Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Some semi-random thoughts on the update process.

I believe PG have a number of beta testers and I suspect that they're all very experienced BIAB users, who know there way around the program and know how things should work. That's a two-edged sword, because they also know what _not_ to do so that they can keep themselves out of trouble. It's very likely that, probably subconsciously, they're avoiding bugs into which we less familiar folk can crash. In a past business we had a guy who was, almost pathologically, deliberately naive when testing software. He would do the craziest "why would anyone do that?" things, but he found loads of bugs.

Quite a lot of complex software packages have multiple risk-level option, e.g., Development, Beta, Release Candidate' Release and Long-Term-Support. That is more work to maintain, but not as much more as one might imagine. Whenever I finish a bug-fix in a mature version, typically I compare the old with the newer and propagate that same fix when I can. Unusually for me (I'm a Unix/Linux man), I use WinWerge for that as I find it extremely friendly to use.

As a user, I generally avoid getting the latest new release, as there are almost always lots of bugs. I have no desire to inflict the pain upon myself; let others do it. Either they don't mind the pain, or they'll learn in time.

In my few updates with BIAB, they've usually seemed to me to be pretty shockingly buggy. But still I was tempted in by the upgrade offers. I'm of the opinion that if your new release is likely to have many bugs, then encouraging large early uptake seems like a good way to bring a tidal wave of bug reports, anger and frustration upon oneself.

One of the things over the years in my own electronics and software work, that has both frustrated me and satisfied me, is the comment "Oh, that's really easy, even I could have done that", when one has spent many hours, days, weeks, thinking very hard about _how_ to make it so easy. I try to make things consistent everywhere, even in places where I think the user will likely never go, because if they do, the product will likely behave as they expect. I personally am of the opinion that, longer term, it also actually saves _me_ time, frustration and effort.

The best systems tend to feel like there was one system architect and one vision. It doesn't matter if it's really quite a large team, provided they think together and act together. BIAB feels like one or a few people are given things to deal with and they do so in near isolation. I suspect that is actually _not_ the case, but it feels like it.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Gordon, good points, balanced and well articulated.

Some may disagree with me, that's fine, but the 2021 version needed more development work before the December release date. That fact is evidenced in the plethora of bug-fix updates that have ensued in the following 12 weeks, I think an average rate of about two per week.

The delivery model and alpha test cycle is far from ideal, leaving it up to beta testers to find and report the majority of the real problems.

I like the product, but that is not an excuse for delivering an unsatisfactorily tested system with unproven/broken functionality just so it is in time for Xmas.

There. After that I'll probably will never get any of the bugs I find and report fixed ever again. That will be my punishment for speaking objectively but perhaps negatively as seen by some.

However, still remaining objective, imagine purchasing any other mature product and being notified from the manufacturer that updates to the product were required no less than 25 times over the next 12 weeks. No. Can't imagine that? Neither can I. I don't think my comments will change anything though.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Good points Gordon and Video Track.

I am of the impression that PG music feel that the biggest and most attractive offer for an upgrade for new and existing customers is to tempt them with a new version of biab with 50 new features, and further more to code is so that you can't have the new realtracks unless you install the new biab, though it may be buggy as hell.

This may not be the way forward at all, as some people on here including myself would buy the the new realtracks for the same price, but would like to have that option of running the new realtracks with the last years stable version as well.

That way everyone could beta test the new version without feeling totally frustrated about the bugs, as the new realtracks would run fine on the old stable version.

I am trying not to be negative here, as I really love this software, but just giving a few thoughts as to how it might be improved for everyone.

Last edited by musiclover; 03/05/21 06:10 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Some may disagree with me, that's fine, but the 2021 version needed more development work before the December release date.

190 "Fixed" statements so far since that initial 2021 release tends to support that.
There were 366 over the 2020 release ... curious number during a leap year :-)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This year has been more challenging for fixes, true.

Those of you making good suggestions like marketing ideas, should make a new post in the Wishlist. The developers will see it there and we users can add support.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I am not a coder so I may be way off base here but IMHO the problem stems from the fact that they are using old code and by trying to accommodate some of the user suggestions the code has a propensity to be broken. Its like putting band aids on top of band aids on top of band aids.

I think the staff does a hell of a good job fixing the broken code and I thank them for doing that. But it takes time for that to happen. IIRC this is the only program that I have had for a long time that has not had a complete rewrite. I think that time is now. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
... Its like putting band aids on top of band aids on top of band aids.

I think the staff does a hell of a good job fixing the broken code and I thank them for doing that. ...

Indeed. I wasn't criticising the efforts and fixes. I do though think it may be time to take stock and have some team meetings.

