Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
PowerTracks Pro Audio
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello wonderful forum users! you are always a great bunch to ask my questions to..because you have great answers:) today I am running a sequence in ptw and transmitting a midi signal out to mainstage. Id like to automatically have it select my preformance patches so I can be hands free. for some reason even though I have the right bank number and patch number mainstage isnt hearing it. there's got to be a way to make this work. Thanks in advance laugh

...........Jeff......
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, I'm not a MainStage user. But In RB, I can do this by embedding a Program Change command within the midi events on a track by track basis. That is for example, on track 5, which I have set to go to my Motif Rack, I originally assign a piano patch, later in the track, by using a program change command, I can change the patch to strings. Is this what you are trying to do?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
PowerTracks Pro Audio
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes thanks. this is what Im trying to do. I guess Ill need to further explore to discover exactly what program changes are like for mainstage. they have a program & a bank... seems simple enough, and it says it is recieving the messages....but no patch changes are happening.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Check into some midi specs or BIAB/RB user guides and read about MSB and LSB (Most Significant Byte and Least Significant Byte). These can be designated by using Change Control 0 (CC0) for MSB and Change Control 32 (CC32) for LSB. These 2 together select the patch bank on your synth.

Then you use a Program Change number to select a particular patch on that bank.

As an example, the 3rd bank out of 10 patch banks on my Motif Rack is designated as MSB=63, LSB=2. You find this in the midi data list documents for your particular synth.

Then if I add Program Change=4 (PC=4), I've selected the 4th patch from that bank.

So the complete instructions in the midi data events log for a particular track in your DAW to change to this patch would show the following 3 lines (each listed separately):

CC0=63
CC32=2
PC=4

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
In PTW you can use the Classic Tracks window to make it easier to use Bank/LSB settings ...

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll figure this out yet:)

...........Jeff......
PowerTracks Pro Audio
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hard to know how many total banks there are since I can add as many as I want in mainstage. isnt the standard amount of midi banks 128?

...........Jeff......
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
There may be some confusion between "banks" and "sounds" per bank. From the MIDI spec:

Controller number zero (with 32 as the LSB) is defined as the bank select. The bank select function is used in some synthesizers in conjunction with the MIDI Program Change message to expand the number of different instrument sounds which may be specified (the Program Change message alone allows selection of one of 128 possible program numbers). The additional sounds are selected by preceding the Program Change message with a Control Change message which specifies a new value for Controller zero and Controller 32, allowing 16,384 banks of 128 sounds each.

Jeff, as I mentioned, I am not familiar with Mainstage, but in looking over their write-ups the following may steer you in the right direction:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13553?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Jeff

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, you got me thinking about this and I went back and read you original post. I guess my question is: are you trying to select the patches from within PTW or from within Mainstage?

Again I'm not a Mainstage user, but from reading over their literature, it seems that perhaps you can select patches but not banks in Mainstage. As I can't test this, I might be wrong about that though.

Nonetheless, it might be easier to do the bank and patch selection from within PTW and send the info over to Mainstage.

Jeff

PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Originally Posted By: jeffgee
Hello wonderful forum users! you are always a great bunch to ask my questions to..because you have great answers:) today I am running a sequence in ptw and transmitting a midi signal out to mainstage. Id like to automatically have it select my preformance patches so I can be hands free. for some reason even though I have the right bank number and patch number mainstage isnt hearing it. there's got to be a way to make this work. Thanks in advance laugh

I do this all the time. Simultaneously playing your sequence and sending MIDI data to an external port is not an automatic/default operation. Assuming that you have the correct ports set for output and your MIDI data is actually being transmitted and you have your capable receiving device set for one MIDI channel, pardon the silly question: Exactly what stage unit are you trying to control?

Paj
8^?

Last edited by Paj; 09/22/15 08:13 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
in the MIDI setup dialog form, is the box checked for
[x] USE VSTi/DXi synth?

in my experience with RB when trying to send MIDI to an external device, if you have Midi output redirected to a soft synth, the external device won't ever receive the commands you're sending.

Even if you specifically send it to the device via the right click menu, it won't work if the box is checked in the MIDI dialog box

If you need to control external devices with MIDI *AND* use soft synths, you should uncheck the aforementioned box in the MIDI dialog, and define the soft synths individually in the tracks right click menu.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
"If you need to control external devices with MIDI *AND* use soft synths, you should uncheck the aforementioned box in the MIDI dialog, and define the soft synths individually in the tracks right click menu. "

Exactly.
You have to assign a default device in MIDI Drivers area, but then you can assign synths per track using 'Right-Click - Port'.

Once that aforementioned box is ticked, it doesn't become the default and allow other drivers. It Reroutes 'ALL' MIDI to the DXI synth.
IMO they should include the word 'ALL' in that check box description. One A and a couple L's shouldn't cost much to implement.
smile
At least that's been my experience.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
jeffgee Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Wow sorry I didn't respond to this...I didn't get online here for a long time...I was trying to control MainStage....to have it change my synths and guitar patches for me...Ive long since found another method...but thanks for responding:)

...........Jeff......
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200