Go To
Songwriting
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
THE FUTURE OF SONGWRITING.
heres an interesting "quandary" ive often discussed with fellow musos/songwriters.
and i'm interested in what pg users opinions are.

SCENARIO.
a songwriter innocently writes a new song. completely unaware there is a "similar" song out there in the ether.
the quandary is, one cant spend millenia searching high and low to see if there is a similar song to the one that has just been written.
of course there are only so many keys/notes/chords/inversions/extensions etc etc.

given the above, and the fact that someone could "pop up" at any time and say "hey buddy" "thats the same as my (insert song name) song".
WILL PEOPLE IN THE FUTURE BE EAGER TO WRITE NEW SONGS ?
there is a "scaredness factor" at play here dont you think // legal worry ?

i'm thinking of the next generation of songwriters/young uns coming up.
how are they going to deal with this issue ?
AND will it mean loss of lots of new interesting songs
to the music consumer because , concern that the heirs to a song made many years ago, suddenly pop up and claim this new song is the same as their grandfathers. for example.

there are other ramifications as well, includeing the fact that if people are scared to write a song , they wont buy "music gear" possibly. thus job impacts in manufacturing.

thoughts ?

best.
muso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I hear ya... and as a writer, I've thought about that.... however.....

Yep, there's a chance that you might write something that sounds like something else.... the big question is....

Did the other one become a big hit and make a lot of money or, did your original song that sounds like something else make a lot of money? If the answer is NO.... there's no problem... life goes on.

If the answer is YES.... then the realm of possibilities is pretty wide open. You're likely to meet judges and lawyers and all sorts of folks you would never have met otherwise... but that depends on a few people connected to the original song. Look up the lawsuits of the past. George Harrison with My Sweet Lord, millions changed hands over 3 notes.... but then again, I thought that Lady A's Need you now was a dead ringer copy to Parson's Eye in the Sky, but apparently not.

Heck, it comes down to this.... write your song and don't worry about the fall out that "might" happen.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Absolutely nothing to worry about unless your song is generating substantial income. Absolutely nothing.

Think about it....why would I go to the expense of suing you for infringement unless there's royalties to be claimed? A copyright infringement case costs a minimum of $20k to litigate. Why would I spend that money unless there was a heck of a lot more on the table to be gained?

99.9% of the infringement cases are brought by people who wrote songs that are generating little to no income, suing people who have a big hit. No one in their right mind is going to sue someone for a similar sounding song on an independent project, or even an album cut on most major artists. It's simply not worth the time & hassle, when all you'll accomplish is proving a point.

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've thought about this too, actually. I talked about with another musician friend of mine, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if it led to music getting more and more experimental so as to be impossible to distinguished as having elements from other songs. I don't entirely agree with him, but it's an interesting thought.

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
End copyright on melodies it will be wide open music for the masses

Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
That's never going to happen.

Ever.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: cliftond
End copyright on melodies it will be wide open music for the masses

No. It only means that big internet will continue to steal at will — only legally.

Copyright exists to stimulate creativity. That you do not understand this is not only sad but causes you to give misinformation to others.

Quote:
George Harrison with My Sweet Lord, millions changed hands over 3 notes...
Of all the misinformation I've read about this, that's the silliest.

The person who sued bought the rights to He's So Fine for the sole purpose of filing that law suit. It wasn't over till Mr. Harrison bought the rights back for himself and his heirs.
Quote:
99.9% of the infringement cases are brought by people who wrote songs

The vast majority of Copyright cases are filed over maps. Mineral rights are big business.

After that, in a distant 2nd place, is textbooks — where defendants learn that Fair Use doesn't mean what they think it does.

Print plagiarism was 3rd, last I checked which was a few years ago.

Music suits are relatively rare, as has been pointed out. Lots and lots of take-down notices… Copyright attorneys do not want for work.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Quote:
99.9% of the infringement cases are brought by people who wrote songs

The vast majority of Copyright cases are filed over maps. Mineral rights are big business.