Something else I've learned over the years, generally with software, is that occasionally and with with hindsight, I'll conclude that there was a better way to have done something. What's interesting is that I've quite often started over and complete the better way in a tiny fraction of the time the original took. Hindsight and experience together can move mountains.

I can also think of some occasions where we've said "It's a pity we didn't do that earlier, but it's too late now", only to find ourselves saying exactly the same thing further down the line.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I think PG are doing a great job but as BIAB gets more complicated it gets harder to fix. RB doesn't need anywhere near as many fixes and it is much less complicated. And once you've roughed out a song in BIAB, open it in RB and it does just about everything BIAB does - and some things it does better.

But I wish they would fix the problem of RB not generating loops.......

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Some semi-random thoughts on the update process.

I believe PG have a number of beta testers and I suspect that they're all very experienced BIAB users, who know there way around the program and know how things should work. That's a two-edged sword, because they also know what _not_ to do so that they can keep themselves out of trouble. It's very likely that, probably subconsciously, they're avoiding bugs into which we less familiar folk can crash. In a past business we had a guy who was, almost pathologically, deliberately naive when testing software. He would do the craziest "why would anyone do that?" things, but he found loads of bugs.

Quite a lot of complex software packages have multiple risk-level option, e.g., Development, Beta, Release Candidate' Release and Long-Term-Support. That is more work to maintain, but not as much more as one might imagine. Whenever I finish a bug-fix in a mature version, typically I compare the old with the newer and propagate that same fix when I can. Unusually for me (I'm a Unix/Linux man), I use WinWerge for that as I find it extremely friendly to use.

As a user, I generally avoid getting the latest new release, as there are almost always lots of bugs. I have no desire to inflict the pain upon myself; let others do it. Either they don't mind the pain, or they'll learn in time.

In my few updates with BIAB, they've usually seemed to me to be pretty shockingly buggy. But still I was tempted in by the upgrade offers. I'm of the opinion that if your new release is likely to have many bugs, then encouraging large early uptake seems like a good way to bring a tidal wave of bug reports, anger and frustration upon oneself.

One of the things over the years in my own electronics and software work, that has both frustrated me and satisfied me, is the comment "Oh, that's really easy, even I could have done that", when one has spent many hours, days, weeks, thinking very hard about _how_ to make it so easy. I try to make things consistent everywhere, even in places where I think the user will likely never go, because if they do, the product will likely behave as they expect. I personally am of the opinion that, longer term, it also actually saves _me_ time, frustration and effort.

The best systems tend to feel like there was one system architect and one vision. It doesn't matter if it's really quite a large team, provided they think together and act together. BIAB feels like one or a few people are given things to deal with and they do so in near isolation. I suspect that is actually _not_ the case, but it feels like it.

Gordon, these are brilliant insights! I hope PGM reads this and takes it to heart!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Gordon, good points, balanced and well articulated.

Some may disagree with me, that's fine, but the 2021 version needed more development work before the December release date. That fact is evidenced in the plethora of bug-fix updates that have ensued in the following 12 weeks, I think an average rate of about two per week.

The delivery model and alpha test cycle is far from ideal, leaving it up to beta testers to find and report the majority of the real problems.

I like the product, but that is not an excuse for delivering an unsatisfactorily tested system with unproven/broken functionality just so it is in time for Xmas.

There. After that I'll probably will never get any of the bugs I find and report fixed ever again. That will be my punishment for speaking objectively but perhaps negatively as seen by some.

However, still remaining objective, imagine purchasing any other mature product and being notified from the manufacturer that updates to the product were required no less than 25 times over the next 12 weeks. No. Can't imagine that? Neither can I. YMMV. I don't think my comments will change anything though.

Excellent points VT! And you always have positive, constructive ideas to offer. I hope someone at PGM is listening!

Dropping the product on the beta testers with just a few days to test is a joke. Sorry but call it what it is. If the product were highly stable that might be excusable but clearly it is not. So the "beta test" is of marginal value.

The thing that upsets me the most is breaking features that worked before and then not prioritizing the fixing of them. I have songs that no longer work and I have to run two separate versions of BIAB because of this.

And your final point is the kicker. I buy and use TONS of software from Adobe CC to MS Office to development tools and other music software. Nothing I have ever used has this many bugs and such a broken new release strategy.

As I like to end all of my rants with, the RealTracks are amazingly brilliant! PGM have done something extraordinary and ground breaking! It is something that should go into the record books in the history of music software! It is really that great! I just wish they would fix the software.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
I think PG are doing a great job but as BIAB gets more complicated it gets harder to fix. RB doesn't need anywhere near as many fixes and it is much less complicated. And once you've roughed out a song in BIAB, open it in RB and it does just about everything BIAB does - and some things it does better.

But I wish they would fix the problem of RB not generating loops.......

