Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, just in case anyone here thinks I am a 'gun fanatic' I am not. I don't go shooting for sport, don't own a ton of guns (just a couple in fact), and shoot them just enough to know they are working and keep myself comfortable with their use. I actually enjoy my bow much better!

I am interested in the topic though, as I did learn things from this thread. Some of what I learned was numbers and some was getting an idea of how we are viewed from other places and their feelings on it.

No hard feelings here.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
here's another interesting link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsi0Ialvxk

it is part 1 of 9, follow the series for the whole presentation.
Don't give up on this too soon. It's pretty long, but it gets absolutely riveting toward the end. The boring stuff in the beginning establishes the credibility of this guys testimony.

It is an interview from 1985 with an ex-kgb agent. He outlines what his job was in terms of undermining other governments during the cold war. The statements he makes in this interview are chilling.

At the time of the interview in 1985, the things he was saying seemed crazy, but from today's perspective, it is evident that what he said is exactly what has happened.

Part of the plan was gun control. Wonder why...?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Pat,

Plenty of confused thinking here.
1/ I was simply responding to Bob’s quote:

Quote:

So it all boils down to a group of people wanting to take the rights of another group of people away.”

As you can see, this is expressed in terms of rights and not choices. I replied in kind.

2/ RIGHTS are indeed guaranteed by law, but that is not at all the same as saying that a particular right – in this case the right to own firearms – is not open to discussion. Of course it is. That’s one of the things democracy is all about. Laws come and go. They change. What do you think your legislators do all day?

Even declarations of rights, and, yes, constitutions, change – precisely as a result of such debate. Look closely and you will find that the Right to Bear Arms is, itself, an amendment.

I’ll leave you to compile your own lists of rights that have been conferred, amended, or withdrawn over time by laws, or higher declarations, in response to changes in society, changes in public opinion. etc.

3/ (and here we digress a little) There are many schools of thought as to what the function of the law is, but they all focus, obviously enough, on determining what is and what is not legal. Determining penalties comes much later in the process.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Plenty of confused thinking here.

I'd have to agree, but probably not in the same way you meant it

Quote:

Quote:

So it all boils down to a group of people wanting to take the rights of another group of people away.”

As you can see, this is expressed in terms of rights and not choices. I replied in kind.

But that is not how I interpret Bob's comment, neither do I think that is how he intended it.
His point (I believe) is that the law currently allows both groups to have their respective choice. Every body *ought* to be happy, but that is not the case. Why? Because one group cannot be happy until the other group is forced to conform to the "no gun" choice, and the only way for that to happen is for one groups rights to be denied.

Most of the arguments here argue the LEGALITY of both choices... (and that is a fair discussion)
You argued the VALIDITY of the two choices, and that is not our argument at all...(though it *is* YOUR argument. In a nutshell, it seems to me that you believe your choice is superior to the other choice, and therefore the pro gun choice should be disallowed by law. And it is precisely this dictatorial approach to resolving issues that the conservative arguments resist.

Quote:

RIGHTS are indeed guaranteed by law, but that is not at all the same as saying that a particular right – in this case the right to own firearms – is not open to discussion. Of course it is. That’s one of the things democracy is all about. Laws come and go. They change. What do you think your legislators do all day?

except that the USA is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic. My point is to derail the part of the discussion that elevates personal opinion above law. If you get taken to court over an infraction, your opinion doesn't matter to the judge. It is settled by the law, period, there is no discussion.

Quote:

Even declarations of rights, and, yes, constitutions, change – precisely as a result of such debate. Look closely and you will find that the Right to Bear Arms is, itself, an amendment.

which is precisely why the citizens need to diligently remain involved in the political process so some slick-talking politician doesn't crawl in under the door and change everything.
("this is the greatest nation on earth.. help me change it!")

Quote:

There are many schools of thought as to what the function of the law is, but they all focus, obviously enough, on determining what is and what is not legal. Determining penalties comes much later in the process.

ultimately, all a law CAN do is declare a penalty. Without a penalty there may as well be no law. Unenforced laws don't change behavior. Many would argue that penalties don't either. But the only real difference between a traffic intersection that has a stop sign and one that doesn't is the penalty for driving through the intersection without stopping.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/11/10 11:06 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
By the way, I don't own a gun. But I support the right to own and bear arms.

I also choose not to smoke, but I support smoker's rights. To me the crux of all these discussions is that one point of view empowers everybody, and the other point of view seeks to remove rights from the other group.

Our national embarrassment is not in the guns, it is in the lack of enforcement due to politically incorrect reasoning.

