#643285 02/21/21 12:03 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

I made a Blues (kind of) and it's called For Emily
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/emily

After a sad song like 'Listen' I felt a need for something spicier. And I even introduced trumpets in it. I never did this before. That makes the song very special ;-).

The story behind it: When I was in Mexico some months ago I promised to make a song for the sister of my sons' girlfriend. But it almost turned into a broken promise. Until now. Although the song is for her, it is not about her. I am curious what she'll think of it.
But I am even more curious what you think of this song...

Let me know what what you think or what I can improve,
Hans

===========================================================
Style and instruments
Style: BROOD.STY (Brood Blues Solist)

RealTracks: 1190:Bas
RealTracks: 2260:Bas
RealTracks: ~673:Orgel, B3
RealTracks: 3334: Guitar, El. rhythm
RealTracks: 2623: Piano, El. rhytm Funk Swing (I had a lot of problems to get the sound of it right. I hoped there would be an update in time to solve these issues. that didn't happen, so I had to improvise)

RealTracks: 2625:Guitar, Bariton El. rhythm
RealTracks: 3333:Guitar, El. Solo
RealDrums [in Song:PopPromiseEv16^1-a: Snare op 4, HiHat , b: Snare, Open HiHat

Keyboard and loops: trumpets
=============================================================
Lyrics:
For Emily
(c) HWBerkhout, feb 2021

I'm working on a melody
I need a song
I have to do this, you see?
It's for Emily

Now I'm getting more or less out of control
At least, it hurts my soul
This song is hiding somewhere in my head
And that worries me, it makes me mad

I'm looking for a melody, I need a song
And I want inspiration to go along
I'm looking for a cool tune, some Blues, maybe?
Need it all for Emily

=small solo=

It's my philosophy; don't blow no balloon
If you want a song, just find a tune
And I need to find it, deep down in me
with some nice words too, for Emily

=big solo=

I'm getting more or less out of control
At least it hurts my soul
This song keeps hiding somewhere in my head
And that worries me, it makes me mad

I'm looking for a band too, to play along
with some nice words about Emily

I'm looking for words too, to sing along
I'm looking for a melody, a real nice tune
It gives me inspiration to get it soon
But I want my melody
be there in time to please Emily

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, there’s a lot to like in this one. The cold open with the guitar and kick is way cool. Very well sung and I enjoyed the production, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool intro Hans. Loved the vibe to this song. Excellent vocal and lyric well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Reminds me of 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago - a song about needing lyrics for a song. grin

It's blues! You can't go wrong by me!

I enjoyed the song, and hopefully Emily will also! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans ...

You make some really nice music. And this one continues that streak. Love the short, abrupt stops along the way. They create a sense of excitement and anticipation. The lyric is really cool and your vocal is perfect. Really really sweet listen! Best to you. Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Hans.
It kept my interest interested :-)
I kept thinking throughout how cool it would be if the girl's name too was "Melody".

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Songwriting is a good subject, nice to hear about the muse behind the story, you have cleverly positioned her in the song.
Great selection of instruments, especially the bassist and solo guitarist. And instrument stops and rests give a nice dynamic impression. Good mix and excellent vocals make the song truly rock.
I can imagine this would be a very good live song too, big crowd singing along the chorus smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I'm looking for a melody, I need a song
with some nice words about Emily"

This is an excellent write Hans.

We are big Stones fans and being US southerners we have always
appreciated Jagger's ability to throw in a southern accent here and there without it sounding unnatural or like a parody.

We feel that on this song you accomplished the same thing as Jagger and we mean that as a big compliment.
Check out their last album Blue & Lonesome for an example.

So....excellent vocal and we love the trumpets.

Great mix too that sets up a nice soundstage on the monitors.

Well done!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
fun tune! Lots of cool articulation. Overall solid composition, vocals. You done justice to the genre smile
One of your best mixes hands down. Two minor things I have noticed. I think solo guitar is a bit dry, compared to vocals and other instruments and I would put some reverb on trumpets too. I think Emily will like it. Good one Hans! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent production. Love the opening. Very soulful vocal performance. Let us know what Emily thinks.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent groove, Hans. Trumpets are a nice touch. A good write about searching for inspiration. One of your best vocals, I think. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I dig it!

I like the driving beat and the singing guitar.

Has Emily heard it?

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans, you never fail to please. This is a fun song to play along with. Good band, and vocal. There is a desperation in the music that fits the lyrics like an old glove. A very good write and performance.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another Berkhout workout!
Good mix Hans.
The halo of vocal processing stands out a little more on this one though...perhaps reduce that a little.
It's a mid 80s British Blues Pop sound and works well with the melody and narrative.
Well done.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Love a good song about song-writing. This has great humor and grit. Production is superb and the sound overall is powerful. I hope Emily gets a real kick out of it. I sure did.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Tom, Scott, David, Alan and Vic (and everyone else),

At first I can tell you 'Emily' was very very pleased with this song. So I did something good there ;-)
Thanks for you comments and compliments on this song. I appreciate it a lot.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hans, there’s a lot to like in this one. The cold open with the guitar and kick is way cool. Very well sung and I enjoyed the production, Tom

Tom, I was hesitating for a time starting the song this way. And I had to do a lot of rendering to get it the way I want it to sound. at those moments I regret I can't play those solo's myself.
But it was nice to sing this way again after the other kind of songs.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool intro Hans. Loved the vibe to this song. Excellent vocal and lyric well done

