#639859 02/02/21 08:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Razor's Edge

File:Razor's Edge.SGU

Key=D , Tempo 40, Length (m:s)=2:48

Style is _MORTALS.STY (Mortals Soul Pop Soloist)

RealTracks in song: 3546:Bass, Electric, AmericanaSlow12-8SteveAB Sw 040
RealTracks in style: 3088:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm AmericanaSlow128Mike Sw 040
RealTracks in style: 3722:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopSoulHeldSlow128Brent Sw 040
RealTracks in style: 3723:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopSoulGritSlow128Brent Sw 040
RealTracks in song: 3086:Organ, Rhythm AmericanaSlow128Mike Sw 040
RealDrums [in Song:AmericanaSlow128^04-a:Kick Hihat Quarter, b:Kick Snare

A very slow Pop-Rock Blues in 12/8 time signature.

I was going give you a rather detailed explanation of how I approached genesis and assembly of this song, as I did on my previous song. But I thought it might bore you, so I decided not to.

I replaced the original bass and drums from the style and wrote a completely new chord pattern. I gave the solo guitar a slight bit more echo/delay than the indigenous track for the style, plus quite a bit more distortion. I then added the organ for a more spatial sound. That's probably all you might want to know, rather than the full approach I used.

I attempted to model the guitar solo similar to the style and sound characteristics of Tak Matsumoto, a Japanese Blues guitarist I like quite a bit.

Hope you enjoy it.

Alan

BY REQUEST, HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS AS I PUT THIS ONE TOGETHER:

After selecting the style to match the song idea in my head, I wrote a whole new chord pattern, changed the bass and drum tracks. I then added the organ. I wasn’t sure, at first, if it was a good idea to use an organ and electric piano together. But after playing around with them for a while, I thought it sounded okay, so I kept both. The organ gives a little more depth to the distant ambience. The electric piano fills the left side of the soundstage, opposing the rhythm guitar on the right. The electric piano and the guitar sit in front of the organ.

My deeper thoughts as I mixed this: A broken heart, represented by the solo guitar, is crying out, but weakly so, as it has been thrown onto the razor’s edge by devastation. The lead guitar is in the middle of the front-to-rear depth. I wanted it to sound as if the other tracks were cradling and soothing it, soothing it from the cut of the razor’s edge, thus placing it a little further back in the mix than what is typical/usual. The drums are more forward than I usually mix them in this sort of song. They’re also simple. I wanted them to represent the heart beating loud, above the anguish, as though calling out for comfort. The bass has a few fill runs, my effort to further expose the drama of the heart’s pain. I gave the guitar a little more echo/delay and turned up the distortion a bit. The solo guitar is generic to the style. I just manipulated it somewhat.

It might seem a little silly to some folks, but that’s how I approached this song. I attempted to personify the broken heart to tell it’s tale of woe to the listener. As I write most of my my instrumentals, I usually have a little movie playing in my head and I try to capture that movie in sound.

I tried to give the guitar the sound that Tak Matsumoto most often uses. If you’re not familiar with him, he’s a Japanese guitarist I like a lot. His sound and style is somewhat similar to that of Gary Moore and, perhaps, a little Jeff Beck.

Hope that information is worthwhile to a few of you!

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 02/03/21 02:25 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Al-David #639894 02/03/21 04:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I like your explanations, Alan. Interesting and informative. Dang, I wrote that part as the song was just starting. Then I had to stop writing to just listen. Twice. I like the moody chord structure, and, man, that guitar is HUGE WITH FEELING. Yes, I hear Tak. So well done, Alan. Thanks.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Al-David #639899 02/03/21 04:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ZOWIE! That's good!!!

Once again, Alan...Thanks for showcasing RTs that I haven't heard (or paid attention to). You often inspire me to go have a closer look...

This is an AMAZING instrumental. It is much like what I like best from Jeff Beck. I am not familiar with Tak Matsumoto - so you've sparked my interest there, as well.

Excellent.

fj

Al-David #639903 02/03/21 05:06 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good stuff, Alan, love the fx on the guitar.

Nice, unpredictable chord changes make for an interesting instrumental.

I'm not familiar with Tak Matsumoto, but I'll check him out.

Enjoyed!