After the psychologist in Ft Hood shot all thse people, the conservatives were all saying the obvious ways it could have been prevented. (The list is long. I won't elaborate because anybody with common sense doesn't need to see it, and anybody without common sense wouldn't believe it if they saw it)

Meanwhile, the other camp was saying things like
"it would have been wrong to profile him"
"he was misunderstood"
"people were mean to him"
"who would have ever guessed..?"

duh.
Liberty is only dangerous when responsibility is lacking
responsibility is enhanced by morality and the enforcement of laws
You can't eliminate one without affecting the other.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think a lot of people who don't live in the US get the wrong idea when they hear terms like "open carry" and "conceal and carry permits".

I have lived in an "open carry" state for the last 30 years. I have NEVER seen anyone openly carry a firearm. But it's legal if they do as long as they're not a felon.

I have a conceal and carry permit. The last time I "carried" was probably 4 years ago when I was riding my 4 wheeler in the woods. Most people I know who have the permit seldom, if ever, carry their firearm. So even the folks who legally can, seldom do, with some exceptions of course.

But the criminals don't know who is carrying and who isn't. If I knew I was going to be in a high crime area, I would exercise my right to conceal and carry.

It is nice that my son and I can take our firearms, load them into the car, drive to the shooting range, walk up to the stall next to a state trooper or county deputy, set down a satchel full of handguns and ammo, lay the rifles and shotguns down, and the only questions I get from the trooper or deputy is "how do you like that Smith & Wesson 38 Special? May I shoot it?"

I know this seems strange to a lot you that don't live in the US and even strange to some of you who do live here. But it's part of the American culture and our history. You don't have to agree with it. But don't villify those of us who choose to exercise our rights.

And by the way, I'm not "fascinated" with guns. I'm "fascinated" with guitars. If you want to see me get excited, pull out a 1942 Gibson L5 guitar! My eyes will light up like a Christmas tree! LOL.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Quote:

But that is not how I interpret Bob's comment, neither do I think that is how he intended it.
His point (I believe) is that the law currently allows both groups to have their respective choice. Every body *ought* to be happy, but that is not the case. Why? Because one group cannot be happy until the other group is forced to conform to the "no gun" choice, and the only way for that to happen is for one groups rights to be denied.

You hit the nail right on the head! Nuff said.

Bob

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Pat,

Quote:

It would be dangerous if we started to second guess what other forum users meant.

I responded to the words actually written by Bob. If it turns out he actually meant something different, then of course my comment is invalid.

Quote:

His point (I believe) is that the law currently allows both groups to have their respective choice. Every body *ought* to be happy, but that is not the case.

Why? Because one group cannot be happy until the other group is forced to conform to the "no gun" choice, and the only way for that to happen is for one groups rights to be denied.

Again, you’re missing the point big time.
The citizen who does not wish to carry a gun and does not do so represents no sort of threat to the gun carrier. The reverse is not true for the reasons I listed above. (post #266720)

Quote:

it seems to me that you believe your choice is superior to the other choice, and therefore the pro gun choice should be disallowed by law.

I wouldn’t use loaded terms like ‘superior’ with its moral connotations. I would keep the debate to what is or is not effective in reducing unwanted violent deaths.

The stats quoted below show unequivocally and irrefutably that, in terms of intentional homicides, the USA is well over 3 times more dangerous than the UK.
What exactly is your argument? that without the private citizens’ right to bear arms you would not be at 5.4, per 100,000 but somewhere around the Mexican level (10) or higher perhaps?
You may be right, but to my way of thinking it is an argument which defies rationality.

Quote:

The comparative figures which interest us are as follows (homicides per 100,000 population)
USA: 5.4
Northern Ireland: 2.5
Scotland: 2.1
England and Wales: 1.4
and, specially for John,
Canada: 1.8

Quote:

USA is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic.

I’m sorry, but you’ve lost me completely here.

‘Democracy’ means (very broadly) that it is the people who decide who they are governed by using some form of fair voting system. Surely, this applies to the US of A?

The only democratic republic I am aware of is the DRC, not much of a model for anyone!

I fully agree with you that if you have broken a law, any law, you can argue your opinion of said law until you are blue in the face. It will make no difference to the outcome of your legal process, and rightly so.

But this is not at all what was said, which was that no discussion should be permitted on this subject.

Quote:

which is precisely why the citizens need to diligently remain involved in the political process so some slick-talking politician doesn't crawl in under the door and change everything.
("this is the greatest nation on earth.. help me change it!")

