Print Thread
Go To
#637048 01/18/21 09:19 AM
Songwriting
Cotts Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
If I write an original melody and lyrics can i publish it on a CD or some monetized platform using my voice and B.I.B. 'real tracks'?

In other words, are the "real tracks" performances copyrighted themselves?

Thanks.

Dave

Taylor T5, Epiphone Masterbilt Frontier, iMac, MacBook Pro.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
You can do what you say, use RealTracks in an original song. Copyright will not be an issue but I recall some of those online services might recognize the sounds and think it’s a violation. There’s another thread on this within the last year.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yep.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Only PG Music can give you written permission to re-publish their original work.

Interestingly, the end user license makes no mention of this one way or the other; it neither allow nor restricts this use.

Of course, if such use were restricted, there wouldn't be much point to BIAB existing.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Cotts Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Conflicting responses:

"Yep". Yep what, if I may ask...

Do I need "written permission from PG"? Or not?

"Copyright will not be an issue"... Or will it?

Thanks for the responses but I'm no further toward an answer at this point...

Dave

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Matt Finley and GuitarHacker. You can put out what you want from RealBand/BIAB without providing credit to the tracks you have used. There's no gray area here. That's what the tool is for.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I was sure there was an FAQ someplace that talked about this, of course when I went looking for it I couldn't find it.

It is perfectly ok to release your original song using BIAB as your band, many, many people have done that.

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
https://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq1.htm#22

Are songs that I create with Band-in-a-Box copyrighted?
The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.

--------

This applies to the MIDI sounds and RealTracks/RealDrums within your BB creation (so, the entire song!) - you're good to go! No need to credit Band-in-a-Box or RealTracks Artists when publishing your work.

smile

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Cotts

Conflicting responses:

"Yep". Yep what, if I may ask...

Do I need "written permission from PG"? Or not?

"Copyright will not be an issue"... Or will it?

Thanks for the responses but I'm no further toward an answer at this point...

Dave

I should have said YEP and NOPE to your two questions....I can see how answering the first one by itself can be confusing.

You are allowed to use this software to create original songs and copyright them in your name. You don't have to include PG as a co-writer or share any credits with any of the track artists who recorded the real tracks. As long as you bought the software from PG and have the license that goes along with it, you are free to use the software for personal and commercial ventures. I have music being used commercially that was written using PG real tracks. I don't have to do anything other than to sign a statement with my publisher or music library which represents my music, that I alone, control all the rights to the music. Which, I do.

If however, you listen to one of the style demos and like it and decide to use it exactly like it is, that is a copyright infraction. Simply change a few aspects of the demo and rearrange the chords and it's all good. Besides that, I find that demo's often sound quite different when they are placed in your DAW and you simply change the key and tempo, and the demo's are often NOT in a usable song format. But... it's not a good idea to use the demo for anything other than learning privately.

Hope that clarifies it a bit better.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Cotts Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarity. This community is very helpful!

Dave

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
As long as you bought the software from PG and have the license that goes along with it, you are free to use the software for personal and commercial ventures.

Nonsense. The license does not protect you. It doesn’t say a word one way or the other. I can think of a dozen reasons why PGM’s lawyers left such language out of the EULA. None are worth discussing here.

Callie’s response, OTOH, does grant the permissions you are looking for.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It is always advisable to seek the advice of a lawyer who deals with the music industry to answer any type of legal questions.

Having said that, myself and thousands of other people have published songs that were created using BIAB software. As far as I know there have been no lawsuits as a result of those actions.

The issues of copyright are about as complex as it gets and no forum has the expertise to guarantee all your questions will be answered correctly.

As with most things, nothing normally happens unless there is money involved. Make a song with BIAB that generates millions in revenue and things could get pretty complicated.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
As long as you bought the software from PG and have the license that goes along with it, you are free to use the software for personal and commercial ventures.

Nonsense. The license does not protect you. It doesn’t say a word one way or the other. I can think of a dozen reasons why PGM’s lawyers left such language out of the EULA. None are worth discussing here.

Callie’s response, OTOH, does grant the permissions you are looking for.

Man! You need to read the PG Music Inc. License Agreement. Content you create belongs to you. If you didn't buy it, there's rules for transferring ownership, but the (purchased) license makes it legal for you to use.