After that, in a distant 2nd place, is textbooks — where defendants learn that Fair Use doesn't mean what they think it does.

Print plagiarism was 3rd, last I checked which was a few years ago.

Music suits are relatively rare, as has been pointed out. Lots and lots of take-down notices… Copyright attorneys do not want for work. [/quote]

Way to misquote me out of context, Mike. I was VERY specifically referencing song/music infringement cases with the 99% number, and I'm absolutely correct on that. I never stated, or implied, that 99% of all copyright infringement cases were music related.

Come on, man, you're better than this.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I quoted you word for word. That you did not put it in context is your mistake, not mine.

Yes, I see that you have some experience here but your post was worded poorly. I was pointing that out. I see that you didn't understand this, either.

Your percentage is still wrong.

Otherwise, it's still January. The meaning of that will be clear if I post on this subject in February.

In the mean time, who's your PRO?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Is it me, or do there appear to be fewer stars (in the sense we had become accustomed to regarding them,) in the sense of having dedicated fans and sold-out concerts, coveted television appearances, and all the signs of being larger-than-life than there were before the web, MP3, and all that? In related events, statistics show there are more people watching DIY commentators on the internet than giants like CNN.
The exceptions seem to be Nashville and Rap. What I am getting at is the change in the money. Artists don't seem to be hitting the jackpot with a #1 like they used to. Even Adam Smith in "Wealth of Nations" (1776) comments on the value of copyright as a protection against small publishers knocking off cheap repros of famous books. The governors argued that activity was discouraging the flow of ideas.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
I quoted you word for word. That you did not put it in context is your mistake, not mine.

Yes, I see that you have some experience here but your post was worded poorly. I was pointing that out. I see that you didn't understand this, either.

Your percentage is still wrong.

Otherwise, it's still January. The meaning of that will be clear if I post on this subject in February.

In the mean time, who's your PRO?

You quoted a portion of a sentence, not the complete thought. Furthermore, the entire conversation was about music infringement. What the hell do any other infringement cases have to do with the discussion at hand? My point, which should have been clear, is that 99% of music infringement cases are brought against very successful songs that have generated a lot of money, not the ones that have only had a few thousand streams or sales.

As for the rest of your snarky response ("I see you have some experience here"), do you really want to compare resumes? Because I'm happy to do so...I've made my living as a full time professional songwriter since 1985. As a matter of fact, you can see who I am by clicking on the NSAI link in my signature (http://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/roger-brown). I'm on the board of directors, serving as the legislative co-chair, and have been lobbying in DC for songwriters for nearly two decades. I was actively involved in helping get the Music Modernization Act signed into law. So yes, I have a pretty solid handle on infringement issues and the profession of songwriting in general. The gold and platinum records hanging on my wall probably suggest I have a clue what I'm talking about as well.

I don't like spouting off my credits or discography, because I've never been "that guy" but your patronizing, condescending tone ticks me off. All I attempted to do by responding to this thread in the first place was to assuage unnecessary concerns about being sued for plagiarism. If my thoughts and expertise aren't wanted or appreciated, I can certainly keep them to myself. Or if you don't like what I have to offer personally, feel free to put me on ignore.

As to who my PRO is, I have no idea why that's at all relevant (or any of your damn business), but I have been with all three in my career at one time or another (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI) and I'm currently affiliated with BMI.

Last edited by Roger Brown; 01/26/21 01:45 PM.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Is it me, or do there appear to be fewer stars (in the sense we had become accustomed to regarding them,) in the sense of having dedicated fans and sold-out concerts, coveted television appearances, and all the signs of being larger-than-life than there were before the web, MP3, and all that? In related events, statistics show there are more people watching DIY commentators on the internet than giants like CNN.
The exceptions seem to be Nashville and Rap. What I am getting at is the change in the money. Artists don't seem to be hitting the jackpot with a #1 like they used to. …

William S. Gilbert may have said it best in 1890:

“When everyone is somebody,
Then no one’s anybody.”

