Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

I BiaB would only once do what it promises.
The context menu on right click in the chordsheet in the VST Pluging offers "load chords from midi file" yet does nothing at all :-(

Maybe I get a little depressed in Corona times. I should not have been happy to find this possibility.
Is that a real function an a bug that it is not working or an overpromises from PGM?!

Thanks for your insighs.

Cheers Stefan

DAW: Studio One 5.1 Pro
Interfaces: Steinberg UR22, Scarlett 8i6
Windows 10 64bit Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)
Veteran
Veteran
Well I believe it does work as claimed, but like much of BIAB you have to know the fine details. In this case the midi file has to have the chords labels in the .mid file present in order to import them. Most\many .mid files will not have this.

So here is what you need to do. First Right-Click "save chords to midi file". Then "load chords from midi file". This action simply moves the chord labels back and forth. I attached a file. Try to load the chords from this (btw, a most beautiful set of chords from my current project) grin

I know you may wonder what the heck is the good of that, if you first need to save the chords in order to load them? blush But, this is actually a pretty nice feature once you realized what is being done. There is no actual midi data involved (well I don't think so) or at least there does not need to be. But this will allow you to moved chords sheets from BIAB to other midi applications, for example Scaler, when needed. So this case, it is more about having the chord labels in a .mid file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
test midi chords in Midi file.mid (39.21 KB, 4 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes, that worked MusicStudent. Thx for the tipp.

Do you know, why importing Midi data with function key [F7] does not work. Nothing plays back after the import but the C chord that is default in bar one when loading Biab.
I try to progress with this terrible, exciting program. But it let´s you stumble with every step you take.

Thanks for any comments. I am on the latest version of BiaB.

Cheers
Stefan

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Stefan,

What DAW are you trying to move the chords to? I use Studio One Pro 5 and I hold the shift down and drag and drop the chords. That works here.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mario,

yes, I am using Studio One 5 Pro always latest versions.

The thing is, that there is no midi data after the import with F7.
At least nothing is show, nothing is heard.

Cheers
Stefan

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Mario,

your answer was for my original post. Sorry,
MusicStudent helped me with this trick as written above.....

What is left is my midi import issue in Biab not the plugin.

But thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Stefan

Veteran
Veteran
Stefan you are confusing us by jumping back and forth from the BIAB-VST and BIAB. crazy

Regarding "importing Midi data with function key [F7]". I am not able to find any such reference in BIAB. Exactly where is this option?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
It works here. F7 brings up a list of MIDI files; note you must know where to look for said files. Then just click on the file and it loads into the utility tracks. Note that I had to mute the original BiaB tracks before playing the MIDI file. Below is an example:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
F7.jpg (246.49 KB, 109 downloads)
Search for F7
mixer.jpg (462.08 KB, 108 downloads)

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Just Confirmed what Mario said! I would have never knows about F7 crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Just Confirmed what Mario said! I would have never knows about F7 crazy

Don't feel to bad Dan. I had to look it up as I never load MIDI songs into BiaB.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Mario,

yes, I saw it too in the utility tracks. That is what the import dialog already says....
Two features would be nice (for me at last)

If the default behaviour of importing midi files would mute the BiaB standard tracks. The mash up rarely sounds good (at least as I would use it). maybe other musicians use it differently.
Second, if the chords sheet could show the interpreted chords (as Realband does).

Thanks all!

Cheers Stefan

Veteran
Veteran
OK Stefan, I think I know what you are trying to do. Do you want to bring in a MIDI song file, have BiaB figure out the chords, then play said file? If so here is what you need to do:

1-file/import/import chords from MIDI file
2-click on interpret chords now
3-you will get a MIDI file not found message - click on OK
4-find MIDI file, mine was on the desktop, highlight it then click open
5-if your BiaB's key signature is not the same as your MIDI file you will get another message that will enable you to correct that. click OK
6-after the interpretation was completed you will get a message window - click on OK.
7-click out of the interpret chord window

Now all of the chords are in BiaB's chord window AND the MIDI melody line is in the melody track.

PS- So far helping you I have learned a lot about BiaB's MIDI import utilities! Thanx for that.

Last edited by MarioD; 02/13/21 11:40 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
It looks like Mario has figured out what is wanted.

