Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Using BIAB 2016, about to upgrade to 2021. Does 2021 fix this frustrating issue,that when I type in the chord that I want (let's say 13b9#11, sus2, sus chords and altered dominants generally)the arrangement refuses to play it and plays a simplified chord instead? Why can't I type in ANY chord that I want in ANY style and then hear it? Is there a global override for this problem in 2021?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I think this depends on the RealTracks you choose (presuming you choose RealTracks for your arrangement). This this then gets down to the exact phrases that the individual musicians performed, and their interpretation of chords and inversions.

MIDI is possibly more regimented/forgiving.

There are options to limit how BiaB affects these. One of them is called 'Natural Arrangements', which was probably introduced about 2018 or so.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, turn off Natural Arrangement. There are also a few ways to simplify or “jazz down” the chords, and those should be off.

MIDI should give you the exact chord you requested. RealTracks may not have a particular chord if the artist recording the track did not play one.

Sus4, 7sus4, and 9sus4 chords should be OK. 7alt should also be OK because the player has a choice on the fifth and the ninth.

Sus2 chords are interpreted (converted) to 2 chords by the program, as are add2 chords.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sad thing, really.

I already posted about this earlier

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605841&page=1

And this youtube vid

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Beginners Forum
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Thanks, Dzjang, I'm reading through all the posts on your 2019 thread.

I'm wondering if it's possible to go into editable notation, write the voicings you want, and save them to the arrangement? I tried that once for desired chord voicings to replace the BIAB voicings, but they wouldn't save. Something I neglected to do?

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
i think midi is your only chance - especially if you are using guitar realtracks.

for example C13b9#11 contains the following notes (i think!) C - E - G - Bb - Db - F# - A

that's seven notes so it's impossible on a six string instrument. and several of the notes are on adjacent frets on the same string - can't be done. a guitarist has to choose what he plays. that's the idea of natural arrangements. as a guitarist i'd choose to play the simple major triad as a starter with maybe one or two added notes that 'sound right' in context or just part of the chord which wouldn't then be C13b9#11.

but i couldn't play the chord you want. as guitar and keyboards are the only chord playing instruments you might have more luck with keyboards (yes ukulele and banjo play chords too but they have even less strings!). i'm a 'cowboy chord' guitarist but watching jazz guitarists over the years and learning dance band chords many years ago, movement is often created by just changing fingering to include notes that move the song along. which means part chords and compromise.

i'm not surprised that guitarists like brent mason haven't recorded C13b9#11 in a RealTrack. they couldn't. I'd be surprised if Oliver Gannon as a jazz soloist has either.

is it absolutely essential that you get all seven notes or is a selection of notes that sound right good enough? so a chord synonym might be available. for example on a guitar, seventh flat nines can be played if you omit the root note and play a diminished chord based on the root of any of the four remaining notes. diminished is an easy chord shape and repeats in several places on the fretboard so a guitarist would choose a four note chord that was an easy transition from the chord before and to the chord following. and would a piano player really play the seven notes in C13b9#11 together as a chord hit? maybe a keyboard player can comment on that - or would they play a combination of notes that works harmonically to move the song along?

Beginners Forum
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Bob,
I'm a guitar AND keyboard player, not that great at either except at chords and harmony. So I know many voicings for pretty much all chords--yes, on guitar you have to compromise a bit but you will still get a rich sounding chord using guitar voicings that have been worked out by all the great players and teachers of the past.

And it's the same with keyboard except there are many more options for voicings. However, great keyboard players generally DON'T put every chord factor into voicings and very often omit tones that muddy up the sound (like 5ths and even 3rds in some cases).

I'm just getting re-started with BIAB after years of neglect, so I'm sticking with pure MIDI right now until I get up to speed with the program.

What I need to know is how to edit BIAB chord voicings in editable notation into ones that I want, then making them stick into the arrangement.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey Leovigild

Everything you save in the stylemaker’s piano or guitar has to be C7. For most chords, biab translates it just fine,

But once you want certain chords with #11 or the 13b9 Bob refers to, biab can’t handle it properly.

The way I go about it is
limiting the color tones, like 9ths, 13ths in the styles (which is sad, but ...)
using slash chords (lydian over maj 7th in the bass for phrygian)
Trying to hear the sounds in my head and playing over them, rather than relying on biab to play them correctly.

Bob is very accurate in his analysis. Biab handles 7th chords. And the rest is often inaccurate. As a non jazz player, Bob nails it. Upper structures or triads are often the way to go on guitar. Don’t play more than 4 notes in a chord.

