Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There say I may get a vaccine soon. It will take a long time to get the vaccine out.

My guess we could see some start un in 2022

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I got my first Moderna shot last week.

I read an article in the newspaper saying that area hospitals received quantities of the vaccine. We are in the current group to be vaccinated, so we started calling and re-dialing and re-dialing. Two hospitals were out already. We called dialed and redialed the third and finally got through. They gave us an appointment to be jabbed at 6:30 AM. Of course, I wasn't awake yet wink

We must have gotten in just under the wire because Leilani called a girlfriend and by the time she got through they were all out.

I had minimal side effects. If I raised my arm above the horizontal I had a dull ache in the vaccination spot the next day. Definitely not enough to call it pain, just enough to let me know something happened there.

When will we perform again? I hope by the 2021-2022 winter season. I haven't had a gig since March 17, 2020.

We are learning new tunes, I'm making backing tracks for them, and we can rehearse in our house, but without the audience, something is missing.

I'm not complaining though, our house is paid for, we are debt free, and we are healthy. There are others who are much worse off. We feel lucky.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
We are learning new tunes, I'm making backing tracks for them, and we can rehearse in our house, but without the audience, something is missing.

It doesn't have to be missing. Set up a Zoom call, post the invite here, and you will have dozens of people watching and listening.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I’m a jazz musician but as a diversion I direct and write music for an eight-piece classical chamber orchestra that arose from church concerts. I’ve taken the optimistic step of scheduling an outdoor concert in a tent May 29. We will see if it can happen. At least the musicians have a gig they can look forward to, and morale is important.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am supposed to play March 5th but I have a had time imagining me crowding into a little room with 9 other people to rehearse for a show that I anticipate will be cancelled. That's 8 weeks from this past Friday. Covid isn't going to change radically by then. The venue only holds 2000, and they have told me that they can only seat to 1/6th capacity, so about 350. At $40 a ticket, I can't see it being profitable for them when they pay staff, bands, electric bills... That venue has a "cabaret" format where they set the band up at the back of the stage and puts 200 folding chairs on the stage. They charge $20 a seat and don't have to light the whole place, have ushers, concession people for 4 stands, etc. I just wish they'd make a call so we don't waste time and risk our health to rehearse for a show that doesn't happen. I have pretty much lost interest in that band by now anyway and am still deciding if I will just drop out completely rather than deal with some of the issues inside the walls.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Everything has changed. Personally, I think it's going to be a long time before things get back to normal. And count me in the camp of those who believe that the world will never return to what we knew it to be in 2019.

( crazy conspiracy theory redacted ) Nothing to see here.... move along.....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Truth is we stopped playing music "the way we use to" way before the pandemic came along. Nightly gigs became three day weekend gigs. Weekend gigs became the Saturday night gig.

Clubs got smaller, cost of larger venues became more expensive. Insurance became more costly by the year. More law enforcement is needed every year. The cleanup gets has become a bigger deal.

Drugs that are killing large numbers of people are in constant use any music venues. You can play on the street in Houston,Texas but you can not except a tip.

The trash is unbelievable, drunk Chesney fans.

I think the local Saturday night band will be around for a bit more into the future but who knows. The music world is changing along with a country that is hardly recognizable.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here in Cleveland the business died in 1986 when the state changed the drinking age to 21 in response to BLACKMAIL from the state who said "Change it from 18 or 21 or you get ZERO highway funds." Before that there was more venues than bands and we decided where and when we would play and told them how much they were going to pay us. Slowly there were venues closing everywhere because they lost that 3 year demographic that included college kids. Then there were more bands than venues and the undercutting began. Bands that made $1200 a night for a bar gig were playing for $400, just to play. Fortunately I was always in good bands so we got private party and corporate work. Now every band is a 3 piece with a front singer and they all play the same 50 songs so every player can play in many bands. You never see the same lineup twice in a row. Nobody rehearses. I have been at places where the drummer and bass player had to be introduced on stage. How tight can a rhythm section be that have never even met, much less played together?

But hey, I'm almost 70 and my music time is about over.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Somehow I have lost the desire to be on stage. The last few times have been OK but not very rewarding, nice young guys to play with. They are good friends and we like each other a lot. Most are thirty years younger then me.I play their stuff but they don't know how to play much of anything I really like. Had some fun playing in Rome in the street in 2018. All my bandmates have got old and died.

Besides all the typical aches and pains the worst thing about getting old is losing everyone you went through life with. Sometimes I play along with the record and remember the nights and places we played . Many of the juke joints no longer exist and have been long since torn down. I can still smell the Bar B Q out back. Never had really any fear and never really had any trouble.

I always had Colt Python in my guitar case but never had the occasion to need it. The only things that has changed is the 40 Cal Sig I carry around now days, concealed and locked and loaded.

