Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi. I've been using BiB for many years and have the lastest version updated and even rebooted my PC, but I have frustrating issues trying to write songs. I have reported most of these to BiB and got just as an answer a patch which had the issues unsolved. So I list the issues here and hope some of you have solution for them:
1. I've written a new song writing the notes to Melody track and saved the song as a .MGU file. Even printed it. When I tried to open it again the notes I've written were not in Melody track anymore. Same thing with the safe copy of the song.
2. While writing the notes it does not except notes lower than C5, so I must lower then with the edit function.
3. While copying melodies by highlighting the notes, it don't copy notes lower than C5.
4. When trying to copy with Main Menu > Edit > Copy Special > Copy From...To, if I uncheck the box "Copy Lyrics" it still copies also the lyrics - so I can't use it or have to rewrite the lyrics.
5. While printing to pdf the first time it only prints chords to the first page. When I repeat the process it prints rest of the pages.
6. If I check if my BiB version is updated, is replies it is - and still there are patches to download!

All in all I have used BiB to write songs. Because BiB is not handy for recording my own stuff - even though the new utilities tracks - I record my tracks with Reaper. I only make notations and the tracks I don't play my self like drums, bass, horns with Bib:

If I have to write again the notes, it seems that I can't trust BiB in song writing anymore.

As an old ICT-pro I feel that BiB puts too much effort to new features and does not fix the bugs reported. This is the way you're gonna loose your old paying customers.

Please share your advices and experiences.

Brno
Helsinki, Finland

Veteran
Veteran
Hi. You have a substantive list there. Please tell us which version of BIAB, and which build.

May I suggest you create a separate post for each issue? I'm a retired IT pro, too, and this could get very tangled quickly. However, a few thoughts to start:

1. That's definitely not supposed to happen and must be very frustrating. I would do Options, Return to Factory Settings, Most and check again.

2. Tell us exactly how you 'write the notes' so we can check. Also, check Options, Preferences, Notation, Clef Split. Mine is C4. Plus, vendors differ on what they call these pitches so that info would help us, too, to know what you are using.

3. Here too, please give exact steps so we can try to duplicate.

4. I don't use lyrics so I would not have seen this, but I also do not recall ever reading about this. If true, this would clearly be a bug that should be fixed. I regularly use Copy Special From To for notes, and except for a Coda, it works great. You may have found something important here.

5. We need to know all the printing options you selected. Also I assume you are using the BIAB Print menu to a printer, and not printing to PDF printer (and if you are, which one).

6. This one is actually OK, and is by design. The program checks for the latest known stable version. According to PG Music who explained this to us something like this, they consider each new release a beta version for a time, so it will not be found by the program check. Like you, we go to the website to be sure we have the most current version.

I hope this helps to get started. Let's work these issues one at a time. And if you are correct about bugs, we can help get that report to the developers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks, but I'm not going to do the work of BiB. Listing the detailes would be like rewriting the manual, because I did like it was adviced there.
The program should work as described in the manual. Users shouldn't be using their time fixing the bugs, only report them.

I was hoping for advices like the one that I can adjust the lowest notes usable.

I have reported with the info of my version and detailed report as tech question and got only answer thet there is a newer patch that didn't help.

And shouldn't be checking updates be enough to keep update? Still there seems to be patches, like mine was at that time version 2021 (818) 64 bit and they send me a link to load patch 826 - with the issues unsolved.

Veteran
Veteran
It’s up to you. I tried, and there is a great deal more to try. But not without the details.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Brno, did you find that you had very few or no problems with the 2020 version last years?

With the system that PG music has in place now, once you decide to upgrade to the current years version, then unfortunately its usually a case of having to patch and wait for the current years version to become stable, which it usually does some time later in the year.

I did suggest in a thread (which has since been moved to the biab wishlist) that all new realtracks should be able to be seen in a past stable version of biab, but I'm not holding my breath in seeing that implemented.

I really feel your pain and frustration with this Brno, I'm sure a few others with the current years biab will be along to help you so hang in there.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brno
Thanks, but I'm not going to do the work of BiB. Listing the detailes would be like rewriting the manual, because I did like it was adviced there.

Do understand that this is a Users forum. We're all end users. Just like yourself. We users have no control over the way the program operates.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Brno,

I write melodies all the time with BIAB and I have not experienced your problems.

The one time I lost the melody I'd written was because the style I used had a Realtrack on the Melody track. When the song was generated, the notation for this Realtrack overwrote my melody. Since then, I always make sure that I only use styles that leave the Melody track free.

In relation to the low notes... Did you try clicking on the bass clef to add these. For example, if you want to add "A" below middle C, click on the top line of the bass clef. "A" should then be added with ledger lines below the treble clef.

Double-check that you have the latest update installed for BIAB. You can check what update is currently installed by looking under "Help | About Band In A Box". The update number is in brackets after the version number. We are currently up to update #825,

Updates can be downloaded and manually installed from the below site.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Many thanks. I rewrote the notes to the Melody track and this this it stayed.
I didn't know before you told, that if I change the Melody track from MIDI to Real Track it wipes out the notes. This must have happened.
Thanks, now I know not to touch to the Melody track.

B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi. Yes, I reported these issues to BiB with "Submit tech questions" and only get link to the newesdt patch, wherer these issues we'rent solved.
That's why I also asked from this forum if you have had the same problems and if have any solutions. I already got a good advice to one issue.
I also wanted to express my frustation for BiB, because they don't put enough effort to fix the bugs while being too busy to build new features.
I've also heard that the software is so old and filled with bugs that it'äs very hard to get to be stable. Maybe they should stop and rebuild the whole software.

B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hi. Like I wrote I checked that my BiB version is updated and it is now Version 2021 (825) which is latest patch.
I also checked that in the Preferences Clef Split is C4, but it still does not take notes below C5. Same with trying to copy the melody highlighting the notes it does not copy notes below C5.
I could use the trick you advised, but it does not solve the copying problem.
Thanks anyway.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brno
Same with trying to copy the melody highlighting the notes it does not copy notes below C5.
I could use the trick you advised, but it does not solve the copying problem.
Thanks anyway.

Hi again.

I'm guessing that you are talking about selecting and copying notes, using CTRL+C, while in Editable Notation Mode. If that's the case, please read on...

In Editable Notation Mode, while it looks like there are separate treble and bass clefs for not entry, this is not the case. These two clefs are structured such that they represent a single grand stave (and not two individual staves). With this in mind, if you want to copy notes, it's necessary to drag the selection down into the bass area of the grand stave. (See image below.) This should do the job for you.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks. I,ll try that.

B
Brno Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks for advice. Some of the issues were solved, but there still seems to be bugs in the sofware. I've reported them to PG and hope that in some future Build they are fixed.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195