That being said, Oliver Gannon has a jazz instruction soft here on PG music, about playing jazz chords. It’s very intricate and influenced by Ed Bickert. And he plays a lot of very dense and wonderful 5 note chords on his guitar.

Playing that behind a soloist would be limiting, but for chord soloing, a great soft. Essential jazz guitar vol 1 and 2: high and low voicings.

So, Oliver Gannon and a lot of pg musicians (check the modern jazz piano soft, it’s great) can play intricate chords, but the algorithm can’t turn them into styles.

Too bad, cause it would be great for learning.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
While I play neither instrument, my understanding is that a keyboard player or guitarist will often omit the root if there is a bass player, and often the fifth. In the case of the #11, otherwise known as a flatted fifth pitched up an octave, this is near the top of the chord so it's essential to play it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leovigild

What I need to know is how to edit BIAB chord voicings in editable notation into ones that I want, then making them stick into the arrangement.

You can make your edits in either the editable notation view or the piano roll view, see attached picture. Just be sure to freeze whatever track(s) you edit because it you don't a regenerate will wipe out all of your edits. When frozen a regenerate will not change any of your edits.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1-notation.jpg (563.23 KB, 8 downloads)
2-PRV.jpg (554.52 KB, 4 downloads)

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Thanks, Mario, I will try that. So just hit "freeze track" immediately after editing, no intermediate steps?

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
yes edit and then freeze and save so hopefully by now you can edit and freeze midi tracks but there might be a few things that could make life easier.

pages 532 - 533 of the manual lists chords BIAB recognizes. maybe you can find a close approximation to what you want that will minimise editing. i'm not sure how BIAB decides what chords to play if it isn't one it recognises (which is why its not playing the chord you enter) so working with BIAB instead of against by choosing a chord it should recognise may mean less edits.

also page 129 - 134 describes chord entry - including from a midi keyboard so you could play in the notes you want the chord to include and see if BIAB recognises it rather than editing it later - i imagine it will automatically substitute a chord it knows that uses the notes you want instead of being tied to what you would enter on the qwerty keyboard. it might suggest a chord synonym for example.

thinking out of the BIAB box, if you open the file in RealBand and edit it, the midi won't regenerate so no need to freeze - just save as a seq file.

RB also gives you the ability to generate several versions of a complete track and to choose bits from each to make up a composite track.

also in RB you could try midi supertracks. assuming the chords you end up with are BIAB recognized you could try any of the jazz keyboard tracks to see if they fit better than the style based BIAB midi parts. and in RB if you don't like a couple of bars, multiriff will give you 7 alternatives to choose from.

there might be ways of getting BIAB and RB to work for you and not against you rather than letting it do what it wants and editing it later. or at least it might get you closer and minimise editng.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 02/21/21 01:35 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leovigild
Thanks, Mario, I will try that. So just hit "freeze track" immediately after editing, no intermediate steps?

You should be able to freeze the track, and then save the song (under a revised name if required) which will also save the frozen tracks.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
and i forgot to mention the chord builder (dealt with between pages 129 - 134) which might help you optimise the harmonic progression

Last edited by Bob Calver; 02/21/21 01:46 AM.
Beginners Forum
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Appreciate all the advice, Thanx!

Beginners Forum
W
W
is there a way to copy and paste the chord to other areas of the song? i get how to enter it in notation mode but i want to use the chord voicing throughout,

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
williamjrosen,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. Do you want to know how to copy in Band-in-a-Box or RealBand?

In Band-in-a-Box you can use the keyboard shortcut ALT+C, or Edit > Copy Special, to open the Copy Chords and/or Melody window.

In RealBand you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C, or Edit > Copy to open the Copy window.

In the future you may find that your question will receive more views and answers if you start a new thread with your question.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.png (7.47 KB, 72 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Copy Chords and/or Melody window
Clipboard02.png (3.78 KB, 72 downloads)
RealBand Copy window

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
williamjrosen,

In Band-in-a-Box you can use the keyboard shortcut ALT+C, or Edit > Copy Special, to open the Copy Chords and/or Melody window.

Another way is to highlight the measures you want to copy, right click on one of those measures, select copy, right click on the measure you want to start copying to and select paste.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Another way is to highlight the measures you want to copy, right click on one of those measures, select copy, right click on the measure you want to start copying to and select paste.
Thanks Mario! I didn't know this works now. I recall asking for it many, many years ago.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195