I want to drop back a bit and correct what might be a mistaken assumption that BIAB is somehow failing. The MIDI standard does not support chord info. I'll say that again: the MIDI standard does not support chord info. Not even the proposed MIDI 2.0.

When BIAB shows you chords from a MIDI file, it is because it has figured them out, not revealed what wasn't and couldn't have been there in the file.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
When BIAB shows you chords from a MIDI file, it is because it has figured them out, not revealed what wasn't and couldn't have been there in the file.

That may be true for BIAB but not for the BIAB-VST.
Remember, this thread started with "can not load chords from midi file - In the BIAB-VST. I do not believe the BIAB-VST "figures them out" as in BIAB when it "loads them". If it did we would not have started this tread. Instead it looks for the chord label, if its there your good, if not you get nothing. I was pretty involved in the initiation stages of this and watched it grow, so I believe I understand it correctly. But of course I do at times get a bit confused by all of this and this threads goes in several directions...

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dan,

Stefan got me confused on exactly what he was trying to do. So I went back to initial post

"I BiaB would only once do what it promises.
The context menu on right click in the chordsheet in the VST Pluging offers "load chords from midi file" yet does nothing at all :-("

Then this later post "The thing is, that there is no midi data after the import with F7. At least nothing is show, nothing is heard."

I thought that at that point he was talking about BiaB as F7 does nothing in the VST. However I think that I answered his BiaB F7 question.

For his initial post I went into the VST and duplicated his problem. Right click on the chord sheet does bring up a ""load chords from midi file". I clicked on it, chose a MIDI file, and nothing shows up in the VST chord window. I think he has found a bug. Would someone else please verify this, thanx.

A side note, I also learned that I can load a chord sheet from the VST to Studio One Pro 5 by clicking on the C7 icon in the lower right hand corner and dragging it to my DAW. I've learned a couple of new things today, I am whipped!

Veteran
Veteran
I misread the post title. I thought he said BIAB was incorrectly ‘plugging’ a MIDI feature that didn’t work.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Dan,

For his initial post I went into the VST and duplicated his problem. Right click on the chord sheet does bring up a ""load chords from midi file". I clicked on it, chose a MIDI file, and nothing shows up in the VST chord window. I think he has found a bug. Would someone else please verify this, thanx.

I explained this is not a bug. A generic midi file will not have Chord Labels. However, if you save the midi with chord labels as provided in the current VST, then it will bring the labels in when you load. Again, these are just Chord Labels. They are not midi data. Chord labels are popping up in Reaper and Scaler both as this becomes more common. Chord labels are one of the new features which Pipeline had been pushing for the couple years.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Hi Dan,

I explained this is not a bug. A generic midi file will not have Chord Labels. However, if you save the midi with chord labels as provided in the current VST, then it will bring the labels in when you load. Again, these are just Chord Labels. They are not midi data. Chord labels are popping up in Reaper and Scaler both as this becomes more common. Chord labels are one of the new features which Pipeline had been pushing for the couple years.

OK now I understand. I know that MIDI does not have chord labels but the way PGMusic has labeled that "load chords from midi file" gives the impression that it can read chords from a MIDI file, much like BiaB. BiaB's "import chords from a MIDI file" and the VST's "load chords from midi file" are very close in nomenclature thus can be very confusing, at least to me.

Stefan, if you have a BiaB native file then with the VST you can load the MIDI chords by using one of the two methods I have previously posted.

If you have just a MIDI file then you must load that MIDI file into Studio One Pro 5 and have it determine your chords.

Hopefully this ends this thread and Stefan can change the post to status to resolved

Veteran
Veteran

OK now I understand. I know that MIDI does not have chord labels but the way PGMusic has labeled that "load chords from midi file" gives the impression that it can read chords from a MIDI file, much like BiaB. BiaB's "import chords from a MIDI file" and the VST's "load chords from midi file" are very close in nomenclature thus can be very confusing, at least to me.

It should read "Load chord labels from midi file" in the BIAB-VST. And I am afraid the confusion will never end with this program. Too much tribal knowledge needed to understand what is being done and how it is being done. Some day the old chiefs will be gone and the young bucks will have to figure it out on their own. crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, good idea. You should put this in the wish list forum. I for one will +1 it.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for your druids input.
The tribe is with you....
Resolved

Cheers
Stefan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,243
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185