Go To
User Showcase
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi all!

Tina Jay here again with another - this time slower tempo - attempt at a rock song using BIAB!

As with the first one, I look forward to your input.
The link: https://soundcloud.com/christina-juppe/i-will-break-your-fall/s-0afMKfvqS0k

It's called "I will break your fall"

Style is _CROK12H.STY (Slow Classic Rock w/ Held 12 Str)
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 2534:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, HeldChords
RealTracks in style: 803:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev 065
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
I added RT 875 Electric Rhythm Guitar

Lead vocal plus 2 harmonies. Again - no tuning or MIDI tracks.

Used Izotope Nectar 3 Plus and Ozone 9 for presets. MAAT DR Offline Meter as before.

Lyrics:

I will break your fall
Tina Jay

Verse 1
I wrote this song for you – when the world’s gone mad
I wrote this song for you to see it’s not that bad
Play a tune and sing – forget the things you never had….

Verse 2
I wrote this song for you – if you’re feeling small
I wrote this song for you to make you stand up tall
If you think you lack – know that you can have it all…..
I will break your fall.

Chorus 1
Many roads – seem closed – when I’m on my way
Many times – the dark obscures the light
Still I’m rea - ching out – ‘cause I’ve got things to say
Why don’t you join my voice tonight

Instrumental/humming (two verse length)

Chorus 2
Feeling like – an eagle in a golden cage
Long to spread – my wings and soar above
Crashing through – the bars to fly into an age
Where everyone knows how to love

Verse 2

I wrote this song for you – if you’re feeling small
I wrote this song for you to make you stand up tall
If you think you lack – know you can have it all…..
I will break your fall.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Tina,
I think this is excellent, especially considering that you are only starting out with BIAB!
Vocals, mix are very good. Vocals are a little too bright for my taste (HF) and I think main voice should be closer to the center, but I have average ears, so just an opinion of a casual listener. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Tina !

Welcome to the forum !
I was not able to listen
to your first song but
the most important thing
is to just keep writing
and experimenting !
There´s not many tools
that make songwriting
as easy as Band In A Box
and you are already
far into it !
Keep up the good work !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song, loved it all except maybe the main vocal panning. But it didn't stop me from enjoying this. Well done!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Tina,

that's a really good one - liked the vocals a lot and the whole song really sounds great.

Chrees,

Stefan

User Showcase
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hey Rustyspoon,
I totally get what you are saying. Vocals I changed partly bc in my first song the feedback was that they were not prominent enough/didn't give them enough space.
I also understand re: vocals not quite in the centre...that was a deliberate decision to balance out with the harmonies. But as you say: everyone has different preferences.

Question: what's HF? :-)

Tina

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, Tina. Welcome to the forum. What a wonderful write, and I love the harmony. Really good use of BiaB. Are you really new to it? You're definitely not new to creating catchy music. Great voice, although I, too, feel the vocal it a bit too out front. Then again, when it's that good, why not?

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hey Marty!

Thank you for the compliments and comments!
I promise - I am new to this! Right now this "song business" is an ongoing discovery for me. Maybe I am a "natural" at composing - who knows? :-) I must say thought that - since I don't read music and know only a little bit about music theory - discovering BIAB has been amazing and I am exploring it with gusto. On the Pro version at the moment but I guess the time will come when I want to upgrade...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Tina,

This is a good job especially for your 2nd attempt. If I could give any constructive opinion's they would be that the vocal seems too hot and where are the drums? I do occasionally hear a drum fill, but over-all the drums are buried way too far in the background... Just my $.02

Keep working, It's a process. smile

Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tina,
Wonderful song.
Put together very nicely.

I get the "Bond" vibe....well done.
That's no small feat.

I really like it, you'll be a hit maker soon.

I think you could take it to the next level with just a little focus on the EQ.
Perhaps cutting the bass a bit with a high pass filter, maybe a little dip in the low mids and just a dash of boost at the top end to add a little sparkle.

I hope when you make it big, you'll remember us wannabes.

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 01/19/21 05:22 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice one Tina. Compared to your first one (which was pretty good for a first) this one is a great improvement. Good arangement and composition, and the vocals are very nice. If this is an example of your learning curve your next one will be a number one hit! smile

Chris
User Showcase
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Ha ha ha Captain Moto...your recommendations made me smile...sound like a recipe.

TBH...I don't fully understand how to implement this but I will have a jolly good go. :-)

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Tina.
Very well done, especially for someone new to BIAB. You have a good voice and I look forward to hearing more of your songs.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome!

Fine lyric, melody and vocals! And the arrangement too.

Early on a lot of folks, including us, tend to mix drums low and also go through a panning and general volume shaping experimental period. So getting that kick and snare popping will really help drive the tune.

I'd suggest using a reference song while mixing (either standalone or via Ozone) -- one that fits your style and, of course, that you like. We found that approach during our earlier mix days to be very helpful.

Your talents are very apparent and we look forward to more of your productions!

J&B

PS This is a great community and we hope you spend the time to check out some of the songs that are being posted here. Have a great and safe new year.

PPS Did you intend for the song to be private?

User Showcase
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thank you for your pointers. I will investigate the reference song function.

Yes, I did intend the song to be private to begin with - but have now changed my three songs so far to public.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked this.

I could hear the Bond feel you said you were going for. It sounded pretty good considering that you're new to BB, once you grab hold of it, I think you're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

The thing that grabbed my attention right off was the off center main vocal. That's almost never a good idea. It's better to put the main vocal dead center. A little thing that I like to do is record 2 more main vox tracks and drop the levels to barely audible and pan them 100% left and right. It thickens and adds a wide feel. Drop harmonies in both sides at maybe 50% and down a few db to taste.

All in all... A good job. I've seen a few of your songs in the forum and I will be dropping in to listen closer in the future.

Good job!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195