Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Man, this song is great Floyd. It gave me goosebumps!

Hey, I see it is on the Floyd Jane website and is marked as 2017. Is there a new version with new instrumentation--sorry if I am being dense!! I see the original original goes way back.

But it sounds really great man, I love it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There are a lot of great things to say about this one. I like the open ended lyrics. It might be a man or a woman you’re talking to. It doesn’t matter as the human emotion comes through. What some called a modulation seems to be a well conceived bridge and it is a standout moment. Of course the mix and the vocal are top notch. It is everything we’ve come to expect in a fj song. I wouldn’t have any idea how to rank your songs. They are all so very well done. We are lucky to have you here, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David C & HTL pretty much collectively set the piano on fire and exited stage left smile They were both insightful and articulate.

The "simple" band is wonderful and we place that in quotes because it is much harder than many realize to create a soundstage like this. It sounds terrific on the monitors. The cellos and acoustic guitars sound and work together superbly. Again, it was David that alluded to the wonderful arc. We much like the congas as the timing/tone of them adds to the overall, as Ray said, feeling of hurt and healing.

All of the above sets up the outstanding vocal and write. We've said it before but you are a master at expressing emotional songs like this without ever crossing that "angst ridden" line. Powerful and passionate.

The production sounds ageless ... those of all ages who admire singer-songwriter songs will immediately be engaged by this.

1978? Wow!

J&B

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
A beautiful write!!! So sweetly sad!! So emotional!!! And, I love the vocal delivery........it's hard to sing a track in a way that feels like you're thinking of the lyric as you sing it, but you pulled it off!! Love the strings and piano! To me, the percussion may have been a little intrusive at times. I feel it could have been a bit softer, more compressed and wetter. A beautiful, beautiful song Floyd!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice tune. Lovely ballad. The band performed good too.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Man...this may be one of the most emotional songs I've heard on the forum. The vulnerability of this is amazing! Truly, truly amazing!

That alone would have been enough to brighten my day!!

Quote:

Quality-wise it has everything I would expect from you on production and performance. As always, top notch.

The lyric and structure I didn't see coming though. I really like it. You very effortlessly made your rhymes work without having that sense of "he wrote that line to get to that rhyme" kind of a feel. That fake forced from lack of word rhyme choices kind of thing.

Your lines sound completely intact on their own and that they happen to rhyme sounds like was a happy coincidence...but not nursery rhyme-y at all. Your treatment of suprasegmentals shows your attention to intent. The progression and retraction of instruments, the lift in melody and management of energy all complimenting the intent of lyric.

I know you know how important lyrics are to me. So these comments are especially satisfying...

Quote:

Out of this world song! Loved it!

Couldn't ask for more... THANKS!!!

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
So beautiful and emotional! Your song really touched my heart and brought up memories from my own life.

Very well done (as always)!

Will

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think the percussion adds a lot to this song-- it is different that i would expect with this song and it worked..

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool song indeed. I really liked that false modulation you did .... that's unique. I don't think I can name any other song where it sounded like it modulated then you realize, it didn't.... it's still in the same key. Brilliant move.

Thanks, Herb. Appreciate it...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sometimes the vocals in a song are just another instrument and sometimes the vocal is the song.
This is one of those that makes me want to listen to every word.

Very nice!

moto

dcuny #643501 02/22/21 11:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Old song.
1978, I think.

Is there a time you didn't write excellent lyrics?

I have this image of little baby floyd jane clutching a crayon and scrawling out masterpiece lyrics on the wall of his bedroom. wink

Love it! Exceptionally good.

Really, I could quote every line, because you manage to make everything pay off one way or another, like trying to figure out what to say. Do you say "love" in a man-to-man conversation?

some call fate, some call it a love
call when you're caught in the rain

Yes. Yes you do. And then effortlessly turn the meaning of "call" while you're at it.

The "nothing in common" is nicely developed:

we talked music, we talked movies
over my beer and your gin
for some reason i impressed you
i thought you were older, too

It's a confessional that draws me in deeper as the song goes along. I really like how it adds additional details that take the idea further than expected, or somewhere unexpected. Like:

we thought we had a lot in common
strangers usually do

Good line! But then:

it wasn't true

The twist of the knife!

Or:
it's not often a man's allowed to cry
but i feel i can with you

Again, pulling into the confession, but then:

sometimes i do

Much deeper than expected.

Your voice is perfect for this - expressive and emotive.