But isn’t it the greatest nation on earth precisely because it changes to adapt to new circumstances and greater knowledge and enlightenment? Whether slick-talking or not, a politician will only be able to change the laws if he has been duly authorised to do so by the electors.

Quote:

But why do you care about our laws that don't affect you?

1/ ..because I’m curious. This is the first time I have heard it suggested here that there are issues which only forum members from a particular state should comment on.

2/..because the USA is the greatest nation on earth (see above). It is possible that I will visit the country as a tourist at some point, and if I do so, I would rather have a less than 5.4 in 100,000 chance of meeting a violent end there.

3/..I would welcome anyone and everyone’s views on both my native country (UK) and my adopted country (France)

Quote:

Nobody's mind has been changed in this thread.

Mine has – I feel I have a better understanding of why so many American citizens support this historically entrenched but ultimately counter-productive right.

If you’re mind is not altered by the weight of factual argument (US intentional homicides per 100,000 of the population vs. those in other western countries), then –I’m afraid for you anyway- there has been little point to the discussion.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have to say this is by far the best thread I've seen on this subject in many years. We used to have some bomb throwers who would crap all over something like this and kill it but this time it really is a good discussion among friends. Of course this is one of the top 2 or 3 most divisive issues around, yet there's a lot of good reasoned points being made so I just want to say, good job guys.
Nothing to do with music but it's a good diversion anyway.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Alcohol and vehicles kill way more people in the US than firearms.

You can demonize me all ya want, I do not care, I cannot and will not give up my God-given right to be a free man.

And there is a period on the end of the above sentence.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mglinert,

I guess I’m going to “try” to do the same as Bob, (aka jazzmammal), and exit this thread.

It is humorous and enlightening to see people from other countries stick their noses into another countries business and get all worked about an issue that doesn’t concern them.

If you don’t like the laws of the USA, don’t come here. Don’t buy our products.

But don’t try to tell us how to live! You don’t understand being an American any more than I understand being from the UK or France.

The main reason that the USA exists is because they didn’t want foreign influence or domination. We still don’t want that. We never will. But we will always be the best ally you've ever had.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are many differences between the two countries, considering ...

Not just the gun issues, even things like the squatting that goes on there really intrigues me. How the problem is handled there, it seems like a lot of tolerance is required.. which can be commended on one side, but not understood at all on the other.

So I guess we will both look at each other from across the pond and watch the events unfold.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Alcohol and vehicles kill way more people in the US than firearms.

Of course they do, Mac. Private swimming pools too, I think. But the point is this.
The primary purpose of a firearm is to shoot it at someone (or, perhaps, at something).
The primary person of the other killers is something very different in each case.

Quote:

You can demonize me all ya want, I do not care, I cannot and will not give up my God-given right to be a free man.

And there is a period on the end of the above sentence.

That’s fine with me, and very much as I suspected – we’re not dealing with rational argument here but something that goes far deeper.

I still don’t altogether see:
- how being able to shoot a small piece of metal at another human being is a synonym for freedom
- how a Right enshrined in an Act passed by the US Congress in 1791 was actually conferred by God

…but I’m working on it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
mglinert,

Quote:

I still don’t altogether see:
- how being able to shoot a small piece of metal at another human being is a synonym for freedom
- how a Right enshrined in an Act passed by the US Congress in 1791 was actually conferred by God

…but I’m working on it.

As long as you're "working on it", and not condemning something you don't understand because of cultural differences, then all is good.

Most Americans don't like being told what to do, even by our own government.

The Constitution and it's Amendments are meant to not only spell out the the rights of the citizens, but mainly to spell out the rights and limitations of the government.

Bob

P.S. By the way, I've never shot a small piece of metal at another human being. Neither have most people who own a gun.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thanks Bob,

Quote:

It is humorous and enlightening to see people from other countries stick their noses into another countries business and get all worked about an issue that doesn’t concern them.

I’m sure the USA would never stick its nose into another country’s business!
But now is not the time to widen this thread further.

Quote:

Most Americans don't like being told what to do, even by our own government.
The Constitution and it's Amendments are meant to not only spell out the the rights of the citizens, but mainly to spell out the rights and limitations of the government.

That is a very important point, and one that give me plenty to think about. Thanks.

Quote:

Now that’s not very hospitable. I neither like nor dislike the laws of the USA.
My original intention was to report that this particular one seemed very strange to someone from a UK background (post #266341).
I knew nothing about the issue when I wrote that and next to nothing now.
However, what I have read suggests that this right is not only strange it is also counter-productive.

