Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
S
OP Offline
S
what equipment do I need to run Band in a box othet than my computer ?
Thanks in advance.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You will want speakers that connect to your computer. In the audio world they are called monitors. You did not say if your computer is a laptop or desktop, but good speakers are needed either way.

Most of us have an external audio interface that connects by USB. Look at something like a Focusrite Scarlett.

We would need to know more to help you further. For example, do you plan to record?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
That depends entirely on what you want to accomplish with Band-in-a-Box (BiaB).

If you just want to make music entirely in BiaB for your own enjoyment then your computer and computer speakers is all you need.

However if you want a much better sound you will need to purchase an audio interface, commonly called a sound card, and some near field monitors. Although you can record with your computer a good audio interface with near field monitors will give you a much better sounding recording. An Audio interface will also allow you to record more than one instrument or vocal simultaneously.

If you want to record a number of instruments and vocals, have total control over them and effects you should also have a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). If you have a PC you have RealBand included with BiaB. Realband is a DAW. Most people start their songs in BiaB then move over to a DAW. Realband has many of BiaB's features so some only work in Realband.

I hope this helps and good luck.

{edit} it looks like Matt and I were typing the same thing at the same time.

Last edited by MarioD; 03/26/21 03:05 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
By the way, welcome to the forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You only need a computer and some way of hearing the sound from BIAB (and preferably something better than built-in speakers). It gets more complex if you're wanting to record or play instruments along with BIAB though, are you wanting to do that as well?

As an alternative to studio monitors or better speakers, I'd suggest a good pair of headphones - preferably the larger "studio" kind that go over your ears. I personally use a pair of Audio Technica M50X's, but most studio headphones in the $50+ range will be good enough. Generally speaking, more expensive means better sound but also better comfort and less ear fatigue, and when you're working in audio professionally you don't want headphones that are uncomfortable or tiring to use. As well, some people will tell you that you'll need a better headphone amp to run your headphones, but in my experience that's not always the case. Some "professional" headphones require one, but usually they'll be a 600-ohm headphone. The Audio Technica's I mentioned don't require a headphone amp.

That said, I personally prefer monitors over headphones.

I work here
G
G
Ciao, non ho mai scritto nel forum, sono nuovo. L'argomento però mi interessa, ho appena acquistato BiaB 2021 e vorrei acquistare una scheda audio, probabilmente M-Audio, la mia domanda è BiaB è compatibile con M-Audio ?

Veteran
Veteran
GOOGLE TRANSLATE (ITALIAN):
Originally Posted By: Giorgio60
Hi, I've never posted in the forum, I'm new. But the topic interests me, I just bought BiaB 2021 and I would like to buy a sound card, probably M-Audio, my question is BiaB is compatible with M-Audio?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, M-Audio makes sound cards that would be fine. I used one for many years on my Windows PC with BIAB.

If you would like more specifics, tell us about your computer and what model(s) of M-Audio sound cards you are considering. Also tell us if you plan to do recording.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Not that it helps a lot, but I have an old Avid Mbox 2 here that I use with BB from time to time, and it works fine. Since Avid is M-Audio, they should be fine too.

We don't test BIAB with every interface under the sun, mostly because we don't get every interface under the sun given to us for free and we have to spend money on them! I've personally used interfaces from Avid, Focusrite, RME, MOTU, and Zoom, all without any major issues, and many of our users have others from Steinberg, SSL, Audient, Presonus, and many others. Like Matt said, tell us which M-Audio you're looking at and we can advise a bit better.

I work here
G
G

Hi Matt, thank you for your attention. The sound card I would like to buy is the M-AUDIO AIR 192/6, a condenser microphone and headphones (as a monitor).
I have a Dell Latitude E6330 Laptop with 16GB of RAM and O.S. Windows 10 and I would like to record what I play.
I play guitar, I have an Ovation Pinnacle, a Takamine C132S classical guitar, an Aria acoustic guitar and I plan to buy an Ibanez PM2 - AA Hollow Body Electric Guitar.
I recently started playing again, I've always been passionate about jazz.
I am happy to be in this group where I am sure I will find the answers to my questions.