Al-David #639912 02/03/21 05:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David

I was going give you a rather detailed explanation of how I approached genesis and assembly of this song, as I did on my previous song. But I thought it might bore you, so I decided not to.
Alan

WHAT??? WHAAAaaaaaaaaaaat? But... but..... what about the enquiring minds? Boredom ain't the biggest problem they have to deal with! Anybody who doesn't want to read the explainy stuff can just skip it.

Having whined that:
Once again, I see a bluesy trend in the forum at the moment, and I AM LOVING IT!
Speaking of which, I am also loving everything about this song. I find the pauses where only the drums play to be really effective... to the point that I'm thinking.. "no.. don't stop yet.. I'm not done listening"

The guitar tone is actually pretty similar to the tone that this forum's own Eric gets on his guitar... a tone which everybody seems to remark about in each of his songs. (Eric should make a User track if he hasn't already)

I'm curious to know if this required much regen or if it worked pretty quickly. Because it sure does work!

Thanks for posting! I'll be back.

BabuMusic #639999 02/03/21 01:52 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Well, I like your explanations, Alan. Interesting and informative. Dang, I wrote that part as the song was just starting. Then I had to stop writing to just listen. Twice. I like the moody chord structure, and, man, that guitar is HUGE WITH FEELING. Yes, I hear Tak. So well done, Alan. Thanks.

Marty ...

You are always so kind. I appreciate that so very much. I thank you for the multiple listens. I like playing around with chords, progressions and the like. Sometimes, something good happens in that process.

Wishing you everything good.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

floyd jane #640003 02/03/21 01:56 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ZOWIE! That's good!!!

Once again, Alan...Thanks for showcasing RTs that I haven't heard (or paid attention to). You often inspire me to go have a closer look...

This is an AMAZING instrumental. It is much like what I like best from Jeff Beck. I am not familiar with Tak Matsumoto - so you've sparked my interest there, as well.

Excellent.

fj

Floyd,

Thank you very much. I haven't listened to Beck in quite some time. I think I'll head over to YouTube tonight and do a little catching up. Thanks for jarring my memory. I've been listening to Tak for about a year now. He's mostly contemporary blues and blues rock. Either way, I like what he does.

Again thank you very, very much. Wishing you the best ...

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good stuff, Alan, love the fx on the guitar.

Nice, unpredictable chord changes make for an interesting instrumental.

I'm not familiar with Tak Matsumoto, but I'll check him out.

Enjoyed!

Hey Dave ...

Thank you! I played around the the guitar fx for about fifteen minutes - it came together pretty quickly. Glad you enjoyed it. I like Tac quite a bit. For my ears, he's somewhere between Gary Moore and Jeff Beck. Many thanks for the listen and nice review!. Wishing you everything good.

Alan

Pat Marr #640008 02/03/21 02:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Alan

WHAT??? WHAAAaaaaaaaaaaat? But... but..... what about the enquiring minds? Boredom ain't the biggest problem they have to deal with! Anybody who doesn't want to read the explainy stuff can just skip it.

Having whined that:
Once again, I see a bluesy trend in the forum at the moment, and I AM LOVING IT!
Speaking of which, I am also loving everything about this song. I find the pauses where only the drums play to be really effective... to the point that I'm thinking.. "no.. don't stop yet.. I'm not done listening"

The guitar tone is actually pretty similar to the tone that this forum's own Eric gets on his guitar... a tone which everybody seems to remark about in each of his songs. (Eric should make a User track if he hasn't already)

I'm curious to know if this required much regen or if it worked pretty quickly. Because it sure does work!

Thanks for posting! I'll be back.

Hey Pat ...

Okay, as soon as I'm finished wit this reply, I'll go back and edit in my thoughts on the song development. I just didn't want to bore anyone. And yeah, Eric is a fabulous instrumentalist. He deserves every accolade he receives.

The regeneration went relatively quick. I probably did 8 - 10 regenerations. There was one I liked slightly better but the ending was pretty rough, so I went back to this one. Thank you for your kind words. I sincerely appreciate them. Best to you & yours ...

Alan

Al-David #640024 02/03/21 02:30 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan, this is a blues masterpiece. Loved that guitar tone and your chord progression. Everything about this is perfect.

PS - I also like to know how people put there songs together. This old dog still can learn a new trick or two.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #640028 02/03/21 02:37 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Alan, this is a blues masterpiece. Loved that guitar tone and your chord progression. Everything about this is perfect.

