Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm at a loss here.

I have a song that has a trombone as the melody instrument ... or claims it does. It's in the mixer, it's in the notation. There's no instrument embedded in the MIDI events.

BIAB plays a piano.

I've tried re-entering the trombone, I've tried using the GM2 trombone 2, I've tried removing the MIDI instrument and then setting the trombone, I've tried changing styles.

BIAB still plays piano.

I've tried soloing the track, BIAB plays piano including for the metronome (OK).
If I mute the melody track, the melody no longer plays, as I would expect expect.

I've tried muting some or all of the other tracks.
I've tried a variety of other instruments

BIAB plays piano.

Am I being dumb or is there something very wrong? It should not be this hard to set a melody instrument.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Post the song for us to take a look. But first, try Options, Return to Factory Settings, Most.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Ya, for sure, what Matt said, post the song so we can ty it. Some midi has embedded code which sets a specific patch (instrument) as the song plays - you therefore have to remove that if you want to set it to something different. Its a midi thing.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
If the Return to Factory settings does not give you what you want, there probably is a MIDI command on the melody ytrack telling your MIDI sound source to play a piano.

If that's the case, open the song in RealBand, let RealBand fully load. Click on the melody track to highlight it, then click on Event List in the middle of the top line of RealBand. This will open up a listing of all MIDi events in that track including program changes, notes, continuous controls, etc.

At the very top of the Event List look for an event called Program with a number following it...if it's General MIDI it will be Program 1 if its an acoustic grand you're hearing.

Nonetheless, delete that line using the MIDI Event List. Then do a file "Save AS' and save the song as a BIAB file (X.mgu). Then open up the song in BIAB and see if that patch has been deleted.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Post the song for us to take a look. But first, try Options, Return to Factory Settings, Most.

Doing the Factory Reset->Most made no difference.

I guess I send it by email?
I've never done that to PGM, so my apologies in advance if I do it the wrong way. I'll try "email reply" first. If that fails, I'll email support with a note.

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Ya, for sure, what Matt said, post the song so we can ty it. Some midi has embedded code which sets a specific patch (instrument) as the song plays - you therefore have to remove that if you want to set it to something different. Its a midi thing.

There's no instrument selection in at least the first few dozens of midi events. I didn't look right through, but can if it may help.

Veteran
Veteran
Gordon, you just have to attach it here in the forum via the file manager at the bottom of the Posting.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, when you hit Reply, you'll see File Manager (Total files 0). It is slightly blue, and it's actually a link. Click on File Manager.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
I have had the same problem - it was due to the midi channel not being selected.

midi channel was set to 0 and my tts1 (edirol hypercanvas)defaulted to piano. maybe the OP has the same problem. it was easy to fix in RB but i'm not sure how to do it in BIAB.

my old thread is here but in the meantime maybe someone could help the OP select a midi channel? mike head posted that this would happen on all GM synths.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=78794&Number=556521#Post556521

Last edited by Bob Calver; 03/02/21 11:55 PM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Gordon, you just have to attach it here in the forum via the file manager at the bottom of the Posting.

Ah, OK.

Apparently that doesn't appear for the Quick Quote that I was using.

Veteran
Veteran
Ya, the midi channels are miss-aligned. Although it all played fine with my VSTSynthfont.

So by default BAIB puts the Melody on channel 4 and Piano on Channel 3. But this song has the Melody on Channel 3. Now VSTSynthfont was smart enough to recognize this and played the Trombone correctly through the whole song. But I suspect the midi synth you are using is sending this to channel 3 with a piano default.

May need a more mididiot to explain this situation. I would say BIAB has mixed channels 3 and 4, but I hate to pull that trigger to fast. Although, I believe this same issue was seen in the recent past and had been fixed. Hard to keep up with the changes. But perhaps others can explain what exactly is going on here.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (156.77 KB, 162 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 03/03/21 04:39 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
... But this song has the Melody on Channel 3.

I found the above MIDI settings and see the same data (at least at the relevant points), but I'm a little puzzled by your comment above.

If I use Melody->Edit Melody Track->Step edit melody, that appears to show the melody on channel 6, not channel 3. Either way, how best cam one change the melody from wherever it is at present to channel 4, please?

I guess lower-right window in your image, showing channel 3, is the VSTSynthfont plugin.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
... But this song has the Melody on Channel 3.

If I use Melody->Edit Melody Track->Step edit melody, that appears to show the melody on channel 6, not channel 3.
Ya, I see the channel 6 designation in the file, but I have a strings patch in VSTSynthfont on channel 6 and trombone on channel 3 is playing. Confusing??

Either way, how best can one change the melody from wherever it is at present to channel 4, please?
I wish I could tell you... we need someone to set us both straight. Otherwise, BIAB is messin with us both.

I guess lower-right window in your image, showing channel 3, is the VSTSynthfont plugin.
Yes.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Ah, yes it is.

Veteran
Veteran
Come on Mike H. or Mario or VT or Matt or Noel or some other mididiot. You need to come to our rescue here. grin

Veteran
Veteran
Here is your file in the BIAB-VST. It identifies the Melody track on channel #4 (where it should be) and which I believe is at least part of the problem versus over in BIAB which has it on Channel #3.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture2.JPG (62.47 KB, 125 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Well, I downloaded the song and it plays fine. The trombone plays the melody, and Channel 4 (Melody) is correctly set to patch 58 for trombone.

[I muted the horn medley, as it just cluttered up things.]

Note that I'm using a hardware MIDI synth, a Roland Integra-7, if that helps.

Gordon, what is playing your MIDI sounds? The Korg? The Kawai? If so, have you found and loaded the correct patch map for it? These are not GM keyboards.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Matt, appreciate your input. Issue may be with the patch map as you suggest. My VSTsynthfont player identified the melody on Midi Channel #3, but played the trombone patch on it fine.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Dan,

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Gordon, what is playing your MIDI sounds?

BIAB's GM instrument on whatever synth it was using(!)

I tried swapping to Sforzando and then the sound changed to the instrument I chose on it. I tried swapping back to GM, but it doesn't swap, it keeps playing Sforzando. I even tried "no midi patch" between choices, but although the L/H tab of the mixer shows these changes, the description continues to show Sforzando and that continues to play.

I guess(!) that BIAB was previously set to CoyoteWT. Changing to that pops up a window that shows a piano default on every channel. I tried changing ch3 to another instrument and ch6 to another instrument, but Sforzando continues to play.

I can patch to the Kawai. The reason I generally don't is that the notepad PC at the Kawai is too fiddly for anything more than minor tweaks. I rarely use the Korg, it's in its bag in the corner.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 03/03/21 07:46 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert

I tried swapping to Sforzando and then the sound changed to the instrument I chose on it. I tried swapping back to GM, but it doesn't swap, it keeps playing Sforzando.

Is the way the synth is used different between the Preferences->MIDI_Driver choice and choosing Sforzando (or whatever) from then mixer? I do find BIAB all a bit of a maze.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 03/03/21 07:52 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe someone can check if there are any MIDI CC events that are forcing a specific MIDI channel. Sometimes that can cause issues until you remove the particular event.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195