Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
The word in question, however rude and disgusting is both legal and protected by the first amendment.

The first amendment protects freedom of speech, not freedom from repercussions for that speech. Freedom of speech only protects your freedom to express your opinions without censorship, interference, or restraint by the government; it does not protect censorship, interference, or restraint by any other group (employers or otherwise), and it does not protect hate speech in any way (which the N-word is).

Thank you Simon! It is good to remind people that the first amendment is about the government being unable to prevent speech. It does not nor should not protect you from repercussions from hateful speech.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Simon,

I was going to go into the legal issues but changed my mind. I simply don't totally agree with your statements. What construes hate speech is totally dependent on context. Is the use of that word hate speech when Eddie Murphy used it in comedy? Do you see youtube taking down the thousands of videos that use that word?

I assume you are Canadian but that is only an assumption. I have a good bit of experience with eastern Canada and Newfoundland and know some of the slang and derogatory words used there.

"Hoser" for example without getting into some really rude words.

The classic Canadian insult. Originally refers to the losers of a hockey game, who, in pre-Zamboni times, would have to hose the rink down once the game was done. Now it’s a synonym for “loser” — but with a particularly Canadian flavour.

Plenty of fights have been started over that word. Plenty of people take serious exception to its use. Is it hate speech? It could be but only in a certain context.

Look, I am not a proponent of using any of the millions of derogatory words. I have played in a all black blues band all my life and I am well aware of how many black feel.

Discrimination is rampant across all races of people and black people have suffered more than most. Well, if you exclude the American Indians and the Jewish.

What is insulting is having some jerk taking video in the middle of the night of some drunk guy and using it to try to destroy a man's life, plus his kid, plus his wife/girlfriend.

I can also guarantee this thread never was and never will be about music.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
"No More Bystanders: Why It’s Time for Country Music Fans to Step Up"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/morgan-wallen-tj-osborne-country-music-racism-1124539/

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's never surprising how many old white guys get upset when you bring up racism. They try to immediately shut you up. The responses are predictable about how "it's not that bad" or "it's better than it used to be" or my favorite, "the media is blowing it all out of proportion!"

Everyone on the forum remembers Mac, (except for some newbies), and we became good long distance friends over the years. What a few may not know is that Mac is black.

During more more than a few of our marathon phone calls to each other we discussed racism. It was the first time in my life where I'd been fortunate enough to hear first hand about the personal experiences of a black man who lived through the 50's, 60's, 70's and forward.

People need to stop dismissing racism as if it was something from the past.

It's alive and well, even in the music industry.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Thank you Simon! It is good to remind people that the first amendment is about the government being unable to prevent speech. It does not nor should not protect you from repercussions from hateful speech.

Absolutely!

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Hi Simon,

I was going to go into the legal issues but changed my mind. I simply don't totally agree with your statements. What construes hate speech is totally dependent on context. Is the use of that word hate speech when Eddie Murphy used it in comedy? Do you see youtube taking down the thousands of videos that use that word?

I assume you are Canadian but that is only an assumption. I have a good bit of experience with eastern Canada and Newfoundland and know some of the slang and derogatory words used there.

"Hoser" for example without getting into some really rude words.

The classic Canadian insult. Originally refers to the losers of a hockey game, who, in pre-Zamboni times, would have to hose the rink down once the game was done. Now it’s a synonym for “loser” — but with a particularly Canadian flavour.

Plenty of fights have been started over that word. Plenty of people take serious exception to its use. Is it hate speech? It could be but only in a certain context.

Look, I am not a proponent of using any of the millions of derogatory words. I have played in a all black blues band all my life and I am well aware of how many black feel.

Discrimination is rampant across all races of people and black people have suffered more than most. Well, if you exclude the American Indians and the Jewish.

What is insulting is having some jerk taking video in the middle of the night of some drunk guy and using it to try to destroy a man's life, plus his kid, plus his wife/girlfriend.

I can also guarantee this thread never was and never will be about music.

Cheers,

Billy

You're absolutely right - speech in itself is completely dependent on context. You could call me an idiot and I'd probably feel insulted, but if my lover called me an idiot it might feel endearing. That's exactly how it is with the N-word - black people have taken back that word and use it to empower themselves, but if a white person like me uses that word it would be horribly insulting, racist, and can constitute hate speech. You can't take words like the N-word and say "oh these people are using it, it's ok for me to use it" because I'm certain you would be angry if a person of colour used a racial slur against white people. Words like "Hoser" can't be compared to the N-word in this case, because Hoser has never been a racial slur.

Drunk people are not excused their actions (while driving, for example), so they should not be excused for their words either. Words matter, and most often what comes out while drunk is their true feelings. Hate while drunk is still hate, much like violence while drunk is still violence.

