Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
C'mon, Ian. That's way too logical. grin

Good way to isolate what's happening.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Try this and let BIAB do the transition for you by using the Song Medley Feature.

Tools| Song Form| Medley Maker

To make this work, you will need to save up to three versions of your project because Medley Maker will not start a Medley in 3/4 time So... for saved version 1

Select any RealStyle that's swing 8, 4/4 at 90 bpm and key signature A
Save As - Silver Bells_4-4

From the original version of Silver Bells that you posted on line,
Save As - Silver bells_A

The third song you'll likely have to experiment to make it sound to satisfaction because there are different ways to program the Medley Maker.

The options I see are:

Select the Silver Bells_A again and set your beginning bar at 53 and see if the Medley Maker plays the proper B
Listen to the song in both keys, A and B and compare the results
or
Save As Silver Bells_B after transposing the original Chord Chart to B and change Bars 53 forward without the modulation

_____
For the first song, select beginning bar at 1 for two bars and no transition
The second song is Silver Bells_A beginning at bar 1 for 51 bars and 1 transition
The third song is Silver Bells _B in the key of B beginning at bar 53 for 36 bars and no transition
______

Once you generate the Medley Maker, it will create a new Chord Sheet composed of the Three songs as you've programed them. Bar 54 should be your 1 bar transition.
Edit the transition bar to the held F3...

In testing, I also edited the 4/4 first two Bars to having only an A. Chord and only the drums generated to make editing out those two bars easier.
I've included a screen shot of my Medley Maker settings.

_____

Sometimes you can achieve the desired results and have BIAB perform with different songs (or different versions and sections of the same song wink ) something BIAB can't accomplish within a single project. I hope this helps you get the results you're looking for even though you may have to experiment a bit. Good luck.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2021-01-18 060840.png (47.18 KB, 276 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I appreciate the input and I will try the things Ian and Charlie suggested.

That said, I simply can't believe that a program designed to generate music based on the chords you enter has a hard time not applying 7th's when you ask it to. If I enter A - D - E, I expect A - D - E, not A - D7 - E9. Even when forced to ignore 7th's (that were never entered in the first place) it still adds it.

The issue isn't the SWABBIE style. It's doing it with every style I have tried with the exception of straight midi. But I didn't pay $500 dollars to generate terrible sounding generic midi ...

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Shane_B.
...If I enter A - D - E, I expect A - D - E, not A - D7 - E9. Even when forced to ignore 7th's (that were never entered in the first place) it still adds it.

The issue isn't the SWABBIE style. It's doing it with every style I have tried with the exception of straight midi. But I didn't pay $500 dollars to generate terrible sounding generic midi ...

I hear your frustration, and I'm not sure if you tried this setting (I'm also not sure how well this works with RealTracks). Page 473 of the manual states:
’Jazz Down’ The chords
This will “Jazz Down” the chords by changing chords with 7ths (e.g. C7) to triads (e.g. C) and 9ths and 13ths to 7th chords. Song embellishment is turned off. Press [OK – Jazz Down] to proceed

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-01-19_7-43-20.jpg (161.42 KB, 241 downloads)
Last edited by VideoTrack; 01/18/21 10:51 AM.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I hear your frustration, and I'm not sure if you tried this setting (I'm also not sure how well this works with RealTracks). Page 473 of the manual states: ’Jazz Down’ The chords This will “Jazz Down” the chords by changing chords with 7ths (e.g. C7) to triads (e.g. C) and 9ths and 13ths to 7th chords. Song embellishment is turned off. Press [OK – Jazz Down] to proceed

I just tried it and it really confused BiaB. It made it worse. fwiw, I posted the files I'm working with in an earlier post in this thread. Anyone can download them and try the suggestions here and verify it's not just on my system.

Thanks.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Just an update. Still no word from support. Looks like I'm SOL.

I see I can deactivate my license. If I do that can I sell it to someone else who does a different style that wouldn't run in to this so I can cut my losses?

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if Notes Norton or anyone who works with Styles can help here? I haven't done it, but don't the styles get written with C7 as the 'mask', and can that mask omit the seventh?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Shane,

The reason that this is happening is a combination of these two things (A) Band-in-a-Box generates the file based on the original key of your song. (B) RealTracks artists play what is natural for them to play for a chord in that style of music, so seeing a B chord in the key of A, many RealTracks will play the b7.

It would definitely be a desirable feature for it to be able to follow key changes within the song for RT generation. Another useful feature would be an F5 bar setting to treat major/minor as I chord and/or the ability to force the chord to a triad. These features currently aren't present.

One solution that you might find acceptable is to change your B chord to "B2" or Badd2, and that would force it to not play the 7.

If you don't like the B2 chord, then a slightly more complicated solution is to:
1. Set your song to Key 1 and generate. Freeze track and mute it during Key 2.
2. Set your song to Key 2, add the RT to a second track, and generate. Mute it during Key 1.

This would work best if there is only one or two RT's that are playing the b7, since you'll need an extra track for each of them.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Hi Shane,

The reason that this is happening is a combination of these two things (A) Band-in-a-Box generates the file based on the original key of your song. (B) RealTracks artists play what is natural for them to play for a chord in that style of music, so seeing a B chord in the key of A, many RealTracks will play the b7.

It would definitely be a desirable feature for it to be able to follow key changes within the song for RT generation. Another useful feature would be an F5 bar setting to treat major/minor as I chord and/or the ability to force the chord to a triad. These features currently aren't present.

One solution that you might find acceptable is to change your B chord to "B2" or Badd2, and that would force it to not play the 7.

