#643580 02/22/21 08:56 PM
Songwriting
M
markhamil94
Unregistered
markhamil94
Unregistered
M
Okay, so I’ve been writing songs and poems on and off since I was just a little kid. I think I wrote my first proper song when I was 7 years old. Of course it was really bad, but it was a song none the less, so here is my advice on writing lyrics. I wouldn’t plan out what you’re writing about because that puts pressure on you, and you never want forced lyrics. The beauty of music is that it is a great expression form, so whatever needs to come out of you will seep into your music. Just let it flow. If you’re having trouble then brainstorming can help. If you write about whatever you’re feeling, then you can potentially turn that into music. I’m not that great at producing, but if you have good lyrics then people will listen and I can guarantee you that. So good luck songwriters! If you need any help, let me know smile

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 03/02/21 06:44 AM.
#643589 02/22/21 11:36 PM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
I wouldn’t plan out what you’re writing about…
…and no one is forcing you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but some of us have written hundreds of songs by planning the form first, then writing to it. The discipline of knowing what has to go where gives us the freedom to express ourselves.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
I wouldn’t plan out what you’re writing about…
…and no one is forcing you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but some of us have written hundreds of songs by planning the form first, then writing to it. The discipline of knowing what has to go where gives us the freedom to express ourselves.

I couldn't agree more with Mike Halloran on this one. Writing to song form does indeed give you discipline and forces you to be more succinct with your lyrics. It also forces you to focus on writing a "good" hook. I see so many lyrics where they are just rambling and have no connection to an actual melody. Writing music to poetry. The "worst" is when someone wants you to put music to their lyrics. They tend to write way too much, the lyrics are too wordy and can never be sung by an actual singer, they use a lot of simple rhymes at the end of their versus (cat hat, bat, etc....) versus words that can be sung with a rhyming tone (ex: ya telling your girl on the phone; that Marvin says let's get it on; your mama says lord help me please; cause I ain't home yet and it's quarter to three). This snippet written doesn't sound close to rhyming but sung it comes across totally different. Also I differ that if you have good lyrics people will listen. I can only tell you how many songs people sing along with but ONLY KNOW THE HOOK !! Most of them have no idea what the underlying lyrics are saying. Especially dance music. Good lyrics against a crappy melody will not resonate.

#643666 02/23/21 09:22 AM
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Well, this just goes to show that there are as many ways to write as there are writers.

I totally get the let if flow and don't force it train of thought.

On the flip side, there is also the pick a topic and write about it side of things. If you are going to be serious about being a writer, you have to work on things even when they are not flowing and not coming naturally. I have a number of what I think are good songs that were written that very way. Someone gave me a title, someone gave me a story line to write too, or for some reason, the muse just wasn't in the right cosmic position that day but I pushed through it, forcing it if you would, and was determined to write something that day and I did.

In fact, if I sit around waiting for the muse to strike and inspiration to fall from the stars..... I'd never write anything. For me, it mostly doesn't work that way. I have to sit down with the intention to write something. It's at that point that the muse does kick in and I start to write. Sometimes it's decent enough to keep, and other times it's not.

As Ringo said... It don't come easy.

Here's a good example that I recall.... https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11198785

The story is.... I got a tip that a song was needed for a film ending. They gave the story line of the movie and the job was write and record something that would sum up the movie as the leading character stood staring out the window into the rain while his son was playing on the floor behind him as it faded to black.....
Oh.... and the finished song has to be submitted in less than 3 days from now. This is the song I did based on that listing and well within the deadline. The song screener commented that there's no way this was already written since it was way to close to the listing description and that I had to have written it specifically for the listing. Bingo!

Rest of the story.... leading character was working at a pharma company on a drug that can selectively remove certain memories that are traumatic, to help soldiers returning from the war with PTSD. It has some side effects in that it doesn't always work correctly. His wife and oldest son are killed in an auto accident and he decides to use this untested drug...... he's left with the feeling that there's something else.... something that he's missing but it's right on the edge of his memory but he can't seem to shake that feeling....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/23/21 09:33 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
#643670 02/23/21 10:17 AM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Successful artists tend to narrow down their options, which is another way of saying pick a style, pick a genre, know the intended audience, get familiar with what has been done before. Commercial success doesn't necessarily equate with artistic value. Neither does wide distribution. IMHO

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
[quote=Guitarhacker]

"In fact, if I sit around waiting for the muse to strike and inspiration to fall from the stars..... I'd never write anything. For me, it mostly doesn't work that way. I have to sit down with the intention to write something. It's at that point that the muse does kick in and I start to write. Sometimes it's decent enough to keep, and other times it's not"

Good one Herb Hartley :-)

#643674 02/23/21 11:10 AM
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
While both methods can work, I fall firmly into the "writing with a plan & purpose" category. Inspiration is a fickle thing, and I can't afford to wait around for it to strike.

In my career I've approached songwriting the same way I would if I were writing a daily column for a newspaper. You aren't always inspired, you don't always have a great idea to write, but you write something anyway. Interestingly enough, and this is my experience only, I've found that the more often I make myself write, the more often that fickle inspiration thing does actually happen. I get more, and better, ideas from working through and around ideas that aren't as strong. Waiting for that great monumental idea has always been a recipe for writer's block in my experience.