Scott, like I said to Tom, it wasn't so easy to get the right blend. I tried severall sologuitars in BiaB. And all the time the song changed more and more into this blues. It didn't start that way.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Reminds me of 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago - a song about needing lyrics for a song. grin
It's blues! You can't go wrong by me!
I enjoyed the song, and hopefully Emily will also! laugh

David, yes 'Emily' was very pleased, I heard. I think I don't know the song 6 to 4. I only know 9 till 5. But that can't be compared with this song ;-)

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hans ...
You make some really nice music. And this one continues that streak. Love the short, abrupt stops along the way. They create a sense of excitement and anticipation. The lyric is really cool and your vocal is perfect. Really really sweet listen! Best to you. Take care ...
Alan

Alan, that is a nice compliment from you. At first I had more of those breaks, but then I thought 'less is best...' (normally I'm not that modest in music). and you confirmed that was good, so thanks!

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hello Hans.
It kept my interest interested :-)
I kept thinking throughout how cool it would be if the girl's name too was "Melody".
Vic

Vic, a very nice thought of you. But I think it would have confused me when singing it...

So, thanks again for listening and all your nice comments,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

A real knockout!

A very cool sounding BAND and an excellent vocal.
The chorus is SO catchy!! Loved it. And when the horns joined in it was icing on the cake. There was a sort of Huey Lewis and the News vibe to it then - SO COOL!!! Ear candy.

Might be your best.

Excellent.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
A good rocker with a very good vocal; this style suits that edge in your voice so well.
I like the inspiration: writing your way into a lyric that becomes the song you were looking to write...to please Emily. I hope its well received!
Excellent arrangement!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, I love the blues and you knocked out of the park. The vocal was absolutely fantastic. Great backing tracks and a super mix.
I liked the trumpets, nice touch! The lyrics were also excellent.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello everyone, but especially Janne, Janice and Bud, Misha, Ezekiel and Leon,

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Songwriting is a good subject, nice to hear about the muse behind the story, you have cleverly positioned her in the song.
Great selection of instruments, especially the bassist and solo guitarist. And instrument stops and rests give a nice dynamic impression. Good mix and excellent vocals make the song truly rock.
I can imagine this would be a very good live song too, big crowd singing along the chorus smile

Janne

Hi Janne, thanks for your nice comment. I agree this song needs more than one Emily, but that is a bit difficult these days. So I wrote and sang it on my attic on my own. Then I bothered several people with it, changed the melody and tempo a lot of times and there it was. And 'Emily' was very pleased to my relief. After that I took a rum and coke...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I'm looking for a melody, I need a song
with some nice words about Emily"

This is an excellent write Hans.

We are big Stones fans and being US southerners we have always
appreciated Jagger's ability to throw in a southern accent here and there without it sounding unnatural or like a parody.

We feel that on this song you accomplished the same thing as Jagger and we mean that as a big compliment.
Check out their last album Blue & Lonesome for an example.
So....excellent vocal and we love the trumpets.
Great mix too that sets up a nice soundstage on the monitors.
Well done!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud, well you gave me a really good feeling with your post! At first the compliment on the lyrics, while they didn't took me long to write them. It just came out of my head...
But secondly, at first you heard John lennon in my vocals, but now that got even bigger; Mick Jagger took his place!
Of course I told people here about my promotion, but those dutchies aren't very nice people. They made nasty remarks, start laughing or kept silence for the rest of their visit. Really nasty people. I'd rather stayed with you overthere...
It looks as if I am making fun of your post, but I don't! I know who is telling them and I really appreciated these so nice kind words.
So thanks a lot for writing this.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
fun tune! Lots of cool articulation. Overall solid composition, vocals. You done justice to the genre smile
One of your best mixes hands down. Two minor things I have noticed. I think solo guitar is a bit dry, compared to vocals and other instruments and I would put some reverb on trumpets too. I think Emily will like it. Good one Hans! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha, I missed you for a while. Glad your here again! Thanks for your compliments. You know I come from far with all these mixing issues. And I still have them! But every time I read 'One of your best mixes' it gave me that feeling I'm wandering the right track (!)
About the lead and trumpets; You are the only one mentioning it like this, so you have bad luck! No, what I really want to say is that I had the same feeling when making this song. I added a lot of reverb on the trumpets, to the point I didn't dare to go further. They were much dryer. And with the guitar it was a decision, because I wanted it to sound close.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Excellent production. Love the opening. Very soulful vocal performance. Let us know what Emily thinks.

Hi Ezekiel, Thanks for your kind words. By now you must know Emily was very pleased and proud too! I made a song for her sister once (With love from Mexico), so she wanted one for her too she told me when we were there last november. So finaly I did. They also have a cousin I promised a song. He has to wait a little longer...

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Excellent groove, Hans. Trumpets are a nice touch. A good write about searching for inspiration. One of your best vocals, I think. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Regards,
Leon

Hi Leon, thanks man! I am not fond of trumpets. I never used them in my songs till now. And in the last minute. I was listening to the concept and suddenly an image of KC and the Sunshine band came in my head. Don't really like their songs too, but they made moody songs (and a friend of mine loved it, so I couldn't escape). But their use of trumpets was what I missed in my song. That's how they came in. Still I wasn't very sure and didn't made them so loud. Maybe I should have...

So everyone, thanks a lot for your nice and good critics.
Stay safe and don't miss your vaccine!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200