(There Lived a King) from "The Gondoliers"

To your other point, it's getting nigh impossible to make a decent living as a songwriter. Streaming pay sucks absolutely.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Copyright exists to stimulate creativity. That you do not understand this is not only sad but causes you to give misinformation to others. >>

I've had to be away from posting on the Forum for a few weeks but I've pondered over this comment for a while now. I'm afraid I've missed the point and I don't understand either. I secured my first copyright in 1959 and I've copyrighted quite a few songs since then. I know quite a few songwriters and I've read many articles, listened to songwriters interviewed and so forth.

I have never heard anywhere at anytime, anyone say "I'm inspired to write a song because I know I can Copyright it." - Copyright is not a creative tool as far as I can determine. It's a legal protection for intellectual content.

Quote:
"George Harrison with My Sweet Lord, millions changed hands over 3 notes... "

<< Of all the misinformation I've read about this, that's the silliest. The person who sued bought the rights to He's So Fine for the sole purpose of filing that law suit. It wasn't over till Mr. Harrison bought the rights back for himself and his heirs. >>

I've again missed the point of contention here. Nothing in the reply contradicts the poster's quote as the post does not address the plaintiff's intentions to file the lawsuit but only the lawsuit's results, which in fact, Harrison paid millions.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/04/21 07:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
Absolutely nothing to worry about unless your song is generating substantial income. Absolutely nothing.

Think about it....why would I go to the expense of suing you for infringement unless there's royalties to be claimed? A copyright infringement case costs a minimum of $20k to litigate. Why would I spend that money unless there was a heck of a lot more on the table to be gained?

99.9% of the infringement cases are brought by people who wrote songs that are generating little to no income, suing people who have a big hit. No one in their right mind is going to sue someone for a similar sounding song on an independent project, or even an album cut on most major artists. It's simply not worth the time & hassle, when all you'll accomplish is proving a point.

Why go to the expense of filing an infringement lawsuit unless there's substantial royalties to be claimed?

I believe there's actually quite a bit to worry about regardless of the amount of income the actual song in question is generating. Damages caused by an infringement can be much more than sales and play royalties. According to Business News Daily, possible consequences of intellectual property infringement that "Depending on the nature of the violations, penalties may include civil damages in the dollar amount of damages and lost profits, an injunction to stop the infringement, payment of the attorneys' fees by the infringer, and felony charges with prison time." There's also the issue of fair use that may have to be determined by litigation. Many people also have a strong sense of right and wrong values and their understanding that a person or entity has willingly and willfully wronged them and improperly used their intellectual material is motivation to threaten litigation. A person that feels they've been wronged and had their intellectual property stolen may be satisfied with a 7-10 year judgement from a small claims court knowing they've ruined the perpetrator's credit or had their wages garnished.

The threat of litigation is a very powerful negotiation tool and is a very efficient and economical method to secure a monetary settlement. While I agree with you regarding your assertion that infringement cases are made by people that wrote a song that is generating little or no income filing a claim against artists and record companies that have a similar sounding song, the actual percentage of claims made that go into extended and expensive litigation and trial is a tiny percentage of the total claims filed. Corporations and celebrity artists that have great exposure retain full time attorneys to avoid allowing claims to expand into time consuming and expensive litigation and particularly trials. Thousands of claims are privately and quietly negotiated each year especially ones that have merit that while not gaining monumental cash settlements, the amount still may be thousands of dollars but considered a big win by Corporate when considered in relation to their potential exposure and payout.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/04/21 07:41 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Charlie, first of all, welcome back and best wishes to you.