The great thing about songwriting is, there isn't a one-size-fits-all model for it. Everyone has to follow their own path.

#643695 02/23/21 02:17 PM
Songwriting
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Another approach which I use is to make a song by sound/chord experimentation/hacking around on keys or guitar. I come up with or make what is to me an interesting chord progression or musical piece and then the mood of the music helps me to inspire you with words appropriate to the music.

The two basic song writing methods are lyrics first then add music to match the lyrics the other is music first and add words to match the music. Both methods are valid and I am sure some songriters use both methods or even blend the methods.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Hewer
Another approach which I use is to make a song by sound/chord experimentation/hacking around on keys or guitar. I come up with or make what is to me an interesting chord progression or musical piece and then the mood of the music helps me to inspire you with words appropriate to the music.

The two basic song writing methods are lyrics first then add music to match the lyrics the other is music first and add words to match the music. Both methods are valid and I am sure some songriters use both methods or even blend the methods.

That's my experience on all counts. I'd only add that there is a third major method, and that's to write the lyric as a musical component. When it all (except maybe the arrangement) happens at once, it's the most golden.

The vocals and the lyrics they carry is the most important part of the music in a song. They carry the primary melody as well as being an integral part of the rhythm section. Where/when they are sung is even more important than the notes they hit. Just as the mood of the music may help inspire a lyric, the rhythm of the piece helps give a framework for how the lyrics can be written to fit. Conversely, the rhythm of the words can give a framework for how the music can be made to fit. And it's not just about time signature. It's about the groove itself.

Last edited by Tangmo; 02/23/21 02:38 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
#643844 02/24/21 02:16 PM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I found out by accident that I don't need a completed song to start playing it -- rough lyrics, a BIAB backing track, and a stab at a melody (NCH Crescendo is good for this - even free version) is enough for a lead sheet. I say "by accident" because I was wasting time trying to fit the melody to the chord changes. Without being enough of a theorist to know how that is done, I was finding my efforts "needed work," to put it politely. I started laying out the staffs in Crescendo, placing the chord letter above the treble staff, cramming the lyrics in between the two staffs, and entering landing notes. You'd be surprised how close you can nail the melody with the landing notes in place -- I mean, a one, three, four, five, or six minor. If I have any talent at all, it is in the area of improv, so this method works for me. This is probably old hat for many of you. The words and melodies kind of come to you.
To clarify, I mean that I now lay in the melody by following the BIAB track and picking out the notes on the guitar, writing them down on the staff as we go. Sounds old fashioned, doesn't it.

Last edited by edshaw; 02/25/21 10:49 AM.

#644018 02/26/21 02:33 AM
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Songs come to me in many ways. In older songs I've written, normally songs that were inspired from music are in the keys of E, D or a minor key, Am Em or Dm. Songs that began lyrically are almost always in A. But it's my belief and I've learned that songs are deftly hidden like puzzles all around me in plain site. Church signs, billboards, Tv guides and commercials, bulletins, brochures, flyers, book titles and lists all have provided songwriters inspiration for song ideas or lyrics. John Lennon wrote songs from circus posters and newspaper articles. The Bee Gees in a documentary stated they normally wrote a song as if it were meant to be recorded by a specific famous artist.

I wrote a song from a list of song titles on a Forum members web page. I wrote a song from a girl telling me her close friends said she had "sweet eyes" and she wanted me to write a song verse on the spot based on sweet eyes, which I was able to come up with a verse and chorus in that moment. I've written songs as if a specific celebrity artist were intending to record it.

The most successful song of my songwriting career was the incentive of another of my most successful originals. I had just written "I saw her cry", a sad ballad, and was auditioning it to a few friends. One, girl, Linda, who had recently broken up with her boyfriend, commented this new song and the others I had played that day were good songs but they were all sad, heartbroken songs. She asked "Why don't you write a happy song for me?" "Linda" was the result and lyrically, the first verse began with "I tried to write a happy song for you Linda... and the verse ended with " But you spoiled it all, with your broken heart"...

Because of the way our brains uses association to create mental images, pairing three random nouns will always create a vivid mental image that were one to write down that mental image on paper, they can easily write 3/4 or more of a page and also quickly develop a song storyline. It's easily demonstrated - picture in your mind- tree, river, girl -or- book, tree, dress -- somewhat similar but also quite different images appear in your mind. Write a song about the story behind that image in your mind.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
#644026 02/26/21 03:14 AM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Charlie:
When you talk about picking up ideas from billboards, TV spots, posters, etc., you are making reference to some advertising principles that quickly become quite deep;
especially in areas of big ticket sales and political persuasion. Why should composers be left out?
It is one thing to complain about the barrage of images, media and otherwise, such as robo-calls, as nearly all of us do, and another thing to take the analytical approach based on the idea that the public perception of reality is molded by what we see and hear every day. Trying to think of a bold example, such as, if we are at war with a country, you wouldn't want to write a song about what a beautiful place it is.