Nowadays no place is safe, from the bar down the street to the United States Capitol.

We will be back playing in the places we use to play in that have not gone under but it will never be the same.

Billy

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I always had Colt Python in my guitar case but never had the occasion to need it. The only things that has changed is the 40 Cal Sig I carry around now days, concealed and locked and loaded.

Nowadays no place is safe, from the bar down the street to the United States Capitol.

We will be back playing in the places we use to play in that have not gone under but it will never be the same.

Billy"

Funny how each country is different Billy, over here in Irealnd (though we have had our share of trouble mainly in the past) no one except the criminal fraternity feels the need to carry a gun or would feel comfortable doing so, in Uk it would be the same.

But then if its the thing to do to protect yourself where you live, its hard to have any other option.

As regards playing I don't seem to find as many doing live music on facebook nowadays as used to be earlier in the pandemic.

Last edited by musiclover; 01/11/21 02:17 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

It doesn't have to be missing. Set up a Zoom call, post the invite here, and you will have dozens of people watching and listening.

Good idea, but it's not the same thing.

What we do is a dialog with the audience. Immediate feedback, back and forth responses, I even choose the next song by judging how the one I'm presently playing is going over and doing my best to anticipate the wants or needs of the audience.

When I see Big John come in, after he gets settled I'll play "Fever", "Chain Of Fools" or one of his other favorites. Margot gets "What A Diff'rence" or "Moonglow". Ann gets "Jolene", "Happy" or "Cat's in the Cradle". Don gets "True Love Ways" dedicated to Shirley. Others I know by their faces and their songs. Plus we have running gags with the audience, and they all know their parts in the routine.

And yes, the live music business has been dwindling for decades.

I "blame" a few things.

1) Home media improvements(TV, Internet, etc). In my parent's generation TV was black and white, and the audio bandwidth was so narrow the frequency response was almost entirely midrange. As I hit the stage, TV was color, but the picture was grainy and the audio bandwidth in the broadcast was still narrow and midrange. Now we have 7.1 high fidelity surround sound, giant screens that look great, zillions of cable channels, and they hook up to the Internet. You don't have to go out to hear live sounding music anymore. You can have Billie Eilish, The Rolling Stones, Brad Paisley, The London Philharmonic or just about anyone else you want in your living room looking great and sounding great

2) At home diversification of entertainment: People don't rely on music as much as they once did. Smartphones, computers, and anti-social media compete.

3) Away from home diversification: Karaoke, Sports Bars, DJs, and Open Mic nights have replaced a lot of the gigs that pro musicians used to rely on.

I saw this trend coming in the 1990s, so I ceased to rely on the night-clubs for gigs and went after the biggest market in South Florida, Senior Citizens. We went for Yacht Clubs, Country Clubs, Condominiums, Retirement Developments, and the like. We can work 2 nights a week, make what we used to make 5 or 6 nights in a club, and there is always an audience, (never the Thursday night doldrums because there is a party, and people are invited).

It's been good to us. For the past 12 years before COVID, we had an afternoon gig in a restaurant one day per week in the tourist season. It was also a place where the elderly audience hangs out, and we got a lot of side gigs from that one.

The elderly audience grew up with live music being the binding identity of their generation, so they still enjoy it.

Then COVID happened, and my audience being of the vulnerable age wisely decided to stay home.

I'm hoping that when this plague has subsided, they will be as eager to hear live music as we are eager to entertain them.

I have never lost the thrill of being the entertainer and having that dialog with an appreciative audience, and hope I never do lose that thrill. I'll be like Willie Nelson or Tony Bennett and entertain until I can no longer do it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here in New York State the DJs put most of the wedding bands out of business and the DWI laws killed at lot of the other places we used to play, like the VFWs, Elks clubs, etc. In the small town I grew up in there were 4 bars that had local bands playing on Friday and Saturday nights in the late 1960s. Now there are none. So my days of gigging have been over for about 20 years now.

To get back on the topic I don't think that we will be able to do a lot of things like we used to do.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/11/21 04:01 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Most are thirty years younger then me.

Billy, GOD is 30 years younger than you. <ducking>

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Funny how each country is different Billy, over here in Ireland (though we have had our share of trouble mainly in the past) no one except the criminal fraternity feels the need to carry a gun or would feel comfortable doing so, in UK it would be the same.

But then if its the thing to do to protect yourself where you live, its hard to have any other option.

If the criminal fraternity didn't have those guns, would they still be criminals? I think if someone has it in their heart to be evil they will do it with a gun, a sword, a knife or a shovel.