If you don't like the B2 chord, then a slightly more complicated solution is to:
1. Set your song to Key 1 and generate. Freeze track and mute it during Key 2.
2. Set your song to Key 2, add the RT to a second track, and generate. Mute it during Key 1.

This would work best if there is only one or two RT's that are playing the b7, since you'll need an extra track for each of them.

I think for Andrew's slightly more complicated solution to work correctly you will also need to generate Key 2 (the B Chord) without the modulation applied since you're looking for the B and not the C# the modulation in Key 1 produces when transposed up to B.

<< This would work best if there is only one or two RT's that are playing the b7, since you'll need an extra track for each of them. >>

For this issue, I suggest using the unused Melodist Track and use the RealTrack Medley Feature to create a track to be used with Andrew's procedure as the Key 2 unmuted track. This allows all four instruments to play simultaneously and only occupies a single additional track while applying the Unmute at once. You can match the panning of the each instrument and also adjust each instruments level if necessary. In the BIAB Mixer, I reduced the Reverb level to balance between the Bass with no reverb and the two guitars that did have reverb.

I've attached a screen shot showing a mockup. If you open the image in another tab, you can zoom in for clarity.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 075301.png (287.19 KB, 171 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Shane_B.
I appreciate the input and I will try the things Ian and Charlie suggested.

That said, I simply can't believe that a program designed to generate music based on the chords you enter has a hard time not applying 7th's when you ask it to. If I enter A - D - E, I expect A - D - E, not A - D7 - E9. Even when forced to ignore 7th's (that were never entered in the first place) it still adds it.

MIDI can sound fantastic. It is what generates the audio not midi's fault. MIDI is used everyday in productions heard around the world. RealTracks are just that, real music played by real people, what is available is what was played by these real people, if they didn't play straight major chords in the track that is being used, it will never be able to play a straight major chord with no 7ths, 9ths etc.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Make sure when you are doing some of this troubleshooting and copying and pasting etc. that you freeze the tracks that are right. There was an earlier post that had success generating it in A, then changing it to B and generating it again and getting the right sounding chords. If you do this, freeze them and save them naming them so you can keep track of what you are doing, then put it all together in one song with the frozen key of B parts where you want them. Realband can simplify this process if you export all the tracks to realband and then just do some editing to get it the way you want it. Just takes some time is all. You can save as many copies of the song as you need to get what you want, just by renaming them.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Veteran
Veteran
Use of frozen tracks is a good technique.

You can't say 'never' because although that's true now in BIAB, Melodyne can remove the sevenths from audio. It's just tedious work.

Expert
Expert
How finished is your track if you forget the key change and stay in A for the bit you want to go into the key of B? is the structure complete?

I think one workaround that would work is to stay in A for the final chorus in BIAB and then open the file in RB. That way you will have all the chords and part markers.

Then select all tracks for the last bit where you want the key change except drums and pitch transpose 2 semitones up. I'm not sure but if you re-interpret the chords you might well get the chords in the new key. As the tracks won't regenerate you won't get 7ths.

I know you'll lose any frozen tracks as they would regenerate in RB (but not with 7ths!) but you can always export them from BIAB as wav files and pitch transpose the ends.

Regardless of the method you use it won't be ideal.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Use of frozen tracks is a good technique.

You can't say 'never' because although that's true now in BIAB, Melodyne can remove the sevenths from audio. It's just tedious work.

Never might have been too strong. But it appears for the tracks that he is using whoever played it used 7ths when they didn't "need" too so there may not be a plain old major chord to be found.

Thanks!

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Hi Shane,

So that must mean that changing the Key at a certain measure is broken too because it is a function of BiaB and I went in and adjusted it where the key changes and it had no effect.

I also tried the B2 chord like you said and unless I change every single one to a 2 they still play the 7th. Also, it happens with all styles that you try, not some, so it doesn't have anything to do with the samples used, it's how BiaB is manipulating them. There is something broken in regard to doing a key change with a rest using Real Tracks.

I still haven't heard back from tech support. Once I provided all the info they asked for it's been total silence. I appreciate the help here, but I paid a lot of money to use the Real Tracks and they don't work right no matter how I try to trick the program and I can't get any reply from support. I feel like I've been taken.

At this point I just want a refund because it's never going to work right. So please feel free to look up all my personal info in your system, tech support has it now, and contact me privately about a refund. And again, don't take my word for it. The songs are here for download, it takes 20 seconds for anyone to verify what I'm saying and to prove all the fixes people are suggesting don't work.

Shane

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Just a quick post to say I am also not fond of Dominant 7th chords
I still use midi styles quite a lot so it's a pain so many demo songs use these kinds of chords, often several different ones in a given song
this is simply wrong for songs not in the Blues/Jazz vein
I would like a fully active "Jazz Down" the chords edit function
It's too much work to edit the 7th and derived chords when one tries to use a pop style

Last edited by Bernard Rasson; 01/31/21 03:04 AM.

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Veteran
Veteran
Bernard,

Reasonable points.

perhaps cosider placing your request in the Wishlist Section. The program developers may have a better opportunity to see and review it there.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I fully agree with you on this issue, Shane
"embellisment" is a PITA when not desired

I don't know what kind of music you are into
as for myself I am into pop/rock of many, many artists

I have read hundreds of songs in songbooks when I played the guitar

David Bowie is one of the only artists I can think of that "gets it right" everytime when is is using special chords
it never sounds "jazzy", it justs sounds like him

best regards,
Bernard

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Thank you so much
I will put it there too
kind regards,
Bernard

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V
BiAB should fix this problem. Not all musicians favor Jazz styles in their music.

WIN11 OS build 23H2, 16MB, 1TG SSD.
BIAB2024, build 1109, MegaPaK
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195