every night it's just the same thing
can't forget or forgive

I thought you'd see
the only thing I want
is me and you
Why's that so hard to do?
I would never have guessed
this is all we'd have left

Like the dark skies before the frozen rain (dark skies, frozen rain)
Or a moth to the flame (we are drawn to the flame, to the flame)
We keep travelling on this empty road (I set my eyes on a new road)
Nothing ventured or gained (I'll set my sights for Jerusalem)

Seems to me
all we really know (all I know)
is not to let go (not let go)
We won't let it go (don't let me go)

Only dark skies (dark skies)
and endless pouring rain (bring endless rain)
Nothing ventured or gained (nothing gained)

The lights are fading at the end of the show (lights fade at the end of the show)
like a dying fire's glow (the fire's dying glow)

If you will be the one to catch me
I'll be the one who lets go

I've spent all this time (I've been waiting)
waiting for a love (waiting for a love, a love)
who would make his heart my home (who is my home)
After all this time (all this time)
and all this love we shared (all we shared)
why do we feel alone? (why do we feel, feel alone)

You and me (you, me)
with pieces of our hearts (pieces of our hearts)
that won't fit right (won't fit right)

The Band
Style is _CEDAR.STY (Cedar Woodblock Acoustic Praise)
RealTracks in style: 1255:Bass, Electric, PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1277:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopUpliftA-B Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3443:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritPsycFunky Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 2500:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 (CustomFX)
RealTracks in song: ~1677:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:PraiseWorshipShine-01-SCHt,SRCy [Multi]

Vocals: Synthesizer V, Eleanor Forte (Lite)

The Effects Chain
Vocals: Greg Wells VoiceCentric, Raum reverb
Bass: Blockfish, BootEQ Mk II
Drums: Sunset Sound Studio (Live Room), Scheps Omni Channel Strip
Strummed Guitar: Scheps Omni Channel Strip
Lead Guitar: Scheps Omni Channel Strip, JS Tremolo
Electric Guitar: JS Tremolo
Piano: BlockFish, ReaEQ
Master: Sunset Sound Studio (Live Room), Ozone Imager 2, Lurssen Mastering Console

The Blah Blah Blah Part
This song started out _CEDAR Demo. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea to use a drumkit with so much percussion without having some control over it, but whatever. Lesson learned?

The goals I had for the song was to use the female Synthesizer V vocalist on the lead, and to leave more room for a guitar solo.

I applied the standard "add more major 7th chords" process to the original chord progression, along with some minor-ish segments. A major 7th section was added for the guitar solo.

I rendered a backing track in BiaB and exported it to Synthesizer V and in the piano roll mode entered a bunch of notes until I had something resembling a melody.

Then I started trying to fill in the notes with words, which was a long and meandering process.

I've been watching The Republic of Doyle, and there was the line along the lines of "Life's too short to live with someone who hates you.", which was probably the genesis for the of the song. It certainly wasn't a straight-forward process. Lyric writing for me rarely is.

The theme of "letting go" seems to be popping up in my lyrics lately. Sorry for repeating myself, but I'm just happy to have any lyrics.

Eventually, the lyrics got filled in. One nice thing about using synthetic voices is that it's easy to go back and change lyrics. There were a lot of rewrites, especially once I'd actually honed in the idea. The counter-line was written along the way, with a lot of back-and-forth between the original lyrics.

In doing the mix, there was a bit of duplication between instruments. For example, the piano and strummed guitar basically served the same function, as did the arpeggiated 12 string and electric guitars. The basic mix was pretty easy to do, but then my son worked on it, and it got overly compressed.

I had trouble getting enough "punch" out of the drums until I used the Sunset Sound Studio "Live Room" setting to put it an actual space. I also added the same effect to the master buss to try to glue everything together.

Some of the Synthesizer V voicebanks are "trained" to emulate the pitch variations of an actual singer. The Eleanor Forte (Lite) voicebank doesn't have that option yet, but he Saki AI (Lite) does. So I swapped the voice to the Saki AI (Lite) voice, applied the "Auto Tuning" option, and then switched back to the original Eleanor Forte (Lite) voice. The effect was pretty subtle, but it seemed to work pretty well. There were some places where the result sounded glitchy, so I edited or removed those segments.

I didn't to too much tweaking of the vocal beyond that, but I did have to do a bit of work to make sure the pronunciation was as clear as the phoneme set would allows.

Based on feedback on prior songs, I've bumped the volume of the bass a bit. The drums are also fairly loud - perhaps they need to come down a bit. Feel free to let me know what you think of the mix.

As always, comments of any sort are welcome. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David & Son,

First things first... LOVE the drum sound. Loud and Proud as they should be for a song like this.

The bass and piano work perfectly with them (drums). Really nicely mixed/balanced. (and I'm hearing percussion that I don't see listed - a nice addition - wood block?)

The guitar solo sounds good.

A nice write. Interesting lyrics throughout - especially the "choruses".

The interweaving of vocals is ASTOUNDING! Not an easy thing to do - an exceptional job. And at that point, the voices sound really good together.

Nice drop at the end.

The mix is SUPERB! This really POPS through my speakers.

