Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Is that the "producers told me to dumb it down" patch?

Kenny Gorelick can really play, seriously. I suspect somebody told him not to, so he would be more popular.

Yes he can. But he laughed all the way to the bank as George Benson and Liberace did, plus a few others I'm sure.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On my CD, the producer told me to include one 'pop' tune, and he had the guitarist and me play 'simpler' solos on that one song. Guess which song is the one most purchased and played?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny Gorelick can really play, seriously.

Yes he can. Find the track Bright Sky from his Jeff Lorber days and THAT is the Kenny G I wanted to see at The Front Row. I paid a scalper for 2nd row seats in the beautiful theater in the round with a stage that made a circle every 2 minutes. The Rippingtons opened. Russ Freeman TORE IT UP!! Jeff Kashiwa was playing sax for them, since Freeman can only play either guitar or sax for live shows, and totally showed Kenny G up. Then out came pretty boy. His first song was a kicker. Then he went all Celine Dion on us. I left during the 4th song. He had started repeating licks already, and he found a way to work his circular breathing into EVERY song. As I would say to Mariah Carey, "I am impressed that you can sing a whole piano. MUST you force feed it into EVERY song?" I mean, I'd get tired of Wagyu Beef if I had it every meal. Make it be special.

He is the best technical player I ever saw, but he is also the whitest dude in America. Holding that soulful instrument in his hands and putting it into his mouth, and all that came out was flat, uninspired, white milk, white bread, vanilla ice cream music. Impressed by his skill, bored by his music. I paid $75 for that $30 ticket and I left during the 4th song. I am Slovenian! We as a people squeeze a nickel 'til the buffalo bleeds. And I left during the 4th song.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is that the "producers told me to dumb it down" patch?

Kenny Gorelick can really play, seriously. I suspect somebody told him not to, so he would be more popular.

Kenny G is an accomplished sax player. His early days with Lorber prove that.

He found a commercial niche that made him a ton of money.

I can't find fault with that, I play commercial music for a living and don't make a ton of money wink

Early in my career someone told me this:

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, or you can play for the general public. If you are good enough you will get the audience you asked for.

I've been playing popular music for the general public for most of my life, and have made a living doing music and nothing but music without having a wage-slave day job.

If someone told me I could be dirty, rotten, stinking rich by playing technically competent but uninspiring 'easy listening' music, I'd do it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't invited to that party wink

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes, I've been told that I sold out because I was playing in a wedding band. But as they were making $25-$50 a gig I was making in the hundreds, thus I just laughed all the way to the bank.

If you want to make money playing music you must play what the audience wants, i.e. know your audience. Period!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Think about all the talented session musicians through the years that have made a living recording "elevator music".

While in the military I met a musician that participated in those types of recording sessions. He loved it as he saw it as "easy money" while maintaining proficency. He enjoyed working with his band mates and thought many of the arrangements were technically sophisticated.

It's more about attitude than anything else.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, I would play in a wedding band, but I wouldn't want to be the band leader. Tell me what to wear, when to show up, what to play, and I'll do my best. But I don't want to do the wedding business end. A bridezilla can be a huge problem.

Most of us have to "sell out" to make a living. Even Beethoven and Mozart catered to the tastes of their sponsors and the prevailing norms of the day, while pushing it only slightly to the future (and getting dissed for that).

I know a guy who went to one of the finest culinary institutes in the country. He's managing a pizza joint. It's making a lot more money than fine dining did. In this town, he could barely eke out a living creating 'art food'. The critics loved it, the customers wanted hamburgers.

I've been accused of selling out by people working 40 hours per week, so that they could play jazz in a club on Monday night. Meanwhile, I was making a living playing popular music and not working a day job. Tell me who is the bigger sell out? I guess that's a matter of opinion.

I've known a number of famous musicians who listen to jazz or classical when they aren't working.

Ian Gillian and Jon Lord of Deep Purple wrote a "Concerto For Group And Orchestra" and performed it with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. But "Smoke On The Water" sold zillions more copies.

There are the few who can play 'art music' and make a lot of money doing so. There are those who can play 'art music' and make a comfortable living. And there are those who can play 'art music' and need a 40 hour per week day job to support their habit.

Me? I'd rather play "Yakety Sax" for the zillionth time than have a day job.

I make a living doing music and nothing but music. Furthermore, I enjoy playing pop music as much as I liked playing 'art music' (jazz and classical) when I had those opportunities.

In our duo we play Rock n Roll, Disco, Big Band Swing, Jazz, Roots R&B, Blues, C&W, Mambo, Merengue, Samba, Calypso, Soca, Reggae, Beach Music, Motown, Classic Oldies, Doo Wòp, New Age, Smooth Jazz, Hip Hop, Broadway Music, and one Opera Song.

What we play depends on the audience we have on the gig. So my sax playing has to adapt to the songs I'm playing. I might be nasty and gritty on one song, and smooth and silky on another.