Quote:

But don’t try to tell us how to live!

I didn’t – and I'm sorry if you interpreted my comments in this way.

Quote:

You don’t understand being an American any more than I understand being from the UK or France.

Absolutely. Hence the value of this type of exchange.

Quote:

..we will always be the best ally you've ever had.

This is most definitely the case…and long may it continue.

Can we get back to the music now?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
mglinert,

Quote:

Can we get back to the music now?

I actually have BIAB fired up in the background. It's been interrupted only by taking a break to participate in this exchange. LOL.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Marc, I think one thing you don't grasp is what is called 'checks and balances' over here.

Whether you trust the government or not, our system was set up so that every part of the government has another part that has just enough power to keep it in check ( or prevent it from abuse). This is what checks and balances are. The constitution and amendments were written (a lot of us believe) to make sure the government could not step on the rights of individuals or states. One of the first things a government would do in order to opress its people would be to disarm them. So making that a basic right tends to keep that problem at bay.

Not trying to be silly, but what keeps the government of the UK from opressing its people at this point? If the government set militia on the streets and said you were all going to pay this tax and give up your homes? This is one of the things the right to bear arms guards against.I am not saying that is ever going to happen in either country, as I tend to believe people are good (in general) but a lot of history tells us otherwise. So we were given this right (and in a sense a responsibility) to be able to keep the government in check, be it state or federal, the constitution says we can not be forcibly disarmed as law abiding citizens.

I am sure accidental gun deaths are more common (obviously) when guns are around. There is a responsibility that goes along with gun ownership. However, in this country if the general public was unarmed, the criminals would not be. UK is an island with pretty port control. We have thousands of miles that border other countries, so illegal guns would be here within the hour of being outlawed. Just as we see weapons being found and used in crimes that are already outlawed (like automatic weapons, etc). Just another reason you will likely never see the gun control work here.
Edited because the window expired and it reverted to an earlier verion when I used the back button to try and post ..

Last edited by rharv; 03/11/10 04:59 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
mglinert,

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Now that’s not very hospitable. I neither like nor dislike the laws of the USA.

That's not meant to be either "hospitable" nor "inhospitable". If I ever visit France, or Spain, or the UK, I won't try to tell them their Constitution is wrong. I may complain about the customs coming in, the food, or whatever, but I won't tell them the way they run thier country is wrong. I'll take it in and try to learn from it.

Nor will I expect them to cater to my American sensibilities or needs. I will be, after all, in THEIR country. As a visitor.

Bob

P.S. I probably won't complain about the food, because I love trying new dishes. Even if I don't like them! But odds are....I will like them.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 03/11/10 04:16 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

..I would welcome anyone and everyone’s views on both my native country (UK) and my adopted country (France)

No problem Marc, I know the history of the Statue of Liberty and going back even further, if it wasn't for France, this country wouldn't even exist. There can be disagreements here and there but compared to the last 220 years or so, they're nothing. As for the Brits, of course we're still the closest allies in the world. And, I lived in Canada for 12 years and outside of the weather loved it. It's all good.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the weather in Canada...NO HOW dare you LOL.

Interesting and good thread. Sober debate is good.

Funny no one jumped in on my analysis of where the gun crime is in the US.

On the other hand due to how the net works I'm not saying anything more than I have bows.

I have no animosity towards anyone who had another view. But it needs to be reasonable. Most people do not understand that most of the Canadians from 1760 to 1800 came from the US. The ran to Canada. Our biggest period of immigration. I'll let you figure that out. At the same time we had abolished slavery. And let those people into the country.

Some make fun of me when I repeat what people on this forum called us. A right wing canuck is a communist in many areas of the US. So be it.

I re-iterate that the US is becoming a fortress. OK, why?

I have been in a lot of bad situations, fallen through burning floors, down stairs to burning basements, flashovers, explosions, but I was the most scared in Flint Michigan, first due to the bad street I drove down, and second because the cops pulled multiple guns on me for running out of gas on I75. I almost pooed my pants. And 2 kids and the wife the car, got handcuffed and searched. Here the cop would have walked up and asked what was wrong. Just watch the show COPS, none of that happens here.

A step back is required. Sanity is sanity. OK so if we extract the gang bangers from the shooting things in Canada, 2 or 3 people die of gunshots every year. And a dozen with knives.

I know you don't believe me, but I don't have keys for my house. Until last year when I got new patio doors, 3 of the 4 doors didn't even lock.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195