Bob, I agree they try very hard. And they do a great job on the RealTracks. But this 2021 release is far short of a "great job"! RB doesn't need all the fixes because 1) I suspect very few BIAB users even use it and 2) they don't overload it with 50 new features in every release.

One final point, you make it sound like RB is the next logical step from BIAB in song production but that is just not the case at least for me. RB does open BIAB files but it ignores key things like bar settings. And if you are happy with the RealTrack riffs in BIAB and freeze them they don't survive a trip to RB. So it really is NOT a good idea to do too much in BIAB if you intend to take it to RB.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I had to laugh when Gordon Scott mentioned the person who would do what no one thought anyone might do. In my programming classes, I used the 'any idiot' test. Find someone walking down the hall who knows nothing about programming, sit them down in front of your program with no coaching, and see what happens. It tells you a lot.

There is a point I've raised but I'm no longer sure if it's in this lengthening thread or a similar one, that PG Music released version 2021 around Dec. 1. AFTER THAT we users and testers reacted and made requests (I'm thinking especially about the Utility Tracks) and the programmers honored them. I think this is where many problems crept in.

There are some nifty programs out there where the single-person developer reacts to user suggestions almost immediately. I think PG Music is not that, and should not be that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I had to laugh when Gordon Scott mentioned the person who would do what no one thought anyone might do. In my programming classes, I used the 'any idiot' test. Find someone walking down the hall who knows nothing about programming, sit them down in front of your program with no coaching, and see what happens. It tells you a lot.

There is a point I've raised but I'm no longer sure if it's in this lengthening thread or a similar one, that PG Music released version 2021 around Dec. 1. AFTER THAT we users and testers reacted and made requests (I'm thinking especially about the Utility Tracks) and the programmers honored them. I think this is where many problems crept in.

There are some nifty programs out there where the single-person developer reacts to user suggestions almost immediately. I think PG Music is not that, and should not be that.

Matt I feel like you are looking for an excuse for PGM. This is NOT the fault of the users who just ask for too much! Also, the vast majority of the requests I saw were to fix new features that were not implemented properly in the first place rather than additional features.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Not remotely complicated as BIAB, as a side project, me and my friend are developing custom software for 15+ years now (still in process) I would come up with idea and logic, he would code. Personal project.
In any case, there are always more issues arise if several things added at once and much less if we add them one by one with testing in between....

I think the culprit of buggy yearly start is that large number of features are added all at once.
I believe if adding new features spread through the year, with testing in between, there should be less headache and frustrations to address.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
So it really is NOT a good idea to do too much in BIAB if you intend to take it to RB.

That's been my approach for years.
Flush out an idea in BiaB (fast), then move to RB to work in a more DAW like setting.
Tend to the details there.
There is a learning curve at first, but for me it's way more productive in the long run.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:
So it really is NOT a good idea to do too much in BIAB if you intend to take it to RB.

That's been my approach for years.
Flush out an idea in BiaB (fast), then move to RB to work in a more DAW like setting.
Tend to the details there.
There is a learning curve at first, but for me it's way more productive in the long run.

It is very similar to my workflow, the only difference is that I go to my DAW and not RB. At first it was Cakewalk Pro Audio, then Sonar, and now Studio One Pro 5. But I must add that the BiaB VSTi has made the transaction a lot less painful.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
at least we know the top management reads these threads and i have a certain sympathy with Dr Gannon. users only post on the forum when they have a problem but there must be thousands of users like me who haven't had problems with BIAB 2021 because we use BIAB at a very basic level and then finish in a DAW (RB in my case).

i've been following and contributing to this topic because there are new features i would prefer to see - like greater time signature flexibility - rather than BIAB trying to do things a DAW will do better. or as noted above, fixing longer term problems that affect core functionality.

BIAB is an amazing program for auto accompaniment generation. that's its strength and i think it should play to it (pun intended)and leave some things DAWs do better to the many DAWs BIAB users already turn to after roughing out songs in BIAB - or using the BIAB plugin.

a lot of us don't need 'new features' we just want the core program optimised.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the inputs. We read them all and appreciate any constructive criticism. The recent release (825) in the support area fixes several issues (including the style-change-at-a-bar issue mentioned). We work hard to correct reported issues, add requested features and develop more RealTracks.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
just a quick thumbs up for the new BIAB and RB versions that include 24-bit audio playback, recording, mixing, and rendering and 4X's faster audio DSP processing (using SIMD). these are the kind of things that improve the functionality of the program and are very welcome.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
Excellent point. Separate software from content. I may have to avoid future purchases due to months of bugs. I will buy more tracks and or a new highly stable product. As things stand my only option is to avoid any purchases.

I love the product and have spent a lot of money in the past many years but will not continue until things improve.

Visit our web site:
su4u.net
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195