#644029 02/26/21 03:57 AM
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It would be hard to conjure up a more contextual discussion IMO; i.e, what is your objective? Are you writing on demand? Do you have to produce a song within a given time frame? I would suggest that if so then all of the discipline approaches here would assuredly facilitate those needs. And then there are folks like us who have no formal or informal music training and write for no reason other than fun. Caveat: I am not suggesting more disciplined approaches are not fun! I just grow weary of reading on some discussions here (not this one) that our lives are incomplete because we don’t know music theory smile

A lyric notion most often comes to me when hiking or biking or reading. The ideas go into Apple Notes and when relaxed and in the mood I try to work them into a lyric with a genre in mind. Once the rhymes and a semblance of meter are in place I pass it on to Janice. I’ll suggest the genre and often an artist to her. We share a love of multiple genres. She will then get her old Martin box and work up some ideas. She has melodies running through her head all the time. I will on occasion make some suggestions regarding the chord progression. And our admittedly basic progressions spring from our decades of playing bluegrass, trad country and some blues. Well, we are a bit beyond “three chords and the truth.” Most often I never have much of an idea where she’s taken it until recording time.

Pardon the ole guy ramble ... just wanted to mention our approach with zero suggestions that it is the best or the right way - just seems to work for us.

Bud

#644032 02/26/21 04:36 AM
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< When you talk about picking up ideas from billboards, TV spots, posters, etc., you are making reference to some advertising principles that quickly become quite deep;
especially in areas of big ticket sales and political persuasion. Why should composers be left out? >>

The principles behind a billboard or poster or other media I referenced may or may not influence a song or lyrical idea of a songwriter. I'm not sure what you mean by composers being "left out" because in the example you give that "if we are at war with a country, you wouldn't want to write a song about what a beautiful place it is.", were I perhaps a left leaning anti war activist songwriter, I may actually would use the beauty of that country as a platform for anti war protest in a song...

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
<< Caveat: I am not suggesting more disciplined approaches are not fun! I just grow weary of reading on some discussions here (not this one) that our lives are incomplete because we don’t know music theory smile >>

I spent the "requisite" 12 years studying theory and sight-reading. Once I got into the real world of traditional and public domain music, I found myself returning to where I was before that exercise started; namely, to the simplified approach. If the song is in GMaj, perfectly acceptable melodies and accompaniment lines can be played never
leaving the GMaj scale. After all, isn't this the basis of rock, blues, and country? Keith Richards is one of the "all time great" guitarists. Looking carefully and knowing he is tuned to open chord, note he rarely leaves the big three notes of the scale. He doesn't have to look at the neck, or a lead sheet. Finally, I give you the current
obsession with the minor pentatonic scale.

<<The principles behind a billboard or poster or other media I referenced may or may not influence a song or lyrical idea of a songwriter. I'm not sure what you mean by composers being "left out" because in the example you give that "if we are at war with a country, you wouldn't want to write
a song about what a beautiful place it is.", were I perhaps a left leaning anti war activist songwriter, I may actually would use the beauty of that country as a platform for anti war protest in a song. >>

As I say, it can get deep real quick. I pulled an example that I thought no one would refute smile OK, so my point is the population walks around in a state of belief that their thoughts and opinions are entirely of their own making. This has been demonstrated to be untrue, as most salesmen can
attest. My point is the commercial songwriter looking to his or her own heart for inspiration might also consider asking, "What is it they want, really want? By "left out," I mean, "Why should ad men and propagandists have all the fun?"

#644152 02/27/21 12:25 AM
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Sadly, many folk aren't really interested in lyrics...much of popular music uses common/popular/fashionable sounds/words to carry a melody.
Some genres have narrative themes that are specific to them.
Personally I love lyrics and NEED to read them to feel I've found my way into a song.
I suspect songwriters like lyrics too - the ones in the User Showcase certainly like to have lyrics posted with a song.
The rule is that there there are no rules...well, not ones that should be followed by all writers all of the time at least.
Writing creatively is like brushing your teeth: some skills need to be learnt, applied and then a personal process develops over time...no two people brush the same, nor pass wind the same.
Just as grammar has a set of rules that are followed but ignored at need, (such as beginning a communication with "Okay, so..." which are, normally, used in a response or as a conjunction to an early part of a piece),so does any creative pursuit, craft, task or art.
Personally I would be disinclined to ask the O.P. for assistance until, at the very least, I had evidence of the O.P.'s proficiency and creativity at the task and had suspicions of click bait erased by time due to a developed online rapport with them.
FlyBys are a common thing around this site of late.

Last edited by rayc; 02/27/21 12:28 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #644165 02/27/21 03:54 AM
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
FlyBys are a common thing around this site of late.

Especially one named Mark Hamil (maybe like Star Wars Mark Hamill) that includes a file sharing site URL!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
#644184 02/27/21 06:54 AM
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
In my experience, people who say an unsolicited "if you need any help..." are trying to sell you something....but then again, I'm a natural born cynic.

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I just grow weary of reading on some discussions here (not this one) that our lives are incomplete because we don’t know music theory smile

Bud

Couldn't agree more !!!!!

#644489 02/28/21 05:12 PM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Ah, Bud. But you DO know music theory.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195