Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, I did some entry of notes using Editable Notation Mode. Upon play back there is quite a delay from the normal time the note should occur. You can see if very clearly on the piano roll I attached. Sounds pretty bad. Is there a cause and solution to this. Its BIAB 2018.

Thanks,
John

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PianoRoll.png (137.47 KB, 170 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 01:30 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
It could be due to several things:

In Options > MIDI/Audio Drivers setup, check the Latency value.

From the help:
"Software synthesizers have some inherent latency, which is the delay between the time a note is played and it is processed by the computer. Older softsynths had noticeable latency, whereas a VSTi/DXi synth using ASIO drivers has very little. This setting is used to synchronize the visual display (notation, chords, virtual piano etc.) with the sound you hear.

Band-in-a-Box automatically sets the latency for VSTi/DXi and some other softsynths.

The [Latency Adjust…] button in the MIDI/Audio Drivers Setup dialog opens the SoftSynth Latency Adjust dialog where you can manually adjust the latency."

There's a video that might help, here:

Search help for 'Quantize', also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I watched the video. I suspect that is not the issue because my latency reading is 30 but it is a theory :-) I attached the "Midi/Audio Drivers Setup" screen.

I did the quantize at 100% and it fixed the piano roll. Now that is a huge time saver over what I have done with manual snapping. Thanks so much VideoTrack! It was the 100% that did it. I attached the screen. I am helping a vocalist in our jam group. Here are the instructions I gave him.

To quantize to 100%, Click Melody on the menu. Click Edit melody track, Quantize time adjust, choose Quantize Melody, then set the % strength to 100 so it forces perfect on the beat timing (choose quantize start times only because you need a bit of a gap between notes if they are the same note such as the "One Note Samba" Song). I also left the Resolution per bar at 16.

But ideally it would be better if the delay did not exist. Here is the interesting part. The lead in bar and the 1st bar were entered a long time ago and the delay was not noticeable with my ear. The 2nd and 3rd bar were entered recently and the delay is a lot larger as you can see on the Piano-roll. I am wondering if I may have been running another software at the time and if it is better to have nothing running but BIAB when entering notation. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regarding latency it would be nice to have a latency analysis software that can give a report. Does this exist? I tried google "computer latency analysis software". Its a deep dive :-)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB_AudioMidi.png (42.44 KB, 148 downloads)
Quantize.png (23.99 KB, 148 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 01:21 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
John every time I work with BiaB or my DAW I always disable anything that can work in the background (anti-virus, anti-malware, ccleaner, etc) as well as disabling my Ethernet card.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Wow MarioD and thanks. I should try that. I need to be sure I get get all that back :-) Caution is the word :-) I guess the software would come back with a restart. Not sure about the card :-) I often have 2 computers running on my home network. Turning the other one off may help.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 01:28 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
...I often have 2 computers running on my home network. Turning the other one off may help.

Probably not, but you can certainly try it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
The way I see it latency should have zero impact on this issue because it is where we click on the screen that determines the time allocation for the note (not when we click and how much time it takes to get to the disk drive). Since PianoRoll mode has a snap mode this should have a snap mode (click behind the line - to the right - and it places it perfectly at the location the line suggests). It seems very strange to me that this idea could have been missed. So maybe there is a snap mode.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 03:30 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

I'll ponder the cause. At the moment, I can't add anything to what's already been discussed.

I can help with a solution, though...

Under "Melody" on the top menu, Select...

1. Edit Melody Track

2. Quantize, Time adjust

3. Timeshift melody (ticks)

4. Use positive values to push the melody later into the song and negative values to drag the melody to an earlier position in the song.

5. Keep in mind that 120 ticks = one quarter note

6. So... from the Piano Roll view, estimate how much you need to shift the melody in terms of quarter notes and multiply that by 120.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Noel, great minds think alike :-) I actually did something similar (see prior post and picture).

I checked for a snap mode. Nothing found. I will probably create a feature request for it. I am not sure why anyone would not want this so it seems more like a bug fix to me.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
... snip ... Regarding latency it would be nice to have a latency analysis software that can give a report. Does this exist? ... snip

John,

If you using a non DXi soft synth, try the Latency Test. It's a style that runs audio on one side of the stereo channel and the midi soft synth on the other side of the stereo channel

Clipboard01.png (33.98 KB, 123 downloads)
Latency button highlighted.
Clipboard02.png (8.9 KB, 123 downloads)
Latency Adjust screen

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Jim. According to the video I watched my Synth is a DXi. The popup on my BIAB shows CoyoteWT. My understanding is this overrides the "MS GS Wavetable Synth". Is this not correct?

