Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know this is a weird request, and I hope I chose the right forum.
It's not often I ask for help here on the forums, but ..
I've been working on a classical piece for decades, and I can't nail the tympani I want (mainly in depth/timbre and more importantly good tuning).
Anyone know of one? It is such an important part of the piece I'm almost tempted to go record one, but then I'll spend hours tuning/micing it. frown
Below example shows how essential it is to the piece.

http://masteringmatters.com/stuff/Classical210214.mp3

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a couple Orchestral Percussion paks, but for pure Tympani I was fortunate to pick up KH Virtuoso Instrument Tympani. I love it.

Any way I can take your midi and generate some audio tracks??

Dan

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (96.26 KB, 150 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Certainly, give me a few to render/post the MIDI
and thank you smile
MIDI file of tympani track is below
(It's on MIDI channel 1, so will likely hear piano as default if GM, but hopefully helps with softsynth use)

Tympani MIDI

Last edited by rharv; 02/25/21 03:32 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, that was quick. Glad to help if I can.

DAn

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I edited previous post to include link
I certainly don't expect that quick of a turnaround in return (grin), just excited to be able to hear other options.
Thanks again

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, I exported a single track to MIDI file, so not sure how you ended up with 30 tracks .. but if you could render me a sample of that single Tympani track I'd appreciate it.
As far as instrument range, the original MIDI was recorded using a sampler as the sound source (a now non-existent W-30) so I can't really comment on the range for your sound source. If the main line sounds better I can rework the rest.
There are some pretty deep notes in that track I guess. Intentional originally, but can be adjusted if I can hear the result on a given sound source.

As far as room size, I'd guess just generic 'room' setting, but if in doubt, use dry; adding ambient room sound is something I am more than willing to tackle
.. and yes 92 BPM and 4/4 is the base tempo/time sig
It does (in reality) change to 11/8 and such throughout the piece, but those settings should work when rendered to any audio format

Last edited by rharv; 02/25/21 05:13 PM.

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks!
Look forward to it, and probably won't have time to review until weekend, so no rush
Just look forward to hearing the difference, as it is a foundation of the piece

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kontakt. In the orchestral samples.... timpani and you simply play it on the midi keyboard and the notes are according to the keys you use. Simple.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I happen to have a second Tympani as a spare. This is Spitfire BBC (SO) Symphony Orchestra Discover. Kinda night and day different. Not the drums of war at all.
Spitfire BBC SO Tympani

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture 2.JPG (103.38 KB, 90 downloads)

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In your first MP3 it sounds nothing like the original MIDI, sounds like some slapback/delay is happening.
Is it just me?
Every note seems to be triggered 3 or 4 times. (?)

I like the actual 'sound' of the patch, but it appears to be tripling the track somehow in the MP3.
Do you hear it?

The second MP3 you posted does not have this issue, so I obviously I like it better, but what happened with the original?

The tuning seems much better in your samples; I can hear the pitch better.
And yes, it does sound a bit like the drums of war .. the whole piece was intended to convey that, right down to the odd time sections (the actual war) <grin>

I like to refer to it as building tension, and then the confrontation(s), but it ends in victory, so I got that going for me, I guess
I think I wrote it after reading Wounded Knee a long time ago
It's been kind of a personal project for me, since nobody listens to classical anymore, but I wanted to write a classical piece anyway. Personal growth and all that.

Thanks again!

Last edited by rharv; 02/26/21 01:36 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

I like the actual 'sound' of the patch, but it appears to be tripling the track somehow in the MP3.
Do you hear it?

Thanks again!

Ya, I heard something unpleasant and assumed it was the reverb tails being stretched out with the hits coming too quickly. The BBC-SO sounded much dryer. I will revisit the KH and see if I can make an adjustment and tame it down.

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks
Yeah there is some kind of delay/slapback/reverb going on in it

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hold it, cry ..... looks like I had "roll and cresendo" on. (Look at the picture of the setup) That would account for the extra hits. OMG crazy good thing you are not paying for this I would be so embarrassed. Give me a few minutes to redo. I will also removed reverb as much as possible.

Dare I say this is much better?

KH Tympani - Take 2

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Definitely much better this time, and that setting explains what I heard
Thanks again, give me some time to play with these after I download. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday
I am anxious to see how these fit in the mix.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Definitely much better this time, and that setting explains what I heard
Thanks again, give me some time to play with these after I download. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday
I am anxious to see how these fit in the mix.

I have been communicating with Dan via PM. He suggested that I contact you saying if none of his timpani fit then I could use some of my other presets. I have a few other timpani presets from Kontakt's library, Amadeus library, and Kirt Hunter's Diamond library. IMHO Kirt Hunter's virtuoso library is a excellent one but sometimes it doesn't fit well in the mix.

So if you need/want more options feel free to let me know.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I like the KH better than the second (less reverb).
The track you sent is missing sections though. Not sure why. The MIDI track and track(s) I rendered have those sections. I checked to make sure it wasn't a note range issue and those same notes are evident elsewhere in your file.
Did my MID file get goofed somehow?
Like at about 3:40 in below image. My tympani is top track, yours is the bottom one.

missing_tymp.jpg (72.84 KB, 49 downloads)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I now see the specific range of time 3 - 4 mins(see picture below). I wonder if the bass note is acting as a key switch to turn on and off the rendering of the VSTi? I will have to look a bit closer in this specific range of time to see why there is no audio??

Capture2.JPG (39.93 KB, 39 downloads)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I see it. The missing section is exactly at the cut-off for the low end range of the KH-VSTi. There are no sounds associated with tympani for notes below C2. Any ideas on how you would adjust? Dare we lift all the notes an octave?? I think we do....

Capture3.JPG (142.13 KB, 36 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 02/27/21 06:46 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, so I lifted the midi by +12 (1 octave) but only for the latter section not the beginning. This appeared to solve the problem of aligning the midi with the available audio. But only you know if it works for you...

KH Midi Adjust Take 3

Capture4.JPG (105.35 KB, 30 downloads)

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, this seems to have fixed a lot of it.
Let me see what I can do with these .. thanks again

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,167
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184