See you soon

G
G
Thanks to you too Simon.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Giorgio, I looked up that MAudio unit on Sweetwater. It should work. Two inputs, if that’s enough.

I note it has a USB C connection. Unless your laptop is very new, you may not have a C port and would need an adapter.

What kind of mic? At this price point, the mic(s) you choose will make more of a difference than anything else. Where to put them also matters, but I’ll let those who record guitars comment on these last two ideas.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I note it has a USB C connection. Unless your laptop is very new, you may not have a C port and would need an adapter.

From what I could find, it looks like it includes both USB-A and USB-C cables with it. One link I saw said "Also compatible with USB 2.0" and another said "USB and USB-C connection cables included." So it should be fine, though I would double check with whoever you buy it from that it includes the right cables for you.

I work here
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Yes, M-Audio makes sound cards that would be fine.
The Air 192 stuff is great. I use the Air 192|14: 8 x 8 over USB with 4 mic pres, 2 DIs, 2 Line Ins, MIDI, and 2 headphone amps for $329 or less. Fewer features cost less.
M-Audio Air

Most of the current interfaces are "Fast USB 2" including the M-Audio Air, Scarlett 3rd Gen, SSL, NI, Behringer but there a few are USB 3 interfaces and PreSonus makes TB3 interfaces.

USB-C is just a port, not a protocol. You can buy USB-C cables rated for USB 2, USB 3, USB 3.1/HDMI/DisplayPort, USB 3.2, Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 3/4. The higher ones are all backwards compatible; the reverse is most definitely not. Read the specs — fortunately, USB 2 are the least expensive. A faster cable will not change the performance but a slower cable than the unit requires can cause it not to work at all.

One thing to beware of is marketing BS that states a cable fits Thunderbolt 3 ports. Yea that… While technically true, since TB3 connects over USB-C, it's false advertising if the cable is not also rated for TB3. I wonder how many returns Amazon gets from I thought I was buying a TB3 cable… customers because of that.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
G
G
Ciao a tutti,
ragazzi siete fantastici, la nebbia nella mia testa si sta diradando grazie ai vostri consigli. Io abito in Italia vicino Milano (Brescia) e come saprete siamo in pieno Lock Down a causa del COVID-19 quindi devo decidere se fare gli ordini di acquisto della scheda audio via Internet oppure aspettare che i negozi riaprano.
Comunque vi terrò informati e sicuramente vi chiederò altri consigli.
Matt, Simon e Mike mi piacerebbe sapere quali strumenti suonate e se è possibile vedere e sentire qualche vostra performance.

grazie infinite

Giorgio

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
ALL.
a reviewer of audio interfaces i like is julian krause who does very in depth tech analysis/testing of a product.
heres his review of the maudio air 192/4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-q41YOSl_Q
he has an interesting comparison chart for all the interfaces
which youll see flash up during a review.

he has many other reviews of various studio products.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0HrD4cTsQpAZ8KK9jPzzGg

in addition, this thread i started awhile back.
ie pg users itemise asio interfaces that work well with pg software.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707

if one cant afford the superb RME interfaces, and one is looking at 4 in /out usb mixers that are affordable with say 4 mic inputs i would test/rent either the allen n heath zed 10 series OR the soundcraft 12 fx from my research. (there are reviews on you tube etc.)

i bought a budget audient evo 4 (for short term use) , and so far been pleasantly surprised. its low 4ms latency and it hasnt given me any hassles yet. but its only 2 mic pres. and i like the sound. julian k also did a review of it.

best
oldmuso

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Julian's reviews are pretty good. He covers the important things.

The Audent Evo 4 has as much going for it as against. I like that Julian's overview gets into those details. Stepping everything through one knob would drive me nuts but I'm not anyone else. Interestingly, it's the one recent interface not using the same chip family as all the others.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mike.
a few months back i posted on these pg forums a detailed review/
first evo impressions. initially i TOO was sceptical bout the smartgain feature. but i have to say it IS rather clever.
(and hasnt driven me nuts yet lol).
i set it once , and havent had to worry bout my levels since.
i particularly have to be carefull as my voice can be very powerfull.
(we had no mics when i was a choirboy lol, one belted it out.lol.). i have to control it.

