Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#63782 03/05/10 07:47 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
OP Offline
G
I've been playing with this BIAB 2009 software for a couple of weeks now. I basically like it but certain things are driving me nuts. During chord entry, I'll sometimes hit a wrong key or click in the wrong spot by accident. To correct my error, I'll try the "undo" under the Edit menu but then I'll end up with something really crazy. Right now I've got a gray bar in the middle of my song. There are no bar numbers in this gray bar, so I don't know what it is. I can't seem to get rid of it. Very frustrating.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Takes time to learn how to use Band in a Box. Well worth it.

In this instance, you can change a single global setting to get rid of the "gray bar" -- which is more than likely due to the "new line every part marker" feature.

Prefs -> Display and then look down at the next to the bottom line in the little Display controls window and UNcheck, "New line for every section (part marker)..."

--Mac

G
OP Offline
G
Mac,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, changing that setting did not remove this mysterious gray bar. It removed the narrow gray bars that separate sections, but this bar is something else. Its the same height as the measures.

Expert
Expert
Hi gadabout

This could be what you are looking for -

Highlight the "gray" bar > go to Edit along the top > on the dropdown select "Delete Bar(s)" and leave it as 1 for one bar or whatever number of gray bars you want to get rid of and hit OK

If this what you want it to do then Save it or slightly rename it to save as another and preserve the original

In the same dropdown you can also Insert bars

Brian

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Veteran
Veteran
Hi gadabout,

Something that occurred to me is that it might be a screen-redraw problem. Try going to notation window and then back to the chord window. You can toggle between these two windows by clicking the 1/8th note button located in the middle of the screen immediately above the chord display.

Also, have you checked your graphics card manufacturer to see if there is a new version of driver? Some people on here have found that a newer graphics driver helps solve some problems.

Lastly, check the update version that you have (Help >> About Band In A Box). The update-version will be given in parentheses following the year-version. According the the support page, the most up-to-date update is #287 (found here).

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 03/06/10 03:14 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert

This is not a Preferences or a Part Marker issue.

I have had the same and similar experiences as the original poster and have documented some of them on this forum.

Undo, deletes and scrolling are examples of the actions that trigger the behavior.

There is a BiaB problem with the Chord Sheet and I hope PGM recognizes that and is working on fixing it.

Last edited by FirstBassman; 03/06/10 11:43 AM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If anybody can post a screeshot of exactly what they are seeing when this happens to them, it would be good.

I haven't experienced anything like that here. At least, not yet. Might be a system or other tweak or something, making this only happen to certain folks.

--Mac

G
OP Offline
G
Here is a screenshot. I agree with FirstBassman, by the way. This seems to be a software issue. You can see the gray bar in question between measures 36 and 37.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Great job with the pic, thanks. Picture says the proverbial thousand words.

I see that your problem is inside a TAG ending. (That was not mentioned in this thread so far...).

*Did you change the length of the TAG ending after the first time you invoked it to make it longer than the original length? --This could be a bug, or something happening to resources somewhere, or perhaps even an improper setting in the TAG Ending window as to number of bars for tag, start of tag, etc.

*Every once in a while, I've had a BiaB song file get corrupted from something or other, the only true solve for a corrupted songfile I know is to hit the New button and re-enter the entire thing from scratch, saving under new name or overwriting the original name. Printing out the sheet first can really speed up the re-entering time, something else I do when I suspect this problem and have to re-enter a BB song.

Yes, it may even be some sort of program bug, not ruling that out entirely at all. These things can prove to be elusive sometimes. Happens *every* time to you, development can't duplicate, that sort of thing. If you re-enter the song as a New file in entirety and the same issue comes right back to haunt, that would help nail it down as a "proper" bug in the coding rather than some rogue setting, something perhaps in the entering of the tag, etc. These things can get rather complicated rather quickly in such a feature-laden program. Not an apology, nor a fanboy attitude here, just the facts as I see 'em.

--Mac

G
OP Offline
G
Quote:

*Did you change the length of the TAG ending after the first time you invoked it to make it longer than the original length? --This could be a bug, or something happening to resources somewhere, or perhaps even an improper setting in the TAG Ending window as to number of bars for tag, start of tag, etc.

Sure, I probably changed the length of the tag ending. There is no reason why that should corrupt the file.

I was just working on a different file and started getting similar "gray bar behavior" after awhile. Again, it was in the tag ending.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
No, it shouldn't happen, of course not.

Just trying to help get to the bottom of things, for if this is a bug that development can fix in an update, they will need all the most concise info on how to cause that bug in order to squash it. I've been around this forum a long time and have learned that we can either do that or let a bug go un-squashed for way too long.

So if development finds out that one must create a TAG, then extend the TAG in order to get this behavior to exhibit, then we are closer to a solve. That's all.

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Please email the song to beta@pgmusic.com , and we can hopefully duplicate the issue.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Hi gadabout

Quote:

I'll sometimes hit a wrong key or click in the wrong spot by accident.

Because you say that you made the above mistakes did you try my remedy in my post because I have only come across this once and that was with an imported file it has never happened here with my own input - it should have showed up any software fault

Try to delete the four bars as described and Save before Play to prevent it from re-occuring
Brian

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
G
OP Offline
G
Jazzman,

I tried your suggestion. Actually that was probably one of the first things I tried when hacking around and trying to fix it myself. Unfortunately, the gray bar still remains after trying this.

I emailed Peter a copy of the file, so hopefully we will be able to find out what's going on here.

Expert
Expert
Hi gadabout,

Pleased to hear that you tried it earlier - did the deletion remove the 4 bars if it did and should - did you then Save the altered song before you tried to play it again - this is very important

I have found the song on a disk I had the same problem with and did the deletion and Save and the problem is solved here

Brian

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
G
OP Offline
G
Brian,

Yes, the deletion removed the bars that I requested and yes, I did save it. The gray bar seems to have no effect on what gets played. It's only visual.

Expert
Expert
Hi gadabout (and Peter),

After not seeing your problem I have actually managed to recreate the problem and making the four gray bars appear

I tried to force the issue by making "mistakes" and the one thing that made it happen was by hitting a song in the song picker window twice quickly and causing a glitch before the first one had loaded properly - i.e operator error

I simply reloaded the song correctly and of course the saved proper version was back without the four gray bars
Brian

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195