Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
MarioD <<< A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available. >>>

I played around with creating sfz files and was able to create one fairly quickly and without knowing what I was doing by finding a tutorial on YouTube and the instructor had a screen shot of a sfz that was larger and more complex than what I had the ability to do myself. I paused the screen and copied his text.
Then I inserted my samples I had made so the file used my samples to sound out. It worked quite well and I had a fairly complex and complete sfz.

MarioD <<<If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no. >>>

Mario, the conversation led me along this train of thought from your quote,"For example if you find a better trumpet..." to Can I make a better trumpet part for my song?

For Example, you have a song with a trumpet RealTrack that you wish it could play a more complex or recognizable riff than what the RT itself can generate. It seems possible to me that using a template such as I did above, I could generate 7 tracks of trumpet RT playing over my project chord chart and take samples from those track generations and insert them into my sfz template thus creating an sfz modeled from my project Chord Chart and RealTrack instrument.

Yes of course. If one is good at slicing audio one could slice individual sections or notes and create an entire new wav file with exactly the notes one wants.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Could I not use a mixture of RT Trumpet and six tracks of midi trumpet creating more complex riffs and chords and mute/unmute between the seven tracks to generate, render and export a WAV mix of my Chord Chart BIAB project creating a custom track to be imported back into my BIAB project as a Performance Track?

I recall a BIAB tutorial video from a few years back where a midi bass riff was used to place a specific riff into a bar replacing the BIAB RT Bass for that bar using this method and it was indistinguishable.

Yes this is possible IF you have a MIDI sound source that is close to the tonal qualities of the RT.

Both of your ideas can be done in a DAW. Depending on the MIDI, RT or wav slicing expertise of the originator all ideas are possible. Soundfonts are the simplest while your ideas are more involved. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Thanks for answering. Maybe a future rainy day project. I've always thought the thousands of hours of recorded audio in BIAB are prime for sampling.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Charlie,
Yes, good ideas. Thanks.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
N
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
N
Hi Will,
I e-mailed Bandlab with that same question when I downloaded Cakewalk some weeks ago.They replied stating that they have a comprehensive range of monetised products alongside Cakewalk,which presumably came as part of the acquisition deal when they took over the remains of the original vendor earlier this year.
The DAW is good as it is the core version of the flagship Platinum version without most of the 3rd party VSTs.

Dell Inspiron 5748
iPad Mini.
iRig HD2.
BIAB,RB 2019,Cakewalk,Auria Pro,Cubasis,Garageband,Sampletank.
Lots of VST,DXi and FabFilter Pro Bundle.
Amplitube,BIAS FX.
Behringer MS20 Monitors.
Several guitars.
Always trying to leave the audience wanting less.
N
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
N
Hi Experts,
Having been using TTS-1 as my default BIAB synth since downloading Cakewalk a few weeks ago,I'm now finding that since Build 610 I only have the choice of Sforzando or SynthFont64.When I locate and select TTS-1.dll,I am informed that this is not a valid plugin.

This is using BIAB 2019 64 bit.

Am I making a basic mistake here,if do what's the fix to get TTS-1 back?

Cheers

Neil

Dell Inspiron 5748
iPad Mini.
iRig HD2.
BIAB,RB 2019,Cakewalk,Auria Pro,Cubasis,Garageband,Sampletank.
Lots of VST,DXi and FabFilter Pro Bundle.
Amplitube,BIAS FX.
Behringer MS20 Monitors.
Several guitars.
Always trying to leave the audience wanting less.
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
RobH,

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) has a few features that can help simplify and declutter the look of the GUI.

One is to right click on the Control Bar and select modules.

Another is to use the Lenses feature.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Lenses.1.html

The program comes with several "lenses" that try to orient the GUI for the tax at hand (tracking, mixing, mastering, etc.) This hides things that aren't particularly relevant to that task. And you can build your own lenses as desired.

Regarding the comparisons with Cubase and StudioOne, I own all three. StudioOne is the best for packaging a CD. Cubase has some great tools for composing with chords and sampling. They all have their strengths. For everyday tasks, I find myself using Cakewalk more than the others. They all have learning curves, but I find I get the best sounding results faster with Cakewalk for most of the things I do. And I don't use it because it is free. I paid for a half dozen versions of SONAR before Bandlab made it a free product.

