You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#642319 - 02/15/21 04:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] RealTracks Contemporary Jazz
Loc: West Virginia
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Hi guys, it’s no secret that band in a box is a near miracle, but as is human nature, once we achieve certain things, we want more.

I upgraded to 2021, but was quite disappointed in the tracks available for smooth jazz. I work at a high, professional level, so I am going to apologize upfront for being more demanding than a hobbyist.

I find the drum tracks quite good. Although I’d like a bit more variety in fills and such, they’ve taken me a long way. The same is true for Jeff Lorber‘s piano tracks. There’s enough variation there that I can avoid stepping on my own toes. More acoustic piano would certainly be nice.

My biggest complaint lies with guitar, and specifically bass. Brent Mason, Dwight Sills, and Michael Thompson are all fine players as we know. But it’s fairly limiting, and Michael’s tracks are compromised with a very thin tone to them, which can only be altered so much. Missing are certain critical rhythmic strums, which can be found in abundance in the acoustic guitar tracks, but have no corresponding electric tracks for basic strumming. As good as Mark Lettieri and Bob Lanzetti can be, I find their tracks generally unusable.

Lastly, as I mentioned, and most frustrating, the bass is a real problem. Yes Alex Al, Vernon Barberry, etc. are great players. The problem is that there are some basic feels that are missing. What’s worse, the ‘Simple’ generation feature simply doesn’t work. Many of the tracks suffer from overplaying, especially since there’s no respect for developing parts by laying low in song intros and building from there. Just too busy from the get go! Additionally, 5-6 string lead bass has become very popular in the genre (Brendan Rothwell, Julian Vaughn, etc.), and I'd love some solo parts and more slapping rhythm tracks!

Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind. You guys do great work, but I am afeared that I am reaching the wall in the program. I’d be perfectly happy if you never developed or improved a single feature, but put the time and resources into recording more quality realtracks and realdrums, both rhythm and solo. No complaints on the quality of playing, but the variety is lacking, and there are some tone choices that could’ve been better. Dry tracks are always best!

Edited by Warren Keller (02/16/21 10:32 AM)

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist, Writer, Singer

"I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name"

#642324 - 02/15/21 05:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I absolutely agree with your comments Warren.
There is a RealTracks request forum, but I'm aware that you know about it. Perhaps consider repeating these detailed suggestions there also.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#642325 - 02/15/21 05:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Warren,

I agree there is always room for more RealTracks. I also believe there is room for additional MIDI SuperTracks and MIDI styles.

Believe it or not, I want more Pop, Country, Bluegrass, Gospel and Folk tracks. Some complain there are too many of them at the expense of other genres. What I've found is what we have is great but I still find gaps.

The good news is PG Music appears to realize content is the current star and deliver more content every year.

I will mention that one way to overcome busy tracks or tone is by offering additional MIDI content, be it in the form of MIDI SuperTracks or MIDI styles. MIDI can be edited much easier than audio. MIDI also lets the user choose the instrument patch so you can change the tone to suit your taste and the song.

PG Music has issued some "Look Ma More MIDI" styles the last few years. I'd love to see more.

I would also like to see some MIDI SuperTracks based on instruments like bass, guitar and sax.

I'm sure there will be more content released in the future. We just don't know what it will be.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#642439 - 02/16/21 10:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: VideoTrack]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Oops, forgot about it Video Track- thanks, will repost!

#642440 - 02/16/21 10:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: Warren Keller]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Jim. Good idea on the MIDI!

#642552 - 02/17/21 02:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: Warren Keller]
Loc: Denmark
stratos Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Denmark
I just checked out your SoundCloud and now I follow.
http://soundcloud.com/spontaneousgrvncombustion
Very very nice work, and finest sax and flute, to make it real
I can recognize some of the RT styles from my own YT and SoundCloud tunes.
Great inspiration to see how you do it

#653697 - 04/29/21 11:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: stratos]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Thanks so very much, Stratos- I really appreciate that! You'll find Spontaneous Groovin' Combusion at Spotify, Apple, etc. We released an album in February https://ffm.to/sgcsgc.

#653717 - 04/29/21 02:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: RealTracks Contemporary Jazz [Re: Warren Keller]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Warren,

That is a great sounding sample you linked to.

I'm not as fond of contemporary jazz as you and Stratos so I can say with all honesty I can't tell what is from Band-in-a-Box RealTracks and what is not. I hope you will take that statement as the compliment it is meant to be.

I don't know who mixed and mastered your songs but what I've heard is very tasteful.

I wish you much success with your music!
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Windows (on sale until May 31st - learn more here)!

We've also updated the Song Titles database, resolved user-reported issues for various drum features, and more.

Learn more & download the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 833 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили 80 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 стиля RealTracks, новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), записи профессионального живого исполнения (Artist Performances), поставляемые в качестве бонуса отдельные инструменты RealDrums (RealDrums "Singles"), транскрипции стилей RealDrums, набор мультистилей MultiStyles PAK 1, набор экстра-стилей Xtra Styles PAK 10 и др.!

новых | Пакеты

Just Released - Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

We've added 200 exciting new RealStyles with the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - 50 each for Jazz 11, Country 11, Rock & Pop 11, and Half & Double Time 1!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

XTRA STYLES PAKS ARE ON SALE UNTIL MAY 31st! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until May 31st, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Get To Know the Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings

Want to customize your Band-in-a-Box® song? Head into the Song Settings window to adjust settings for endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, chord embellishments, and more!

To access Song Settings in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows, use Ctrl+N or choose the Edit | Song Form | Settings (for This Song) option.

Looking to mix up the styles playing for each chorus? You can do that!

Want Pedal Bass in your middle chorus? You can do that too!

Hoping to fade the ending to your song? Also an option from within this window!

There are additional Ending options, RealTracks options (including half-time/double-time, 'bluesy' solos, Natural Arrangements, etc.), and more!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Documentation Today!

Download the latest Update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows to access the updated PDF manual and updated help file.

We've also addressed user reported concerns regarding Plugins Options, Drum Kit window MIDI events, the 2 bar lead-in for exported MIDI files, read-only Audio tracks, and more!

The latest update is available for FREE to all Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows users.

Learn more and download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Estamos ocupados e adicionamos 80 novos recursos e uma coleção incrível de novos conteúdos, incluindo 202 RealTracks, novos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudos Instrumentais, Performances de Artistas, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", transcrições de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 e mais!

Novas Funções | Pacotes

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Spanish for Windows is Here!

En PG Music tenemos el placer de anunciar la disponibilidad de Band-in-a-Box 2021 en Español. Despues de arduo trabajo hemos agregado, entre otras cosas, 80 funciones nuevas y una gran colección de nuevas incorporaciones y contenido que incluyen 202 RealTracks, nuevos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudios Instrumentales, Interpretaciones de Artistas, RealDrums 'Single' adicionales, transcripciones de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 ¡y mucho mas!

Nuevas características | Todos los Paquetes

Forum Stats
34372 Members
67 Forums
69408 Topics
596825 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
StarbucksStew, Amanda - PG Music, Trev77, bettJones, Yasu

34371 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 206