Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Of course it is worth the money. It is free when you purchase BiaB!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Charlie, I have a question regarding frozen tracks, are not all tracks in RB actually “Frozen” since they don’t regenerate unless you specifically want to?

That's correct but that's not the frozen tracks of BIAB.

When a BIAB file is saved with frozen tracks and subsequently opened in RB, RB doesn't import the BIAB frozen tracks but generates a new version of that instrument. Obviously those frozen BIAB tracks can be saved and imported but unless one knows to do that, they get a new variation of the BIAB song project rather than an exact copy.

So to answer Bob's question why someone would return back to BIAB after moving their project to RB for further processing, not knowing that RB doesn't work with BIAB Multi Styles or BIAB frozen tracks would prompt at trip back to BIAB to correct those situations.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Expert
Expert
thanks Charlie - i understand - i think. most of the stuff i record is simple so multistyles don't really come into the picture. every time i've changed styles in BIAB at a particular bar during the song, the change has carried over to RB and that has been the sum total of my need for changes in BIAB.

and if i don't like part of a RealTrack i just regenerate that bit in RB. i never bother to freeze BIAB tracks because once i'm in RB i can do anything i like by regenerating and then saving as a seq file. or even gfenerate an alternative track and cut and paste whole sections. i know also that fx settings are not supposed to travel across to RB from BIAB but i edit them with the mixer in RB.

i used to use PowerTracks in the days of midi only and just made a midi file from BIAB that i opened in PT. no problems of regeneration there. but i still stick to the work flow i'm used to.

i realize i'm not exploiting the full capability of BIAB but the new RealTracks are my main reason for upgrading not the extra capabilities like utility tracks.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
just a query charlie - once you've gone back to BIAB to 'get it right' where do you go from there? surely not back to RB? won't the same problem arise?

or is it that people go to RB, realize they shouldn't have done, go back to BIAB with the extra tracks they've generated in RB (which you can only do now with the new utility tracks when you save your RB file as an sgu or mgu but presumably you can do that now without leaving BIAB anyway) and then to a DAW like Reaper?

RB seems a redundant step in the situation you describe. and if you've opened an mgu or sgu in RB to find it doesn't work the way you want why not go back to the original BIAB file you opened in RB?

i can't see anyone making the same 'mistake' of going to RB twice so an 'escape route' of saving to utility tracks seems unnecessary. in the situations you describe the obvious workflow is BIAB to DAW and maybe then use the BIAB plugin. or am i missing something else?.

merry christmas everybody!

Last edited by Bob Calver; 12/23/20 11:41 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
I think the difference is you and I move to RB before trying to get any 'final tracks' in BiaB.
Not everybody works like that.

I use BiaB to get the chords, possible style and song structure.
Then open in RB (like you) and get my final tracks there, where we have more control.

I have never tried to finish a song in Biab, and doubt I could at my current skill level with it.

That said, moving to RB and opening a nearly finished SGU file and seeing it regenerate it all would happen one time here.
Knowing to export it after that, or drag/drop, would be learned real quick-like.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< just a query charlie - once you've gone back to BIAB to 'get it right' where do you go from there? surely not back to RB? won't the same problem arise? >>

Actually moving projects is quick from BIAB to RB, so that's what you would do. Once you've opened a project in RB and found your frozen BIAB tracks did not transfer over, from that point on you normally compensate and export saved tracks to import into RB thereafter. The first time is a real letdown though but it's an easy task to return to BIAB and export the frozen tracks.

RealBand is not meant to replace BIAB nor is BIAB meant to replace RealBand. They both have their unique features and together although they are two different programs, they are one powerful tool. That being said, I'm of the opinion that some users aren't totally familiar with BIAB features that allow tracks to be more unique, complex, fuller and dynamic before they are moved over to a DAW and many things they are doing manually in their DAW, BIAB can do quickly, professionally and automatically saving them a lot of time and editing.

Going back to BIAB to correct issues or change a track to match within a project that's moved over to RB or another DAW is likely not that unusual. In my case, many times i've left a project for a few days and when I get back to it, the song doesn't sound nearly as full or exciting as I perceived it when I stopped work on it. Fresh ears do wonders showing warts that have been overlooked. wink

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< That said, moving to RB and opening a nearly finished SGU file and seeing it regenerate it all would happen one time here.
Knowing to export it after that, or drag/drop, would be learned real quick-like. >>

Lol, there you go.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
maybe someone can explain why after taking a BIAB song into RB with all the extra flexibility, extra tracks, all the regeneration possibilities - midi, midi supertracks and RTs, and easier editing without complicated workarounds RB offers , you might want to take it back into BIAB?
To share with a Band-in-a-Box for Mac user perhaps?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
Expert
no one size fits all! glad to hear BIAB and RB are working for everyone regardless of your workflow patterns.

my musical horizons are set by years of playing live with small folk groups or electric bands and to a large extent that's what i get with BIAB and RB with the opportunity to get the band members to play their part again if i don't like it.

as rharv says if you're used to finishing in RB - and those of us brought up on PowerTracks probably are - we know our way round that program much better than we do BIAB.

i'm looking forward to upgrading but will probably leave it to the last minute as patches are still coming through

RealBand
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
One thing I noticed with RealBand 64-bit 2021, is that the audio effects (compressor, distortion etc.) still only work for 16-bit tracks.