PG Music Inc. License Agreement
CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE COMPLETING THE INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE. USAGE OF THE SOFTWARE INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
LICENSE
A. The program may only be used on a single machine.
B. You may transfer the program and license to another party if the other party agrees to accept the terms of this Agreement. If you transfer the program, you must either transfer all copies, whether in printed or machine readable form, to the same party, or, destroy all copies not transferred. This includes all modifications and/or portions of the program merged into other programs.
C. You may receive the program in more than one media. Regardless of the type or size of media you receive, you may install or use the media on a single machine.
D. The program (including any images, "applets," photographs, animations, video, audio, music, and text incorporated into the program) is owned by PG Music Inc. or its suppliers, and is protected by international copyright laws and international treaty provisions.
You may not use, copy, or transfer the program, or any copy, modification or merged portion of the program, in whole or in part, except as expressly provided for in this license. If you transfer possession of any copy, modification or merged portion of the program to another party, your license is automatically terminated.
Some programs such as Band-in-a-Box have a "server" function (including BandInABoxServer.exe program) to connect to a "Client" (mobile client version of Band-in-a-Box on iPhone or other mobile device). You are only licensed to connect the Server function (including BandInABoxServer.exe program) to Clients where you own or have properly licensed both the Client and Server software that is being connected, not to clients or Server software owned/licensed by third parties. The preceding also applies to any other PG Music products (RealBand etc.) with a similar type of connection between a Server program and a Client.
LIMITATION OF REMEDIES
PG Music Inc.'s entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall be:
A. The replacement of any media not meeting PG Music Inc.'s "Limited Warranty," which are returned to PG Music Inc., or an authorized PG Music Inc. dealer, with a copy of your receipt.
B. If PG Music Inc. or the authorized dealer is unable to deliver replacement media which is free of defects in materials or workmanship, you may terminate this agreement, and your money will be refunded.
In no event will PG Music Inc. be liable to you for any damages, including but not limited to lost profits, lost savings, or other incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or the inability to use such program, even if PG Music Inc. or an authorized PG Music Inc. dealer has been advised of the possibility of such damages, or for any claim by any other party.
NOTICE TO CUSTOMERS
The following paragraph applies to the video join tool (vjt.exe, vjt_ffmpeg.exe, and other files in the \Data\VJT folder) that may be included with this installation. Notice Required for the License Granted under Articles 2.1 and 2.6 and for Sales to Codec Licensee Customer(s). As a condition of the license granted under Article 2.6 and the license granted to a Codec Licensee to make Sales to Codec Licensee Customer(s), Licensee agrees to provide any party that receives an AVC Product from Licensee exercising such license rights the following notice: THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE. SUCH LICENSE EXTENDS TO THIS PRODUCT ONLY AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT OF OTHER NOTICES WHICH MAY BE INCLUDED HEREIN. THE LICENSE DOES NOT EXTEND TO ANY OTHER PRODUCT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH PRODUCT IS INCLUDED WITH THIS LICENSED PRODUCT IN A SINGLE ARTICLE. THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF A CONSUMER OR OTHER USES IN WHICH IT DOES NOT RECEIVE REMUNERATION TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD (“AVC VIDEO”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE [url=HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM][url=HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM][url=HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM]HTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM[/url][/url][/url]
The following paragraph applies to the video join tool (vjt.exe, vjt_ffmpeg.exe and other files in the \Data\VJT folder ) that may be included with this installation. Video Join Tool "VJT" is hereby licensed to the End-user as a limited, non-exclusive, non transferable license to run one copy of the object code version of the x264 Software on one machine, device, or instrument solely as
integrated into the Integrated Product. If the Integrated Product is licensed for concurrent or network use, the End-User may not allow more than the maximum number of authorized users to access and use the x264 Software concurrently. The End-User may only make copies of the Integrated Product only for backup and archival purposes. The End-User is Prohibited from: (a) copying the Integrated Product and/or x264 Software onto any public or distributed network; (b) using the x264 Software to operate in or as a time-sharing, outsourcing, service bureau, application service provider or managed service provider environment; (c) using the x264 Software as a standalone application or any other purpose than as integrated into the Integrated Product; (d) changing any proprietary rights notices which appear in the x264 Software or the Integrated Product; or (e) modifying the x264 Software. The End User may transfer the license granted by the EULA only if (a) End-User complies with any transfer terms imposed by Licensee and delivers all copies of the Integrated Product to the transferee along with the EULA; (b) transferee accepts the terms and conditions of the EULA as a condition to any transfer; and (c) the End-User’s license to use the Integrated Product terminates upon transfer. The End-User must comply with all applicable export laws and regulations. If the EULA is ever terminated, the End-User is required to immediately destroy all copies of the Integrated Product and x264 Software upon termination of the EULA.
