I really admire the way you are not stuck in the "old" way of doing things and continue to push the sides of the envelope trying new techniques.

And getting great results in doing so!

I appreciate all of that, Dave. I get bored doing "the same old stuff", so I'm constantly walking new paths (some work, some don't) just to keep myself enthused. And, I've come to like a lot of new music...Sometimes that takes a while, but I've found it "rewarding". And fun...

floyd jane #636359 01/14/21 06:02 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Your departure has delivered a smile to my face and a tap to my feet.
That was fun and enjoyable.

Regardless the process, the result is what counts and you can take pride in this one.

As always, your writing and vocal delivery is top notch.

moto

floyd jane #636365 01/14/21 06:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It just goes to show that 4 chords can get the job done. As long as you vary the melody i.e. going higher in the chorus it’s not always necessary to vary the chord structure. This idea works well with the pop genre and is found in a lot of modern country. Your vocal is great and the low harmony is extremely effective. Your usual good lyrics and high standard of production make this a great listen,Tom

floyd jane #636387 01/14/21 08:11 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Floyd,

I'm into my winter mode, so I now have time to work on originals and check out the forum.

This is some good stuff! I'm gonna have to try that looping idea.

This is for sure up to your normal level of excellence! I especially like what you did at the end.

Anyway, great job!

Greg

I have something new I've been working on and will be posting soon.

floyd jane #636471 01/15/21 03:08 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I found the whole concept really interesting, but in the final analysis it's the end which
justifies the means, or not....

In this case, you've created a splendid groove which serves as a vehicle for a great lyric and
your usual excellent vocal performance.

I think the technique has it's place in modern composition, but I also that think it needs to be kept
under strict regulation in case it simply becomes a crutch without which we can't walk.

Many thanks for another stimulating experience.

Cheers,
ROG.

floyd jane #636497 01/15/21 06:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Floyd,

This is very interesting. When I knew it was loops, I didn't know quite what to expect--or whether I would even like it.

My "sensibilities" are getting persnickety as I get older and I generally shudder when I hear music that is "loop-centric."

However, in this tune, you managed to create a warmth to the music and feel, and kept the "loops in their place" as another listener said, even though they are forefront. Very interesting how you did that. Not only was I able to listen, but I really enjoyed it.

This is great pop, and I mean that as a compliment, because I am a pop fiend as you know.

smile

floyd jane #636505 01/15/21 07:04 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd this is nice !, And the use of loops are standing there own on this song a great write, great vocals and like the fact its experimental and as one comment said gets the vibe for others to want to try experimenting.

This put me in mind a bit of a song i wrote using a b.i.a.b. style

https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/track/what-we-had-before

Well to my ears it has a hint of the same rhythm .

Again Nice one !!

wee bit of loops history

In music, tape loops are loops of magnetic tape used to create repetitive, rhythmic musical patterns or dense layers of sound when played on a tape recorder. Originating in the 1940s with the work of Pierre Schaeffer, they were used among contemporary composers of 1950s and 1960s, such as Éliane Radigue, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, and Karlheinz Stockhausen, who used them to create phase patterns, rhythms, textures, and timbres. Popular music authors of 1960s and 1970s, particularly in psychedelic, progressive and ambient genres, used tape loops to accompany their music with innovative sound effects. In the 1980s, analog audio and tape loops with it gave way to digital audio and application of computers to generate and process sound.

Last edited by beatmaster; 01/15/21 10:50 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

floyd jane #636544 01/15/21 12:16 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FJ, a lot's been said already...I think even that has been said a few times. It's all well deserved.
I really enjoyed your endeavors in 2020; and 2021 is looking to be another fun year!

Somehow you seem to have the unique ability to stretch yourself to new areas and yet retain the identity of who you are. Not an easy thing to do.

Back to the song. It's fun. It's catchy. It's well thought out without seeming that way. The gradual building of instruments to keep your ear interested it's very nice. From the subtlety of adding adding reverb on the 4th "snap" to the adding of instruments over time; fantastic. It's only further emphasized by taking them out towards the end! Then why not write two vocal parts the work so well together? No need to decide which is the better route if you can make both work! Amazing.

All around great job in my opinion. I always appreciate you sharing your talents.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
floyd jane #636546 01/15/21 12:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A separate comment I wanted to address...

Gary, I'm not sure that you will see this; but here goes nothing.

Quote:
Berklee college is just reinventing the wheel with the cute and clever "topliner" moniker to drum up some buisness.