That's a bit disappointing when BIAB is now 24-bits internally, as we have to sample and edit at 16-bits in RealBand 2021.1

Hopefully, a future update can fix that. To be fair, as a retired developer myself, its a bit awkward to have duplicate effects for 16/24; some users will want to use 16 and some 24. Perhaps they decided to leave that thorny issue until after the Xmas rush.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
which audio effects are you referring to? 32 bit plugins won't work with a 64 bit host unless you use jbridge. i'm not sure what effects you mean - i thought the pgmusic built in fx had been upgraded to 64 bit.

maybe someone cleverer than me can say whether the bit depth of the audio affects the plugins that work. i thought it was the 32 or 64 bit nature of the host application.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Can't you use third party VST plugins?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
which audio effects are you referring to?

Bob,
I'm referring to the built in effects in RealBand, under the Edit | Audio Effects menu:

Compressor
Gate
Hum Filter

With a 24-bit track the Audio Effects pop up a message saying they only work for 16-bit tracks.

I might be doing something wrong, but the only solution I could find was switching back to 16-bit tracks.

Having sampled an acoustic guitar or vocal at 24-bit, a bit of compression will help....then you hit your head on the 16-bit wall!

-Paul

RealBand
Expert
Expert
if you press the fx button on the track can you use the plugins that come up? are you using the edit menu and choosing audio effects?

i would have thought the plugins that come up with the fx button should work. please try it and if they don't it's a bug that needs fixing

3rd party plugins should still work.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
saxgentleman67,

Assuming money is pretty tight, I would select the program update package for $49 US. That gets you the latest 32 and 64 bit Band-in-a-Box and RealBand programs, all the 32 and 64 bit varieties of the DAW plug-in and updates until the next (2022?) product release. I would also order a hard copy Band-in-a-Box user manual (about $15 US).

This will allow you to concentrate on learning all the program changes made since 2016, take advantage of the pitch, timing and harmony advances while using your existing content. Even without the additional content you will be busy learning for a long time.

As you learn to use what you purchased in 2021, save a little each month so you can purchase the UltraPAK next release at the 2021 to next release upgrade price.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
If you already have BIAB 2020, just get the PlusPak for $99

It comes with the new version of BIAB and RB, plus ONLY the new real tracks and styles. Plus some bonus styles.

Some of the more expensive packages include ALL of the previous styles and realtracks... but if you already have them, why pay more to buy them again?

I agree that I don't want to pay for all the RealTracks that I have already. However, I'm on BIAB 2019. Would I still be looking at the PlusPak?

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
If you already have BIAB 2020, just get the PlusPak for $99

It comes with the new version of BIAB and RB, plus ONLY the new real tracks and styles. Plus some bonus styles.

Some of the more expensive packages include ALL of the previous styles and realtracks... but if you already have them, why pay more to buy them again?

I agree that I don't want to pay for all the RealTracks that I have already. However, I'm on BIAB 2019. Would I still be looking at the PlusPak?
No. The PlusPAK only adds 2021 content. You have 2019 so if you purchased the PlusPAK you would be lacking content added in 2020.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
So, that clearly begs the question: what's the workflow that one should use to avoid going back and forth between BIAB and RB? How does one make up for the fact that RB doesn't do anything with Multistyles and won't import frozen tracks?

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are companion products, they each are capable of things the other is not. The easiest way to account for those differences is to do what you can first in Band-in-a-Box, render the tracks to waves, then move both the SGU file and rendered waves to RealBand.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always believed the main benefit of importing a SGU file to RealBand is you have access to the chord sheet to (1) see where your at in the song and (2) in case you want to generate additional tracks.

It looks like the second reason may not apply with multistyles.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
just thinking out loud but what happens if...........

you freeze tracks in BIAB
open the file in RB - tempo and bars should match
delete all the regenerated tracks (which would leave the chord sheet and part markers i think!)
re-open BIAB and select DAW mode and drag and drop the frozen tracks (and multi style changes) into the RB song...........

would that work? you'd still have to add reverb etc to the tracks in RB but would that be a simple workaround?

can't see any need to go back to BIAB if it works

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195