There's nothing obviously flashy about the arrangement, but just a bit of focus of attention from the vocal - which the arrangement keeps the focus on by being understated - shows off some really nice elements. There's the subtle but funky kick and the congas, for example. Elements which wouldn't be expected in a "classic" country arrangement but fit right in.

The build of the arc is also subtle, but impressive. The strings rise from solo cello to violin, and then a small section, and then back down again. The vocal becomes more intense and the harmony grows. Really nice.

I won't mention the structure or chords (because I was busy paying attention to other stuff), other than to say that takes the song another level. But it was noticed!

I'm too lazy to come up with any new adjectives, so I'll just repeat: exceptionally well done - even for you. laugh

David - it is hard to even respond to your comments - you floored me.
Your insight into the lyric is very much appreciated. It's where it all begins for me - so it is always nice when someone "gets it" and notes it.
Your comments on the production/arrangement is "icing".
Thanks for the outstanding review. I could hang that on the wall!!
smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Nice harmonies. Musical bed is awesome! From hand drums and simple guitar strums to all those strings. Really opens up toward the end. Vocals & Mix is PRO level. Listens very well, and that what I think matters the most. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - thanks for the very nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A lovely ballad that flows effortlessly. Superb storytelling and performing.

Great mix and production.

Another top notch effort (but I was expecting that).

Peter

Thanks, Peter!!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The power of friendship is a beautiful thing, and I think you did a really lovely job with this song. Thanks for sharing!

Ember - Always nice to have you stop by...

edshaw #643713 02/23/21 04:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune Floyd. Loved the message in the lyric. Super vocal and harmonies. Drums were very cool.. The conga drums was a nice touch..

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: edshaw
You are a true artist, Floyd.

Nice of you to say, ed...

rayc #643769 02/24/21 05:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another high quality piece of writing, Floyd. Terrific vocal, full of emotion and the band sounds great.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Wonderful song on all levels.
The hand claps don't excite me but that's me.
A voice that simultaneously radiates hurt & healing.

Thanks, ray. The hand claps were a bit of an experiment...to give a little "new life" to an old song. Not for everyone, I know...I questioned them when I first put them in, but after a few listens they settled in, so I went with them...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi floyd Jane,

Very beautiful orchestration which brings your lyrics to life. It's a beautiful story that you tell us. Life is weird, you meet people you meet for the first time and that you seem to know. Well done.

Kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

You make beautiful songs for a very long time I see!
Maybe I asked the same as i saw David s did; is this the original song from 2017 or a remake?
If it was the old one, I'm amazed even more. It sounds so bright, like I'm sitting next to the guitar.
I liked that chord progression in it. Giving the song that nice twist in tension (if you understand what I am trying to say).
And of course your vocals are very good, but that's nothing new. Same for the lyrics. You never fail in making this music.

Love it all,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
BabuMusic #643887 02/25/21 04:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Floyd.
Wonderful song, well performed and written.
On the downside, for me the congas were distractingly cheerful though.

Vic

Thanks for having a listen, Vic. Can't say I agree about the drums. I suppose it is what one is accustom to listening to...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Absolutely love this, floyd!

The music bed is perfect, great choice of instruments. Vocals and harmonies are your usual high standard.

The mix sounds fabulous though my studio 'phones, couldn't possibly be better.

And then we get to the write. 1978, really?! Sheesh! smile

Thanks, Dave. A bit surprised by your very positive reaction...I would not guess that this would be one that tickle-you-fancy. Goes to show - you never know...

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Hi, Floyd. You should know that (other than working on songs of mine and others) YOU have become my go-to artist to listen to for inspiration and --well, really good songs. Ok. 1978. So now I'm getting the picture of your birth as you popped out singing and strumming. You're a natural, man.

Marty - What a nice thing to say!! Thanks you!! Glad that you found your way to the Showcase - your music is great to listen to...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Enjoyed this one a lot. Every element comes together perfectly.

Thanks, Charlie!

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Man what a beautiful song. Perfectly mixed, I could listen to it all day!!

Appreciate that, Ronnie...

Tangmo #644040 02/26/21 05:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
A fine write Floyd; wise and vulnerable at the same time.
Vocals, arrangement and production all serve the song so well; very, very good.

Robert

Thanks, Robert...

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Good one, Floyd. Sweet arrangement...especially that bass moving down. This is more thoughtful than "bro country" and I really appreciate this intimate portrait on a theme seldom written about. In fact, I don't know of another song that explores this off the top of my head.

Thanks, Tangmo. I was a lot more "sensitive" in my youth smile wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195