Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Thanx for the heads up Jim.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Jim !

Veteran
Veteran
Wow, this should be on everyones list. thanks for the heads up.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Jim. Audacity is absolutely one of the best audio tools available.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Thanks Jim. Audacity is absolutely one of the best audio tools available.
Except for nearly all the commercially supported DAWs, IMO.

I downloaded 3.0 and my opinion is unchanged. Great for the hobbyist who wants to spend a lot of time fiddling around to get everything right. Useless for pros who bill by the hour and are on deadlines. When Time=$$$, Audacity is the most expensive DAW there is. Second place still belongs to Reaper.

Audacity is still free, true, and still worth every penny.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A little harsh, but accurate. A lot depends on what level of user you are. I use an audio editor every day so I’m very skilled and can make any of several work. My DAW does something different.

Most of the time my workflow is BIAB, then DAW, then stereo audio editor.

You still need different tools for different functions. It also follows that if all you have is a hammer, ...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Yes, I too have and use multiple DAWs and audio editors. In any week 3 to 12 new projects are released for online worship these days.

If Studio One or Audition needed you to go through the levels of nit-noid tinkering that Audacity requires, you'd be an unhappy camper.

For me, Audacity exists so that, when a student (or choir or band member during this pandemic) tells me he/she wants to use it, I can look at it again and make other recommendations. Unfortunately, I have to support what others use to generate the tracks I combined into the finished project.

One look at this page is enough to cause "Oh hell no!" from me.

New in 3.0

Then I downloaded to see it was even worse than that.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Expert
Expert
audacity is simple for simple tasks. i would never dream of using it for music the way I use RB. but for recording 'what you hear' like radio programs or streaming music, normalising the file and converting to mp3 its ideal.

i know it does lots of other things but i'm not prepared for the learning curve when i have RB

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
All.
my opinions.
1.audacity.
i think its great that products like audacity exist.
anything that helps people with limited funds get their musical ideas down is wonderfull imho.
when i read all these "daw software debates" on the net i often think to myself "i bet the hitmakers of the past and platinum and gold record record producers and songwriters woulod "still" produce hits if they only had one daw product. eg audacity in this case".
"because thats their brilliance".

the music biz is crazy imho. but ive been around the block enough and interracted with enough people in it way more talented than i , so i know its more than the gear/rigs used.
if audacity was the only brand available i'm 100 per cent sure that the george martin/beatles combo would still produce "brilliance". they would probably be really happy
with not haveing to worry bout limited no of traks.

frankly "for me" , i like their early more raw songs eg on the "with the beatles" album. i like the energy of these early songs.

2. Reaper.
all i can say bout reaper , haveing been a user since 0.99 release is, and i'm not trying to influence anyone away from their current daw "love".
just read the write ups on it by sound on sound mag on their web site, and goodness knows how many other reviews of it. "then" peruse the many helpfull videos at reaper.fm done by grammy winner kenny Gioia . and read the zillions of comments on the web by people whove moved to it from other daw platforms.
(there are also interesting threads along the lines of "can you produce a great record useing only reapers built in plug ins".)
or, if really sceptical go to reaper.fm and ask users there why they moved to reaper.
once again, i believe the martin/beatles combo would still produce hits if reaper was the only software available.

ps. a thread that stunned me this week re apple and daw work. anyone know anything ?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1347895-audio-drivers-userspace-end-mac-proaudio-era.html

best.
oldmuso

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I personally consider Audacity more an audio editor than a DAW. The program has several feature deficiencies I believe a DAW requires. I dislike that Audacity has little MIDI compatibility. As far as I know Audacity can not accommodate Acidized audio loops.

At the same time I really do not consider Audacity to be an audio editor in the strictest sense of the term. I believe editors should not require storage folder creation but instead rely on whatever storage container the audio file is stored in.

However, it is very good at performing the tasks I ask it to perform.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Veteran
Veteran
I played with it for a week when moving from four track cassette to computer. It was too fiddly and mystifying for me so I quickly left it behind and took up Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 which I quite enjoyed for about 5 years as it was fairly intuitive PLUS I bought the manual. I moved to Reaper in 2010 to facilitate collaboration and have enjoyed it since.
Audacity doesn't do anything I can't do in Reaper.
I used to use WAVEREPAIR to record LPs for conversion to CD and I retain it for the occasional lopping of beginning/end when I've forgotten to edit properly when rendering in Reaper IF I've dithered to 16bit/144.1 1st.
Downplaying Reaper is corksniffing in the main.

Last edited by rayc; 04/02/21 12:38 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
A
A
it's a good piece of software but as with all 'public domain' software it seems to lack any real support. Questions get the stock reply 'read the manual' often followed by a detailed description of which paragraph is relevant. In almost 100% of cases it would be quicker to answer the question laugh

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: ak25
.. as with all 'public domain' software it seems to lack any real support. Questions get the stock reply 'read the manual' often followed by a detailed description of which paragraph is relevant. In almost 100% of cases it would be quicker to answer the question laugh

Yep

Quote:
Downplaying Reaper is corksniffing in the main.