Several listens. Worth it.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The best yet of these so far I think, David. Either you are getting better working with those synth vocals or they are starting to grow on me!

Drums sound great! I would have said "loud and proud" but I see floyd beat me to it wink

Entire mix sounds fabulous through my studio 'phones.

Good song, enjoyed.

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Fabulous. Loved the whole thing.

When I looked at the number of rhythm instrument RTs in the list, I was expecting
the mix to sound cluttered and confused, but not a bit of it. Everything was clear
and the rhythms were working together like a well balanced machine.

Something about the female voice, slightly unreal but haunting, really brought me out
in goosebumps and made me go back and play the track again straight away.

It has the feel of one track from a "concept" album - as though it's part of a
story still to be told. Fascinating.

Wouldn't change anything. Your best yet.

ROG.

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
First things first... LOVE the drum sound. Loud and Proud as they should be for a song like this.

The bass and piano work perfectly with them (drums). Really nicely mixed/balanced. (and I'm hearing percussion that I don't see listed - a nice addition - wood block?)

Hi, floyd jane. A nice start to my morning seeing you as the first post!

It means a lot to get your approval on the drums. laugh

The additional percussion is actually baked into the RealDrums, which makes mixing it... interesting. It would have been nice to have some variations to the track that didn't have the percussion, but that wasn't an option with these tracks.

Quote:
The guitar solo sounds good.

I wasn't sure there was going to be a '70's guitar sound to match what I had in my head, but I finally found just the thing. It took a bit of tweaking to get it to set right in the mix, but the result was exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
A nice write. Interesting lyrics throughout - especially the "choruses".

The interweaving of vocals is ASTOUNDING! Not an easy thing to do - an exceptional job. And at that point, the voices sound really good together.

I'm glad that the lyrics worked. I was tweaking them throughout the mixing process, up even past the final mix, as I noticed lyrics that didn't work. For example, I was typing out the lyrics getting ready to post the song here when I noticed the I'd intended to complete a line as:

maybe we got tired of waiting
for us to change

but actually ended it with a lyric that no longer connected the two lines together: blush

maybe we got tired of waiting
can't forget or forgive

Fortunately, it was super easy to jump into Synthesizer V, change the lyric and re-render the vocals.

I know the last couple of songs have had the same sort of "interweaving" vocal effect, but it's really fun to do, and I love the sound. For prototyping counter lines, I think this is where it's really nice to have synthetic voices. They don't complain about last minute changes to lyrics or melodies. wink

Quote:
The mix is SUPERB! This really POPS through my speakers.

Several listens. Worth it.

Awesome! I'll let "& Son" know. It really helps to have another pair of ears to bounce things off, especially since we'll often listen for different things.

The first thing he noticed was the snare and the lack of mids on the drums, and then getting the bass to sound like what I thinks a bass should sound like. I don't have the same sensitivity to gaps in frequencies, which is why Izotope is making a ton of money spectral balance tools to people like me.

He handed back a re-mixed version that was overly compressed, because ear fatigue had set in. Dialing everything down brought back the headroom, and putting an impulse response on the drum also brought in a lot of mids and lows.

Thanks for your encouragement! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
The best yet of these so far I think, David. Either you are getting better working with those synth vocals or they are starting to grow on me!

Hi, Dave.

Thanks, although I suspect it's the latter. wink

Ironically, throughout the composition process, I was thinking it was my worst song so far, but since I'd committed to it, I needed to finish it up. Fortunately, the lyrics finally fell into place and I got the melody and counter-line to work a bit better.

But funny how you can't tell when you're so close to it.

Quote:
Drums sound great! I would have said "loud and proud" but I see floyd beat me to it wink

Entire mix sounds fabulous through my studio 'phones.

Good song, enjoyed.

Glad to hear it, thanks! smile

I appreciate you stopping by to listen and comment.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Fabulous. Loved the whole thing.

Thanks, ROG.

I'm really happy that it translated well to other people's speakers/headphones. And that you liked the song. smile

Quote:
When I looked at the number of rhythm instrument RTs in the list, I was expecting
the mix to sound cluttered and confused, but not a bit of it. Everything was clear
and the rhythms were working together like a well balanced machine.

Good to hear! I do tend to put in a lot of instruments, and this time I made an effort to stick with only a small number - at least, small number for me.

I think I mentioned that some of the instruments were playing similar roles, so that made it easy to decide to swap one out when another was playing. Plus, I really hate having a song sound the same all the way through, and staggering the instruments is an effective (and easy) way to do that.

Quote:
Something about the female voice, slightly unreal but haunting, really brought me out
in goosebumps and made me go back and play the track again straight away.

I think the vocal straddles the line between "overly pitch corrected" and "Vocaloid", which isn't a bad place to be. It's not quite human, but I think it is very musical. Most importantly, it isn't so distracting that it detracts from being able to pay attention to the song.

Quote:
It has the feel of one track from a "concept" album - as though it's part of a
story still to be told. Fascinating.

Wouldn't change anything. Your best yet.