PS - I also like to know how people put there songs together. This old dog still can learn a new trick or two.

Mario, my friend!!!

Thank you very much. You truly humble me. I just went back and added my thought processes as I put this together, as well as somewhat of an explanation how those thought processes materialized during what I call the "construction phase". Hope you find something of value in that.

Best to you. Stay warm!

Alan

Al-David #640098 02/03/21 09:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really nice.

Loved the major-seventhy middle and end section - sounded a bit like the Eagles for a moment, then the chords shifted again.

The instrumentation sounded good to me.

I enjoyed reading the additional information on how the song was put together as well.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Al-David #640114 02/04/21 01:39 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Love this. Although this song is an instrumental - (a really good one I might add... ) the structure of the song had me thinking and feeling lyrically. I'm a bit melancholy in mood these days and not too far into the song I had the vibe of Paul Carrack (Ace, Mike and the Mechanics, solo) coming from my speakers. One poster mentioned an Eagles sound and groove, yep - Mr. Carrack wrote "Love Will Keep Us Alive" that the Eagles recorded - so that fits too.

Enjoyed my listen a lot. Hope to hear another from you soon.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Al-David #640155 02/04/21 05:19 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A beautiful chord progression with many hot moments of eye-closing anguish. The guitar lead was equally as saucy, if not more so. Also liked the simple organ background that helped defined the ezquiaite harmonies. Really enjoyed listening.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Al-David #640156 02/04/21 05:34 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm a sucker for gently weeping guitars. This example is about as good as it gets.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
Al-David #640171 02/04/21 06:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is awesome. The guitar had some much feeling to it. Well done. The backtrack framed the soloist so well. Just a beautiful piece of music. I am so glad you let us know how you developed the song and what you were trying to achieve. You nailed it big time.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Al-David #640204 02/04/21 09:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Al,
Wow! That`s a guitar track that`s so fine in your very emotive vehicle; I think you definitely achieved your goal of maxing out the heartbreak.
Very much enjoyed!
I might have missed it; what effects did you apply to the RT,please?

Robert

dcuny #640446 02/05/21 01:03 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Really nice.

Loved the major-seventhy middle and end section - sounded a bit like the Eagles for a moment, then the chords shifted again.

The instrumentation sounded good to me.

I enjoyed reading the additional information on how the song was put together as well.

Hi David ...

Many thanks for the really nice comments! The song is in the key of D but the verses focus more on the Bm aspect, but the chorus goes to Dmaj7. I've always thought the transition from the relative minor to the Maj7 of the tonic/root is such a sweet and soothing sound. I need to use it more often!

Glad you enjoyed the song and the explanation of my concept. Wishing you the best ...

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Love this. Although this song is an instrumental - (a really good one I might add... ) the structure of the song had me thinking and feeling lyrically. I'm a bit melancholy in mood these days and not too far into the song I had the vibe of Paul Carrack (Ace, Mike and the Mechanics, solo) coming from my speakers. One poster mentioned an Eagles sound and groove, yep - Mr. Carrack wrote "Love Will Keep Us Alive" that the Eagles recorded - so that fits too.

Enjoyed my listen a lot. Hope to hear another from you soon.

Charlie

Hi Charlie ...

It's always a pleasure to have you listen and comment. I've never listened to Mike And The mechanics but a few times, years ago. I am familiar with the Eagles song "Love Will Keep Us Alive" but never paid attention to the writer credit.

Glad you enjoyed it! There'll be more soon - a a few waiting in the wings. I usually don't post a new song when the previous one is still on the first page of comments. I think it's just courteous to the other forum members to do it that way.

I could write a lyric for it, but my voice makes a cement mixer sound like a top-ten vocalist.

Many thanks. Best to you ...

Alan

Tangmo #640450 02/05/21 01:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
A beautiful chord progression with many hot moments of eye-closing anguish. The guitar lead was equally as saucy, if not more so. Also liked the simple organ background that helped defined the ezquiaite harmonies. Really enjoyed listening.

Hi Tangmo ...

Thank you sao much for those very nice comments! Sure do appreciate all that! What I like about the organ track is it is, mostly, a steady hold on the chords - not too busy. Therefore, it creates an ambience that deepens the mood opf a slow blues. At least, that's my thought on that.

Thanks for the listen and helpful comments! best to you ...

Alan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195