Instruments
Bass, Electric, ClassicFunkRootFiveAlex Ev 130
Drums, FunkyGroove60s
Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm SoulJazzMike Ev 130
Piano, Acoustic, Rhthm PopUplift Held Ev16 120
Piano, Electric, HeldChords 120
Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
Guitar, 12 String Acoustic Fingerpicking Ev 120

Vocals: Synthesizer V, Eleanor Forte (Lite)
Cornet: Kontakt, The Trumpet

Effects Chains
Vocals: TR5 Sunset Sound Studio, GW VoiceCentric
Guitar: EZMix, TR5 Sunset Sound Studio
Drums: Neutron3, TrackSpacer, TR5 Sunset Sound Studio
Piano1: TrackSpacer, ReaEQ, TR5 Sunset Sound Studio
Piano2: EZMix, TR5 Sunset Sound Studio
Bass: Neutron3
12 String Guitar:
Electric Piano: ReEQ, PingPongPan
Cornet: ReaEQ, Raum, BlockFish
Master Buss: Ozone Imager, Lurssen Mastering Console

Blah Blah Blah
This started from the demo _STEPPIN Demo - Steppin' Even Soul Jazz w Piano. Once again I chose a song which didn't have an obvious chorus, and didn't structure the melody in a way that broke into a verse/chorus structure. Ooops. Seems I never learn. crazy

Once I had the chords worked out, I imported the backing track into the Synthesizer V Editor (I finally got around to purchasing it) and worked out an initial melody. Once that was in place, I decided add an instrumental break and a tag. That set up the basic song structure, and determined where the "hook" would go.

The phrase "Somewhere lost in time" fit nicely, so I started with that and worked backwards. I really didn't have a good idea where the song was going to go, so I wrote a bunch of stuff which didn't seem like it was going to fit.

I've set the overly-ambitious goal of a song a week (until I run out of steam). Over a week in, I had nothing more than a bunch of lyrics I didn't like, and not much else to show for it. Eventually just toughed it out and got first verse worked out. Lathe, rinse, repeat.

The entire process of songwriting for me is basically rewriting. A lot of things I was fond of came and went, either because it was to close to what I'd written in a prior song, or the words were hard to understand, or it didn't advance the story, or it didn't rhyme... the standard reasons for re-doing lyrics.

So much rewriting. I'd be in the middle of the mix, hear a line for the zillionth time, and figure out what I really should have written.

The nice thing about a synthetic vocalist is they don't complain when you keep rewriting. smile

When I finish the process, I'm mostly just happy that I got through another song, and the lingering suspicion that I accidentally wrote someone else's song I'd heard before.

I'd hoped to keep it 100% BiaB (out of laziness) but didn't find any instruments that I thought fit well, so I ended up playing the cornet part on my EWI. I was thinking of putting an alto sax on instead, but the break already had enough of a "Constant Craving" vibe. (Yeah, I know the instrument in that song is an accordion. It's still a reed instrument.)

I didn't add harmonies, mostly because the song didn't seem to call for it. I was going add some Ooohs and Aaaaahs from BiaB, but I couldn't find any that fit the tempo.

Because I had an "extra" week to work on the song, I figured I'd spend time trying to get a better performance. My goal wasn't to convince anyone they were listening to a real person, but remove things that made it obvious they weren't listening to a person. wink

Fortunately, there are a fair number of Synthesizer V songs on YouTube, with the actual song data being displayed as the song plays. So I've been able to pick up some techniques.

In terms of time spent, most of the time changing lyrics, and then on moving notes around, and then changing on tuning the phonemes. Adjusting the parameters was pretty straight-forward.

Then the mixing. Again, way too many iterations. But this time I actually checked out how it sounded in mono (less good than stereo, of course).

As always, comments of any sort are welcome! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HI David ...

Super impressed! Also, in addition to a Synth Vocal, the BIAB musicians never complain about redos and never demand a raise!

I can't comment on the technical aspects of this, as I have no technical comprehension of such a project. But I can try to imagine the time and effort required to produce something like this. And it all paid off. BTW, Constant Craving is a favorite of mine and Di used to sing it so dang good!

I love this genre and play around with it frequently. And, I as you sometimes do, I often have a title in mind and create the based around that. In a way, it's kind of like writing for spec. You set the parameters and then go about creating within them.

Lyrics are always my weakness. Your lyric here is perfectly fine. It flows with the music and complements it well. You are gifted with the Synth Vocalizer. I can't even begin to imagine that process!

Another super listen. Best to you ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Absolutely impressive,

Your command over synthesized vocals shines through.

Melodically this is super interesting. Excellent in fact.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Those vocaloids are getting so much better. And if the genre is correct, they can be an absolute hand in a glove match. This is really close to that standard.

The song has a very smooth and cool groove. I like it.

Only nits I have are at :56 and 1:53 where the note is off on the vox. I image that's a simple fix.

Nice job on this song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Super impressed! Also, in addition to a Synth Vocal, the BIAB musicians never complain about redos and never demand a raise!

Hi, Alan.

Yes, that's certainly a bonus! smile

Quote:
I love this genre and play around with it frequently. And, I as you sometimes do, I often have a title in mind and create the based around that. In a way, it's kind of like writing for spec. You set the parameters and then go about creating within them.

Only sometimes my "client" is a bit too vague about the spec. mad Once I get enough of the parameters worked out, it's a bit easier.

Quote:
Lyrics are always my weakness. Your lyric here is perfectly fine. It flows with the music and complements it well.

Thanks! Everything else is pretty easy, which is why instrumentals feel like a cheat. I enjoy making and listening to them, but it feels like I'm an artist who's choosing to draw portraits of people from the waist up, so I can avoid having to draw hands. wink

Glad you could stop and listen!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Absolutely impressive,

Your command over synthesized vocals shines through.