But again as per my last post the entry of notes should default to snap and not be effected by latency at all. The only latency should be on playback if any. Here is an analogy. Would you like going to a banking machine and finding you had less money deposited because the machine was slow one day. No. If it takes longer to get there you should still get the same deposit amount. I think like a programmer because am a programmer :-)

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 04:13 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Wow MarioD and thanks. I should try that. I need to be sure I get get all that back :-) Caution is the word :-) I guess the software would come back with a restart. Not sure about the card :-) I often have 2 computers running on my home network. Turning the other one off may help.

You're right, every thing will come back except the Ethernet card. Disable the Ethernet card via the Device Manager then minimize the Device Manger window and it will place it on the taskbar. Prior to either powering down or doing something else other than music just click on the minimized window and activate the Ethernet card. Easy-prezzie!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks MarioD. Maybe I will do some speed tests to see if I can actually cause a very large delay by running a boatload of software in loops. Fifteen MS-Access programs all in an infinite loop. This would be handy because it would prove that latency is in fact the problem.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/26/21 04:37 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
John,

There is a snap mode. It's found in Piano Roll. It will set to many possible beat values.

In Piano Roll Mode, you could certainly activate this, select all the notes and then drag the notes to the beat or part of beat you wanted.

That didn't occur to me last night when I typed my reply.

Regards,
Noel

snap to note value.JPG (27.1 KB, 103 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Noel,

Yes, I used the piano roll snap mode. So in total what I did was this.
The song style is Latin giving 1/16ths in the editable notation mode.
I entered the straight 1/8ths only for the first chorus using editable notation mode.
I then quantized the melody in 1/16th at 100% to get those to perfectly line up.
I tested this by listening and it worked.
I then went back to editable notation mode and used this jump to video method to enter the first set of triplets.
I then went to piano roll mode using the triplet snap to fix the triplets.
I then copied the triplets out to other parts of the 1st chorus to complete the chorus.
----Again the editable notation mode needs a snap to fix to avoid the extra piano roll steps.
----It may have been too tricky for them to program the reading of the screen to do the snap to.
----At least the visual notation snaps to the vertical lines in editable notation mode.
I then used the copy special process to copy the 1st chorus to the 2nd chorus then again to the 3rd chorus.
(see the attached copy special dialog box settings I used).

In the copy special dialog box it shows something I can not figure out.
The only other way I have figured out to copy to the other choruses is to
set the choruses to one then set the choruses to a higher value and enter yes to copy the melody.

John

CopySpecial.png (52.09 KB, 94 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 03/27/21 01:54 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
And to add to the above post,

For swing tunes to quantize you need to humanize to swing feel. This fixes it except it is a tiny bit late. After you have fixed it this way, if you want to make the start times to start exactly on the triplet go to the Quantize melody dialog box, choose a Resolution of 12 to get you 4 beats of triplets per bar and choose 100% and only quantize the start times so that songs like "One Note Samba" do not get screwed up such that the rhythmic same notes do not sound like one long note. See the attached picture.

QuantizeSwing.png (99.83 KB, 80 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 03/27/21 04:46 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

That's very impressive problem solving! As I read it through, I picked up a few things about BIAB that I didn't know. Thanks for taking the time to write it up so clearly.

I'm glad it's sorted out.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Noel,

Recently I have been reminding myself on a daily basis to see every frustration as not a challenge but rather a fun game. There are in fact no exceptions to this including both the game of trying to maximize the length of life and the game of minimizing or even eliminating the pain of death itself. This approach to thinking makes everything easier and more fun. I don't always play the game(s) well but it gets better with practice. Even loosing a game can be treated as a fun mental game it itself. This was just another fun game for me. It made finding the best solution I could find easier.

Hope this gives back.

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/27/21 02:41 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Interesting. I just entered the notes to another swing song using the editable notation mode. I checked the piano roll and it literally entered the start of every single one perfectly (just as if I was using snap mode). The end times could be better but they are often dead on and even when not dead on not a problem. I as usual have a lot of other programs running. Might this be a random bug? Did my quantize work on the prior song do something?

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/27/21 03:14 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Like you, I get caught up in the problem solving because it's fun for me.

Over the years, I've noticed with BIAB that a couple of settings don't seem to kick in until the second use. I'm not sure why that is and I can never remember which ones are involved. I've come across this phenomenon with other programs too (not just PG Music ones).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,576
Posts734,572
Members38,494
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY, Fender601, VIPBET사설토토
38,494 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193