And I enjoy the variety, trying my best to make each style authentic.

Long ago I found out that if you are a musical chameleon, you have better chances of finding work. And the things I learn in one style of music can teach me about other styles I play. It also helps me write various aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box. If I've played that type of music, I have an understanding on what each instrument should be playing. And since I play sax, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard synth and voice, I have experience doing those jobs.

All of this doesn't seem like work to me. It's just what I do, and when my brain is in the music world, the time passes without me noticing it, and I'm in my bliss. I don't call that selling out, I call it making a living doing what I would do for free.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Did the O/P's question get a little 'off topic'? Just asking wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Did the O/P's question get a little 'off topic'? Just asking wink
No, that never happens here.

I think we did answer the original question, though.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Mario, I would play in a wedding band, but I wouldn't want to be the band leader. Tell me what to wear, when to show up, what to play, and I'll do my best. But I don't want to do the wedding business end. A bridezilla can be a huge problem.

I was the band leader for many years. All five of us voted on what to wear but not what to play, We let each musician play what they wanted as long as it fit the song. We never had a problem. Four of the five were together for years but we went through many bass players!

If we ran into a bridezilla, and we did run into a few, we just didn't take the gig. The lost didn't matter as we had more gigs then we really wanted.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I work weddings for my church. I have pretty good luck with brides.

We did have a groom that was a piece of work though. I understand they were separated 2 months after the wedding.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We did one wedding for a bridezilla who was a catering manager at a Holiday Inn.

The wedding reception was held at a waterfront restaurant. When she arrived there she started yelling at the help "Those flowers were supposed to be over there", and other trivial things like that.

The mood of the crowd fizzled out and never recovered.

------

On the other side of the coin we did a wedding for a couple, and the father of the bride who hosted the event put "overtime until we drop" on the contract.

The cake didn't arrive, no problem, so they went out and bought a sheet cake from a close-by grocery store.

The father of the bride danced with every girl from the youngest tot to the oldest grannie.

We went 6 hours, everybody had a great time.

It's all about attitude and these folks had the right attitude.

------

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
We went 6 hours, everybody had a great time.

It's all about attitude and these folks had the right attitude.

And you would have also put in 150%, because it was so worth it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't ever want to be the business contact again.

I booked a wedding in 1991. It was a $3000 date. We took a $1500 deposit to hold the date open. I called her twice in the interim to get the requests for first dance and all that. I called her 2 weeks before just to check in and reassure her we would be there.

Thursday night before the wedding, the guys went out for the bachelor night. They hit a tree driving home. The Best man died and the groom was in critical condition. Friday, the day before the event, she called me and asked for her deposit back. I explained, as gently as I could, that the deposit was not refundable, that we held that date open for her based n that deposit, that it was already Friday and there was less than a 1% chance that I could get another job the next day, that we had in fact turned down a weekend engagement because we were booked for her wedding the next day, and that 5 people pay bills and feed kids based on that income, that we were not at fault for their decision, and that the deposit was also eternal, meaning that when they got a new date (implying, but not saying, "IF he lives") we'd still play the date for just the balance. She launched into a tirade about how heartless I was and everything you can imagine. I said I would make phone calls and try to get a job for the next night and if she chose to not keep us on contract for when/if the wedding happened I would refund to her the difference of her deposit and what that last minute date paid. I think I did everything I could to accommodate her. Of course I felt bad for her circumstance, but I didn't do it! Business is business and sentiment is sentiment. Sentiment is not acceptable currency when the electric bill is due. The music community here was split half and half on how they viewed me after that story made the rounds. I was either a good businessman or a [*****].

I would make the exact same decision today. A contract is a contract, and hire a bus rather than drink and drive.

He DID live, they DID marry, and we DID play their wedding. And she apologized for the way she yelled at me, that she understood the business aspect now, etc. And I hugged her and said she owed me no explanation, and handed her a card we all signed with a $100 wedding gift in it. They came out to see us play about once a month after that. I teased her the first time they came out saying "Shouldn't you be home making babies???" And she said "Hey, we came out to see you often before the wedding or we wouldn't have known you to ask you to play it!"

That veered into a wedding story, so I guess to tie it back to topic, I will add "I play sax"....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
We once booked a wedding ceremony and reception at a elegant countryside venue with a lodge, acres of grass and trees and a guest house. The guest house was “operation central” where the band met with the bride and her mother to go through the afternoon’s final details. It was also the backdrop to the ceremony.
The meeting soon turned into a shouting match with the bride yelling that if we played the mother’s song we would be fired and the mother yelling the that if we played the bride’s song we would be fired!
I think we played a medley.
Their relationship must have been truly challenging because the bride had a cake for her friends and the mother a cake for her’s.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The worst wedding we played was for a couple where the mother of the bride did not approve. The bride's parents didn't show up and the site of the room where the rest of the bride's family sat were rude. They just sat there, mostly with arms crossed all night. I felt sorry for the new couple.