Politics and music go hand in hand, all the time. Rock and roll was built on politics - so was rap, metal, jazz, country, etc. Regardless, this thread is in the "off topic" section, so non-music discussion is allowed and encouraged here.

Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
It's never surprising how many old white guys get upset when you bring up racism. They try to immediately shut you up. The responses are predictable about how "it's not that bad" or "it's better than it used to be" or my favorite, "the media is blowing it all out of proportion!"

Everyone on the forum remembers Mac, (except for some newbies), and we became good long distance friends over the years. What a few may not know is that Mac is black.

During more more than a few of our marathon phone calls to each other we discussed racism. It was the first time in my life where I'd been fortunate enough to hear first hand about the personal experiences of a black man who lived through the 50's, 60's, 70's and forward.

People need to stop dismissing racism as if it was something from the past.

It's alive and well, even in the music industry.

Thank you Bob! Racism is as much in the present as in the past - let's not make Racism a part of the future.

I work here
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Maybe when we see this behavior in others it stirs up something deep in our subconscious past that we don't like about ourselves, are we externalizing, using the other party to punish ourselves, maybe political parties have been involved in the KKK in the past, so maybe they project there involvement onto other parties ?

Off-Topic
P
P
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Bob

You are probably a great guy and a great picker. You probably don't beat your wife or kids or dog or shoot at Trump supporters (even if you have an urge to) - you probably at your core a nice person

BUT ....

I usually stay out of these but this one is the straw, especially this week. This is like a broken record of “here we go again.” Can you not STAY 100% ON MUSIC on this site? Can't you skip the thinly-veiled politics, the WOKEness, the not so subtle low-decible whispers about America being bad if not downright evil, blah, blah, blah or whatever it is you always seem to flick off your finger here eery now and then.

You always seem to be able to find some way to track crap into the house. Most of the time it’s just tiny, little, minuscule (see redundant) sized mouse turds but turds nonetheless, they are. from my perspective they are only meant to dig and prod and to show, I assume, moral superiority and how woke you are and how bad/evil America is (that's usually where these end up). It seems you throw these out for effect, like an artillery officer seeing what damage the next volley will do.

That’s all I can think especially when there are thousands of other sites, echo-chamber sites at that (those cesspool places like Twitter and Facebook and Instagram come to mind), for you to join so you can bemoan the state of America. You seem to be simply stirring a pot here, a music site, to see which chunks float, which sink, and which just stay in the mix and on the sidelines.

If no one comments or jumps in you must feel vindicated. If you do get echo chamber support here (aka bubba's doing the POB [pat on back] thing), again you and they must feel vindicated - not sure what that accomplishes but, OK.

However, if anyone disagrees or has a non-parallel view with you, you simply get on some holier-than-thou horse, or another (genus) Equus animal, and throw out a few trite aphorisms.

for the record, the CREEPY person, in this case, isn’t the drunk-on-his-butt dude out with his buds late at night coming home and talking to EACH OTHER and no one else - but the crime of the century was he was over heard!

No the sick perverted individual is the gustapo, Big Brother, Trotskyite, Child of the Cultural Revolution creep who had to have had (has?) 24/7 surveillance set up to even CATCH those almost inaudible and fleeting words, across a lot, at that hour between two drunk buds! For all, I know that "neighbor" also captures inappropriate pictures of little girls in his neighborhood.

Here watch some actual black people “react” to it! (and this is just TWO) - you ain’t gonna like their politics either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53q44STmVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZjAXhnlFQ

And Mario,

Music hasn’t been music in MANY decades, let alone country music not being country music.

No, sorry, I won't be monitoring to reply

Peace and good luck to all, I truly do mean all

Larry

apologize me but i have to make and OT in a Off Topic section...!..:
this is for Larry:
i'm very interested in a yr old topic on the forum:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=409117
i'd like to know if there sould be a way NOT to have the soundbanks placed in the default path:
c\programdata
i'm on desktop win 10 home 64 20h2
cause i've a portable vers. of gp7 and i want to have it fully portable so not to have installed the soundbanks in their default path c\programdata;
i see that if i move the arobas music folder ,in which there is the sub folder soundbanks,
which is in c\programdata
and i put it in my portable gp7 folder that i've placed in my N\ ,partition internal hdd of my pc,
then i'm not able to hear any sound at all,
then if i re-place it in the default c\programdata path i'm able again to hear the sound,
so my question is:
is there a workaround…??..if yes i pray you to explain it to me..
thxs so much indeed in advance
cheers

end OT
i apologize to you all for my incursion...
pls forgive me..

Last edited by p060477; 03/16/21 11:50 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195