However, if the rest of the people refuse to be victims and carry defensive weapons, who are they going to rob? Laws vary in different countries. However, no matter what the law is, just having a law in place does not ensure people will obey it. The gun control nuts here have zero idea of what current gun law is, and if they would seek education about it they would see that the laws in place are strong. What you can't legislate in any circumstance is behavior and making people follow those laws. It's against the law for a felon to own a gun. But how do you legislate against that felon's neighbor buying a gun and letting that felon "steal" it (and coincidentally "drop" $1000 where the gun used to be)? If that neighbor is will to commit that "straw purchase" felony for $1000, no law is going to prevent that. I own a rifle and 4 handguns. I bought every one of them legally, at sporting stores, filling out the proper paperwork. I have no police record at all so I had no problem. DUI, domestic violence, having had in patient mental health care in your life, being a fugitive from justice, being in the country illegally... all of those things are disqualifying conditions. The anti gun people have no idea what the legal process is to buy a gun. They will immediately point to private sales not being subject to background checks, and they are correct. But is that not the government putting their nose into a citizen's desire to sell a piece of his property? That is a dangerous precedent. What's next? If I want to sell my car I have to rub a background check, at MY initiation and expense, to see if the buyer has a driver's license, insurance and no DUI in his past? I say that is too much government control. Wasn't there a long running war in Ireland about government control of that nature?

So yes. Parts of the USA are relatively safe, but there are a lot of cities where carrying a protective weapon is a very good idea. I have one with me at all times.

Apply this to music. You are leaving a gig. Some criminal knows you just got paid for your gig and you have a car full of gear worth a fair amount of money. You are a target. I refuse to be a target.

The standard thing here goes like this. The punks watch a guy load his car. As he gets close to the end, one of them approaches the guy and starts telling him how great he is and offers to buy him a beer. They go inside to get that beer, and the other punks break into the car and clean it out. As a result, it has become practice (at least where I live) that everybody loads their car at the same time, and the cars are never left alone. When I was "running point" watching the other guys load, I moved my gun from the inside waistband holster to where it was in clear sight. If somebody wants to test me to try and steal a guitar or a snare drum, well...

Different practices in different places.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes, while I appreciate every word of that post, and I always appreciate what you have to say, allow me to reply.

I too am of the older generation. I am 5 months from my 70th birthday. However, after working for years in IT, I embrace the technology at a far higher level than most in my age group. Truth is that most people I know that are my age fall into 2 camps. Those who fear technology (because - GASP - it would call for me to learn something new) and those who play the "Why, when I was young..." card.

What we do is a dialog with the audience.

When your option is having 50% of what you prefer or 100% of nothing, which holds more value? All you would be doing is setting up your own personal Street Jelly session with a crowd you invite by emailing your mailing list a Zoom invitation. That can interact with you through Zoom. You will play the same "Fever" for Big John as you do in a live setting. I also don't know how familiar you are with Zoom and Skype and the like. Or how familiar your audience is. (Because... Florida.) I had a Zoom call here a few weeks ago with 11 people on it. It was just to chat with a bunch of people who all know each other and used to hang out. 1 person declined saying "I don't have a webcam." I replied "Your laptop has a webcam built into it. You have sent me pictures from it. You also have a phone that can run Zoom. You are flat out lying to me and I don't appreciate that. If you just don't want to participate, if your friends aren't worth the bother to RUN AN APP, just say so, but do not lie to me. After all your whining about having to stay home and missing your friends, if you aren't reaching out to the friends you miss SOOOOOOOOO much you are a hypocrite and I don't think you belong in my life." And she is gone. That kind of two-faced BS is not welcomed here as it is negativity.

If you miss your audience and they miss you, those who understand Zoom rather than fear it would JUMP at the opportunity. And maybe some will actually, I don't know, learn and grow with the experience. Zoom couldn't be easier to use.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Here in New York State the DJs put most of the wedding bands out of business

When my nephew's kid got married they hired a DJ. I asked the kid "With a musician in good bands in your family, you hired a DJ?" His reply actually made sense. He said "I have heard your band and you guys are great, but this younger crowd will want to hear music you don't know and can't learn on the fly. A DJ will either have the CD or be able to download the song on the spot and fill every request." And as sad as it is to admit it, the little punk was right. We don't play that "whoop there it is" kind of music, nor will we ever. Plus the DJ cost him 1/4 of what a band would have cost.

It's sad to become my father and say this, but it is truly a different world.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When my daughter got married, THEY hired a disco to play after my mates played for their wedding dance. Hee hee, the floor was packed with dancers. My mates finished, the disco started and the place emptied within 35 minutes ROFL ROFL

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I think live performances will be back by the fall at least here in Florida.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Careful, friends. All discussion in this forum should be music-related. There is some veering into politics that will get the thread deleted.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanx Matt. You're right. My bad. I deleted my post.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200