I've played a lot of good weddings too, but we tend to remember the bad ones because they are the unusual ones.

Before playing the reception on one particular wedding, I played "A Time For Us" on my alto in a big church with lots of reverberation. That was worth the extra money, and if it wasn't my business, I would have done that for free just to hear the reverb.

Playing the alto sax brings this back 'on topic' wink

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Another wedding story...

The bride chose her recorded selections for the wedding.

Grandmother would not have it. She wanted her 12 year old grandson to play piano. No one stood up to grandmother.

The poor kid was terrified of all those folks watching him. He was intimidated by the grand piano we had available. He would only play his keyboard. He must have had the minimal of lessons and only played chords.

Grandmother was happy. The bride was angry.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
I've worked with a few sax, clarinet & trumpet players over the years and I can't recall ever seeing them changing the reed/mouthpiece to attain a variance of tone. And I've never seen them bring more that one instrument to a gig, except if they play both tenor & alto saxes.
That reminds me of the funniest (to me) trumpet story I ever read, and it was told here by our own Mac. It's a long time ago and I hope I do it justice:

Mac plays trumpet and was first chair in an all-state orchestra. The part called for a C trumpet but he only had his Bb (that's not difficult for us if you know how to transpose). He played a solo. The conductor said, wouldn't that sound better on a C trumpet? So Mac took out his mouthpiece, passed the trumpet under his chair, put the mouthpiece back in, and played it again on the same horn. The conductor said, "Ah, much better".

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, please tell me that conductor is now out of the music business...

I was once sitting at home on a Saturday, doing not much of anything. At 4pm my phone ringie dingied. It was a guy I had known for several years bu7t never worked with, and in fact he was the leader of a rival band in the day. He said "East (Eastside) I am in a bad jam. My keyboard player just had his appendix out and I have a wedding tonight. Can you come and fake your way through charts to play the dinner set and then we get to the stuff you know." I said "Sure." So I quickly shower, dress and go. I got there and set up like 10 minutes before we were supposed to start. The dinner stuff was easy for a keyboard player, as the sax carried most of the leads. Green Dolphin Street, Satin Doll, etc... The dedication song was "Endless Love", which I had heard several million times on the radio but never played. He said "It'll be fine. It's charted out and I know you read." So I spread the thing out on the top keyboard, loaded a beautiful Rhodes sound on the Mirage, and off we went. Following along the Bb chart, singing in my head "Love... there's only you in my life...." as he went through the schtick "And the father of the bride, Fritz Sheckleman" or whoever they were. Then we got to the bridge. I followed along to the page marked bridge and it was NOWHERE near what I was supposed to be playing. As I started to panic, faking my way through by ear and familiarity with the song, I started looking at pages, and page 3 and 5 were out of order. So they were laid out 1-2-5-4-3, and to not take my hands off the keys, I played through a 15 minute rendition of that song as everybody came through the line to be introduced following it along out of order. We had a pretty good laugh about that.

So move forward 20 years. That guy was then doing a solo act with just him and his geetar. I had a friend visiting from out of state who grew up here and wanted to see him because of the nostalgia. We went into the place he was playing, out on a big patio. (His band had a local hit called Funky Poodle which he wrote, so I have always called him Poodle, short for "The funkiest poodle of them all".) We walked in just as he ended a song and he looked over and said into the mic "And the Eastside is now represented." as I pointed at him and just said "Hey Poodle". 10 minutes later I sent a note up with a waitress that said "Can you play Sittin' On Bay Dock The Of?" And he laughed. When he came to say high on his break he said "And I know EXACTLY what that meant!" Funny moment with a really nice guy.

Topic relevance: He DOESN'T play sax!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Much of what has been said about Sax, Trumpet and other horns is also true for guitars.

As a general statement, hand my guitar to Jimmy Hendrix and it will sound like Jimmy Hendrix. The signature sound you would expect from a certain artist is mostly about the artist and not the instrument.

Obviously, the final sound from an electric guitar is a function of many parts in the electronic system signal flow through from the interaction of the magnetic field produced by the pickups and surrounding metal to the final speaker in the system. Having said that, pretty much what ever the set up anyone would recognize BB Kings vibrato.

Volumes have been written about microphone selection and placement for recording both electric and acoustic guitars. The more money you have the more mics you are likely to have for better or worse. Millions have been spent on room acoustics.

Bottom line, good horn players can produce whatever sound is possible. String players can do the same.

Nine nine percent perspiration one percent inspiration. Playing a musical instrument well is simple, all it takes is studying and playing around seven hours a day seven days a week for seven years. If you are a fast learner you can cut that seventeen thousand hours down to around seven thousand hours. Work will make you great, talent will make you exceptional.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200