Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user that just jumped on board a few months ago. I got the 2020 Audiophile version on sale from Sweetwater back in November. I've been getting my feet wet by trying to do a simple Christmas song Silver Bells in a country style.

I don't want any 7th's or anything like that in the song. I'm simply trying to form a song with straight A - D - E chords. No matter what style I choose (currently using "Swabbie autoharp folk waltz") BIAB is adding in what sounds like a 7th on some parts especially toward the end of the song and it doesn't work with a song like that. It's like it's forcing a blues feel on the song so to speak?

I've searched but found almost no info on this. I read an old post and someone suggested adjusting the natural settings. I did but it made no difference.

I mainly do acoustic country music so I'm kind of panicking that I can't get BIAB to simply play straight chords. smile Hopefully I'm overlooking something? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest way to fix this is...

1) right-click on a blank section of the chordsheet

2) from the menu select "Song Settings"

3) on the left side in the top quadrant, activate "Force song to simple arrangement"

That should do the job.

This setting forces BIAB to play the chords as written and not embellish them.

If you are still having issues, it would be because of "Natural Arrangement".

To deactivate this...

4) follow 1) and 2) above and enter Song Settings

5) on the right side of options, set "Natural Arrangements" to "Disable for this song"

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Noel. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I just tried the changes you suggested and I tried different styles and it didn't help.

I'm doing this in the key of A and I have the key signature set to A. The last verse does a key change to B although the actual key change begins with F# (The 5 in the progression). The transition looks like this (E for 2 bars at end of verse) then (F#... for a rest on the F# chord then the verse starts on B). I went in to bar settings and set the key signature change to F# and then tried B and that didn't help either.

I noticed it's only adding the erroneous notes after the key change. Everything before that while in the key of A is correct.

Then I transposed the song so it started in B and the key change was G# and it did the same thing. The first part of the song was ok until it got to the key change later. I did that thinking maybe the samples in the key of B were just that way but it's not the case because it plays correctly at the beginning when set to B.

I'm stumped.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Shane:

Can you try changing to a straight MIDI style like ZZWALTZ and see what happens?
Otherwise perhaps you can post your file here and someone can take a look at it.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Shane.

When you did the key change, did you set the new key?

Just in case you haven't discovered this yet...

To set the new key, click on the bar where the new key starts, press F5 and then set the new key. (You can also access this by right-clicking on the chordsheet and selecting "Bar Settings".)

By doing this you are telling BIAB to select chords that are friendly to the key.

After you've made the above change, you'll need to unfreeze any tracks and regenerate the song for the change to take effect.

Also, if you have any tracks on the Utility Tracks, these will need to be regenerated individually by right-clicking on each track and selecting "Track Actions".

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
key signature bar settings.JPG (24.71 KB, 326 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Yes, I set the key change in Bar settings (F5) and when I transposed the entire song I double checked the bar where the key change occurs. I always use F4 to regenerate whenever I make a change.

I don't see Utility Tracks anywhere. I'm running the 2020 version. When I search online the only info I can find regarding Utility Tracks is for the 2021 version.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, Shane. My mistake. I forgot that you had 2020 even though you mention it clearly in your original post.

Given that the song plays ok when set to key B at the start, and not ok when you have a section set to B, this might be a bug if the behaviour is consistent and reproducible.

Can you please let me know what style you are using and I'll set a chord sheet and see if I can get the problem to occur.

It would also be handy to know what chords you are using.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
Shane:

Can you try changing to a straight MIDI style like ZZWALTZ and see what happens?
Otherwise perhaps you can post your file here and someone can take a look at it.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

Hi Lloyd.

Loading the ZZWALTZ style worked. It sounds exactly like I want it to, except it's not the audiophile realtracks. cry

So this seems to be isolated to RealTracks.

Thank you!

Veteran
Veteran
Shane,

It's possible it's a chord mapping inconsistency. They arise from time to time. That doesn't fully explain why everything plays OK when you set the main key to B, though.

If you want, you can upload your SGU file to this thread and we can all give it a run through a few times to test it.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shane,

I got the same results as you and I have BIAB 2021.

Working with the file [Swabbie]...

If I generated it, in the key change region, B7 was nearly always played rather than B (despite all above song-based settings to disable Natural Arrangement and Force Simple Chords).

However, if I transposed the song to B, and the key sig. was set to B, the B chord was generated.

This is strange.

I have alerted the Development Team to this thread. They will read what's written and will test the files. So please let me know if my solution below works.

In the meantime, I have a potential solution for you that hopefully works on BIAB 2020...

If you go into "Options | Preferences" and select "Arrange", you'll see an option to set "Natural Arrangement" to "Never".

When I set that, and set Song Settings to "Force Simple Arrangement", the generation was ok. This option in "Arrange" is a Global Option and doing the above globally disables it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
natural arrangement global disable.JPG (42.89 KB, 303 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Shane:

I see what you mean about the 7ths.
You might try this and see how it sounds. (using the SWABBIE file)
- Copy only the chords from bar 53 at the key change to the end
- Open a "new" instance of BIAB
- Set the key to B
- Paste those chords to the new grid

See if that sounds the way you want for the last part of the song.
That might help figure out where BIAB is going wrong.
(I think you can use Copy/Paste in BIAB 2020, I forget!)

LLOYD S

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Shane,

I got the same results as you and I have BIAB 2021.

Working with the file [Swabbie]...

If I generated it, in the key change region, B7 was nearly always played rather than B (despite all above song-based settings to disable Natural Arrangement and Force Simple Chords).