I hear you. When you're on a deadline and Reaper isn't behaving, just call Tech Support at …

Oh wait, no you can't. Reaper doesn't have phone support. It's cheapware and you don't expect it so there it is.

BIAB, DP, Pro Tools, Logic and many others do. Yes, even Logic.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mike Halloran.
re "cheapware" and no phone support comments.
i feel i must comment in reply about reaper and its superb capabilities that have served me well for around 14 years now.
other users like pipeline can verify my comments.
and there are loads of other pg users also, useing it.
1. at no time in my useage have i ever had a problem with reaper where i needed phone support. in fact ive found it so very easy to use i dont think ive ever had to ask for a rapid answer on the user forum (at reaper.fm).
ive found also phone lines can get tied up, as my wife experienced "for the umpteenth time " THIS WEEK with a big (not music product) organisation.
if i ever DID have a problem the reaper user forum is so heavily populated by users from all over the world, from what ive seen over the years, a rapid reply would be forthcoming.
ive had so many problems over the years with various organisations phone support , you have no idea.
ie waiting for ages.
2. imho (and ive worked in the past with some brilliant high level software engineers way better than i ) reaper is a superb piece of software engineering.
(note i have no ties to the cockos company that develops it in any way whatsoever. just a registered user like i am with pg.)
it was even brilliant way way back when i first tried it at 0.99 version.
its now at version 6. if memory serves me well even the versions before version 2 had such features as automation/folders/small footprint includeing running from a usb drive/dongle free/mixing dx and vst plug ins (i can well remember useing pg's nice dx plug ins in early versions, and still do)/a raft of free plug ins that lots of people thought were the bees knees includeing pros, and still do/pdc if i remember/plug in resource useage/advanced audio routing/tuning out of pitch/ripple editing for radio ? and goodness knows what else etc etc etc. the list of features is endless even before version 2.

at that time competitors did not have various of the foregoing features , thus your comments absolutely stun me.
i would respectfully suggest you go on the reaper user forum, and ask both pro and non pro users from all over the world why they love reaper like i do.
or an INDEPENDENT FORUM like www.gearslutz.com music computers section and ask the same question.

(i also love my wife, biab and realband, and steak and kidney pie, and shelby mustangs and caterham sports cars lol << which i cant afford.)

my prediction. the reaper steamroller will continue.

all the best to you.
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/06/21 01:06 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Everyone has their personal preferences and specific needs. I use Audacity for almost every song I post. I find it does everything I need it to. And I am using using Audacity 3.0. But have used the previous versions prior to the 3.0 release a short while back.

Perhaps my needs are considerably less demanding than most of you. But I am very pleased with it.

Below is a song I recorded a few days ago using nothing but BIAB 2021 (Windows version). I sent the tracks directly from the BIAB chord input sheet to Audacity 3.0. After working the tracks over a bit in Audacity, I posted to Soundcloud and used their mastering software (it's an upgrade option at SoundCloud). I am very happy with the results. My wife is the vocalist. The backing tracks have been "touched" by nothing but the BIAB chord input sheet (no RB), Audacity and the Soundcloud mastering option. I think it came out really nice.

The vocal was recorded through an AT2035 condenser mic into a Peavey Nashville 112 Guitar amp. I use the Peavey amp in lieu of a mixing board because I prefer the sound "color" it gives our vocals. I use the headphone-out of the amp and plug it straight into my desktop's mic-in port and record the vocals directly into Audacity and then adjust the vocal in Audacity. I then blend the vocals with the BIAB tracks already loaded into Audacity. I then send to a premade desktop folder as both a WAV file and a high bit rate MP3. I then upload to Soundcloud when I want to.

Audacity is the closest thing I use to a DAW. But, again, perhaps my needs are far lesser than those of other folks. But, I do like the final sound I get using Audacity. So far, we've had 28 songs picked up for one opportunity or another using this very method. Not a single one of them went through a traditional DAW.

No matter your needs, preferences, and wants, good luck to everyone with their music.

Alan

If you're interested, here's the link to our latest song (it's a 1960s era Bosaa Nova): https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/you-remix

Last edited by Al-David; 06/01/21 07:54 AM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nice testimonial for Audacity. I love using Audacity for single track waveform screen shots. The GUI or interface really lends itself to focusing attention on the track waveform instead of the program.

As with everything, Audacity is a nice tool to have in your production toolbox.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Everyone has their personal preferences and specific needs. I use Audacity for almost every song I post. I find it does everything I need it to. And I am using using Audacity 3.0. But have used the previous versions prior to the 3.0 release a short while back.

Perhaps my needs are considerably less demanding than most of you. But I am very pleased with it.

...If you're interested, here's the link to our latest song (it's a 1960s era Bosaa Nova): https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/you-remix

Hi Alan, what a gorgeous song! Di did a great job with the vocals! Thanks for sharing it and for sharing your workflow.

I like Audacity, as well, and have downloaded the new version.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Expert
Expert
Anyone else having a problem recording an audio stream with the new Audacity? I'm still trying to set the options, no luck yet. I have NCH Soundtap as a backup recorder, but still....(I do a bit of bouncing back and forth.)

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for what Alan said ^^

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195