Melodically this is super interesting. Excellent in fact.

Thanks, Trevor! smile

I appreciate the positive feedback. After working on a song for too long, I lose perspective on how it actually sounds.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Those vocaloids are getting so much better. And if the genre is correct, they can be an absolute hand in a glove match. This is really close to that standard.

I'll see what I can do to bridge that gap a bit more.

Quote:
The song has a very smooth and cool groove. I like it.

Thanks!

Quote:
Only nits I have are at :56 and 1:53 where the note is off on the vox. I image that's a simple fix.

Those were actually intentional - there are some "interesting" melodic choices which clash a bit with the harmony. They aren't as harsh after you've listened to them dozens of times, but I'll consider fixing it.

Glad to have the feedback! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi dcuny,

Nice work and nice demo of what synthesizer V can do. All songwriters often come back to the same themes but that is not disturbing. In this composition some well-dosed instruments all bring their charm. And the result is pleasant. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Loved that intro! That trumpet sounds great.

I think vocally this has to be the best one you have done yet! Very realistic, just a couple of spots where it sounds off.

Good song, enjoyed!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done! The mix is superb and overall a great write!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

A nice ear-grabbing opening...a bit of a Herb-Albert-vibe to it.
(Forgive the "sounds like" references) - the rest of the song has a Bacharach-David sound/feel (both high standards - that you easily met). Killer melody.

Great backbone (drums and bass). The overall mix is excellent.

THE best vocaloid I've ever heard. (admittedly, I haven't heard a LOT). I can understand every word without reading lyrics. The vocal inflections are getting might close to "natural".

A solid write.

fj

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Nice work and nice demo of what synthesizer V can do. All songwriters often come back to the same themes but that is not disturbing. In this composition some well-dosed instruments all bring their charm. And the result is pleasant. Well done.

Hi, Derochette.

James Taylor has said that he's written about 150 songs, but he's really written about 25 songs 10 times. There's nothing wrong with variations on a theme, but I'm just a bit surprised that my repertoire of phrases is so small. Hopefully practice (and rewriting) will help get me out of that rut.

Thanks for commenting! Glad to hear you liked the song. smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Loved that intro! That trumpet sounds great.

Hi, Dave.

Thanks! I did a couple attempts using other instruments, and they were meh. Fortunately, I got lucky with the cornet.

Quote:
I think vocally this has to be the best one you have done yet! Very realistic, just a couple of spots where it sounds off.

Thanks again. Feel free to mention specific elements that are "off". After working with something for a while, the ear sort of becomes inured to elements.

Quote:
Good song, enjoyed!

Really, the part I worry about the most. Awesome! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Well done! The mix is superb and overall a great write!

Thanks, Lawrence!

I appreciate you noticing the mix (and the write). laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A nice ear-grabbing opening...a bit of a Herb-Albert-vibe to it.

Hi, floyd jane.

I'll take Herb Albert "sounds like" references all day long! I know he's not the best trumpeter in the business, but his "sound" is what's in my head. Even if it was Chuck Findley on most of those Carpenters albums. smile

I wasn't sure the intro would fit - it's not really related to the rest of the song - but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Quote:
(Forgive the "sounds like" references) - the rest of the song has a Bacharach-David sound/feel (both high standards - that you easily met). Killer melody.

Flattery will get you everywhere - especially if you mention Bacharach. Do continue. wink

Speaking of Burt, he's recently release a new short album with David Tashian called Blue Umbrella.

Quote:
Great backbone (drums and bass). The overall mix is excellent.

You know I'm always thinking of you when I'm working on those instruments.

I'm happy to hear it gets your stamp of approval.

Quote:
THE best vocaloid I've ever heard. (admittedly, I haven't heard a LOT). I can understand every word without reading lyrics. The vocal inflections are getting might close to "natural".

I've heard a lot, so I'll apply the metaphorical grain of salt.

But it's good to hear that I'm going in the right direction, especially with expression. I tend to lean in a bit too much with the breathiness. I think it will do me good to spend some time listening to real singers and taking notes.

I'm happy to hear it's intelligible! That's always a big goal of mine. The "Pro" version of the editor offers alternate phonemes, but sometimes (fortunately not that often) the singer flubs a particular combination, so it can take a bit of work to get her to sing it right.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there are specific things about the vocal that stick out as "wrong", that would be good to know. In the end, the performance is still going to be "off". There are some things I just wasn't sure of because I'm not used to working with a voice that can go that high.

Quote:
A solid write.

Good to hear, especially from you. smile

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

You are on a roll lately! This sounds really great! You are delivering a super clean sound with everything you produce! Great job placing that horn sound in this! Take care, T

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, I am very impressed with the quality of the vocal. The mix is excellent and the write has some great lines. The arrangement has some really nice changes and the trumpet sounds great. Very nicely done,Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
]I think vocally this has to be the best one you have done yet! Very realistic, just a couple of spots where it sounds off.

Thanks again. Feel free to mention specific elements that are "off". After working with something for a while, the ear sort of becomes inured to elements.

Ok, listened again wink

The two spots that jumped out at me were :56, the way "disappointed" is phrased, and 1:17, "close".

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This is an impressive production. Everything fits together quite well. Enjoyed this a lot.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Innocently romantic lyrics, reminds me J-Pop with some 60's flavor.
The melody is again enjoyable pop and the chord progression has nice surprises.
I like the trumpet, creates nicely the nostalgic mood. The bass/drum have enjoyable groove and they are mixed perfectly.
Eleanor sounds better than in your previous songs, or maybe better than in any song I have heard, maybe you have added more little details, but at least the vocal range is very natural now.

Thanks for the backstory, they are always interesting to read.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,210
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185