Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi All
I am just trying to improve my mixes this year and I am wondering if you could help me understand keeping tracks in mono vs stereo?
For instance BIAB drumkits ?How do you process them when it comes to panning and mono?
Are their any special considerations to take into account when using realtracks vs home recorded tracks?
Also are their general rules to follow with reverb on mono vs stereo tracks?
I have been going LCR with the panning with most in Mono on the wings but have been a bit lost on when to keep a track in stereo and why.
Or any other useful things that may help me in that area?
thanks appreciated in advance
urs Hugh

Veteran
Veteran
That is a huge question that can evoke a lot of opinions.

FWIW I always leave keys and drums stereo. I never pan drums and often increase the stereo image of them. I will slightly pan stereo key tracks or leave them, particularly pianos, centered ... all depending on what other tracks are present. For example if the left hand of the piano player doesn’t work with a rhythm guitar panned left then I will pan the guitar to the right, etc.

It’s very contextual. Any other stereo RTs, e.g., guitars I convert to mono. And again FWIW my objective is an open airy mix that sets up a soundstage like a small live band. Toward that end I spend a lot of time trying to get each track to have its place yet not sound isolated.

Panning, obviously, moves left and right while reverb tends to move the track more forward or something like that. smile

Bud

H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Thanks Bud,
I am going to try that with the drums and see how it sounds,
.Maybe at last Im asking the right questions lol,H

H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi Bud,
I tried that with the drums and it worked very well.I also had a tamborine and shaker I panned them left and right and left the drum kit in the centre with a preset that had a imager ,H

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I always export all tracks as mono. This gives me more control of where to pan them in the final mix.

My basic approach is drums, bass and vocals dead center and everything else full right or full left.

On simple songs with only vocals and a single guitar part I will dupe the guitar track and shift it a few milliseconds. Then put one guitar track full left and the other full right. It makes a lovely full mix with only two tracks!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
I always export all tracks as mono. This gives me more control of where to pan them in the final mix.

My basic approach is drums, bass and vocals dead center and everything else full right or full left.

On simple songs with only vocals and a single guitar part I will dupe the guitar track and shift it a few milliseconds. Then put one guitar track full left and the other full right. It makes a lovely full mix with only two tracks!

The issue with duplicating a track and shifting it a few MS is that it introduces phase issues. This is much more apparent when mixed down to Mono (such as playing through your phone or a mono bluetooth speaker) but can still be apparent with stereo speakers especially if you shift your head a bit as you're listening. The only way to avoid these phase issues is to record a double track, which I do on probably literally every song I record.

I work here
H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi and thanks John ,
So I in the quest for making room for vocals went away from putting tracks in the centre but I can hear now that it didnt work and that it was ok to put more tracks in the centre like you have said,thanks h

H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi Simon,
I find phase a bit hard to understand and I cant seem to spot when I have a problem with it,thanks for the advice ,h

Veteran
Veteran
Phase is hard to describe, but once you get it, you know it when you hear it.
A given track just doesn't sound right or act right especially when effects are added that should make it 'better' in a mix but don't. or sounds start cancelling out other sounds (I doubled the vocals but now some words seem muffled or have a weird chorus sound)
First test is, if you doubled it to another track and moved it, simply mute the doubled track .. does the problem go away? If so, likely a phase issue.

For panning, I try to visualize the stage.
I almost always use a stereo mix of the drums, whether they are generated or recorded live with multiple mics, just seems to work better for me.
On piano it depends; is the piano a central piece (needing more room/panning) or is it just a piano comping chords in the background?
If it is meant as a background comping I will likely split it to two mono tracks and position them both to have a narrower field, ie put the piano a little left on stage but still give it 'some' spread. Like 60% left for right hand and 40% left for left hand. Then it's still not 'MONO' but it is spread into a much narrower range of the stage.

Like J&B mentioned, this will vary from project to project and even song to song when you are mixing.

Hope that helps; there is a difference between having total control of two MONO tracks and simply panning a stereo track. So for any given solution it will depend on the application. No absolute truths.

By using two MONO tracks in the end, you can have more control over 'where' the instrument/performer is in the sound stage (and still control the L/R mix). But recording it in Stereo (or multiple MONO) tracks originally is what opens this option.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi and thanks John ,
So I in the quest for making room for vocals went away from putting tracks in the centre but I can hear now that it didnt work and that it was ok to put more tracks in the centre like you have said,thanks h

It’s all up to what sounds good to you. Both stacking tracks in the middle mono style and slamming them full L and R are much 60’s things. FWIW not my idea of a soundstage but that’s me. smile

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hi and thanks John ,

It’s all up to what sounds good to you. Both stacking tracks in the middle mono style and slamming them full L and R are much 60’s things. FWIW not my idea of a soundstage but that’s me. smile

Bud

Agree 100%. When stereo first came out in the 60's the only option was center or hard panned left or right. We have come a long way since then!

Expert
Expert
Hi
As with all things it depends what you are trying to achieve.

Say the sound of a full orchestra then see pic below as positional guide and then adjust volumes to move them forward or back in the mix (don’t over do it)

So if we are dealing with a smaller set say jazz band or pop trio quartet etc, the try to visualise how the would be laid out at a live session.

