Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
BIAB 2021 has extended the number of tracks thanks to utility tracks.

This is a good first step, absolutely necessary. Thank you !

Now we will have to converge the standard tracks and the utility tracks and ensure that in the future there are only unified tracks, offering all the basic functionalities (support for bars setting, export to the DAW ... ).

It seems to me an essential step to move towards a coherent and industrialized product.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
A BIG +1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes. Every track should have exactly the same functionality. Presently, some tracks only do certain things, other tracks only do other things. Consistency and Standardization would be the way to resolve all of these confounding issues. I hope the developers are working towards that goal.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Based on comments from the developers, and the fact that improvements were already made toward that goal after the initial release, I think we are all in agreement.

+1

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

-----------------------
Videotrack, "Every track should have exactly the same functionality."

I agree BUT... how do you envision a workflow were you want shots/holds/rest/pushes used with Utility tracks? I do not believe a quarter of the chord bar cell would support these for many tracks. I was thinking about this for some time now, and the most logical solution would be to place these items in the bar settings.

Of course "visual" consistency and convenience of typing in the bar function would be lost for these Utility tracks. But it seems the only logical place to put these. I am posting my idea here in hope that other folks will chip in and offer other ideas of how to achieve MOST of function / consistency for UtilityTracks. To me it is like a puzzle...would be interested to learn of other possible solutions. .. and of course hoping PG team is listening.​

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
barset.jpg (302.96 KB, 141 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Rusty,
Yes, plan is to make the util tracks same functionality as regular tracks. (Note that you can generate realtracks on them now, but not as a part of styles).

Thanks for the graphic, shots/holds/rests/pushes would need to go into chord settings dialog, where they are now.
For people who like to type them in, something like u1,u2 could describe the tracks.
So that
Am..bdu1u3 Would rest all tracks except bass, drums, util 1 and Util 3
Peter

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I agree BUT... how do you envision a workflow were you want shots/holds/rest/pushes used with Utility tracks?

It seems that you are still identifying Utility Tracks as being separate tracks with separate functionality that needs to be handled differently.

I'm actually suggesting that all tracks should work the same.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Peter, Videotrack
Thank you for joining the discussion!
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am still confused how "typing in" would work in some situations.
Lets imagine a potential stress scenario. All tracks are used (legacy + Utility). As it works
now, you can "type in" within each of 4 beats in the bar (and even that if used to full extent can look quite complex).

This is hypothetical, but how would this fit in a single bar by typing in such action:

Am7b5..g,b,p,u1,u2,u3,u4,u5,u6,u7,u8,u9,u10,u11,u12,u13,u14,u15,u16,
Am7b5..g,b,p,u1,u2,u3,u4,u5,u6,u7,u8,u9,u10,u11,u12,u13,u14,u15,u16
Am7b5..g,b,p,u1,u2,u3,u4,u5,u6,u7,u8,u9,u10,u11,u12,u13,u14,u15,u16,
Am7b5..g,b,p,u1,u2,u3,u4,u5,u6,u7,u8,u9,u10,u11,u12,u13,u14,u15,u16

I suggested doing shots, holds etc., at the "Bar Settings" for 3 reasons:

1)I believe chord bar might have issues with supporting huge lines of potential "type in" cell commands for shots, holds etc and a possible mistake might lead to a looong rewrite, because it does not act as text in notepad. You can not edit it without re-typing whole thing

2)Most likely larger number of tracks would require constant changes at the bar menu (F5) anyway, so I figured it would take much less steps if done under single menu (tabs?) + More coherent, because there is more space for created "names" of the tracks which could be applied dynamically to the list. Meaning, if you re-name a Utility track to: "CrazyViolin", it will show up as "CrazyViolin" at the bar setting menu, that way you will now exactly what you are holding, shotting or resting or excluding. With U1, U2 etc... it might be like the memory game, the one that you have to find two of same cards when they are face down. Forgive me, but I am not being sarcastic about this. I think it might pose a challenge to people of cross-referencing legacy tracks + 16 new Utility tracks in "type in" or even at the "chord menu" with u1, u2 names., Actual screen space at Bar Settings can support dynamic (given) or even condensed real names that could be displayed instead of U1, U2.

3)Potentially in future, it would be possible to use Shift or Control (or other methods) to bulk change groups of tracks and it is easier if they lined up in certain grid.

P.S. I hope I am making some sense and you did not fall asleep smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I thought I remembered making a graphic for that.
Maybe if you ctrl click the chord when it has a shot hold etc..
it could bring up the track option and mirror it also in F5 like you show.
Also have a select all/none check box.
This will prevent the cramming.
Maybe you could have the b,d,g,s,p in that also ?
So it's backward compatible let it read C...b,d
into the check boxes already checked to be exempt and just display C...
Maybe it can be another color if there are exempt tracks ?
Or C...x

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB21-Disable-Hold.png (121.5 KB, 117 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, there are lots of ingenious ways to deliver the required functionality. RustySpoon's suggestions and your suggestions are all worthy of consideration.

No doubt, PGM developers will have thought out all the detail, the traps and the pitfalls as they proceed with the functionality. In the meantime, I'm sure they appreciate the input and suggestions from the users.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Videotrack,
most likely I am a minority in these discussions with my views, but
I do believe that workflow is nearly important as functions. Sure, there are "fifty ways" things can be made to work, but if they are not made ergonomically, they will be features for selected group of power users. Average user will not be able to see / use many benefits program has to offer. I just wish there would be more discussion on user end design to offer Peter and crew different views and opinions on same feature. Especially on important item of this magnitude, which is tripling the amount of available tracks.