frankly at this budget level i think all the interfaces a user can do decent songs with. lets face it , cos of the net, if a product dont cut the mustard, word gets around fast.
anyway i cant really justify a 1k interface for the crazy silly songs i enjoy doing.
my dear wife urged me to get the RME for example, but i thought with all the obsolescence these days i would give audient a go.
and so far i'm not disappointed. evo is doing all that i ask of it.
fyi it comes in a box with a simple card. which made evo so easy to set up eg the smartgain feature.
and as i know your concern re support. i needed clarification on a couple of q's, and comsidering it was xmas , audient responded well.

overall i like the mic pre's and very low noise, and the drivers , and, as julian K pointed out its tops in dynamic range.
i also like the hphone output power.
my rateing "for what it is for the price" 9/10.

mike. ive recorded in high end studios, so i have a decent idea
what high end sounds like. thus i have to say evo acquits itself well. ive also learnt many lessons in that process of being in big studios. one being , "sometimes" a cheaper piece of gear can do a better job than a very expensive piece.
for example once i'm in a big studio , and the engineer throws up a well known several thousand dollar mic. my vocs just werent cutting it, i knew it and he knew it; we think cos i was very nervous around this very pricey piece of mic kit.
so i said to him "you got some mic you dont care bout that i can use and go crazy with ?"
and then a rare magic trak happened lol. probably because i was more relaxed.
he told me after the session over coffee, they have to use certain mics as certain high end clients expect it.

however even mics are undergoing tech change at the budget level.
sometime check out mike , the 35 buk isk pearl mic on vocs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTI1NKbMdIk
and on piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-Al3Xm_9I

best
oldmuso

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
G
G
Ciao a tutti,

Domenica scorsa è arrivata la scheda M-Audio AIR 192/14, il microfono Ammoon a condensatore senza alimentatore (per fortuna la scheda è dotata di alimentatori Phantom) e poi le cuffie Shure SRH 440.
Ho alcune domande da farvi se volete,
1) Dopo avere installato il driver della scheda, e dopo avere collegato la chitarra Ovation ho acceso la scheda, ho subito sentito un ronzio piuttosto fastidioso in cuffia e diminuendo il gain dell'ingresso 5 (chitarra elettrica) il ronzio diminuiva. Addirittura il ronzio scompariva se toccavo contemporaneamente la scheda e le corde della chitarra. Sapreste dirmi se il problema dipende dal cavo della chitarra o da altro ?
2)Nel pannello di controllo audio del PC non posso utilizzare più di un dispositivo sia per la Riproduzione che per la registrazione, quindi posso usare due chitarre elettriche ma non una chitarra e un microfono contemporaneamente. Nel pannello di controllo audio ho provato per la Registrazione la selezione del dispositivo Multichannel M-AUDIO AIR 192 14 ma il risultato è lo stesso. Avete dei suggerimenti ?

Expert
Expert
Google translate:

Quote:
Last Sunday came the M-Audio AIR 192/14 card, the Ammoon condenser microphone without power supply (thankfully the card is equipped with Phantom power supplies) and then the Shure SRH 440 headphones.
I have some questions to ask you if you want,
1) After installing the card driver, and after connecting the Ovation guitar I turned on the card, I immediately heard a rather annoying hum in the headphones and by decreasing the gain of input 5 (electric guitar) the hum decreased. Even the hum disappeared if I touched the board and the guitar strings at the same time. Could you tell me if the problem is with the guitar cable or something else?
2) In the audio control panel of the PC I cannot use more than one device for both playback and recording, so I can use two electric guitars but not a guitar and a microphone at the same time. In the audio control panel I tried for Recording the selection of the M-AUDIO AIR 192 14 Multichannel device but the result is the same. Do you have any suggestions?
I have the same interface you do.

There are 8 channels — you can plug into any of them on the M-Audio AIR 192/14. Normally, 5/6 are for guitars and keyboards that do not have line level outs. Is it any different when you plug into 1–4?

The real problem is grounding or shielding — rather the lack of it. Unless you have a faulty cable, the issue is your guitar.

Before I write 10 long paragraphs about all the possibilities and solutions, what kind of guitar do you have and what kind of pickup(s)?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195