You're absolutely incorrect on this. No one is going to file an infringement suit against someone when the song in question hasn't generated substantial income. It makes no sense to do so. I've been on both sides of this - I have had songs of mine infringed on, and I've received a letter from an attorney accusing me of infringement (falsely, for the record). Could I have sued some of them for infringement? You better believe it. But the people who ripped off my work didn't make any money to speak of for their trouble (a few hundred, maybe a few thousand dollars). I would never have recouped the cost of going to trial, or settling for that matter. Even in the non-litigated settlements, there are legal fees involved. It doesn't happen in a void, or for free. I'll make my point again...why would I sue someone for $10,000 if it costs me $30,000 to do it? And why would I try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement for $1,000 if it's going to cost me $2500-3000 to do so?

Send a threatening, C&D letter? Absolutely I'd do that. But it doesn't really have any teeth in it.

On the other hand, if someone infringes on one of my songs and has a big hit, big synch, etc (something where substantial royalties come in to play), of course I'd pursue litigation or a settlement. And if you think about it, those are the type situations you hear about/read about. It's either a "little guy" suing a "big guy" or a big guy suing another big guy. When's the last time you read, or even heard, about someone like Elton John suing Tex Nobody because poor ol' Tex wrote, recorded & released a song that sounds sort of like Yellow Brick Road and made a couple of hundred bucks?

The overarching point is this. You should absolutely do everything in your power as a writer/artist to avoid plagiarism. But if it happens, and your song has generated no income or very little income, no one is going to legally or financially come after you. They'll just very sternly notify you that they're aware of the infringing song and demand that you pull it down.

*also, you are incorrect in your comments regarding having someone's credit destroyed/wages garnished. The settlement on small infringements such as we are debating would be limited to the royalties generated by the infringing work. Unrelated work income has nothing to do with it. These cases have to be filed in U.S. District Court, not in small claims courts. Copyright is a Federal issue.

Last edited by Roger Brown; 02/04/21 08:02 AM.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown

*also, you are incorrect in your comments regarding having someone's credit destroyed/wages garnished. The settlement on small infringements such as we are debating would be limited to the royalties generated by the infringing work. Unrelated work income has nothing to do with it. These cases have to be filed in U.S. District Court, not in small claims courts. Copyright is a Federal issue.
Yep.

Although many organizations would like the ability to seek remedies in small claims, the Federal court system reserves that for themselves.

Without the protection of Copyright, there is no incentive for anyone except hobbyists to create. Sure, hobbyists can get distribution now but many of us were doing this before the internet and that horrible giveaway, the DMCA to Big Internet when it was only little internet. That the genie is out of the bottle doesn't make it right.

Broadcast, music, records etc. all exist because their creators expect that their works can be protected. The fact that it's been so watered down nowadays does not change this.

Quote:
Quote:
"George Harrison with My Sweet Lord, millions changed hands over 3 notes... "

<< Of all the misinformation I've read about this, that's the silliest. The person who sued bought the rights to He's So Fine for the sole purpose of filing that law suit. It wasn't over till Mr. Harrison bought the rights back for himself and his heirs. >>

I've again missed the point of contention here.

Yes, you did. Plenty of info on this hit job online. No need for me to regurgitate it here.

It's now February. Retirement from my day job in the field of Copyrights enforcement is now complete.

Quote:
… do you really want to compare resumes? Because I'm happy to do so...
Not on this subject. At least not publicly. Next time I'm in Nashville, perhaps.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
AI will be writing the songs in the future so it will be a moot point. smile

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
AI will be writing the songs in the future so it will be a moot point. smile

We might be closer to that than we suppose. Given the saturation of broadcast media (radio and TV,) the internet, social media, and mass surveillance, it is quite possible the media already dictates what we think, what we feel, and when we feel it. Combined with feedback that never sleeps, it isn't too much of a reach to think distributors will deliver "those perfect songs, so relevent," to consumers (or performers) on a regular basis.

Last edited by edshaw; 02/13/21 02:03 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196