I don't believe they invented this phrase. If they did it wouldn't have been recently. I know it's been around for decades for sure; and I'm guessing longer than that. I first learned of this phrase in 1991 while in college; and I don't believe my school would have been the one to coin the phrase either. smile

If you work in any pro studio; they know what top lining is. Both the method and terminology are used very frequently.

Hopefully helpful. smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
floyd jane #636570 01/15/21 02:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This has a modern feel---but what in the heck do I know about modern. smile

The loopy rhythm creates a subtle sense of urgency to match the lyrics.

Effective contrast in the melody between the verse and chorus.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

Absolutely beautiful !
My new Floydfav from now on !
You´re a master of looping
that´s for sure !
This is a masterpiece !
WoWOWOWOW !

Have a Really Good and Safe
New Experimenting Year !!

Stay safe and take
care !

Cheers
Dani

smile

Always enjoy your comments, Dani... Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, I love it when you venture into pop territory because it puts your versatility on display! Man the cadence of your vocal delivery is catchy! Every single thing you put up is great and you've done it again! T

That's nice of you to say, Torrey...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi floyd,

What I admire about you is that your compositions are always well done. The melody always so pleasant and I love your lyrics. Well done and very pleasant.

Kindly regards
Take care of yourself.

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks you, Derochette!

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
I love this. The harmony is superb and the I like the guitars, overall a great song!!

Thanks for stopping by, Ronnie...

floyd jane #636999 01/18/21 03:32 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I don't know what it takes to jump into a new field like that, but you certainly do have it, Floyd. Your willingness to teach and share the brief on the techniques is greatly appreciated.
Me, I've been working with relatively ancient ideas of arrangement. That would be something like:
Intro x I
V/Ch x II
Ch x I and out
You will recognize this from your studio days. The importance of the arrangement is gradually sinking in to this thick skull. I'm wondering, how does looping relate to traditions of arrangement?
Great song, BTW. Reminds me of Alan Jackson, one of my favs.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Deej56 #637064 01/18/21 10:45 AM
User Showcase
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Creative approach to songwriting. Catchy sound and rhythm to this. I always thought it harder to write lyrics to pre-existing music, having always written them somewhat simultaneously (or adding the music to someone else’s lyric). Having done it now a few times, I think it’s not quite as challenging as I had imagined, and actually frees you a bit in some ways. This is your usual stellar write, fitting just perfectly with the sound you've created—and maybe therein that’s one advantage to the approach. Very slick tune!

From a production standpoint, don’t think I’ve ever used loops, Definitely worth exploring more.

Best regards,

Deej

Charlie Fogle is correct. You can definitely write full songs from loops. BIAB is only one tool I use for my compositions. When I want to write to horns and synths or solid uptempo commercial music I use loops. BIAB doesn't work as well for me. Give this song a quick listen.

https://youtu.be/X84bv1TxlAk

This song has over 15k plays on Spotify, 2,000 views on YouTube (with no video), over 12k plays on Soundcloud and Plays on Pandora Radio. It is ALL loops.

Al-David #637215 01/19/21 05:28 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Every time I comment on of your songs there is a huge smile on my face brought on by the music in my ears, Floyd. Really quite amazing what you've accomplished here, Sensei (or what3ever the equivalent is for master music teacher). Outstanding example of unmatched creativity.

Thanks for the great comments, Marty... (there are a bunch of creative people on this forum - including you!)

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, I love it when you venture into pop territory because it puts your versatility on display! Man the cadence of your vocal delivery is catchy! Every single thing you put up is great and you've done it again! T

Hi Floyd ...

I fully agree with all Torrey said. Versatility is a good thing. I weave in and out of various genres as the mood strikes. In my opinion, there's not all that much bad music out there - just some of it isn't presented as good as it could be.

Love everything about this. And that ending is so cool!

IO write some songs in a similar manner. I often let the percussions and bass line set the direction and add and subtract various other instruments until I get the sound I want. If it's conducive to a vocal, I'll then see what i can do about that. I haven't the faintest clue how to bring in a third party loop. I just work with whatever BIAB has to offer.

Anyway, this is a terrific listen - loved the outro! Excellent work. Take care and have a tremensou 2021.

Alan & Di

Thanks for the nice review, Alan... you don't seem to need anything more than BIAB to create some killer stuff...keep it up! Hope you and Di have a great 2021!!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199