However, if I transposed the song to B, and the key sig. was set to B, the B chord was generated.

This is strange.

I have alerted the Development Team to this thread. They will read what's written and will test the files. So please let me know if my solution below works.

In the meantime, I have a potential solution for you that hopefully works on BIAB 2020...

If you go into "Options | Preferences" and select "Arrange", you'll see an option to set "Natural Arrangement" to "Never".

When I set that, and set Song Settings to "Force Simple Arrangement", the generation was ok. This option in "Arrange" is a Global Option and doing the above globally disables it.

Regards,
Noel

Thank you Noel. Glad the problem could be repeated. I thought for a moment I was going insane. I've been trying to figure this out since late October.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is, will they put out a bug fix for the 2020 version. I just paid over $500 for this and I see the upgrade to 2021 is $200. I didn't even get 1 song out of it. LOL!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shane

Quote:
The only thing I'm concerned about now is, will they put out a bug fix for the 2020 version. I just paid over $500 for this and I see the upgrade to 2021 is $200. I didn't even get 1 song out of it. LOL!

If you purchased 2020 in November, and PG Music released 2021 on November 28th, you may be eligible for a complimentary 2021 upgrade. No guarantees, but you might consider contacting PG Music and seeking their advice. They have a reputation as being an excellent customer-focused company.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hi Shane

If you purchased 2020 in November, and PG Music released 2021 on November 28th, you may be eligible for a complimentary 2021 upgrade. No guarantees, but you might consider contacting PG Music and seeking their advice. They have a reputation as being an excellent customer-focused company.

Thanks. I just double checked my receipt and I bought it in the beginning of October so I doubt they'll do anything. But I'll give it a try.

I ran in to this with iZotope last year. They put Ozone 8 Advanced on sale at a ridiculously low price. Normally I wouldn't even consider such an expensive program. I even emailed them and asked if Ozone 9 Advanced was coming out soon and if so I'd pass because I didn't want to buy a product at the end of it's update/bug fix cycle. They said no so I bought O8A and 45 days later O9A came out. I was furious. I use it with Studio One Professional. I emailed them and they apologized and upgraded me for free to O9A so it's worth a shot but I doubt it. This is different because there is a physical cost involved in the HDD the Audiophile version comes on. Maybe I can offer to mail it to them so they can install the 2021 version and mail it back to me.

@Lloyd ... I have some time this afternoon. I'll try the copy/paste idea and let you know.

Thanks everyone.

Veteran
Veteran
Shane,

Did you try my suggestions about disabling the global setting for Natural Arrangements under "Options | Preferences | Arrange"? As mentioned, that worked for me.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Shane,

Did you try my suggestions about disabling the global setting for Natural Arrangements under "Options | Preferences | Arrange"? As mentioned, that worked for me.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel.

Yep, I tried that and it didn't work.

You can even go in and manually set each track to force it to Natural Arrangement and that didn't work either.

Thanks.

Edit: BTW, I contacted tech support and gave them a link to this thread. Hopefully they can work with me on getting me in to 2021 so they can put out a patch for this. *Fingers Crossed*. smile

Last edited by Shane_B.; 01/12/21 11:27 AM.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Shane:

I see what you mean about the 7ths.
You might try this and see how it sounds. (using the SWABBIE file)
- Copy only the chords from bar 53 at the key change to the end
- Open a "new" instance of BIAB
- Set the key to B
- Paste those chords to the new grid

See if that sounds the way you want for the last part of the song.
That might help figure out where BIAB is going wrong.
(I think you can use Copy/Paste in BIAB 2020, I forget!)

LLOYD S

Hi Lloyd. Sorry it took so long to reply. Been preoccupied with other things.

I tried that and it didn't work. No matter what combination I try of copying and pasting it always forces me to regenerate and then it overrides where I pasted. At this point I'm done. I'm not going to touch it again until they either put out a fix for the 2020 version, upgrade me for free to the 2021 version and fix that, or I get my money back from Sweetwater. All 3 of which I doubt at this point so I'm probably stuck with the worlds most expensive USB backup drive.

I'm not getting a response from support except 20 questions about where I bought it, providing serial, then providing receipt with all of my personal information on it. Once I did that, then silence. Getting a bit frustrated and having buyers remorse because as you know the Audiophile version is very expensive. I have terrible internet service where I live so I was sort of forced to go with a version that comes on HDD. Sorry, just venting a little. I'll try to remain positive going forward.

All the help here has been greatly appreciated. You guys have a great community here.

Thanks everyone.

Shane

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi Shane:

Sorry to hear of your woes. I know how frustrating technology can be,
especially when you're trying to do something fun like music.

I tried a bunch of different things with your 2 files,
like trying a few different styles, changing the key of the song to something like C
and then changing it back to the original to see if that helped.
I also tried changing the last chord before the key change to see if that made a difference.
Nothing seemed to help the SWABBIE file.

You might try to find a similar style you like and see if that helps.
Good luck and let us know if you make any progress.

LLOYD S

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Shane:

Nothing seemed to help the SWABBIE file.

You might try to find a similar style you like and see if that helps.
Good luck and let us know if you make any progress.

LLOYD S

Hi Lloyd,

I picked another style and started from scratch. This time I did the key change without a rest and it did the same thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed I hear back from support and this gets resolved one way or another.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
An off the wall idea -
Change style to a BLANK Style and repopulate it track by track with those from SWABBIE.
Audition each track as you add it - maybe its one RT thats the problem and is affecting others.
Does it still do it once you got it all done?
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200