Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
the window asking for one track or individual tracks

If you drag only one track, you shouldn't get this window at all... so what exactly happens when you drag one track? (i.e. not the style mix). Does it freeze on a different dialog?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
H
hodge47 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi Andrew
I have tried the drag one track at a time from the Plug in operating within CB after successful generation, the track BTW plays within the PG as a stereo via the play button and is audible, however having checked that both CB and the Plug in are still apparently functioning when the next operation is to drag and drop a single track I get the window that says 'add to project file' and that is where the freeze occurs.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
In Cubase, Under Help | About Cubase, which exact version and build is it? When it freezes can you alt+tab between applications to see if there is any dialog waiting for a response? Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win7

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One suggestion I have is to download Cakewalk by Bandlab and try the plugin there. CbB is free to use. I suggest this not to dissuade you from using CB, but to verify that it is an issue inside Cubase and not a computer issue.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002690674-How-To-Download-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
H
hodge47 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi Andrew
Ok the cubase version is: 9.0.30 build 266 (64 bit) July 2017

Windows 7 is 64 bit Home premium service pak 1

I have used alt tab to show other programmes and there is no dialog waiting for a response.

When I open the plug in I am asked if I want to create a midi track to which I usually accept.

After the generation I get a message to ask if I want to drag and drop icons to your DAW tracks which I click yes.

Then I try to drag and drop a single track and the next box is import options which freezes and I have to run task manager to stop the import. Having stopped that import from running I can then run my test track proving CB is still working AND also I can click play in the generated version in the plug in and that plays through the sound card as a stereo track showing in the micro level meter in the Plug in on CB VST instruments.

When I get to this stage using the stand alone version the D & DRop just works and puts in a track or if I use the blue button it puts in 6; there is no question of having to put in tracks to acomodate the transfers when using the plug in version is there?

Thanks
AH

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Try this - go to the Cubase Preferences (Under the file menu in version 9.0.40). Under Editing --> Audio --> On Import Audio Files, select 'Use Settings', and check the boxes below, or at least the first box. This should bypass the dialog box that asks you what you want to do when you are dragging a track, and perhaps the crash specifically happens in this dialog box. Incidentally, you might also want to install the Cubase 9.0.40 patch. Try dragging one track at a time and see if it works.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
H
hodge47 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi Andrew
More progress, I made that alteration in CB as you suggested and I was able to drag the tracks in one by one without causing a freeze or crash. However when I followed through and tried it again this time with the complete mix on the blue button I did get a freeze which I had to close CB to get out of (couldn't just use Task Manager).

I am now going to try finding the CB upgrade to 9.0.40.

That dialog box seems to be one of the probs and I am assuming something similar is happening when I try to move the whole mix except you maybe bypass that box in your operation but it still causes a similar prob? any opinions

Thanks
AH PS I'll retry the full move and see if there is a message and I'll come back

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Adrian,

The other dialog that comes up is when you are transferring multiple waves at once (i.e. dragging the 'Blue All'), it asks you whether you want to import the files all to one track, or each file to individual tracks.

So it seems that Cubase will crash on your system when either of those dialogs appear, when the VST3 BB plugin is active. I don't know any way to prevent that dialog from appearing, and we cannot duplicate this problem on our systems (with 9.0.40 that is).

At this point, you've done an excellent job of troubleshooting and simplifying the problem, and I think the best way forward is just to accept that in this particular case you will need to import one track at a time - drag each green WAV - instead of dragging the one Blue. This is a slight inconvenience, but certainly not a terrible one - it does work. Alternatively as we've seen, the problem does not happen with the standalone plugin version so that's another option.

There are still some avenues you can pursue if you are feeling persistent. The most obvious one is to update your Cubase version to the latest build. Secondly, you could sent a crash dump to Steinberg. The crash dumps should be located in a folder like this - C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps. I could also take a quick look remotely as mentioned in a PM a while back.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
H
hodge47 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi Andrew

Your last communication sums it up as it is at the moment, I have downloaded and installed 9.0.40 for cubase and it doesn't seem to make much difference, it seems a little pickier about letting go of the AI and I definitely have to have the box relating to release when prog in background UNTICKED. There must be other fixes in that update that I have not yet come accross.
Regards updating my cubase, Do I take it you mean updating my current 9.0.40 for further updates or did you mean upgrading to later version than cubase 9 ? I thought that they would not offer to support my current prog and they want me to move to 11 (naturally) but I'm a bit worried that it would not run on W7 regardless of the cost. I have been told by Darren Jones who writes books on cubase that he thinks CB 10.5 would run on W7.
I don't feel that I can go for a wholesale upgrade through to new hardware at the moment so I'm thinking I will try and work round it as you've suggested.
I would be happy for you to try a remote look but I feel I've been monopolizing your time a bit lately, if it was a possibility, how would the logistics work, I would have thought that a phone link would have been essential not to mention working round the time difference.
Please let me know if you think it's a possibility, thanks for your time I'm very grateful that you are able to put up with an 'Old Duffer' like me.
Just as another quick possible fly in the ointment as I am not a keyboard player my MIDI set up is not complete, the Zoom handles midi but as its not got any keyboard functions the MIDI out is 'inactive' in CB parlance, I'm hoping that is not a relevant to this problem?
Thanks again
AH

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hodge.
HAVE YOU TRIED YET SETTING WINDOWS AND THE ZOOM CONTROL PANEL AND CUBASE TO 16 bit 44.1 KHZ ??
if not, try it. ie EVERYTHING 16 bit 44.1.
just run a test.

best.
muso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
H
hodge47 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi Journeyman
Sorry I didn't get back, Andrew came up with some ideas that were along similar lines, I went through all the settings and finally lined all up at 24 bit / 44100. The original soundcard now unused was set to 48000/ 16 bit and because (I assume) the Audio Interface, which was set to release when the app wasn't used, saw this it was prob that that was jumping the soundcard. causing me to have to power it down to start it back in 44100 (as there is no switch on the AI). So now I have it set to all 24 bit / 44100 there is no jumping the AI to different settings.
WE have tracked it down to a dialogue box that opens in CB to ask how you want CB to deal with an imported file, Andrew found a way to switch that dialogue off and I can now import the tracks singly. There is another DB which asks if you wish to import tracks singly or multiple on separate tracks and this is now causing a freeze but Andrew hasn't found a way of turning that off, so I may have to import singly. or use the stand alone version (ie not a Plug in) which will work as advertised.
That's where I am at the moment, hoping to get slightly further but at least I've got a workaround. Can't thank you enough for your suggestions, I'll try and keep posting

Hodge

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,559
Posts734,400
Members38,490
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer, Frank G
38,489 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184