Regarding the question about business model, Bandlab is an Asian (Singapore) company.The ethos in that part of the world is quite a but different than the dog-eat-dog US economy. Bandlab is privately held, and well funded. This puts the owner in a position to look at the long term game. Bandlab is all about creating music collaboratively and interactively with ultimate platform flexibility. And it is about getting your music noticed and shared. I believe they decided to pick up Cakewalk for several reasons, including:

1) there was a lot of technology that could be shared in Bandlab's other platforms
2) If you are serious about publishing music, you eventually need to get the whole thing into a professional production environment in order to give it a fully polished sound. Bandlab had tools for spontaneous music composition, but they had nothing to produce the final product to commercial standards. Cakewalk filled that hole.

But how do they make money? It is a good question. They say they will not charge for the DAW, but they may charge for services related to the production and publication of the music projects. One of their competitors is SoundCloud, which charges a fortune for file storage. That might be an area for Bandlab to monetize their investment. But note that they also own a large chain of music stores, so they may not require this software to go directly to the bottom line. They may view this as part of the overall atmosphere for their total business.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Thank that certainly helps. I owned and used cakewalk back when it was on floppy disk, an Cakewalk music creator thru 5 versions. Then purchased Sonar X1 and used it. I bought studio one 2.65 pro and used it some due to its comping feature. Cakewalks compungseems equal or even better now as the bounce is one click rather than two. I do like the chord track feature in S1 4. I wish Cakewalk had that feature.

I pulled away for a few years using a program called Multitrackstudios and then spent considerable time in Real Band so I lost focus on Cakewalk and it has changed somewhat. I feel the need to settle into one system and really learn it. Hence the reason I ask these questions. With the plugin developing I can see a good one program environment for my purposes.

Owning both S1 and cake how do they compare in Integration with Melodyne. I know Celemony and Presonus are tight partners does Cakewalk use Melodyne as effectively?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: RobH

Owning both S1 and cake how do they compare in Integration with Melodyne. I know Celemony and Presonus are tight partners does Cakewalk use Melodyne as effectively?

I don't know if Cakewalk is ARA2 ready yet but Studio One, Logic Pro X and Reaper are. Here is a demo of a video showing it in action with Studio One Pro. Demo Video

So what exactly can ARA2 do? Here is a quote from Celemony.

"With ARA 2, the exchange of information between DAWs and plug-ins is even more comprehensive, which makes additional applications possible. The new ARA 2 specification allows, among other things, the simultaneous editing of multiple tracks, the transfer of chord track information between the DAW and the plug-in, seamless clip borders that make the manual setting of crossfades superfluous, Undo interlocking with the DAW, and much else besides.
To profit from the new possibilities, both programs – the DAW and the plug-in – must support the ARA 2 specification. Fortunately, ARA 2 is considerably more flexible and can be integrated more easily into a multitude of DAWs as well as supported by a very wide variety of plug-ins. What features then become available depends, of course, upon the specific plug-in and DAW in each case involved. One pairing may allow only simple sound editing, another perhaps even automatic tempo and harmony adjustments."

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NeilC
Hi Experts,
Having been using TTS-1 as my default BIAB synth since downloading Cakewalk a few weeks ago,I'm now finding that since Build 610 I only have the choice of Sforzando or SynthFont64.When I locate and select TTS-1.dll,I am informed that this is not a valid plugin.

This is using BIAB 2019 64 bit.

Am I making a basic mistake here,if do what's the fix to get TTS-1 back?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

I see you discovered the solution in another thread. For those who have this problem and wish to find a solution, navigate to the link below...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514006#Post514006

...and read Neil's post. These's also a link to a post by Kent in jford's initial post. Kent gives a different insight that could also be valuable.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I have BIAB 2019 with Build 610. Cakewalk TTS-1 is still there in both 32 and 64 versions.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: RobH

StudioOne and Cakewalk both support ARA and have for several years -- I think they both support ARA2 StudioOne has ARA2 implemented, I can't find a specific support statement about Cakewalk. Os it is most accurate to say that the ARA implementations are equivalent, and the ARA2 implementations probably will also be equivalent, but that's a moving target.

I think the Melodyne (original ARA) support is equivalent. In other words, you can operate directly on regions without having the "transfer" the material into Melodyne. ARA2 should get both products the ability to use the multi-track editing in Melodyne.

Steinberg has committed to a patch to Cubase 10 early in 2019 to provide ARA support for Melodyne. This is an important step for the industry and also for Steinberg. Steinberg likes to imagine nobody else mas technology as good as theirs. Cubase has a feature that competes with Melodyne. It is good, but it is not as rich as Melodyne. I am glad to see Steinberg taking a more open, inclusive stance these days. I will upgrade to Cobase 10 as soon as they release that patch. The 10.0 level has been a little buggy for some people.