To me personally, Util.Tracks are single most important added feature in BIAB, most likely for years to come.
To echo OP post: "This is a good first step, absolutely necessary. Thank you !"
+1 big thank you from me!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Videotrack,
most likely I am a minority in these discussions with my views, but
I do believe that workflow is nearly important as functions. Sure, there are "fifty ways" things can be made to work, but if they are not made ergonomically, they will be features for selected group of power users. Average user will not be able to see / use many benefits program has to offer. I just wish there would be more discussion on user end design to offer Peter and crew different views and opinions on same feature. Especially on important item of this magnitude, which is tripling the amount of available tracks.

I do not believe that you are in the minority. I for one completely agree with you.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

To me personally, Util.Tracks are single most important added feature in BIAB, most likely for years to come.
To echo OP post: "This is a good first step, absolutely necessary. Thank you !"
+1 big thank you from me!

I agree that the utility tracks and the VSTi are both the most important improvements in years. But in both cases they were not fully developed prior to making them available to the consumers. I wonder how many potential customers they lost because of this and the workflow issues.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rusty.
i like your graphic idea useing the F5 dialogue.
for shots/holds/pushes etc.
OR in pipelines graphich just insert instead of the tick, how bout entering S or H or P etc.

OR how bout that linear view i proposed in one of my wishes.
ie. bars/beats/chords linearly over time >>>> at the top.
and the 16 tracks down left hand side.
and like the bb
piano roll "cels" covering everything.
right clik on a cel at a particular time/beat within a chord for a particular track
and a dialog pops up with a bunch of functions.
like shot or hold or push or freeze or regen or patch change or volume or pan change for example for that particular instrument at that particular beat within that particular chord.
ie the general layout would look like piano roll, but,
instead of a keyboard on left hand side like most piano rolls, there are 16 vertical traks, and the white space //cels is used for instrument beat/bar settings/changes ?
add into the linear view markers vertical to match ones daw markers, and YES ! how bout it ?

note. hiliting a series of cels would cover changes over several beats/bars etc etc.

go ahead and critique me.

best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/23/21 04:57 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Some great suggestions here. I agree that typing in the ‘except’ track names into a quarter of a cell is unworkable, and some sort of editable representation like Pipeline showed is needed. There have been several viable suggestions of how these new extra (and someday equal) tracks should be named. I think the only idea I might rule out is single letters. We don’t want the position of single letters in a long string to be critical, such as this: Am7..d,b,s,l,t,s,b,t

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Rustyspoon, I certainly don't think you are in the minority. That's why I wrote this earlier:
Quote:
Yes, there are lots of ingenious ways to deliver the required functionality. RustySpoon's suggestions and your suggestions are all worthy of consideration.

No doubt, PGM developers will have thought out all the detail, the traps and the pitfalls as they proceed with the functionality. In the meantime, I'm sure they appreciate the input and suggestions from the users.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I'm a bit worn out from being here too long fighting to make things better and are trying to phase out of this, so it's good to see Rusty coming up also with all these great ideas and graphics to help take PG forward.

See with typing in all the hold exemptions after the chord is a pain to change if you change your mind to to put one track back in.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Videotrack,
I know, you always try to spot valid ideas. I was just tripped with what you said:
"It seems that you are still identifying Utility Tracks as being separate tracks with separate functionality that needs to be handled differently"

As I explained above, it will not be possible to have legacy tracks + 16 Utility tracks be written in cell as we are familiar with legacy tracks. Artificially limiting "written in" U.Tracks, would not be a good idea either for obvious reasons. So in a sense Utility Tracks should have a separate mechanism to achieve rests, shots, holds, exemptions etc.

I think the real question / challenge with this is hidden in workflow. Pipeline has some excellent points with possibility of shortcut, which is in a way advanced. I am proposing a suggestion to combine "Chord Options" and "Bar settings" in one. With a tab in Utility Track section which could follow right after legacy tracks. I have a visual idea in mind. I will make a sketch when time permits.

Pipeline,
You need a beer, or a glass of wine smile Limit your load, gears will spin more freely. We need you here.
----------------------------------
Riccoboni, sorry for intrusion and thank you for starting this thread. It is a big subject that I hope people will contribute ideas to.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I think this is going to be great once Utility tracks can do what any other track can do. And now, PG Music is alerted to some of the concerns about how we would work with them. It should be fun to see what they come up with.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think this is going to be great once Utility tracks can do what any other track can do. And now, PG Music is alerted to some of the concerns about how we would work with them. It should be fun to see what they come up with.

Yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
"I think this is going to be great once Utility tracks can do what any other track can do."
+1

But... still I think it is equally important on HOW (workflow) it will be achieved. Because if it is not done right, it will be frustration class 101.

I am trying to push idea of combining 2 menus: Bar settings + Chord menu for pushes, holds (that will facilitate these for U.Tracks. Bar setting is probably one of the most used menus in arrangement. This combining would eliminate many steps and cleaner gui (LeSs separate menus). Since both items (bar settings + chord menu) relate to a specific bar, it makes logical sense to me to open ONE location (F5) for most of settings related to specific bar.

P.S. I believe there was a discussion about condensing some of menus recently. I think this is a perfect opportunity to do that for functions of U.Tracks. Kind of getting two rabbits with one shot.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195