You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#63782 - 03/05/10 09:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Quirky interface woes
gadabout Offline

I've been playing with this BIAB 2009 software for a couple of weeks now. I basically like it but certain things are driving me nuts. During chord entry, I'll sometimes hit a wrong key or click in the wrong spot by accident. To correct my error, I'll try the "undo" under the Edit menu but then I'll end up with something really crazy. Right now I've got a gray bar in the middle of my song. There are no bar numbers in this gray bar, so I don't know what it is. I can't seem to get rid of it. Very frustrating.

#63783 - 03/05/10 10:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Mac Offline
Veteran

Takes time to learn how to use Band in a Box. Well worth it.

In this instance, you can change a single global setting to get rid of the "gray bar" -- which is more than likely due to the "new line every part marker" feature.

Prefs -> Display and then look down at the next to the bottom line in the little Display controls window and UNcheck, "New line for every section (part marker)..."

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#63784 - 03/05/10 11:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Mac]
gadabout Offline

Mac,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, changing that setting did not remove this mysterious gray bar. It removed the narrow gray bars that separate sections, but this bar is something else. Its the same height as the measures.

#63785 - 03/06/10 03:40 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Loc: UK
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi gadabout

This could be what you are looking for -

Highlight the "gray" bar > go to Edit along the top > on the dropdown select "Delete Bar(s)" and leave it as 1 for one bar or whatever number of gray bars you want to get rid of and hit OK

If this what you want it to do then Save it or slightly rename it to save as another and preserve the original

In the same dropdown you can also Insert bars

Brian

#63786 - 03/06/10 05:06 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi gadabout,

Something that occurred to me is that it might be a screen-redraw problem. Try going to notation window and then back to the chord window. You can toggle between these two windows by clicking the 1/8th note button located in the middle of the screen immediately above the chord display.

Also, have you checked your graphics card manufacturer to see if there is a new version of driver? Some people on here have found that a newer graphics driver helps solve some problems.

Lastly, check the update version that you have (Help >> About Band In A Box). The update-version will be given in parentheses following the year-version. According the the support page, the most up-to-date update is #287 (found here).

Regards,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (03/06/10 05:14 AM)

#63787 - 03/06/10 01:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Virginia
FirstBassman Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia

This is not a Preferences or a Part Marker issue.

I have had the same and similar experiences as the original poster and have documented some of them on this forum.

Undo, deletes and scrolling are examples of the actions that trigger the behavior.

There is a BiaB problem with the Chord Sheet and I hope PGM recognizes that and is working on fixing it.

Edited by FirstBassman (03/06/10 01:43 PM)

#63788 - 03/06/10 04:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: FirstBassman]
Mac Offline
Veteran

If anybody can post a screeshot of exactly what they are seeing when this happens to them, it would be good.

I haven't experienced anything like that here. At least, not yet. Might be a system or other tweak or something, making this only happen to certain folks.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#63789 - 03/06/10 06:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Mac]
gadabout Offline

Here is a screenshot. I agree with FirstBassman, by the way. This seems to be a software issue. You can see the gray bar in question between measures 36 and 37.

#63790 - 03/06/10 08:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Great job with the pic, thanks. Picture says the proverbial thousand words.

I see that your problem is inside a TAG ending. (That was not mentioned in this thread so far...).

*Did you change the length of the TAG ending after the first time you invoked it to make it longer than the original length? --This could be a bug, or something happening to resources somewhere, or perhaps even an improper setting in the TAG Ending window as to number of bars for tag, start of tag, etc.

*Every once in a while, I've had a BiaB song file get corrupted from something or other, the only true solve for a corrupted songfile I know is to hit the New button and re-enter the entire thing from scratch, saving under new name or overwriting the original name. Printing out the sheet first can really speed up the re-entering time, something else I do when I suspect this problem and have to re-enter a BB song.

Yes, it may even be some sort of program bug, not ruling that out entirely at all. These things can prove to be elusive sometimes. Happens *every* time to you, development can't duplicate, that sort of thing. If you re-enter the song as a New file in entirety and the same issue comes right back to haunt, that would help nail it down as a "proper" bug in the coding rather than some rogue setting, something perhaps in the entering of the tag, etc. These things can get rather complicated rather quickly in such a feature-laden program. Not an apology, nor a fanboy attitude here, just the facts as I see 'em.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#63791 - 03/06/10 08:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Mac]
gadabout Offline

Quote:

*Did you change the length of the TAG ending after the first time you invoked it to make it longer than the original length? --This could be a bug, or something happening to resources somewhere, or perhaps even an improper setting in the TAG Ending window as to number of bars for tag, start of tag, etc.

Sure, I probably changed the length of the tag ending. There is no reason why that should corrupt the file.

I was just working on a different file and started getting similar "gray bar behavior" after awhile. Again, it was in the tag ending.

#63792 - 03/06/10 09:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Mac Offline
Veteran

No, it shouldn't happen, of course not.

Just trying to help get to the bottom of things, for if this is a bug that development can fix in an update, they will need all the most concise info on how to cause that bug in order to squash it. I've been around this forum a long time and have learned that we can either do that or let a bug go un-squashed for way too long.