Last edited by Pumps2; 01/01/19 04:23 PM.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
Veteran
Veteran
Actually Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) supports the ARA 1 standard but has not implemented support for ARA 2.

Questions in the old Cakewalk forum about if or when CbB will support ARA 2 were not answered by the CbB development team. The question has not been asked in the forum.

I believe Sonar Platinum included Melodyne Essentials which is limited to one track at a time. CbB includes the free trial version of Melodyne as an optional add-on. However, once the trial version is installed it is not listed in Windows Programs separately so it can later be uninstalled. CbB can access any third party content you may have accumulated as a Sonar user so if you have Melodyne Essentials or if you have the full version it can be used in CbB.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
N
N
Hi,
I have Cakewalk installed
All cakewalk dxi show up..
Tried to follow all your recommendations to use TTS-1
But in my 2021 biab version I'm still unable to replace coyote dxi with TTS-1
I'm using biab 2021 64 bit
Some clue?

Thanks a lot for your help
Didier

Last edited by nightflying; 02/27/21 09:23 PM.
N
N
Hi,
I found the answer to my question in the forum:
C:\BB\MaxPluginsToScan.txt file limited the number of counted plugins, likely because of a previous crash. Rename this file and reboot to try to scan plugins again

Deleted the file and on reboot the TTS-1 showed in the list of available plugins.
Didier

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: nightflying
Hi,
I found the answer to my question in the forum:
C:\BB\MaxPluginsToScan.txt file limited the number of counted plugins, likely because of a previous crash. Rename this file and reboot to try to scan plugins again

Deleted the file and on reboot the TTS-1 showed in the list of available plugins.
Didier

nightflying,

Excellent troubleshooting. I would not have thought to suggest renaming or deleting the MaxPluginsToScan.txt file.

Thank you for taking time to update this thread with your solution.

Veteran
Veteran
Love me some TTS. This is a really good synth and yep, great sounds.

As a note... the overhead is low.... as PG mentioned.

I heard a song years ago in the cakewalk music forums that was a classical cue for a movie. It was totally, 100% done with TTS and it's default patches. ( not even a sampler ) The creator of this song had 16 unique instances of TTS... one in each of 16 different tracks. AND... each instance was running 16 unique channels with violins, cellos, percussion, horns of different sorts, and all of the orchestral instruments. For a total of 256 different tracks. It ran flawlessly in his computer. And most impressively, it sounded really, really good. I'd have never known it was totally TTS if he hadn't told us.

Yep... it's a polyphonic synth that can run 16 channels of midi with a different instrument and source midi track for each channel. Way cool!

I have a tutorial of sorts on my website that can get you started with the poly aspects of TTS. I used to use this a lot back in my early days. http://herbhartley.com/hh2_edited_slimmer_005.htm scroll down to ADVANCED TTS set up and operation.

Get it if you like a good synth and use it for the default player in BB & RB. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/02/21 06:39 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Does anyone know how to make settings changes in the TTS-1 mixer stick. Seems to be one-way, with only changes in BIAB mixer staying put. Would like to be able to select instruments and use the TTS-1 mixer features.

Also, if someone has a link to TTS-1 setup for map etc in BIAB.

Last edited by Thunderthud; 03/14/21 01:37 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
As far as I know the TTS-1 sound module mixer settings can not be saved as part of the saved settings in a Band-in-a-Box song project file.

However, you can save TTS-1 settings in a TTS-1 performance file. One way to navigate to the performance file save and load buttons is to (1) open the TTS-1 interface, (2) press the System button, (3) press the Options button and (4) select the Options tab.

I've attached a guide to using the TTS-1 I've found very informative and useful.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.png (161.48 KB, 202 downloads)
Access TTS-1 Performance file buttons.
Using TTS-1.pdf (2.01 MB, 9 downloads)
Using the TTS-1 Reference Guide

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
How do I know that I'm using it or have it installed correctly? Do I just choose "General Midi?" My list now includes 128 patches including a helicopter at 126. Does that mean I've done it right?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: doogiet
How do I know that I'm using it or have it installed correctly?.

Once you have TTS-1 installed, open Band-in-a-Box.
Once BiaB is open press Ctrl+E (Control and the E key at the same time) to open the program settings, also known as preferences.
Select the "MIDI Driver" button.
Make sure your settings agree with the four settings highlighted in the screen shot below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (76.61 KB, 146 downloads)
BiaB MIDI Driver settings for TTS-1.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200