Cool, I'll consider it done and start working on a new track of that "concept" album you mentioned.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and post. laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David,

Good research work. Astonishing the result, in good. The arrangement is not overloaded with the sound tracks you list. This composition must have taken you many hours ? Very interesting this composition. Well done

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias
JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi Dave, This is really well-done!

First of all... the drums sounds perfect in the mix, so don't even consider turning them down... smile

I like the vocals - especially in the chorus... sounding very well there!

Sometimes I wish you would publish a song without telling us it is Eleanor, because if you listen to modern music and the so-called "popular songs" these days, many of them use a heavy amount of pitch-correcting software (like autotune), which sometimes makes it quite hard to hear if it is a real singer or a "vocaloid" performance. I think you would be able to fool us if you didn't tell us upfront that it is Synth V. wink

Anyway, I think this track is the best you have published so far with Eleanor... I liked it a lot!

Will

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done. You are really getting the hang of that program (you already have the hang of BIAB). The "female" really belted out your superb lyrics. This sounds creepy, I know, but she sounds rather sweet. I'm not sure who did the male vocals (you or the program), but, either way, they harmonized with the female well. Cool song. Good music by the old stand by band too.

Last edited by jptjptjpt; 03/01/21 03:53 PM.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Good research work. Astonishing the result, in good. The arrangement is not overloaded with the sound tracks you list. This composition must have taken you many hours ? Very interesting this composition. Well done

Hi, Derochette.

Thanks!

I did spend a lot of time working out the melody/counter line. But most of that was because I during the mixing, I kept getting ideas of changes that I could make. The nice thing about using synthetic voices is that it's really easy to make changes to a vocal line, whether that's the pitch, the lyric, or some expressive parameter.

Thanks for listening and commenting! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
First of all... the drums sounds perfect in the mix, so don't even consider turning them down... smile

Hi, Will.

Noted! laugh

Quote:
Sometimes I wish you would publish a song without telling us it is Eleanor, because if you listen to modern music and the so-called "popular songs" these days, many of them use a heavy amount of pitch-correcting software (like autotune), which sometimes makes it quite hard to hear if it is a real singer or a "vocaloid" performance. I think you would be able to fool us if you didn't tell us upfront that it is Synth V. wink

Yeah, I think that's more a function of getting used to people overusing Autotune (guilty!), although I think Synthesizer V also sounds better than Vocaloid.

I've heard some Synthesizer V songs that have managed to be emotional and expressive. So there's certainly capability for the singing to be more expressive. That's something worth exploring a bit more.

Quote:
Anyway, I think this track is the best you have published so far with Eleanor... I liked it a lot!

Glad to hear it! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well done. You are really getting the hang of that program (you already have the hang of BIAB). The "female" really belted out your superb lyrics. This sounds creepy, I know, but she sounds rather sweet.

Hi, Sean.

Yeah, I also hear autotuned vocals as unnatural, but "sweet". I think there's an effortlessness to the singing, as well as a purity of pitch that triggers that response.

I haven't had to do a whole lot to "tune" the voice, other than try to get it in a good range, and adjust the phonemes for "American English" pronunciation. Synthesizer V sounds surprisingly good "out of the box", so to speak.

Quote:
I'm not sure who did the male vocals (you or the program), but, either way, they harmonized with the female well. Cool song. Good music by the old stand by band too.

That was also also the same program. There's a "Gender" parameter that automatically adjusts the position of the formants and some other attributes, and it does a pretty good job.

And yes - the band certainly earns their money. wink

Thanks for commenting! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This track really sounds great! Your mix is exceptionally good! It's clean with everything articulated and separated. The song has a really inviting sound to it keeping the listeners attention all the way! I agree with Dave in that these songs of yours just keep getting better! Take care, T

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You're really getting you hands around that synth vocal stuff.

Another great example of what can be done with some creativity and talent.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,
Without doubt, this is the best synth vocal I`ve ever heard- quite amazing on the chorus.
A flawless production; you combine Biab with other virtual instruments in a very professional way... but,the best news is, at the songwriters level, you are working with very good lyrics and structure.
I enjoyed this very much!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool song. It just blows me away how good that vocaloid is. I can only imagine how much work it is to put this together. Very well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David ...

You and your son delivered again! As Scott said, I can't begin to imagine the amount of work you put into this. I love the harmonies of the vocaloid. Also, that strong percussion is super. I always like drums and percussions to be prominent ... with very few exceptions. Congrats and a difficult mission well executed. Some really good listening here. Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Wow! The first few moments I wouldn't have known the vocals were synth had I not known. (If that makes any sense). I think your female synth is inching ever closer to being "real." The male synth not too bad either. I'm impressed.

The instruments sound good. Mix is good.

Really enjoyed the tune!

Bryan

BryMusic

SoundCloud
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
This track really sounds great! Your mix is exceptionally good! It's clean with everything articulated and separated. The song has a really inviting sound to it keeping the listeners attention all the way! I agree with Dave in that these songs of yours just keep getting better!

Hi, Torrey.

I appreciate the encouragement!

The next challenge (in addition to continuing to write) is to get things to sound good in my car stereo. I played my last couple mixes there, and the results were pretty disheartening.

Thanks for having a listen. smile

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199