So if development finds out that one must create a TAG, then extend the TAG in order to get this behavior to exhibit, then we are closer to a solve. That's all.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#63793 - 03/07/10 05:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Mac]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

Please email the song to beta@pgmusic.com , and we can hopefully duplicate the issue.

#63794 - 03/07/10 06:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi gadabout

Quote:

I'll sometimes hit a wrong key or click in the wrong spot by accident.

Because you say that you made the above mistakes did you try my remedy in my post because I have only come across this once and that was with an imported file it has never happened here with my own input - it should have showed up any software fault

Try to delete the four bars as described and Save before Play to prevent it from re-occuring
Brian

#63795 - 03/07/10 09:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Jazzman]
gadabout Offline

Jazzman,

I tried your suggestion. Actually that was probably one of the first things I tried when hacking around and trying to fix it myself. Unfortunately, the gray bar still remains after trying this.

I emailed Peter a copy of the file, so hopefully we will be able to find out what's going on here.

#63796 - 03/07/10 01:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi gadabout,

Pleased to hear that you tried it earlier - did the deletion remove the 4 bars if it did and should - did you then Save the altered song before you tried to play it again - this is very important

I have found the song on a disk I had the same problem with and did the deletion and Save and the problem is solved here

Brian

#63797 - 03/07/10 03:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: Jazzman]
gadabout Offline

Brian,

Yes, the deletion removed the bars that I requested and yes, I did save it. The gray bar seems to have no effect on what gets played. It's only visual.

#63798 - 03/08/10 05:19 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Quirky interface woes [Re: gadabout]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi gadabout (and Peter),

After not seeing your problem I have actually managed to recreate the problem and making the four gray bars appear

I tried to force the issue by making "mistakes" and the one thing that made it happen was by hitting a song in the song picker window twice quickly and causing a glitch before the first one had loaded properly - i.e operator error

I simply reloaded the song correctly and of course the saved proper version was back without the four gray bars
Brian

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Track Freezing Tutorial

Learn how to freeze your mixer track within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 when you check out our latest video: Click here to watch...

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 18)

Monday, February 18th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 19th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Video - Setting And Organizing Your Favorite Styles in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Learn how quickly you can set up and organize your list of your favorite styles in Band-in-a-Box® with our latest video - we have more than 6,000 Styles, so you could find this feature VERY helpful to streamline your songwriting! Click here to watch the video on our YouTube channel.

Visit Chapter 6 of the Online Manual to read more about applying Styles within Band-in-a-Box®.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 619 Available

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019!

Learn more about this update & download it here.

This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2019 build. VST DAW Plugin update to 1.11.14 is included in this patch.

There is also a separate RealTracks patch available! Click here to review the updates and download this patch.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2019 build 619:
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Some important flash messages were not displaying properly.
Fixed: The 64 bit version did not have the MIDI Monitor window.
Fixed: The drums window would not update after toggling "Display QWERTY Chars On Drums" setting.
Fixed: Saving an XML or ABC file will sometimes crash Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Some ASIO devices would fail to start with error "Your ASIO driver uses a MAC-based data format. The program does not support MAC-basedformats."
Improved: ASIO now supports extra audio formats: 64 bit float samples, and big endian sample types (16, 18, 20, 24, & 32 bit).
Fixed: If an ASIO audio device has more than 32 input or output ports, Band-in-a-Box would crash with an access violation when leaving the ASIO Audio Drivers window.
Fixed: Silent gaps between RealTracks riffs were not being filled.
Fixed: There were undesirable gaps between riffs in RealTracks 1278: Synth Pad, PopUplift Ev 120.

Summary of fixes for the VST DAW Plugin:
Fixed: Generating a single RealDrums rendered wrong track and had wrong name sometimes.
Fixed: UserTracks not showing correct name, or not generating sometimes.
Fixed: Loops and UserTracks were sometimes ALL CAPS names.
Fixed: Drums track names showed up as "N/A" drums when style loaded from a song.
Improved: Generating only the master works better.
Improved: Master.mid and indivudal MIDI files are saved.
Improved: Names for style tracks when on melody or soloist.
Fixed: Generating a loop when the style contained a soloist track wasn't working.
Fixed: In some DAWs an error could occur while dragging tracks.
Fixed: Blue square filled up after generating only master track.
Fixed: Midi playback caused crash in some DAWs (e.g. Pro Tools, Studio One)
Fixed: Render hangs with large render wav file in some cases.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 49-PAK is still available, and it's PACKED with Add-ons you'll want in your Band-in-a-Box® library!

The 2019 49-PAK includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 MIDI SuperTracks in MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 240 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks and Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 30 new MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly! Learn more and listen to demos: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Video - Selecting the Best RealTracks for Your Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

With over 2,700 RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, you may find this "Selecting the Best RealTracks for your Song" video helpful! In this video we go over the "select best RealTracks" dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch.

For more information on this feature, visit the Chapter 6 | Using RealTracks in Songs

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: The Soloist Overview

Get to know the Band-in-a-Box® Soloist feature with our latest video: Watch now...

Read more about this feature within our Online manual: Chapter 6 | Adding Solo - "The Soloist"

Forum Stats
28973 Members
60 Forums
56930 Topics
475655 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
DGme, Nel John, jmwood, Dave1952, Zabbadav

28972 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 191
VideoTrack 181