Much also depends on how wide you want you sound stage and how wide the listeners stereo image is (how far apart are their speakers)

In the world of midi you can get some very nice KSP (keyboard stereo panned) pianos
So that the low notes are on the pianist left and the high notes on the right in 88 steps.
This is great but it would sound a bit odd with the speakers 10 feet apart, that’s some wide piano

So it is a matter of horses for courses at the end of the day.
Have fun
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
content_orchestral_panning_tips_01.jpg (169.96 KB, 94 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 03/10/21 02:17 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Mike, I looked at your image and found it to be different then the one I have. I googled orchestra instrument seating arrangement and looked at the images and discovered there is more than one way to set up an orchestra. Who knew? Not me! So I did learn something new already today.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
My first thought was where are the flutes?
<grin>

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, I’ve played in orchestras with different layouts, but Mike’s diagram is what I’ve normally seen.

After a browse, I don’t see any mention of what NOT to pan. You don’t pan the lead vocal. That’s in the center. And you don’t pan the bass, because bass is very difficult to locate and you want the maximum sonic energy.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Simon,
I find phase a bit hard to understand and I cant seem to spot when I have a problem with it,thanks for the advice ,h

For example, if you shift one track by 1 millisecond, you'll have cancellation at 500hz, 1500hz, 2500hz, 3500hz etc basically acting as if you added an EQ reducing those frequencies. You can hear what happens in this video just before the 3 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pJOkhPTpLo

As others have said, whatever sounds good is good, but phase issues are one of those things where it may sound "good" in very exact circumstances - your speakers, your room, your sitting position, your ears. Change any of those things and it'll sound terrible.

It's partly for this reason that when mixing I have a monitor controller that allows me to listen in Mono and with one speaker's polarity flipped, as it helps me hear certain phase issues more easily. I have a hardware monitor controller, but this can be done in software with plugins like the free Maat 2BusControl plugin.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
After a browse, I don’t see any mention of what NOT to pan. You don’t pan the lead vocal. That’s in the center. And you don’t pan the bass, because bass is very difficult to locate and you want the maximum sonic energy.

Agreed. I also don't always pan lead guitars or lead instruments in general, though it depends. For drums (when mixing separate stems for each drum) I don't pan the kick and usually don't pan snare (depending on the recording setup).

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 03/10/21 02:05 PM.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, as Simon said, don't pan kick drum at all, that would probably lead to problems.

I differ with Simon in that I am open to panning the snare, though usually slightly .. mainly to add some dimension to other drums. In many recording setups, the live snare is pretty prominent, and is usually picked up by other mics also. Like overheads, hihat, and even the ride on the other side of the kit. So the panning/EQ on all those tracks can affect the end result snare sound.
In my opinion, drums are the most complicated tracks to mix, so you have to keep an open mind and try lots of stuff.

I've had moments where I EQ'd the crash cymbal mic and the snare suddenly had more (or less) presence in the mix.
So I always start with bass drum center, but am OK with moving the snare a bit..

Mixing drums ain't easy

Expert
Expert
It's worth noting that there are more than one ways to pan a stereo track. One way seems to raise the gain in the favored channel and reduce it in the less favored channel and leaves the L/R image intact. One way seems to move the full stereo image further left or right. The third (that I know of) seems to separate the channels and allow them to be moved independently. As a corollary to that, stereo widening (and narrowing) is another option. With those choices, I tend to leave stereo tracks stereo. There is often a reason why they are stereo beyond simply how they were recorded/mixed. Some effects even on solo instruments are stereo themselves and it seems best to try to preserve that.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Journeyman
Journeyman
I find panning useful for both rehearsal and performing live with backing tracks
Lately I've been panning my tracks with bass hard left and the drums hard right.

if a drummer sits in (or shows up for rehearsal) i can pan the playback hard and drop the drum track out completely.
I can also pan it slight down at rehearsal to give the drummer some idea of what my thoughts were when I created the arrangement.
I also sometimes pan the drum volume slightly down and get the drummer to play percussion (congas, etc).
I do the opposite if the bass player shows up. I mix any other instruments (usually a keyboard or other chording instrument) dead center and normally at a noticeably lower volume than bass and drums. This works great as a guitar trio sound with just the slightest comping from the keyboard. Keeps me (guitar) from having to play so much. Nothing worse than an guitar player overplaying.

Another option I used for a while was to pan both the bass and drums hard one side. This allowed me a quick and dirty eq capability when playing a boomy room. Not sophisticated but sometimes quite helpful. This was suggested by another member of this forum (i forget who to give the credit to) I found it useful back when gigs were more plentiful and I was playing everything from intimate restaraunts to outside tiki bar settings.

Hopefully we will soon have to once again deal with such problems.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
As others have said, whatever sounds good is good, but phase issues are one of those things where it may sound "good" in very exact circumstances - your speakers, your room, your sitting position, your ears. Change any of those things and it'll sound terrible.

That is why you should listen to your mix on a variety of setups. And not just for phase problems!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,625
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192