This program may include video join tool (vjt.exe, vjt_ffmpeg.exe and other files in the \Data\VJT folder ). The program uses FFmpeg under the LGPLv2.1 which can be seen here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html FFmpeg software is not owned by PG Music and information on ownership can be found at www.ffmpeg.org
TRADEMARKS
Band-in-a-Box®, Band-in-a-Box for Bozos®, CloudTracks®, GuitarStar®, JazzU®, PG Music®, PowerTracks Pro®, RealBand®, RealDrums®, RealStyles®, and RealTracks® are either the trademarks or registered trademarks of PG Music Inc. in the United States, Canada, and other countries. Microsoft® and Windows® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Apple®, the Apple logo, iPad™, iPhone®, iPod touch®, Leopard®, Macintosh®, Mac®, Panther®, Power Mac®, QuickTime®, Snow Leopard®, Tiger®, and TrueType® are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. IBM® is the registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation. Roland® and "Roland" Logo, DIROL® and "EDIROL" Logo, GS® and "GS" Logo, are registered trademarks and "MIDI2" Logo, EDIROL Virtual Sound Canvas Multi Pack, VSC-MP1™ are trademarks of Roland Corporation. Steinberg and ASIO are trademarks of Steinberg Media Technologies AG. VST is a registered trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies AG. Amplitube® and SampleTank® are registered trademarks of IK Multimedia Production srl. Fretlight® is a registered trademark of Optek Music Systems, Inc. Other brands and their products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be noted as such.
PATENTS
Band-in-a-Box® is protected under US Patents 5990407, 8097801, 8581085, and 8680387. The TC-Helicon Harmony feature in Band-in-a-Box® and PowerTracks Pro® Audio is protected under US Patents 5567901, 5641926, 5986198, 34583, 296.80.173.9, PI9603819.5, 0368046, 0750776, 6,046,395, and patents pending.
Band-in-a-Box®, RealBand®, and other PG Music software uses “elastique Pro V3 by zplane.development” as a time and pitch stretching engine, “elastique Tune V1 by zplane.development” as a monophonic pitch editing engine, and “Harmony addon V1 by zplane.development” for the elastique Tune Engine.
Some audio conversions use libsndfile. Libsndfile is licensed under LPGL. BeStPlain chord font - (c) 2016 by Bernhard Steuber CDS Design GmbH http://cdsdesign.de. RealScore and BigBand chord fonts - Copyright (c) 2014 by Nor Eddine Bahha http://norfonts.com.
Coyote Electronics Inc. License Agreement
Coyote WaveTable is a DirectX Instrument (DXi) plugin that may be used with DXi-compatible programs to give them the ability to play using realistic-sounding instruments.
See Coyote's webpage www.coyotes.bc.ca for further information.
Coyote WaveTable 1.0
Copyright (c) 2010 Coyote Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR COYOTE WAVETABLE
IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an
individual or a single entity) and Coyote Electronics Inc. ("COYOTE") for the Coyote WaveTable software product identified above which may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT").
By installing, copying, or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.
GRANT OF LICENSE
The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as follows:
* Installation and Use. COYOTE grants you the right to install and use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT free of charge if you obtained it from COYOTE or PG Music Inc. or an authorized licensee of COYOTE or PG Music Inc.
DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS
* Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA, provided the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. * Maintenance of Copyright Notices. You must not remove or alter any copyright notices on all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
* Prohibition on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.
REDISTRIBUTION
You are specifically prohibited from distributing or disclosing to any 3rd party the Coyote WaveTable executable file (currently named CoyoteWT.dll).
TERMINATION
Without prejudice to any other rights, COYOTE may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
COPYRIGHT
All title, including but not limited to copyrights, in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and any copies thereof are owned by COYOTE or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content which may be accessed through use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is the property of the respective content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This EULA grants you no rights to use such content. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by COYOTE.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES AS TO PERFORMANCE OF MERCHANTABILITY OR ANY OTHER WARRANTIES WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. THE USER MUST ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK OF USING THIS PROGRAM.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall COYOTE or its suppliers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information, or any other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use of or inability to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, even if COYOTE has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/25/21 09:06 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Man! You need to read the PG Music Inc. License Agreement. Content you create belongs to you

You need to understand the question. It’s whether you can use the BIAB samples in your content. Those samples are the IP of PG Music. This is most definitely NOT addressed in the copy of the ELUA that you posted.

It is addressed by Callie’s comment in this thread as I have already noted.

Pay attention and keep up.

Otherwise, it’s still January.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199